Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,859 members, 7,802,754 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:51 PM

Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? (5222 Views)

Man Surprises Wife With N15million Benz Just To Say 'Thank You' / Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? / What My In-Laws Served Me (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by xynerise: 9:11am On Apr 15, 2015
I always say thank you to the wait staff before and after a meal. I don't know why and when I say it but I just say it and feel ashamed later undecided

I do this often. Is there anyone here doing or have done this before?

2 Likes

Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by Merlissa(f): 9:16am On Apr 15, 2015
I do it too

even to the door man..

its simple courtesy, it goes a long way to them!

11 Likes

Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by Nobody: 9:19am On Apr 15, 2015
Nope, I just say "B*tch come over here, where's my bill?"
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by Nobody: 9:20am On Apr 15, 2015
I do that always...I see it as a way of appreciating them on their job.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by Enegod(m): 9:21am On Apr 15, 2015
if the service is shitty…I ain't saying any shiit undecided
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by dajoaneke(m): 9:21am On Apr 15, 2015
They are hmans you know and we all have feelings. Dont be surprised that waitress knows your job & is smarter than you.

1 Like

Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by DuchessLily(f): 9:26am On Apr 15, 2015
Yeah! I do
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by AndreRose(f): 9:31am On Apr 15, 2015
Yah I do. It happens unconsciously; you just say it without knowing. Op you don't need to feel ashamed there's nothing wrong with doing that, it depicts courtesy

3 Likes

Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by loomer: 9:35am On Apr 15, 2015
Sure, their smiles alone go u say thank u
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by veave(f): 9:45am On Apr 15, 2015
Not all the time. You do not expect me to say thank you to a waiter who is clumsy, rude or mixes up your order do you?
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by cescky(m): 10:47am On Apr 15, 2015
it only means your well cultured

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by DollyParton1(f): 10:55am On Apr 15, 2015
I say thank you to anybody that has ever rendered me their services, not limited to restaurants only. I think thats expected.

5 Likes

Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by SirShymexx: 12:10pm On Apr 15, 2015
DollyParton1:
I say thank you to anybody that has ever rendered me their services, not limited to restaurants only. I think thats expected.

Darn! You are tight-fisted. Lol

Ordinary "Thank You" isn't enough - you need to imbibe the culture of giving tips. It goes a long way.

I know nyggahs don't give tips, but you can't be niggerish forever. tongue grin

1 Like

Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by Tovot: 12:11pm On Apr 15, 2015
Yes I say thank you because she is not my slave even if she was a slave, she is still a human. The waitress job she is doing is a paid job. its the same thing as someone coming to your office and you render services to them, ofcourse they'ld tell you thank you. There is no need to feel ashamed @op.
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by tpiadotcom: 12:15pm On Apr 15, 2015
What's the reason for the question?
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Apr 15, 2015
Yes I do...
I even say it to cab men and at times bus drivers and conductors...
Most of those times I am at their mercy...
They had some powers to do and undo things....
Giving it out doesn't cost me anything and can just mean a lot to someone
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by tpiadotcom: 1:10pm On Apr 15, 2015
Why not ask them if thank you should not be accompanied by a tip.
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by Nikapetrelli(f): 1:17pm On Apr 15, 2015
I do that,is ntin to be ashamed of
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by Mamaflex(f): 1:18pm On Apr 15, 2015
No. They thank me instead.
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by DollyParton1(f): 2:01pm On Apr 15, 2015
SirShymexx:

Darn! You are tight-fisted. Lol

Ordinary "Thank You" isn't enough - you need to imbibe the culture of giving tips. It goes a long way.

I know nyggahs don't give tips, but you can't be niggerish forever. tongue grin

Lolz ...m cheesy cheesy I give tips always. Even if the waiter/waitress was rude .
Just saying I say thank you every where. You don't expect me to give the bus driver or a cashier at the till tips.
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by SirShymexx: 2:06pm On Apr 15, 2015
DollyParton1:

Lolz ...m cheesy cheesy I give tips always. Even if the waiter/waitress was rude .
Just saying I say thank you every where. You don't expect me to give the bus driver or a cashier at the till tips.

Open ya mouth...I can see porky pies in there loool. Naija chics are tight as fvck - it is all about freebies loool.

When was the last time you gave anyone a tip?
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by DollyParton1(f): 2:19pm On Apr 15, 2015
SirShymexx:

Open ya mouth...I can see porky pies in there loool. Naija chics are tight as fvck - it is all about freebies loool.

When was the last time you gave anyone a tip?
I don't need to lie on issues like this. angry angry angry
The last time I was at a hair dressing salon, I left a tip.
You just have to generalize don't you? And how many naija chics do u even know. angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by SirShymexx: 2:46pm On Apr 15, 2015
DollyParton1:

You just have to generalize don't you? And how many naija chics do u even know. angry angry angry

Lol. Why are you getting emosh (emotional) now? Bring ya batty here, let me smack it. tongue

Just trying to teach you the art of giving tips...good to know you do it already lol.

Hair dressing? Brazilian hair or Somalian hair? Loool
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by tpiaT: 2:51pm On Apr 15, 2015
DollyParton1:

some places you are expected to leave tips.

other places, you are not.

i think possibly places that are unionized (officially/legally) do not push for tips, since they push for salary increases instead.
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by DollyParton1(f): 3:19pm On Apr 15, 2015
tpiaT:

some places you are expected to leave tips.

other places, you are not.

i think possibly places that are unionized (officially/legally) do not push for tips, since they push for salary increases instead.
My point exactly. It is just shameful to stand up from a table after being served by a waiteress/waiter without leaving a tip. Those people depend heavily on the tips.
I give tips to anyone I can give to.
You dont expect me to tip a bus driver, or a nurse (well Nigeria is an exception). In cases like this a "Thank you" should suffice.
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by DollyParton1(f): 3:22pm On Apr 15, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol. Why are you getting emosh (emotional) now? Bring ya batty here, let me smack it. tongue

Just trying to teach you the art of giving tips...good to know you do it already lol.

Hair dressing? Brazilian hair or Somalian hair? Loool

Lol... you want to teach me the act of giving tips? Find another pupil. tongue tongue.

I do Liberian hair. tongue tongue
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by tpiadotcom: 3:51pm On Apr 15, 2015
DollyParton1:

My point exactly. It is just shameful to stand up from a table after being served by a waiteress/waiter without leaving a tip. Those people depend heavily on the tips.
I give tips to anyone I can give to.
You dont expect me to tip a bus driver, or a nurse (well Nigeria is an exception). In cases like this a "Thank you" should suffice.

tips are expected overseas in certain occupations.

In Nigeria too, people sometimes tip bus conductors, food servers, etc.

I think bus drivers are unionized and have good pay and benefits, likewise nurses (abroad). In Nigeria, tips for non-food related professions can be in various forms such as food items, beverages, clothing, etc. Not just cash. Actually, they'd be considered gifts, not tips.
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by mizzsmilez(f): 4:10pm On Apr 15, 2015
No.
Why should I?
Isn't the tip enough to indicate appreciation?
Isn't service delivery one of the things I paid for?
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by chinnelle(f): 4:14pm On Apr 15, 2015
I do it always
knowingly and unknowingly
cheesy
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by SirShymexx: 4:24pm On Apr 15, 2015
DollyParton1:

Lol... you want to teach me the act of giving tips? Find another pupil. tongue tongue.

I do Liberian hair. tongue tongue

Lol. I own 90% of ya batty like the naija Jews . So, it is my ordained right from the most high to give you tips on how to tip. Call it the art/act of tipping 101. tongue

Darn! I now see why ya hair is super-nappy lol.
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by bukatyne(f): 4:27pm On Apr 15, 2015
xynerise:
I always say thank you to the wait staff before and after a meal. I don't know why and when I say it but I just say it and feel ashamed later undecided

I do this often. Is there anyone here doing or have done this before?

Lol!

I used to greet everyone I come across at a point grin

Say thank you and hi to everyone for every service

It is courtesy cheesy
Re: Do You Say “thank You” To Waiter/waitress When Served In A Restaurant? by Ewuro4: 5:22pm On Apr 15, 2015
It's a Simple Courtesy to say 'thank you' to service providers. Waitress, cable guy, handymen, Cops, etc

15% is a must for waitresses , I usually tip more if the service is superb!

*Check on me occasionally when my food is running late.
*Check on me to find out if my food tastes good.
*Top up my drinks
*Put a smile on your face

You'll earn yourself 25% for sure.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is It Possible Today, That A Married Man Would Not Cheat On His Wife? / My Neighbor Impregnated My Wife. Please Help!! / At What Age Should A Father Stop Bathing His Daughter?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.