Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,874 members, 7,806,504 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:29 PM

How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO (27594 Views)

Buhari Can Be Impeached Over Magu – Senator Okurounmu / 'It Is Over For Magu, Buhari Can Not Send His Name To Senate Again': Dino Melaye / We’ll Hold Buhari, APC To “3 Million Jobs A Year” Pledge – NLC, TUC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by nickydof(m): 1:58pm On Apr 17, 2015
ApexTitan:

Any national outsourcing plans that overlooks the involvement of the west is at best a joke. Can you even say that StarTimes is an outsourced company? I fear that you may be unclear as to what outsourcing really is.

You guys are becoming too pendatic!!!! I guess all we want is create jobs for the umemployed.

1 Like

Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by Nobody: 2:11pm On Apr 17, 2015
Mogidi:

I laugh in Kanuri!!!!!
hehehehehehe!!!!!

International means a language that is spoken in more than one country. So they are international languages. here is a link for the 50 most widely used languages.
http://www.photius.com/rankings/languages2.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by pazienza(m): 2:15pm On Apr 17, 2015
Osyxcel:

I wonder why people are hell bent on sabotaging facilities that are to the collective benefit of the entire populace just because their own selfish gain. These are part of the reasons why this country has failed to grow the way it should. (vandalism of petroleum and gas pipelines).

Why should they build the power plants in the North and other parts of Nigeria, creating job opportunities for the host communities, only to come to Niger delta to siphon gas? Do you consider this injustice right?
Why didn't they build all the gas powered plants in the region the gas are gotten from, that way the Youths of the area will get employment opportunities in those plants, they will never sabotage it, if it is what puts food on their table.

Nigeria's problem is that people have refused to tell themselves the truth, preferring lies.

What is the economic advantage of going all the way to the far North to build gas powered electric plants, only to come back and spend millions in building pipelines that will connect the plant to gas supply? Are there nolonger available lands in the gas region.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by Xerum(m): 2:18pm On Apr 17, 2015
@Tit

What exactly will this 2 million people be doing?
what value or service will they be adding to the economy?

This should answer your question:

http://www.pwc.in/en_IN/in/assets/pdfs/evolution-of-bpo-in-india.pdf

Should you need further clarification, do no hesitate.

Imagination is greater than knowledge!
Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by Nobody: 2:20pm On Apr 17, 2015
maclatunji:
Unemployment is a huge problem in Nigeria, the last uncontroversial rate from the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) for 2011 shows 23.9% of the population is unemployed. However, unemployment amongst the youth is much higher.

This dire situation makes it imperative for government and citizens to seek viable solutions to this problem. This article is my contribution in this regard and it focuses on Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) as a means towards generating employment in Nigeria.

According to Wikipedia, Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) is a subset of outsourcing that involves the contracting of the operations and responsibilities of a specific business process to a third-party service provider.

Statista estimates that the global market size of business process outsourcing in 2014 amounted to 28.5 billion U.S. dollars.

This business has huge potential for creating hundreds of thousands to millions of jobs in Nigeria if the government implements the appropriate policies and enters into partnership with the private sector including foreign investors to create tech hubs.

The kinds of jobs that would be created include: call center agents, data entry officers and analysts. Nigeria's Information Communication Technology (ICT) sector has grown astronomically since the introduction of GSM in 2001 and the country now has 100% telephone penetration according to the National Communications Commission (NCC) meaning that virtually every Nigerian has access to a phone and as technology advances; the skill set of users keeps improving including many educated but unemployed youths.

By creating tech hubs that benefit from tax breaks and stable electricity supply from off-grid Independent Power Plants {IPPs), the government can easily create jobs to reduce the alarming rate of unemployment in Nigeria. If each tech hub has at least 1,000 workstations, employees could work 6-hour shifts meaning one workstation can accommodate 4 employees in a day.

100 tech hubs could be open across the country with Lagos, Abeokuta, Ibadan, Port Harcourt, Calabar, Enugu, Onitsha Owerri, Abuja, Kano, Kaduna and Jos hosting them in the first phase. This could be expanded to ensure that there is at least 1 tech hub in every state of the federation within a year.

Training would be done to bring job applicants to the standard required to do these jobs. With 4,000 jobs created at every tech hub multiplied by 100, we have 400,000 direct jobs created with about 100,000 related jobs to be created as well from the process of building, maintaining and sustaining the tech hubs. This is an estimate for just the first year, in 4 years, 2 million jobs could be created as the industry expands and services are provided to foreign companies.

This idea is viable and feasible as countries like India and The Philippines have benefitted from BPO, I hope the in-coming government of General Muhammadu Buhari (Rtd.) will work towards implementing or at least modifying it as it seeks to deliver new jobs to the unemployed which is one of its key campaign promises to Nigerians.

Source: http://www.coolstuff49ja.com/2015/04/how-gen-buhari-can-create-2-milllion.html#.VTAxz8aiQmc

You are missing the part where you have to first sell this "product". Exporting your resources ain't that easy. If your country had a poor work ethic (as it looks the case), there's no way you'd be competitive with this service delivery.
Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by mikolo80: 2:20pm On Apr 17, 2015
ManUtdholic:

I watch a documentry on it few weeks ago I. Think itz in Niger delta
With gas city to be included in the project
GAS CITY I KNOW IS IN DELTA
BUT WE NEED MEGA ONES IN LAGOS KANO ABA IBADAN MAYBE ABUJA ONITSHA AND DEFINITELY IN ALMOST ALL NIGER DELTA STATES IF THEY ARE READY TO WORK ESPECIALLY AS THE GAS IS FROM THERE AND WILL LIMIT LONG(SABOTAGABLE) PIPELINES
Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by pazienza(m): 2:23pm On Apr 17, 2015
Nigeria need constant or atleast improved power supply, without that, everything else is trash talk. You can't run a modern economy on abysmal power supply.

Buhari should fix the power problem if he can, but this must be done the right way.

Don't rob Peter to pay paul. Build all the gas power plant in the Niger delta region, it's the just thing to do, plus the fact that it saves the country money that would have been wasted on pipelines to unknown destinations.

Build the wind turbines in the far North to harness wind Energy.

Build coal power plants in the East and Benue areas to utilize the Coal deposits there.

It's not rocket science. Fix Nigeria's power problem and you must have solved 1/3 of the problem of the country.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by Osyxcel(m): 2:52pm On Apr 17, 2015
pazienza:

Why should they build the power plants in the North and other parts of Nigeria, creating job opportunities for the host communities, only to come to Niger delta to siphon gas? Do you consider this injustice right?
Why didn't they build all the gas powered plants in the region the gas are gotten from, that way the Youths of the area will get employment opportunities in those plants, they will never sabotage it, if it is what puts food on their table.

Nigeria's problem is that people have refused to tell themselves the truth, preferring lies.

What is the economic advantage of going all the way to the far North to build gas powered electric plants, only to come back and spend millions in building pipelines that will connect the plant to gas supply? Are there nolonger available lands in the gas region.

Really??

Afam power station in Rivers??

Omoku power station in Rivers??

Sapele power station in Delta??

Calabar power station in Cross- River??

Ihovbor power station in Benin City

Alaoji in Abia state??

Egbema power plant in Imo??

Omotosho power station in Ondo??

Are all the above in the North?? Are they not all close to the region where gas is gotten from??

The only gas power station in the North is in Kogi state (Geregu Power station), others are hydro...

A simple check of wiki will enlighten you.

NB: All the above are FGN/NIPP projects

Vandalism in not a problem peculiar only to the SS, it's a Nigerian thing, so I wonder why you are trying to justify the action.

1 Like

Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by Boondoggle(m): 3:09pm On Apr 17, 2015
@op
BPO is a great idea; however, without power and tech infrastructure the BPO is going no where. In my opinion, power should be priority for GMB. Erratic power supply is a demon that needs to be slayed in order for any tech company to thrive. In addition, once power is stable, lots of small businesses will spring up and we will probably not even be thinking of BPO at that time. Closely following power is communication infrastructure. I was surprised to learn that Nigeria has all sort of internet connections to the outside world via marine cables and fibre, but only about 10% of the capacity was being utilized as at 2012. I'm not sure what the number is today. We have the comms structure in place for the country to reach the outside world, but the internal infrastructure for the citizens to latch on to this structure is nothing to write home about. I believe it is high time Nigeria installed a fibre backbone and break the sad internet monopoly by the cell phone companies.

Give Nigerians incessant power supply with good IT infrastructure and the kind of services we will come up with will be far beyond BPO.

My 2 kobo.
Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by Osyxcel(m): 3:15pm On Apr 17, 2015
Boondoggle:
@op
BPO is a great idea; however, without power and tech infrastructure the BPO is going no where. In my opinion, power should be priority for GMB. Erratic power supply is a demon that needs to be slayed in order for any tech company to thrive. In addition, once power is stable, lots of small businesses will spring up and we will probably not even be thinking of BPO at that time. Closely following power is communication infrastructure. I was surprised to learn that Nigeria has all sort of internet connections to the outside world via marine cables and fibre, but only about 10% of the capacity was being utilized as at 2012. I'm not sure what the number is today. We have the comms structure in place for the country to reach the outside world, but the internal infrastructure for the citizens to latch on to this structure is nothing to write home about. I believe it is high time Nigeria installed a fibre backbone and break the sad internet monopoly by the cell phone companies.

Give Nigerians incessant power supply with good IT infrastructure and the kind of services we will come up with will be far beyond BPO.

My 2 kobo.

Our Telecom operators spend a heavy amount on powering their facilities. If this can be cut down, they'll have more financial resources to improve other aspects of their operations. The Power sector needs urgent attention and should be given priority.
Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by jpphilips(m): 4:16pm On Apr 17, 2015
maclatunji:

Already a lot of companies outsource these functions, my plan is to expand the scope and lower the cost to them with government supported infrastructure.

The target for the international market is not the US alone, it is any company in any country that English is spoken. Hausa and Yoruba are also International languages.

I don't think such amount of Jobs can come from there, what Nigeria needs is a restructuring of the Labor market, our economy as it is can swallow about 80% of our populace, it is nepotism that makes it seem like the Labor market is saturated.

Where does the Jobs appear from once you make the right contact in Nigeria? why do i need to hire an unproductive staff simply because his brother is giving me contracts?
Why do we build houses everyday yet we complain our civil and structural engineers are jobless?
why do we patronize Chemists/Agbo vendors and complain our pharmacists are jobless.

The list is endless.

Curbing Nepotism alone can create 5m jobs, that is where anti corruption fight will make a difference.
Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by maclatunji: 4:25pm On Apr 17, 2015
jpphilips:

I don't think such amount of Jobs can come from there, what Nigeria needs is a restructuring of the Labor market, our economy as it is can swallow about 80% of our populace, it is nepotism that makes it seem like the Labor market is saturated.

Where does the Jobs appear from once you make the right contact in Nigeria? why do i need to hire an unproductive staff simply because his brother is giving me contracts?
Why do we build houses everyday yet we complain our civil and structural engineers are jobless?
why do we patronize Chemists/Agbo vendors and complain our pharmacists are jobless.

The list is endless.

Curbing Nepotism alone can create 5m jobs, that is where anti corruption fight will make a difference.

What would the beneficiaries of nepotism do in this scenario because they would then be jobless?
Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by jpphilips(m): 4:34pm On Apr 17, 2015
pazienza:
Nigeria need constant or atleast improved power supply, without that, everything else is trash talk. You can't run a modern economy on abysmal power supply.

Buhari should fix the power problem if he can, but this must be done the right way.

Don't rob Peter to pay paul. Build all the gas power plant in the Niger delta region, it's the just thing to do, plus the fact that it saves the country money that would have been wasted on pipelines to unknown destinations.

Build the wind turbines in the far North to harness wind Energy.

Build coal power plants in the East and Benue areas to utilize the Coal deposits there.

It's not rocket science. Fix Nigeria's power problem and you must have solved 1/3 of the problem of the country.

If you hear there is a Gas power plant in Ogun state for example, it does not necessarily mean that a pipeline ran from the south to the west, you can tap from an export trunk line going to Lagos to those areas too.
Your observation was the foundation of the NIPP and we are yet to see any fowl play, except for jonathan who proposed a coal plant for Kogi state at Igbotobe when Enugu has none!!
I am yet to see the wisdom behind that, despite all the support he got from the South east.
Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by Mogidi: 7:08pm On Apr 17, 2015
Realconfo:

International means a language that is spoken in more than one country. So they are international languages. here is a link for the 50 most widely used languages.
http://www.photius.com/rankings/languages2.html

Which of these foreign countries where Yoruba is widely spoken would source "IT" jobs to Nigeria?

My interpretation of the article suggest the idea of other countries sourcing (Yoruba) IT jobs to Nigeria is at best silly, it was my response to the article in question.
Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by maclatunji: 7:55pm On Apr 17, 2015
Mogidi:

Which of these foreign countries where Yoruba is widely spoken would source "IT" jobs to Nigeria?

My interpretation of the article suggest the idea of other countries sourcing (Yoruba) IT jobs to Nigeria is at best silly, it was my response to the article in question.

Togo and Benin Republic tongue
Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by Mogidi: 7:59pm On Apr 17, 2015
maclatunji:

Togo and Benin Republic tongue

And you think there are no unemployed IT graduates in Togo or Benin?
Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by maclatunji: 8:10pm On Apr 17, 2015
Mogidi:

And you think there are no unemployed IT graduates in Togo or Benin?

There are but the idea is to encourage companies with operations in Nigeria as well as these countries to outsource part of the jobs from the 2 countries to Nigeria.
Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by Mogidi: 8:16pm On Apr 17, 2015
maclatunji:

There are but the idea is to encourage companies with operations in Nigeria as well as these countries to outsource part of the jobs from the 2 countries to Nigeria.

I agreed with your original idea of looking for other sources of income.
Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by Nobody: 10:15pm On Apr 17, 2015
Mogidi:

I never said there is a possibility of outsourced IT jobs in those two languages, your sentence seems to be mocking the validity of the fact that they are indeed international languages and that is why i replied.
Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by jpphilips(m): 11:22pm On Apr 17, 2015
maclatunji:

What would the beneficiaries of nepotism do in this scenario because they would then be jobless?

Can't believe you asked this question
Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by maclatunji: 8:54am On Apr 18, 2015
jpphilips:

Can't believe you asked this question

For many beneficiaries of nepotism, it is a matter of survival. So my question is valid.
Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by jpphilips(m): 9:22am On Apr 19, 2015
maclatunji:

For many beneficiaries of nepotism, it is a matter of survival. So my question is valid.

In that case you don't care that someone who is more qualified than you is at home while you sit on a job dolling out inefficiencies? ?
Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by maclatunji: 9:54am On Apr 19, 2015
jpphilips:

In that case you don't care that someone who is more qualified than you is at home while you sit on a job dolling out inefficiencies? ?

It's about an individual trying to earn money to keep body and soul alive and make progress in life. Young man for example wants to get married start a family, they don't bother about the next person, it's about them.
Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by ApexTitan(m): 10:46am On Apr 19, 2015
Osyxcel:

Really??

Afam power station in Rivers??

Omoku power station in Rivers??

Sapele power station in Delta??

Calabar power station in Cross- River??

Ihovbor power station in Benin City

Alaoji in Abia state??

Egbema power plant in Imo??

Omotosho power station in Ondo??

Are all the above in the North?? Are they not all close to the region where gas is gotten from??

The only gas power station in the North is in Kogi state (Geregu Power station), others are hydro...

A simple check of wiki will enlighten you.

NB: All the above are FGN/NIPP projects

Vandalism in not a problem peculiar only to the SS, it's a Nigerian thing, so I wonder why you are trying to justify the action.

Thank you very much. I was just about to reply the post from Pazienza till I saw yours. Where he got the idea that there are gas power stations in the north is surprising, another case of poorly informed Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by jpphilips(m): 11:27am On Apr 19, 2015
maclatunji:

It's about an individual trying to earn money to keep body and soul alive and make progress in life. Young man for example wants to get married start a family, they don't bother about the next person, it's about them.

Every evil can be justified after all, Hitler justified the Holocaust.
Over the years of enthroning mediocrity over competence, all our institutions have collapsed, now we are looking for change right?
Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by Sweetguy25: 11:39am On Apr 19, 2015
2 million what? Lol. What a funny thread.
Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by Nobody: 11:41am On Apr 19, 2015
Prof Yemi Osibanjo d vice president elect has already discussed Business Process Outsourcing (BPO ) as part of thier
plan to create Job. He gave a lecture to South East youths in Enugu/Imo with power point slides on dis topic during d campaign. it was shown on AIT around 11pm that day in d month of February 2015 .

So d OP is not giving any new info to Buhari team. However he did not say we can get 2million jobs just from BPO.

That day he also discuss special business Clusters. Giving them
special power supply and loan.
Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by Nobody: 11:44am On Apr 19, 2015
Prof Yemi Osibanjo d vice president elect has already discussed
Business Process Outsourcing (BPO ) as part of thier
plan to create Job. He gave a lecture to South East youths in
Enugu/Imo with power point slides on dis topic during d
campaign. it was shown on AIT around 11pm that day in d month
of February 2015 .
So d OP is not giving any new info to Buhari team. However he
did not say we can get 2million jobs just from BPO.
Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by Nobody: 11:44am On Apr 19, 2015
campaign. it was shown on AIT around 11pm that day in d month of
February 2015 .

February 2015 .

February 2015 .
Re: How Buhari Can Create 2 Million Jobs With BPO by maclatunji: 12:06pm On Apr 19, 2015
jpphilips:

Every evil can be justified after all, Hitler justified the Holocaust.
Over the years of enthroning mediocrity over competence, all our institutions have collapsed, now we are looking for change right?

You still have not answered my question o. I did not suggest nepotism is ethical, all I did is point out to you that it is a means to an end.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares / NNPC Pushes For Fuel Subsidy Removal / CSOs To President Buhari: Expel Amnesty International Before We Put On Our Rage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.