Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:49 AM

What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? (14595 Views)

Arab Woman Places Advert In Newspaper To Praise Her Kenyan Househelp (photos) / Househelp Cleans Her Vagina With Napkin, Then Wipes Her Boss' Dishes With It:Pic / Househelp Cuts Off Baby's Hand (Graphic Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Apr 17, 2015
I'll be very grateful for comments addressing the topic.

In the light of the recent saga in Lagos where a Househelp kidnapped three kids from a family, I think it's high time people became more careful when employing the services of a Househelp.

What Factors Should A Family Consider When hiring the services of a househelp?

And what steps can we also take to avoid what happened in Lagos lately?

Thanks.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by teeboo: 11:22am On Apr 18, 2015
Una still dey employ house help? Ok o,if dey tell u to pay ransom nw una go dey cry up and down

4 Likes

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Nobody: 11:53am On Apr 18, 2015
teeboo:
Una still dey employ house help? Ok o,if dey tell u to pay ransom nw una go dey cry up and down
Because of the house help saga that recently happened does not mean people should stop employing house help,not all house help are kidnappers!!!!.......is just like telling people not to eat beans anymore because someone ate beans and the person died...............

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Apr 18, 2015
wakacome:
Because of the house help saga that recently happened does not mean people should stop employing house help,not all house help are kidnappers!!!!.......is just like telling people not to eat beans anymore because someone ate beans and the person died...............

Thank you!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by bennyrazz: 8:50pm On Apr 18, 2015
go to your village and get a househelp.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by ifyalways(f): 9:16pm On Apr 18, 2015
Salary. . . Regardless of the working condition(living in or coming in daily), the salary should be at least 20,000 ngn. Pay them as and when due. Don't deduct money from their salary when they spoil things in the house eg plate.Accidents happen !.

Age. . .minimum of 18 years

Family background. . .Take your time, go and meet the family wherever they stay. Ask people around questions about the family, investigate.

Previous work experience. . .Ask, verify, meet with previous employer and ask questions.

Pictures. . .Take full lenght pictures of your help in various angles, store them in your phone, mailbox and keep har copies.

Security . . .be security conscious. Depends on where u stay, leave FIRM instructions that the help cant and should not step out of the house with your kids without your prior instruction.

Be fair and kind. . .Treat your help as you would treat your OWN child. Don't hoard food from them(they will get even by starving your kids), dont be mean to them, correct them in love, don't use them as slaves. Give them freedom but watch them closely. Give them days off.

Go further. . .show interest in their personal life,goals. Ask them what they want to do in future, encourage them and help if you can. Depending on their age, ask about their relationship,invite and know their partner.

Occasional treats . . .Buying them a gift(no matter how cheap) on their birthdays, taking him or her to a salon for a makeover/hairdo/facials occasionally won't hurt you. Such little favours and acts of love that don't cost much goes a long wayyyyyyy.

Can't deal? Say goodbye. . .If for whatever reason you don't get along,like your help,think your help is a witch/wizard, please pay him or her off and let her/him go.

101 Likes 15 Shares

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Nobody: 10:03pm On Apr 18, 2015
ifyalways:
Salary. . . Regardless of the working condition(living in or coming in daily), the salary should be at least 20,000 ngn. Pay them as and when due. Don't deduct money from their salary when they spoil things in the house eg plate.Accidents happen !.

Family background. . .Take your time, go and meet the family wherever they stay. Ask people around questions about the family, investigate.

Previous work experience. . .Ask, verify, meet with previous employer and ask questions.

Pictures. . .Take full lenght pictures of your help in various angles, store them in your phone, mailbox and keep har copies.

Security . . .be security conscious. Depends on where u stay, leave FIRM instructions that the help cant and should not step out of the house with your kids without your prior instruction.

Be fair and kind. . .Treat your help as you would treat your OWN child. Don't hoard food from them(they will get even by starving your kids), dont be mean to them, correct them in love, don't use them as slaves. Give them freedom but watch them closely. Give them days off.

Go further. . .show interest in their personal life,goals. Ask them what they want to do in future, encourage them and help if you can. Depending on their age, ask about their relationship,invite and know their partner.

Occasional treats . . .Buying them a gift(no matter how cheap) on their birthdays, taking him or her to a salon for a makeover/hairdo/facials occasionally won't hurt you. Such little favours and acts of love that don't cost much goes a long wayyyyyyy.

Can't deal? Say goodbye. . .If for whatever reason you don't get along,like your help,think your help is a witch/wizard, please pay him or her off and let her/him go.
You have said it all.

5 Likes

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Nobody: 5:44am On Apr 19, 2015
ifyalways:

Thanks so much. I'll get this saved in my computer!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by buygala(m): 12:30pm On Apr 22, 2015
I have nothing to say since I am neither a professional househelp nor a husband whose wife has gotten and sent away 9 househelps in less than 3 years undecided

So I will just smoke my weed jejely and read all the househelp manuals being written smiley

4 Likes

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Apr 22, 2015
I tink getin houx help is nt advceable but if d need comes den one shud go thru d normal process by knwnin more abt d family in quote n also involve d police/lawyer incase of necesity.
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Marlicque: 12:31pm On Apr 22, 2015
i think the most important thing is to have a good guarantor, lets see like 2-3... with legal backing....my 2kobo

Am also here to learn tho lipsrsealed
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by TheMascot(m): 12:32pm On Apr 22, 2015
So I have catched my space!...eheen op u say?....

1...She shld be as fugly as timaya ( in case oga shld want 2 samba ;-)

2..Ehm...she shld not have a nyash bigger that dan of madam ( no tym for Gobe)

3...First check her with ur holy water (witch), silver bullets (were wolf), wooden stake (vampire)

4..Her skirts should be long enough 2 be used as rug

5..she shld have children too..(If she kidnap ur own den u kidnap her own)..

6..Her pant should be always checked ( choi..incase ur pikin go touch am kon die)..

7...Ehmmmm...my personal favourite..she shld be in apc..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by chrisdera: 12:32pm On Apr 22, 2015
I will not even advice anybody to hire any house help in this our corrupt generation

1 Like

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by hotgunz(m): 12:32pm On Apr 22, 2015
Go to ur village and let ur people give u a better lady from a good home in return u will train her to university level.

1 Like

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by TheMascot(m): 12:32pm On Apr 22, 2015
Marlicque:
fdbgergregerag
fp abi?..I feel ur pain

2 Likes

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Lifebender(m): 12:33pm On Apr 22, 2015
Why did i even space this book,I knoweth notundecided
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by TheMascot(m): 12:33pm On Apr 22, 2015
3rd space....she must not be from any village in ibadan!...

She must be from calabar or have calabar attributes...

Make she no fyn pass tinubu ooh..I go talk am again ooh...
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by ritux: 12:33pm On Apr 22, 2015
Do a thorough medical test on the person.
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by celibate: 12:34pm On Apr 22, 2015
If you're getting a domestic help just make sure it's from a credible source and also a verifiable background.
Not just hire someone from OLX and truust your family with such a person.

1 Like

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Caracta(f): 12:35pm On Apr 22, 2015
@ifyalways, spot on.
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Apr 22, 2015
hotgunz:
Go to ur village and let ur people give u a better lady from a good home in return u will train her to university level.

Are you pondering what I am pondering?
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Apr 22, 2015
bennyrazz:
go to your village and get a househelp.
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Buonsenso: 12:36pm On Apr 22, 2015
They are practical steps you can take;
Screen them for diseases-hiv, hepatitis etc
Have a meeting with their parents (some bring fake people)
Treat them as you would a human being (it doesn't not stop them stealing from you or been mean), but then your conscience will save you.

Let your kids also respect the servants. Teach the kids responsibilities as well, so as soon as you can,you don't need a house help.

OP, when it comes to these people, hope for the best and expect the worst.
The human mind is deep.
You could do everything and they will still steal or do worse.

Case in point; I knew a family that were kind and nice, but the girl stole from them. Karma ensured she is in jail today but the family conscience is clean.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by otswag(m): 12:36pm On Apr 22, 2015
Do not employ via OLX. Na my only advice be dat

2 Likes

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by shamecurls(m): 12:36pm On Apr 22, 2015
Snap her 4 dimensional pictures and that of all the people you know with her as family members. That will send a message to them that you know what u doing
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Apr 22, 2015
For me.
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by condralbede(m): 12:38pm On Apr 22, 2015
hmmmm....sorry but I had no idea!!
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by tolustx(m): 12:40pm On Apr 22, 2015
I believe there used to be a time when some people were in d business of controlling househelps. I mean registered househelps, just like dis security companies.
Such a company will be in charge of registering, training and appointing maids for interested families. Such maids will be like permanent employees of d company. They can be withdrawn if need be, and re appointed for someone else. In this kinda setting, the company will also be in charge of seeing to d welfare of such maids so that they are not maltreated or violated in any form.
If something like dis is in place, families will be able to employ the services of dependable and well-trained maids. This is a million dollar business strategy for someone. Thank me later.

4 Likes

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by slap1(m): 12:40pm On Apr 22, 2015
Get from your village. However, always pray that you don't get the wrong person.

1 Like

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by jaybee3(m): 12:41pm On Apr 22, 2015
@ caracta
spot on
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by justynneke(f): 12:42pm On Apr 22, 2015
@ ify always
Definination of maid varies
For me, a maid is sumone who is more sensible to stay wit ur kids wen ƔU̶̲̥̅̊ r nt around; sumone to D̶̲̥̅̊Φ little chores like d dishes, sweeps, mops etc
Madam shuld b able to shop, cook, even wash her clothes n her hubbys(all ⌣»̶·̵̭̌·̵̭̌✽̤̈̊Ŧђɑ̤̥̈̊п̥̥̲̣̣̣kƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇̇✽̤̈̊·̵̭̌·̵̭̌«̶⌣ to washing machine)
Any maid is beta nt b above 15yrs unlike wen ƔU̶̲̥̅̊ said minimum of 18yrs. I prefer 12yrs sef

Reasons
D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ adhere to instructions more strictly
D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ blend wit ur kids easily
D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ r nt yet really exposed to life
Dia need for money n oda material things are minimal n cubable
Etc
Pls ensure to knw her nuclear family irrespective of who brought her to ƔU̶̲̥̅̊
Run both spiritual n medical tests on her
If she steals n lies, ƔU̶̲̥̅̊ can still train her n if ƔU̶̲̥̅̊ can't, ƔU̶̲̥̅̊ beta rtn her rada dan brutalise her or she infects ur kids wit her attitude.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed / "Do People Practice Open Marriage In Nigeria?" - Lady / Coronavirus Giveaway Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.