Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,152 members, 7,807,508 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:30 PM

The Most Reliable Cars - Revealed! - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Most Reliable Cars - Revealed! (8139 Views)

5 Cars Revealed At Geneva With Over 1000 Horsepower / Top 10 Most Reliable Car Brands / The 10 Most Reliable Car Brands (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Most Reliable Cars - Revealed! by nurey(m): 7:50am On Jun 12, 2015
weyreypey:

Outliving Germans ke? Don't make me laff o.....Fayose's Benz comes to MInd....vw beetle... Regular 123... Ha don't go dia o...not to mention the 124 that has refused to die

so if I start to mention the datsun, mitsubishi gallant, toyota tercel nkor. which are even more reliable and fuel efficient than the mercedes and co
Re: The Most Reliable Cars - Revealed! by weyreypey: 10:57am On Jun 12, 2015
Nurey don't argue like a neophyte ....compare cars of same specs....
Re: The Most Reliable Cars - Revealed! by abatically(m): 12:06pm On Jun 12, 2015
weyreypey:
Nurey don't argue like a neophyte ....compare cars of same specs....

Oga, those Germans make good cars no doubt but reliability is not in their dictionary. Japanese cars are more reliable and it has been proven over and over. How many regular Benz and vw beetle do u see on the roads? U must also have in mind that those years when they ruled was before the boom of the Japanese auto market. So technically in the 70's and 80's there were more Mercedes, Peugeot, vw and Volvo on Nigerian roads than Toyota, Honda , hyundai and KIA.

Fast forward many years and the story has really changed because those Japanese and korean cars are getting better and better. Just take a trip to owode and see all those expensive German cars being butchered for parts.
Re: The Most Reliable Cars - Revealed! by weyreypey: 2:36pm On Jun 12, 2015
abatically:

Oga, those Germans make good cars no doubt but reliability is not in their dictionary. Japanese cars are more reliable and it has been proven over and over. How many regular Benz and vw beetle do u see on the roads? U must also have in mind that those years when they ruled was before the boom of the Japanese auto market. So technically in the 70's and 80's there were more Mercedes, Peugeot, vw and Volvo on Nigerian roads than Toyota, Honda , hyundai and KIA.

Fast forward many years and the story has really changed because those Japanese and korean cars are getting better and better. Just take a trip to owode and see all those expensive German cars being butchered for parts.

Intelligent response with an holistic vuew..but I differ when it comes to vw beetles, w123, w201, w124, W202... These are near indestructible cars.... Still going on the road... Strong!.... 202 is a car that came into production in 1993 that will give the famed corolla a run for its money mpg for mpg .. And far more rugged...
The balance that comes with German is something the bicycle riding japs can't fathom in their sedans esp at high speeds! Well for an LDC like ours it makes more sense to tap into whatever a fellow LDC is up to....
Re: The Most Reliable Cars - Revealed! by abatically(m): 4:55pm On Jun 12, 2015
weyreypey:

Intelligent response with an holistic vuew..but I differ when it comes to vw beetles, w123, w201, w124, W202... These are near indestructible cars.... Still going on the road... Strong!.... 202 is a car that came into production in 1993 that will give the famed corolla a run for its money mpg for mpg .. And far more rugged...
The balance that comes with German is something the bicycle riding japs can't fathom in their sedans esp at high speeds! Well for an LDC like ours it makes more sense to tap into whatever a fellow LDC is up to....

Agreed. But u can't deny that newer German and European cars are not built to be rugged like the cars they built some 20-30 years ago when Asian cars were still in their infancy. Those cars have become very fragile since injectors, ecu, SRS, abs, etc became standard in all cars. Advanced electronics and sensors became a problem. More expensive in these German cars and also more prone to failure than in Japanese cars.

Also u can't deny that the success and competition Toyota and Honda brought is the reason Mercedes Benz, etc started to consider fuel efficiency in their cars. Mercedes Benz were GAS GUZZLERS in those days, they didn't care because they expect only the rich to own their cars. The introduction of Lexus (with luxury and performance almost on per with Benz and better fuel economy with high degree of reliability) changed all that. This is why I will always respect Toyota even though I don't drive one.

1 Like

Re: The Most Reliable Cars - Revealed! by weyreypey: 5:01pm On Jun 12, 2015
abatically:

Agreed. But u can't deny that newer German and European cars are not built to be rugged like the cars they built some 20-30 years ago when Asian cars were still in their infancy. Those cars have become very fragile since injectors, ecu, SRS, abs, etc became standard in all cars. Advanced electronics and sensors became a problem. More expensive in these German cars and also more prone to failure than in Japanese cars.

Also u can't deny that the success and competition Toyota and Honda brought is the reason Mercedes Benz, etc started to consider fuel efficiency in their cars. Mercedes Benz were GAS GUZZLERS in those days, they didn't care because they expect only the rich to own their cars. The introduction of Lexus (with luxury and performance almost on per with Benz and better fuel economy with high degree of reliability) changed all that. This is why I will always respect Toyota even though I don't drive one.

Fair enough ... Benz went South after collaboration with Chrysler.... Electrics became a nightmare... Like an Xmas tree lights.... However if you know how to select your Benz carefully... You're in for a great time! However Toyotas ac is something else!
Re: The Most Reliable Cars - Revealed! by nurey(m): 7:36am On Jun 13, 2015
weyreypey:

Fair enough ... Benz went South after collaboration with Chrysler.... Electrics became a nightmare... Like an Xmas tree lights.... However if you know how to select your Benz carefully... You're in for a great time! However Toyotas ac is something else!

before you continue arguing blindly, the only so called German car that can ever be used as beast of burden due to reliablity is volvo, have you ever seen a benz or VW old products stand the test of time like the datsun, toyota model F, nissan vanette just to mention a few even the glorified vanagon will never survive what the nissan vanette is used for.
Re: The Most Reliable Cars - Revealed! by gtswt(f): 1:26pm On Jun 13, 2015
gtswt:
Hello All,
I was discussing with one of my clients dis morning.. then she mentioned wanting to sell her Suzuki Swift 2008 model for 350k. Its a Nigerian used car.
I got curious to see the car for that price and behold it looks beautiful. Clean exterior and interior with stereo system but no gas on the AC, just blowing heat.
My concerns is the engineering part.... Don't know much about cars.
I asked her reasons for selling....? She says, she just developed a leg problem and its a manual car.
What do u advice I do?

Pls, somebody... Anybody! help a sister here. I'm still trying to make a decision on buying or not.. thanks
Re: The Most Reliable Cars - Revealed! by weyreypey: 4:08pm On Jun 13, 2015
nurey:

before you continue arguing blindly, the only so called German car that can ever be used as beast of burden due to reliablity is volvo, have you ever seen a benz or VW old products stand the test of time like the datsun, toyota model F, nissan vanette just to mention a few even the glorified vanagon will never survive what the nissan vanette is used for.
So Volvo is now a German car? Sorry it was a grave mistake debating you! Thought you are on the same level as abatically ... Lomomike or Gazzuz
Re: The Most Reliable Cars - Revealed! by nurey(m): 6:46pm On Jun 13, 2015
weyreypey:

So Volvo is now a German car? Sorry it was a grave mistake debating you! Thought you are on the same level as abatically ... Lomomike or Gazzuz

you can't debate me cause I am also tired of German fan boiz. volvo is an European car make any way, reason for including it as German car sorry about that mistake.
Re: The Most Reliable Cars - Revealed! by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jun 13, 2015
Why una dey mention my name? angry

1 Like

Re: The Most Reliable Cars - Revealed! by aaidel(m): 3:48am On Jun 14, 2015
so OP mentions reliability and then puts a chart for cost of repairs bearing in mind that the premium vehicles will cost more to repair due to there being less of them on the roads this will be why toyota and lexus have different places on the list when for about four years in the states lexus has been ranked the most dependable car brand so please OP change the title to average cost of repair of vehicle brands

source:http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2015-vehicle-dependability-study
Re: The Most Reliable Cars - Revealed! by abatically(m): 5:04am On Jun 14, 2015
aaidel:
so OP mentions reliability and then puts a chart for cost of repairs bearing in mind that the premium vehicles will cost more to repair due to there being less of them on the roads this will be why toyota and lexus have different places on the list when for about four years in the states lexus has been ranked the most dependable car brand so please OP change the title to average cost of repair of vehicle brands

source:http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2015-vehicle-dependability-study

The ranking is not only based on cost of repair. If it was then Renault should have been number 1. Check again.
Re: The Most Reliable Cars - Revealed! by aaidel(m): 5:40am On Jun 14, 2015
abatically:

The ranking is not only based on cost of repair. If it was then Renault should have been number 1. Check again.

so you are saying the list somehow merges cost of repair with reliability?
Re: The Most Reliable Cars - Revealed! by Dikachim(m): 8:54am On Jun 14, 2015
German vs Japanese always so funny.
Riddle me this; German cars much better than Japanese but a 2000 S class is same price or sometimes cheaper than a 2000 Camry? A friggin camry. Not even in the same class.
Again for all you yapping about German performance, go research about the NSX, Supra, and the Skylines of the 90s and tell me how many more expensive "German machines" could touch them.
Know your cars. Research about the braking record the Supra held in the 90s that even Porsches couldn't touch for a while.
Japanese and Germans all know how to make good cars.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Most Reliable Cars - Revealed! by abatically(m): 10:41am On Jun 14, 2015
aaidel:

so you are saying the list somehow merges cost of repair with reliability?

Yes
Re: The Most Reliable Cars - Revealed! by aaidel(m): 12:52pm On Jun 14, 2015
abatically:

Yes

but dont you think that in itself will cause problems e.g if a sensor on a toyota costs 20$ and that on a lexus 50$ with the same reliability then automatically the lexus loses points? though whats of more concern to me is how one brand can be more reliable in the UK and another in the US
Re: The Most Reliable Cars - Revealed! by sharpwriter(m): 3:13pm On May 03, 2021
peterjero:
I was a fan boy until my eye clear, if you look at all my other Comments you will agree. I drove a BMW while growing up and since I wasn't responsible in keeping the car running I shouted German cars are the bomb, until I started spending on cars and found out German cars are over rated, they break down too often, haven't you noticed that japs sells more cars in the world, why is it so if their cars are bad.

Lol.... You are very correct baba. Very overrated. Don't mind those sentimental German machines screamers. I just believe this thing is common sense.

That is, Japanese cars are cheaper, durable and reliable and to crown it all, their engines can be handled by an average mechanic and easy to repair and it still gets running. Lest I forget, most Japanese cars are easier to maintain.

Compared to the so called German machines that breaks down easily if they don't see maintenance quickly. And they still gulp money during the maintenance.

Now, my argument is that Japanese engineers did better cars than the German engineers.

If Japs cars are simple to repair and service, with the cars still maintaining strength to compete with other cars in the world, why should I ascribe glory to German cars with cumbersome engines and wiring while still giving me stress with no extra ordinary benefits to make it stand above others? And it will still drain my pocket.

And to think that an average mechanic may not be able to do perfect repair on it in case of emergency, it questions the engineering superiority of the Germans.

Although German cars are beautiful, but I don't agree with their engine superiority over the Japanese because with less cost, the Japanese are already running smoothly and they will still perform the same function with the German cars at lower cost.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Journey From Port Harcourt To Lagos With Google Maps As My Companion / 7 Symptoms Of A Bad Clutch Master Cylinder / Volkswagen And Ford Form Global Alliance To Make Pickups, Evs And Vans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.