Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,497 members, 7,808,845 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:49 PM

I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari (26236 Views)

US: Buhari’s Agenda Very Well Matches Ours / Don’t Let Nigerian Businessmen Into My Meetings In The US, Buhari Warn Aides / I’ll Restore Military Ties With US –buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by lolaxavier(m): 6:00am On Apr 15, 2015
The President-elect, Maj. Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), on Tuesday said his administration would restore military cooperation with the United States of America.

In an article published by the New York Times in its Tuesday edition, Buhari promised to among other things reformed the military.

The outgoing President Goodluck Jonathan-led administration had cancelled the training component of its military cooperation with the US citing a lack of sincerity on the part of the Americans for its decision.

But Buhari said, “My administration would welcome the resumption of a military training agreement with the United States, which was halted during the previous administration. We must, of course, have better coordination with the military campaigns our African allies, like Chad and Niger, are waging in the struggle against Boko Haram. But, in the end, the answer to this threat must come from within Nigeria.”

Buhari also said he would deploy additional troops in the battle foul away from civilian areas in the south and the north central parts of the country.

In the article, the President-elect said, in the fight to end the Boko Haram insurgency, “We must start by deploying more troops to the front and away from civilian areas in central and southern Nigeria where for too long they have been used by successive governments to quell dissent.

“We must work closer with our neighbours in coordinating our military efforts so an offensive by one army does not see their country’s rid of Boko Haram only to push it across the border onto their neighbour’s territory.”

A member of the Buhari team, who pleaded for anonymity because he was not authorised to speak to the media said, “Without being told, you should know that what he is simply saying is that under his administration, the military will revert to their constitutional role of defending the nation against external aggression QED.”

It was also gathered that the military would be overhauled and professionalised while the police would be better empowered to take the leading role in internal security.

According to the New York Times article, which carried Buhari’s byline, the incoming administration will aside from using the military to deal with the terrorists’ threat, it will pay greater attention to counter-terrorism initiatives.

Buhari noted that his administration would seek to address why young people were attracted to join the sect. He identified some of the reasons to include poverty and ignorance.

[b]He said, “Indeed Boko Haram – which translates in English, roughly, as “western education is sinful” – preys on the perverted belief that the opportunities that education brings are sinful.

“If you are starving and young, and in search of answers as to why your life is so difficult, fundamentalism can be alluring. We know this for a fact because former members of Boko Haram have admitted it: They offer impressionable young people money and the promise of food, while the group’s mentors twist their minds with fanaticism.

“So, we must be ready to offer the parts of our country affected by this group an alternative. Boosting education will be a direct counter-balance to Boko Haram’s appeal.

“In particular we must educate more young girls, ensuring they will grow up to be empowered through learning to play their full part as citizens of Nigeria and pull themselves up and out of poverty. Indeed, we owe it to the schoolgirls of Chibok to provide as best an education as possible for our fellow young citizens."[/b]

He observed that Boko Haram feeds off despair, lack of hope that things can improve. The former Head-of State also argued that by attacking a school, and kidnapping more than 200 schoolgirls, it sought to strike at the very place where hope for the futurewas being nurtured, and the promise of a better Nigeria.

“It is our intention to show Boko Haram that it will not succeed,” he said.

The retired army general also promised that his administration would not only defeat the sect militarily, it would ensure that it provides the very education the sect despises to help our people help themselves.

Quoting the late Nelson Mandela, Buhari said the sect would soon learn that “education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/ill-restore-military-ties-with-us-buhari/

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by Ezedon(m): 6:02am On Apr 15, 2015
Anyone that drive trailer with mouth, no de get accident, meanwhile FTC in FCT

72 Likes 12 Shares

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by Ezedon(m): 6:03am On Apr 15, 2015
Easier said than done

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by Nobody: 6:04am On Apr 15, 2015
That's what the US want so they build camps

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by eleko1: 6:06am On Apr 15, 2015
Spot on sir.Jona and his miserable PDP has done maximum damage to our dear Military.GOd bless BUHARI cool God bless NIG Soldiers,GOd bless NGRS. NB.Sir,help us to remove those useless,incompetence peeps like Ogar,Sulaimon,Badeh,Minimah,MBU angry sad etc comot

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by lolaxavier(m): 6:07am On Apr 15, 2015
Ezedon:
Easier said than done

Buhari sounds more directional in his efforts to combat insurgency. His plans may not be full proof. It might not be 100% achievable but there is a focus and that's what Nigerians are riding on.

He is yet to start and take the reins of power. Let him have some periods on the throne first to exercise his power before casting doubts. After all, someone was there for six years and never had a clue as to how to stir the nation.

74 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by ademega(m): 6:07am On Apr 15, 2015
Hmmmm . I pray God help you my General

11 Likes

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by gaetano: 6:12am On Apr 15, 2015
ok na, biko dont also forget to.....

1. Stabilize world oil price.
2. Make 1Naira=1dollar

na u promise us o. Cos i'm still watching with my 3D glasses.

78 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by BeeBeeOoh(m): 6:12am On Apr 15, 2015
Promise here & there, somebody help me tell GMB sey I dey jot all hin promises down incase if he tries to deny any1. It will be so clueless of him if he's just a toothless bull dog.. Nigerians are watching, besides

[size=16pt]Action Speaks Louder Than ..... [/size]

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by chidekings(m): 6:14am On Apr 15, 2015
one of the reasons i love Gej.. Nigerian should not be a western puppet,lets look east to russia and china.

117 Likes 12 Shares

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by lolaxavier(m): 6:16am On Apr 15, 2015
BeeBeeOoh:
Promise here & there, somebody help me tell GMB sey I dey jot all hin promises down incase if he tries to deny any1. It will be so clueless of him if he's just a toothless bull dog.. Nigerians are watching, besides

[size=16pt]Action Speaks Louder Than ..... [/size]

Guy, relax...He is telling you what he has in plans to do when he takes over. At least, jona has to leave there first before he can do anything. I tire for una o...ahn ahn...

14 Likes

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by illiad: 6:19am On Apr 15, 2015
Oga abeg start with one point agenda. Give us light. Only light and you would have written your name in gold.

Abeg don't follow apc ways or this country would burn.

19 Likes

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by egift(m): 6:23am On Apr 15, 2015
Buhari's Presidency is a brand new opportunity for Nigerians.

^^^^^This will not happen. NeverAgain.

31 Likes

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by texazzpete(m): 6:24am On Apr 15, 2015
illiad:
Oga abeg start with one point agenda. Give us light. Only light and you would have written your name in gold.

Abeg don't follow apc ways or this country would burn.

Unlike Clueless Joe, good leaders are able to multi-task. Do not cling to only one deliverable. Expect 5, at a minimum!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by texazzpete(m): 6:26am On Apr 15, 2015
chidekings:
one of the reasons i love Gej.. Nigerian should not be a western puppet,lets look east to russia and china.

... Because Russia and China themselves are not good puppet masters?

You guys know nothing about history. Any big power allying with you will seek to use you. Nothing wrong with being a friend to all, let them court you with gifts.

Dine with the devil with long spoon and you'll be fine. Jonathan was trying to dine with a teaspoon.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by texazzpete(m): 6:29am On Apr 15, 2015
gaetano:
ok na, biko dont also forget to.....

1. Stabilize world oil price.
2. Make 1Naira=1dollar

na u promise us o. Cos i'm still watching with my 3D glasses.

Keep watching with your hate-filled eyes. The rest of us Patriots will look to Buhari for good governance.... Which encompasses a whole lot of things. Including security, power, respect for human rights, a strong anti-corruption campaign and a restoration of Nigerian pride.

If Buhari does not deliver, we vote out APC in 2019.

30 Likes

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by harrysterol(m): 6:29am On Apr 15, 2015
Gen. Buhari make promises u can fulfil because we will later hold u accountable come 2019

6 Likes

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by chidekings(m): 6:30am On Apr 15, 2015
texazzpete:

... Because Russia and China themselves are not good puppet masters?

You guys know nothing about history. Any big power allying with you will seek to use you. Nothing wrong with being a friend to all, let them court you with gifts.

Dine with the devil with long spoon and you'll be fine. Jonathan was trying to dine with a teaspoon.

bro do ur research well..a wicked russia is 100 percent better than a good USA

42 Likes

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by PassingShot(m): 6:30am On Apr 15, 2015
This type of well articulated plan and responses to issues is what drives the GEJites of this forum nuts.

Some of them have already started casting doubts and aspersions on the General's well marshalled plans.

What shall it profit TANoids to lose the presidency woefully due to hate campaign and still continue in the same campaign after the loss?

One thing that is certain is GMB will outperform his predecessors put together because he has the political will which they lacked.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by illiad: 6:33am On Apr 15, 2015
texazzpete:

Unlike Clueless Joe, good leaders are able to multi-task. Do not cling to only one deliverable. Expect 5, at a minimum!

Pls I do not like to be quoted by moronic apc fans. Am a nigerian with serious concerns as to the safety of my country.
Apc is a danger waiting to be soon self ignited.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by TeamSimple(m): 6:35am On Apr 15, 2015
Any move to make Nigeria safe and secured is allowed. I believe baba knows much about the u.s army and how they operate while on external duties.

4 Likes

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by lolaxavier(m): 6:36am On Apr 15, 2015
TeamSimple:
Anything to make Nigeria safe and secured is allowed

Gbam...true talk...

1 Like

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by VcStunner(m): 6:38am On Apr 15, 2015
lolaxavier:

Buhari sounds more directional in his efforts to combat insurgency. His plans may not be full proof. It might not be 100% achievable but there is a focus and that's what Nigerians are riding on.

He is yet to start and take the reins of power. Let him have some periods on the throne first to exercise his power before casting doubts. After all, someone was there for six years and never had a clue as to how to stir the nation.
I A̶̲̥̅♏ watching you cry .... Only if u knew u wuld have been watching the other guy too

1 Like

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by barbstee(m): 6:40am On Apr 15, 2015
ride on baba
#in-baba-we-trust

3 Likes

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by Octaves(m): 6:43am On Apr 15, 2015
E don start. Just don't make us their puppet.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by tit(f): 6:43am On Apr 15, 2015
Buhari releases another lie!
will he dash them his forty cows before they agree to continue spying in Nigeria?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by fitzmayowa: 6:43am On Apr 15, 2015
We are not interested in how you get the job done what nigerians are interested in is getting results, if restoring relationship with US will secure the country better then i say they should go for it...IMO

9 Likes

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by Nairalane: 6:46am On Apr 15, 2015
Good Foreign Policy In View
Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by Armaggedon: 6:49am On Apr 15, 2015
Two weeks later 'i didn't say i will restore ties with us'

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by signz: 6:55am On Apr 15, 2015
This is the opinion of a beegeagle blogger.

Ola on April 15, 2015 at 4:25 am
I just read this. http://www.punchng.com/news/ill-restore-military-ties-with-us-buhari/
Could somebody please read into this and inteprete it?
In my huble opinion, this is not the time for a government to kowtow to the US. Govt should speedily focus on speedily modernising and reorganizing the army, development of domestic technological platforms that are of military importance, see to the acquisition of state of the equipment and complimentary technology transfer to all arms of the military and lastly, make the military grow to at a faster projection than our economy. Largest economy on the continent should feature the strongest and one of the best armies on the continent and in the world. In my humble opinion again, US should not play a frontal role in this. There is no nation in the world that has been able to develop her domestic military industry by relying on the US. Even Japan and South Korea have had to restrategise in recent times because of the rising threat from China while their romance with their US ally has left them backward. US is only interested in selling their weapons to you, if they like you. They will NEVER help your domestic development militarily. Meanwhile, the day you offend them, they ground your entire army with embargo on spares!
Even our dear MoD in the UK is slowly realising dependency on the US only keeps you back and we would see the UK military slowly reducing it’s dependence on the US and NATO and re-awakening their domestic military industries in the next decade. I hope Buhari will not sell out Nigeria as a “thank you” to those who helped to bully and blackmail Jonathan out of office. Please note that I don’t have any political affiliations and I honestly don’t care who wins in an election, so long as the person moves Nigeria forward and does the needful!

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by Nobody: 6:55am On Apr 15, 2015
this baba go commot our eyes for russia and china! una see wetin una don cause? you voted a puppet! chai! GEJ where are you?

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I'll Restore Military Ties With US - Buhari by RockMaxi: 6:58am On Apr 15, 2015
Ezedon:
Anyone that driver trailer with mouth, no de get accident

This your concorted statement na die. cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Welcoming Theophilus Danjuma To The Morning After One-nigeria - The Cable / Wike: PDP’s Loss Of Bayelsa Poses Serious Threat To Rivers / 7 Benefits Of Executive Bills Signed By President Tinubu (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.