Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,686 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:21 PM

What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? (14607 Views)

Arab Woman Places Advert In Newspaper To Praise Her Kenyan Househelp (photos) / Househelp Cleans Her Vagina With Napkin, Then Wipes Her Boss' Dishes With It:Pic / Househelp Cuts Off Baby's Hand (Graphic Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Johnheir2(m): 12:42pm On Apr 22, 2015
Character, intelligence and hmmmmm beauty
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Chimoski87(m): 12:43pm On Apr 22, 2015
(1) Does she know how to do most home chores
(2) Does she know how to massage the man in the house if the madam of the house is incapacitated
(3) Any other thing she knows after the first two will be added advantage

My 2biafran pounds

1 Like

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by omonnakoda: 12:44pm On Apr 22, 2015
House helps are a luxury and should be restricted to those who can really afford it. No children,No slave wages,No unlimited hours of work. EVERY employment should be registered and they should pay tax and be registered as tax payers.They should be on the voters register with PVC VERIFIED and as some mentioned earlier background and family check. If you cannot afford to pay and register them as a tax payer,You should not be allowed to have them. If you need Househelp for more than 40-50 hours employ several

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Buonsenso: 12:45pm On Apr 22, 2015
Johnheir2:
Character, intelligence and hmmmmm beauty
grin grin cheesy

Dear Sir,
the question is for a house help not housewife.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by imbless: 12:45pm On Apr 22, 2015
Hire a house help that have very big ukwu for extra-marital pleasure

2 Likes

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by InvertedHammer: 12:46pm On Apr 22, 2015
/
The fear of kidnappers is the beginning of wisdom.

So the days of panel-beating househelps under "transferred aggression mode" are numbered.

Some women aka madam could be wicked.
\

1 Like

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by makzeze: 12:47pm On Apr 22, 2015
OK
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Nobody: 12:55pm On Apr 22, 2015
I need a househelp...any credible alternative here?
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by MightyMuna(m): 12:56pm On Apr 22, 2015
I will never have a live-in house help. Just come early in the morning, does errands and chores and leave in the evening.

Too much horror stories for me to allow a house help live with me.

My prerequisite for hiring a house help is he/she has no disability, is competent and I know where the person's family resides.
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Nobody: 1:00pm On Apr 22, 2015
she should get BIG Yansh and BIG Boobby...dats all!!! and u r gud to go......

1 Like

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Apr 22, 2015
she should nt get BIG Yansh and BIG Boobby...dats all!!! and u r gud to go......[b]she should get BIG Yansh and BIG Boobby...dats all!!! and u r gud to go......[/b]she should get BIG Yansh and BIG Boobby...dats all!!! and u r gud to go......
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Caracta(f): 1:03pm On Apr 22, 2015
@jaybee3, spot on tongue
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by NobleG1(m): 1:04pm On Apr 22, 2015
dearpreye:
I'll be very grateful for comments addressing the topic.

In the light of the recent saga in Lagos where a Househelp kidnapped three kids from a family, I think it's high time people became more careful when employing the services of a Househelp.

What Factors Should A Family Consider When hiring the services of a househelp?

And what steps can we also take to avoid what happened in Lagos lately?

Thanks.

Hire someone from a family you know in the village. That's the best advice.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by sukkot: 1:08pm On Apr 22, 2015
factors include

1- i must be ready to be robbed
2- i must be ready to be killed at any moment
3-my kids canl be kidnapped but thats ok because i have super spe-rm and my wife has super egg and we can create more
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by bellong: 1:08pm On Apr 22, 2015
@Ifyalways,

Can I be your help? cool cool

My salary is not killing.
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by bellong: 1:11pm On Apr 22, 2015
justynneke:
@ ify always
Definination of maid varies
For me, a maid is sumone who is more sensible to stay wit ur kids wen ƔU̶̲̥̅̊ r nt around; sumone to D̶̲̥̅̊Φ little chores like d dishes, sweeps, mops etc
Madam shuld b able to shop, cook, even wash her clothes n her hubbys(all ⌣»̶·̵̭̌·̵̭̌✽̤̈̊Ŧђɑ̤̥̈̊п̥̥̲̣̣̣kƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇̇✽̤̈̊·̵̭̌·̵̭̌«̶⌣ to washing machine)
Any maid is beta nt b above 15yrs unlike wen ƔU̶̲̥̅̊ said minimum of 18yrs. I prefer 12yrs sef

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

NAPTIP alert..... cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by micklplus(m): 1:17pm On Apr 22, 2015
ifyalways:
Salary. . . Regardless of the working condition(living in or coming in daily), the salary should be at least 20,000 ngn. Pay them as and when due. Don't deduct money from their salary when they spoil things in the house eg plate.Accidents happen !.

Age. . .minimum of 18 years

Family background. . .Take your time, go and meet the family wherever they stay. Ask people around questions about the family, investigate.

Previous work experience. . .Ask, verify, meet with previous employer and ask questions.

Pictures. . .Take full lenght pictures of your help in various angles, store them in your phone, mailbox and keep har copies.

Security . . .be security conscious. Depends on where u stay, leave FIRM instructions that the help cant and should not step out of the house with your kids without your prior instruction.

Be fair and kind. . .Treat your help as you would treat your OWN child. Don't hoard food from them(they will get even by starving your kids), dont be mean to them, correct them in love, don't use them as slaves. Give them freedom but watch them closely. Give them days off.

Go further. . .show interest in their personal life,goals. Ask them what they want to do in future, encourage them and help if you can. Depending on their age, ask about their relationship,invite and know their partner.

Occasional treats . . .Buying them a gift(no matter how cheap) on their birthdays, taking him or her to a salon for a makeover/hairdo/facials occasionally won't hurt you. Such little favours and acts of love that don't cost much goes a long wayyyyyyy.

Can't deal? Say goodbye. . .If for whatever reason you don't get along,like your help,think your help is a witch/wizard, please pay him or her off and let her/him go.

Thanks ify but some of these maids are just evil.

There was a maid I had, my wife and I did everything for this girl. Paid for her to learn hair dressing, bought thing and I mean, lots of stuff yet, she was maltreating my kids. She starved them food even when I never controlled what she ate.

It Was devastating when I found out. I had to Immediately let her go because, I would have killed somebody.

Some of these maids are equally godsent Sha. One should pray to be lucky

1 Like

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Nobody: 1:19pm On Apr 22, 2015
imbless:
Hire a house help that have very big ukwu for extra-marital pleasure

That's some great recommendation! I'll give it a thought.
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by kingthreat(m): 1:22pm On Apr 22, 2015
Make sure your casual workers: drivers, househelps, nannies, security men, and cooks have someone credible that can stand as their guarantor. You must also get to meet their guarantor and have a good knowledge of the guarantor's address and social status. If these requirements are not met, please don't you ever take a risk. These personal staff can be very deadly when they go rogue like the evil housemaid recently.
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by FADEO: 1:25pm On Apr 22, 2015
very nice

ifyalways:
Salary. . . Regardless of the working condition(living in or coming in daily), the salary should be at least 20,000 ngn. Pay them as and when due. Don't deduct money from their salary when they spoil things in the house eg plate.Accidents happen !.

Age. . .minimum of 18 years

Family background. . .Take your time, go and meet the family wherever they stay. Ask people around questions about the family, investigate.

Previous work experience. . .Ask, verify, meet with previous employer and ask questions.

Pictures. . .Take full lenght pictures of your help in various angles, store them in your phone, mailbox and keep har copies.

Security . . .be security conscious. Depends on where u stay, leave FIRM instructions that the help cant and should not step out of the house with your kids without your prior instruction.

Be fair and kind. . .Treat your help as you would treat your OWN child. Don't hoard food from them(they will get even by starving your kids), dont be mean to them, correct them in love, don't use them as slaves. Give them freedom but watch them closely. Give them days off.

Go further. . .show interest in their personal life,goals. Ask them what they want to do in future, encourage them and help if you can. Depending on their age, ask about their relationship,invite and know their partner.

Occasional treats . . .Buying them a gift(no matter how cheap) on their birthdays, taking him or her to a salon for a makeover/hairdo/facials occasionally won't hurt you. Such little favours and acts of love that don't cost much goes a long wayyyyyyy.

Can't deal? Say goodbye. . .If for whatever reason you don't get along,like your help,think your help is a witch/wizard, please pay him or her off and let her/him go.
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by justynneke(f): 1:28pm On Apr 22, 2015
bellong:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

NAPTIP alert..... cheesy cheesy

Sidon D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ shout naptip
Wia naptip D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥;
wen adult ma kidnap pikins
Wen maid say oga give A̶̲̥̅♏ belle
Wen maid go D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ phuck agbero neighbour wen dem gang come rob ƔU̶̲̥̅̊
Wen maid D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ take ur pikin D̶̲̥̅̊Φ military training
Wen maid go chop, take oil rub ur pikin mouth

Just sidon jeje D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ luk. Patapata 15yrs cos I won't treat her lyk a maid
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by bellong: 1:33pm On Apr 22, 2015
justynneke:

Sidon D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ shout naptip
Wia naptip D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥;
wen adult ma kidnap pikins
Wen maid say oga give A̶̲̥̅♏ belle
Wen maid go D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ phuck agbero neighbour wen dem gang come rob ƔU̶̲̥̅̊
Wen maid D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ take ur pikin D̶̲̥̅̊Φ military training
Wen maid go chop, take oil rub ur pikin mouth

Just sidon jeje D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ luk. Patapata 15yrs cos I won't treat her lyk a maid

Adjust your font, I can't get to read what you wrote.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by ttmacoy: 1:41pm On Apr 22, 2015
Thank you. House helps in Nigeria is what developed countries will consider as a form of child abuse and slavery.

We shout about how much we want change. Yet if buhari comes in and makes law to support what you wrote below (which is correct) will the majority still back him?

omonnakoda:
House helps are a luxury and should be restricted to those who can really afford it. No children,No slave wages,No unlimited hours of work. EVERY employment should be registered and they should pay tax and be registered as tax payers.They should be on the voters register with PVC VERIFIED and as some mentioned earlier background and family check. If you cannot afford to pay and register them as a tax payer,You should not be allowed to have them. If you need Househelp for more than 40-50 hours employ several
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by axeman10(m): 1:44pm On Apr 22, 2015
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Apr 22, 2015
hotgunz:
Go to ur village and let ur people give u a better lady from a good home in return u will train her to university level.

I was going to say,,,.get a poorer extended relative (if you have)
....in return for taking care of your kids, you train them in school or help them learn a trade, depending on your pocket and their interest
....I still agree with you is what I am saying
Growing up, I had a series of my parents' cousins taking care of us, mostly two at a point, but we had three, four, one sometimes

They all took care of us well, ...in general, we were super comfy with them....and my parents made life easy for them
Even when they stoppped living with us, they would still come to the village at Christmas to help out....that good it was
I have one at my place of work...different field, but any time she comes to see me, every colleague of mine gets to hear about how I would eat novels instead of food, not do chores, etc

I remember once when I called this particular one "our maid" , she dealt with me cheesy
With her fellow "maid"
They taught us how to bathe ourselves, wash our clothes and many more
Also taught me and my siblings to go from "XYZ, I want more food/a second helping" to asking, "XYZ, is there more food please?"
Funnily, with fried ripe plantain, there was never more....but with unripe plantain porridge there was always more! Wicked people, lol.

My siblings and I used to plan war against them...plan would be to march up to them, and with "waaaarrrrr start!" we would rain blows and missiles I guess at them. The reason we never executed this action was this, no one agreed to lead the battle, lol. I refused to man up and do so. They would have finished us with "itali", SMH
They took more liberties, granted...but there was more good than bad, and everyone was happy...

I agree with you and @ Ifyalways....with her when it comes to a hired/ paid help

2 Likes

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by johnnobles: 1:54pm On Apr 22, 2015
My dear preeye. The most important factor to consider is to check out for the spirituality of the house help if u have eventually found one. Lol. There was need for me to have a house help (which I even advertised here on Nl) and my mother in law eventu obliged to bring one after much persuation. No sooner they came than my wife took her to meet our pastor and behold upon ministration we found out she is a witch! She was just telling everybody that cared to listen the atrocities she had committed over time. How she killed her father, cousins etc. When she eventually regained consciousness na so I drive all of them go the nearest hotel tell mama to return am. Thank God for my wife's foresight. If she is pure in spirit u can always bend her to the shape u want, you should however remember to take good care of her considering the fact that your children will always be at her mercy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Aminat508(f): 1:55pm On Apr 22, 2015
jaybee3:
@ caracta
spot on
Egbon mi, I cant access my mail ooo, I saw your PM
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by jaybee3(m): 1:58pm On Apr 22, 2015
Aminat508:
Egbon mi, I cant access my mail ooo, I saw your PM
PM me your email addy then
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Projectors(m): 1:58pm On Apr 22, 2015
My honest advice....

If you can avoid it pls do....

But if you can't, try a member of your family.

- Get somebody who is not too mature.
- Whom you know his or her background.
- Find a tribe you can identify with.
- Get somebody of the same faith with you.
- Don't be too desperate for just anyone.
- Always monitor and check from time to time.
- Be good to the house help
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by charlsecy(m): 1:59pm On Apr 22, 2015
Background check, trusted guarantors, prayers. Also put CCTV at home.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Aminat508(f): 2:00pm On Apr 22, 2015
jaybee3:

PM me your email addy then
okay, daddy chinedu

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is My Son Left Handed And How Do I Make Him Right Handed / "Do People Practice Open Marriage In Nigeria?" - Lady / Coronavirus Giveaway Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.