Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,021 members, 7,799,482 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:27 PM

Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors (4277 Views)

Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) / 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Hila12(m): 10:59am On Apr 17, 2015
Hello, I'm Nigerian(proud) and privileged to have quite a number of American, Aussie and British friends from my time overseas.

I noticed many Nigerians new to English countries can't bring Native English Speakers to understand them, largely due to wrong pronunciations and phrases which have become cliché in our country today. Some common mistakes:

He is a matured guy - 'mature'

Are you sick? Sorry! - sorry is an apology and should be tendered only when you are responsible for a sickness, hurt, offence or misunderstanding. What you should say is Are you sick? Oh what a pity, have you taken some medicine?

There is only one criteria to consider - criterion criteria is plural.

Where can we get mineral to buy - soft drink, soda or fizzy drink

Go to the bar and take one beer - conventionally 'to take' means to steal (I got in trouble for this in England). Instead say Go to the bar and have a beer or Go get a drink off the bar

Hello! Hello! Who's speaking? I am hearing you - I can hear you

Have you had your bathe - Have you had a bath

When are you going to go to Abuja - When do you leave for Abuja or When are you going/headed Abuja

Don't disrespect him, he is your senior brother - older brother

You insult me? I'm coming for you! - I once said this in England, they all thought I was about hejaaculating. You best say coming after you

I studied Accounting in uni - Accountancy

Give me your biro - pen

automatically knew she didn't like me - automatically is used for machines and electric equipments. Best you say I knew right away she didn't like me

I like your jeans jacket - denim jacket

They are secondary school students - students are used mainly for higher institutions and colleges. They are secondary pupils

There are many more but these will do for now.
Do you know some common errors and corrections?

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by agarawu23(m): 11:04am On Apr 17, 2015
you mix road? Op

swerve to Education section----------->>>>

1 Like

Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Eneze1(f): 11:07am On Apr 17, 2015
agarawu23:
you mix road? Op

No he didn't mix road. He steer road tongue

1 Like

Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Hila12(m): 11:22am On Apr 17, 2015
agarawu23:
you mix road? Op

No swerve button lol

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by phayvoursky(m): 11:27am On Apr 17, 2015
WE SPEAK TO UNDERSTAND. NOT TO CONFUSE OURSELVES.

MY POINT IS THIS: THAT'S THE WAY WE SPEAK OUR ENGLISH BETTER SAY "NIGERIAN ENGLISH".

THE ENGLISH MEN CAN GO AHEAD TO CAUTION AMERICA AND AUSTRALIA FOR THEIR OWN TYPE OF ENGLISH BEFORE TELLING NIGERIANS HOW TO SPEAK ENGLISH.

I HOPE SAY YOU GRAB MY POINT.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Hila12(m): 11:32am On Apr 17, 2015
phayvoursky:

MY POINT IS THIS: THAT'S THE WAY WE SPEAK OUR ENGLISH BETTER SAY "NIGERIAN ENGLISH".

THE ENGLISH MEN CAN GO AHEAD TO CAUTION AMERICA AND AUSTRALIA FOR THEIR OWN TYPE OF ENGLISH BEFORE TELLING NIGERIANS HOW TO SPEAK ENGLISH.

Very true and I concur. But at some point in your life you will come across a larger audience (Non-Nigerians) and should know to communicate effectively in such scenarios. We all benefit when are eloquent and coherent (not talking about grammar). Nice point though.

Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Hila12(m): 11:34am On Apr 17, 2015
phayvoursky:

Very true and I concur. But at some point in your life you will come across a larger audience (Non-Nigerians) and should know how to communicate effectively in such scenario. We all benefit when we become eloquent and coherent (not talking about grammar). Nice point though.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Nobody: 11:45am On Apr 17, 2015
Lol

Who English don help? tongue

TheSonOfMark, come and see your people o grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by TheSonOfMark(m): 12:19pm On Apr 17, 2015
MzNelly:
Lol

Who English don help? tongue

TheSonOfMark, come and see your people o grin grin
I'll be keeping tabs on him. I've never read any of his comments/posts until now. Hopefully he'll be able to juxtapose this stance of his with lexical clarity from hence.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Nobody: 12:21pm On Apr 17, 2015
Lovely OP but education section pls

1 Like

Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Nobody: 12:24pm On Apr 17, 2015
Hila12

You look like Kanye West cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Hila12(m): 12:28pm On Apr 17, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

I'll be keeping tabs on him. I've never read any of his comments/posts until now. Hopefully he'll be able to juxtapose this stance of his with lexical clarity from hence.
Good to know I'm being watched - one added follower lol.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Hila12(m): 12:30pm On Apr 17, 2015
wristwatch:
Lovely OP but education section pls

Thanks. But too late now isn't it? Lol

1 Like

Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Hila12(m): 12:33pm On Apr 17, 2015
MzNelly:

Oh do I? Lol

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by TheSonOfMark(m): 12:44pm On Apr 17, 2015
Hila12:

Good to know I'm being watched - one added follower lol.
You wish! I knew elucidating the narcissist in you would only take one 'eulogizing' comment. Suspicion confirmed! smiley

P.S: 81 posts since 2013? Alternate moniker spotted!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by tosyne2much(m): 12:48pm On Apr 17, 2015
Wooooow !!!

Kudos Hila12, very insightful write-up

Many people use the word Accounting in place of Accountancy

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Hila12(m): 12:51pm On Apr 17, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

You wish! I knew elucidating the narcissist in you would only take I 'eulogizing' comment. Suspicion confirmed! smiley

Fair enough, but that was 'sarcasm' used in my comment. You just didn't decode I guess. One love!
Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by EvyE: 12:59pm On Apr 17, 2015
Hehehehehe how funny. I just can't stop laughing.

op please give us some break
Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by TheSonOfMark(m): 12:59pm On Apr 17, 2015
Hila12:

Fair enough, but that was 'sarcasm' used in my comment. You just didn't decode I guess. One love!

You also didn't notice rhe 'smile' emoticon connoting the fact that I was teasing you. You thought I thought you thought I thought you didn't get the sarcasm cheesy
Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Hila12(m): 1:00pm On Apr 17, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

You also didn't notice rhe 'smile' emoticon connoting the fact that I was teasing you. You thought I thought you thought I thought you didn't get the sarcasm cheesy

Well I do now. One love!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Nobody: 1:04pm On Apr 17, 2015
Hila12:
Hello, I'm Nigerian(proud) and privileged to have quite a number of American, Aussie and British friends from my time overseas.

I noticed many Nigerians new to English countries can't bring Native English Speakers to understand them, largely due to wrong pronunciations and phrases which have become cliché in our country today. Some common mistakes:

He is a matured guy - 'mature'

Are you sick? Sorry! - sorry is an apology and should be tendered only when you are responsible for a sickness, hurt, offence or misunderstanding. What you should say is Are you sick? Oh what a pity, have you taken some medicine?

There is only one criteria to consider - criterion criteria is plural.

Where can we get mineral to buy - soft drink, soda or fizzy drink

Go to the bar and take one beer - conventionally 'to take' means to steal (I got in trouble for this in England). Instead say Go to the bar and have a beer or Go get a drink off the bar

Hello! Hello! Who's speaking? I am hearing you - I can hear you

Have you had your bathe - Have you had a bath

When are you going to go to Abuja - When do you leave for Abuja or When are you going/headed Abuja

Don't disrespect him, he is your senior brother - older brother

You insult me? I'm coming for you! - I once said this in England, they all thought I was about hejaaculating. You best say coming after you

I studied Accounting in uni - Accountancy

Give me your biro - pen

automatically knew she didn't like me - automatically is used for machines and electric equipments. Best you say I knew right away she didn't like me

I like your jeans jacket - denim jacket

They are secondary school students - students are used mainly for higher institutions and colleges. They are secondary pupils

There are many more but these will do for now.
Do you know some common errors and corrections?

Nothing wrong with BIRO.
Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Hila12(m): 1:15pm On Apr 17, 2015
hifaif:

Nothing wrong with BIRO.

You are not wrong though. But 'pen' is fast replacing 'biro' in mainstream conversations. Biro is more like a particular brand of pen. (Just like we use Cowbell and Milk interchangeably). Nice observation though. Cheers.
Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by daben1(m): 1:45pm On Apr 17, 2015
Nice one bro, i've learnt somethings

1 Like

Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Doortun(m): 1:47pm On Apr 17, 2015
When in Rome, you behave like Romans
When in Nigeria, you speak Nigerian English
Knowing when to blend in is what is important. Nigerians are not doing bad as far as English is concerned. Anyways, I learnt something. OP let's go and take a beer, you'll lead I'll follow.
Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Hila12(m): 1:52pm On Apr 17, 2015
Doortun:
When in Rome, you behave like Romans
When in Nigeria, you speak Nigerian English
Knowing when to blend in is what is important. Nigerians are not doing bad as far as English is concerned. Anyways, I learnt something. OP let's go and take a beer, you'll lead I'll follow.

Funny, unfortunately I'm a greedy thief who would go alone haha.
Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Psalmwise(m): 2:12pm On Apr 17, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

chai

all I have to say is dere is God
Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by ritzytbabs(m): 2:29pm On Apr 17, 2015
MzNelly:

nah...he looks like meek mill

1 Like

Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Hila12(m): 2:37pm On Apr 17, 2015
ritzytbabs:

nah...he looks like meek mill

I must really look unique then lol.
Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by ritzytbabs(m): 3:35pm On Apr 17, 2015
Hila12:

I must really look unique then lol.

yeah, we all are

1 Like

Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by constance500: 4:54pm On Apr 17, 2015
Op, all this one wey u dey talk na format. grin

Life is too short to start checking Wikipedia if your English is correct or not grin grin no time for iranu
Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by Hila12(m): 5:37pm On Apr 17, 2015
constance500:
Op, all this one wey u dey talk na format. grin

Life is too short to start checking Wikipedia if your English is correct or not grin grin no time for iranu

Very true Constance, but the most important things in life are sometimes 'little' things. Go with your heart. Cheers.
Re: Nigerians and 'gbagaun' - Common Spoken English Errors by hatux: 7:32pm On Apr 17, 2015
Educating!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Animals In Cool Photos. Check!♥️♥️♥️ / California - No Oil But Richer Than France Brazil And Nigeria / Gcse And Nigerian Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.