Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,400 members, 7,808,432 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:54 AM

Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent (7817 Views)

My Parents Divorce Left My Life In Shambles / Help!!..did I Marry The Wrong Lady? / How Third Parties Involvement Ruin My Parents Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by lovereigns(f): 1:56pm On Jan 29, 2009
Can i go ahead and marry my guy without my parents' consent,as they believe he is not rich enough to marry their daughter, what is the importance of the parents consent per se, pls help out
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by JJYOU: 2:03pm On Jan 29, 2009
you need their support/ consent far more than you know.
how old are you and the guy?
how long have you guys known and does he work?
is it only the wealth thing your parents disapprove of?
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by Tgirl4real(f): 2:23pm On Jan 29, 2009
I will not support you go ahead with marriage without your parents consent cos you will live with the regret forever. It doesn't mean your marriage will fail though, but you will always miss your family union.
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by lovereigns(f): 2:46pm On Jan 29, 2009
26 AND 30 RESPECTIVELY with 5years of courtship,they actually expect me to mary a society person like them,but he is a federal worker and to them he can never be able to take care of me and they dont want him to disgrace them, they want a man who can afford a one in town wedding and that can afford a trip to swizerland for honeymoon,he dont have much,but i love him with the little he has,THEIR ONLY REASON IS THAT HE IS A PAUPER
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by Rogo: 4:05pm On Jan 29, 2009
refuse your parent ideas, if you miss him na you know. there are many ways God uses to bless a man. God can bless both of us just after the marriage i have witness such. tell your parent to consider you happiness.
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by MrCrackles(m): 4:07pm On Jan 29, 2009
undecided
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by sparta(f): 4:53pm On Jan 29, 2009
Hey, are you the same person who brought her case to inspiration fm yesterday evening 28/01/09? just curious? Anyway its a two way thing, One your parents fight is not entirely selfish, parents are just usually protective of their children. Two their reasons are just not valid, as long as your man is responsible, hardworking and ambituous then you dont have a problem. You have been with him for five years so i cant say you are infatuated, i believe you guys love each other . Not all marriages have parental consent and some have turned out so well. Try and convince them futher,, if they refuse, go ahead, you are sure too suceed together. I stand to be corrected. Wish you the best! wink
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by homosapien(m): 4:01am On Jan 30, 2009
hi frankly speaking,the blessing of ones parent is more than a live of labor.likewise their curse can never be avated by the greatest herbalist.in other not fall victim,go meet the elder in your family so that they will talk some senses into their head.above all put the matter in prayer either moslem or christian blocs i believe with God everything is possible.good luck
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by jamace(m): 10:03am On Jan 30, 2009
Sister, go and cry very well for your parents to give their consent. After all, the bobo is a federal worker and not a thief. If your parents are that rich and wish that you be like them, then they should allow you to marry him and then put your husband on their own payroll. There is nothing bad about that abi . That's what they want now angry.
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by JJYOU: 1:20pm On Jan 30, 2009
they are your parents not your enemies. go out of your way and be nice to them. let them know you dont mean them no harm or intend bringing shame.

you are better having parental blessings dont let nobody deceive you. i wish your inlaws would adopt you as theirs but my experience is that not having your parents backing you makes you vulnerable in a relationship.

you are still young if it takes the next year being the best child of your parents go ahead and get what you want.

hope the man deserves all this agro? dont run off with a man that would send you packing soon. your loss would be too much. you still have opportunity to redeem this situation
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by lovereigns(f): 5:26pm On Mar 12, 2009
Thanks so much for all the contributions, am so grateful.I decided to follow homosapien's idea cos i had actually tried every other advices aforetime.
It invovled a lot of travelling which i did, met with all the elders they called the young man questioned him so many other things.To my surprise everyone of them were pleased and the wedding preparation is now on, smileyso so grateful to you all and i think am proud of nairaland(my unseen advisers)INDEED THE VOICE OF GOD IS WITHIN THE VOICE OF THE MULTITUDE SOMETIMES
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by sparta(f): 5:38pm On Mar 12, 2009
Congrats girl, whao am so happy for you. God is good! Ehn but sha o you have to invite us to the wedding o, abi no rice for nairalanders.
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by sikaz: 7:01pm On Mar 12, 2009
I've been enjpying a blissful marriage for twenty one years.

Do you know why?

Well, l informed my parents who did the correctthings in accordance
with our tradition and culture.

Believe me,l don't know of any marriage that lacks the parental
blessings that ever last long.

You "modern children" may want to argue about this,but,
l know what l'm talking about.If you do your research very well.
you wiln realised that the trust is being said here.

All the same,nhow that you have done the correct thing,

May God bless the marriage ,Amen!

Sikaz
www.parentingparadise.com
http://parentingsecretswithkazeem..com
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by TOYOSI20(f): 7:10pm On Mar 12, 2009
You can, . . . but i wouldnt advice it!! undecided
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by Sissy3(f): 12:36am On Mar 13, 2009
Tgirl4real:

I will not support you go ahead with marriage without your parents consent cos you will live with the regret forever. It doesn't mean your marriage will fail though, but you will always miss your family union.

couldnt agree more with u!

i mean u will always miss that feeling of having ur family support
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by iice(f): 9:49am On Mar 14, 2009
Yes you can, so long as you are prepared for all that that entails, breaking of certain bonds.
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by SeanT21(f): 4:22pm On Mar 14, 2009
You can as long as you both love each other.

Parents can go sit down somewhere.
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by Pepeye(f): 5:59pm On Mar 14, 2009
Marriage is an institution that is easy to come out from, if u go into it without the right ingredients. . .so it’s a yes and no answer . . . depends on if u can actually weather the storm alone. . ur ability to mange, be patience and focused is very important for any marriage that would last the test of time
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by bigbumper(f): 4:15pm On Mar 17, 2009
Judging from the number of "no"  responses to the topic on this thread, I am amazed arranged marriage is rampant in Nigeria shocked shocked shocked

And to think I would marry someone I don't love because my parents knows best/wants the best for me i.e. a rich person lipsrsealed I will steal their money and disown them before that can happen, and would later return like the prodigal son to seek forgiveness cool

And yes, I was wrong to disobey them, but then it would be wrong on their part if they cannot forgive me too, so everyone wins in the end grin
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by Treetop20(m): 6:11pm On Mar 17, 2009
big_bumper:

Judging from the number of "no"  responses to the topic on this thread, I am amazed arranged marriage is rampant in Nigeria shocked shocked shocked

And to think I would marry someone I don't love because my parents knows best/wants the best for me i.e. a rich person lipsrsealed I will steal their money and disown them before that can happen, and would later return like the prodigal son to seek forgiveness cool

And yes, I was wrong to disobey them, but then it would be wrong on their part if they cannot forgive me too, so everyone wins in the end grin
sometimes that is not always true
i know someone who is suffering from family issues now
simply because she(benin) married a yoruba man
even with a kid in tow her family still is not willing to forgive and accept her husband.

the amount of women saying yes to the men is very slim

Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by bigbumper(f): 9:30pm On Mar 17, 2009
Treetop20:

sometimes that is not always true
i know someone who is suffering from family issues now
simply because she(benin) married a yoruba man
even with a kid in tow her family still is not willing to forgive and accept her husband.

the amount of women saying yes to the men is very slim

Lol, when I said everybody wins, what I meant was that " I get to keep the money I stole and the man I love whilst my parents would be happy to have their prodigal daughter back, at least that is better than losing me forever grin grin grin

But the story you illustrated is a bit sad though, she already has a child with the man, would they rather she be a divorcee and an after-1 because they don't like her choice?
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by Tgirl4real(f): 12:24am On Mar 18, 2009
Thatz how it is busybody. Some families will never forgive or forget. I am glad d poster has sorted herself out.

Iyalode, I sure say dat ya first post na joke
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by Treetop20(m): 12:31am On Mar 18, 2009
big_bumper:

Lol, when I said everybody wins, what I meant was that " I get to keep the money I stole and the man I love whilst my parents would be happy to have their prodigal daughter back, at least that is better than losing me forever grin grin grin

But the story you illustrated is a bit sad though, she already has a child with the man, would they rather she be a divorcee and an after-1 because they don't like her choice?
i really cannot say.
her parents went through the same thing when they were
about to get married and you would think that they would
handle it differently. simply because he is not from a tribe they like
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by Ndipe(m): 3:00am On Mar 18, 2009
Strive hard to gain their blessings, assemble the elders in your village to intercede on your behalf. And, if they dont suceed, honey, go ahead with your wedding plans. Lets hope eventually, they will accept him as a son in-law. And if not, oh well, it's not your loss.
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by osisi2(f): 5:46pm On Mar 18, 2009
SeanT21:

You can as long as you both love each other.

Parents can go sit down somewhere.

You must not be married and know next to nothing about marriage
wetin be love?
For the most part any woman marrying a man without her parent's consent is signed up for a life of misery.
Marriage can be tough and rough,it's not a bed of roses
A mean spirited man who knows his wife has no parental backing will show that woman pepper knowing she has no one on her side.
bad idea.
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by Nobody: 8:20am On Mar 19, 2009
Yes, you can marry without your parents consent.

It's your life, not theirs.
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by keyremotes(m): 4:56pm On Mar 20, 2009
Siena:

Siena, I STRONGLY disagree with you on this one my brother.

Oyibo people fit do am o. But it is not the way we were brought up in Africa.
How will the family of the other party ever respect you?

There are a lot of VERY GOOD "traditions" to emulate from Africa which we as Africans ought to be proud of.
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by Ndipe(m): 8:53pm On Mar 20, 2009
keyremotes:

Siena, I STRONGLY disagree with you on this one my brother.

Oyibo people fit do am o. But it is not the way we were brought up in Africa.
How will the family of the other party ever respect you?

There are a lot of VERY GOOD "traditions" to emulate from Africa which we as Africans ought to be proud of.

Oh well, let me ask you this question. Supposing you know a guy, whose parents are totally against intertribal marriage, because they are tribalists, and the guy efforts to settle down has been aborted by his parents stance not to marry outside their tribe, should he abandon his desires to fulfil his parents wishes, or go on with his marital plans?
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by REALTRUTH1: 1:28pm On Mar 21, 2009
Siena:

Stupid talk people make, even in advance world like US,,responsible couples still seek their paents consent,,,Ben Afleck refused getting married to Jennifer Lopez because of his mum objection of the relationship.You are saying its your life,,,if your parents had abandoned you and fail to give you the kind of care and training they gave to you,,am sure you would be a misfit and won't be attracted by any lady out there.
Whatever the case, if your parents object ur relationship or marriage,,,do everything within ur power to convince them of the relationship.I mean everything possible provide reasonable answers to their fears and doubts about the relationship.Your fiancee cannot claim to love you more than ur parents do at this point,,,most people in Nigeria gets married simply because they feel their mates arae getting married, Those advising you to disrespect ur parents won't be their anymore with you when you start having multiple issues in ur marriage.
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by JJYOU: 1:45pm On Mar 21, 2009
Ndipe:

Oh well, let me ask you this question. Supposing you know a guy, whose parents are totally against intertribal marriage, because they are tribalists, and the guy efforts to settle down has been aborted by his parents stance not to marry outside their tribe, should he abandon his desires to fulfil his parents wishes, or go on with his marital plans?
you must be single.
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by keyremotes(m): 5:10pm On Mar 21, 2009
JJYOU:

you must be single.

Thank JJOY.
I purposely did not answer this person.

People just make posts without thinking thru what they are posting.
Re: Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent by JJYOU: 5:16pm On Mar 21, 2009
keyremotes:

Thank JJOY.
I purposely did not answer this person.

People just make posts without thinking thru what they are posting.
that is why i advocate paid site.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Quotes By Famous Feminist Speakers / Is It Right To Be A Second Wife? / Family Relationship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.