Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,491 members, 7,781,470 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:59 PM

DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) - TV/Movies (142) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) (1201987 Views)

DC Extended Universe (TV) / Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners / Marvel Cinematic Universe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) ... (1543) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by efilimu(m): 12:03pm On Aug 12, 2017
TonySpike:

I personally think Wonder Woman was just a notch above Suicide Squad. Both movies were weak and childish especially in the third act. In terms of motives and Philosophy, WW was just slightly better. Cinematography of WW was superior also. I will still place MOS and BVS above WW, not minding their box office returns.
Coming from you, I'm not surprised!
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Kingrapha(m): 12:08pm On Aug 12, 2017
TonySpike:
Let me add that the 2006 Superman returns was modelled after the beloved Christopher Reeves portrayal, a cheesy Superman. Funny enough, the movie still bombed like a pack of cards. The same useless critics complained that Snyders should have used Reeves' approach for Cavill. Might I also mention that BVS Bluray sales is still among the top 50 in 2017. Talk about underperformance.
no one is talking about blu ray sales bo performance is important for continuity..... Like the power rangers movie bombed at the bo but still alot of merchandise sales but still no sequel in plans..... Imagine if it hit at least 500 mil they'll be currently shooting a sequel..... MoS underperformed at B.O its not even a debate it didnt bomb tho.... But johns is not responsible for the early troubles of the dceu the public couldn't relate to snyders vision still a great director of visuals tho but zack is wack at story telling..... Look at the chemistry btw steve nd diana in ww and compare it yo lois and clark.... Johns actually was a right choice to head dc films .....
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by TonySpike: 12:11pm On Aug 12, 2017
Kingrapha:
the fact that the Superman returns movie was stupid does not give mos the right to gross less than 700 mil with a budget of over 200 mil and the 3rd most popular and loved superhero in the world i loved mos but i dont give excuses it underperformed....

This will give you some perspective. Superman returns (2006) had a budget of $204 million with good critical ratings and it earned only $391 million. MOS (2013) had a budget of $225 million and earned $668 million and you called that underperformance? Seriously, that's enough fact. Snyder took over Superman project when WB was becoming clueless about their next step. Infact, it took Snyder and Nolan to bring a new perspective of Superman.

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by TonySpike: 12:15pm On Aug 12, 2017
efilimu:
Coming from you, I'm not surprised!

Yes, it is coming from me. I say it as it is.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Kingrapha(m): 12:15pm On Aug 12, 2017
efilimu:
He doesn't need to define anything.
How many times have I said it on this forum that MOS and BvS underperformed at the box office?
i love dc but i sometimes avoid this thread cause its filled with snyderbots.... Snyder is a great director nd all and helped set up the dceu but snyder is not even among to me the top 10 directors in Hollywood and his movies have always underperformed at the B.O...... And not every director in the dceu should mimic his style ww, shazam, aquaman will always have a diff tone to it.....
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by efilimu(m): 12:16pm On Aug 12, 2017
Kingrapha:
no one is talking about blu ray sales bo performance is important for continuity..... Like the power rangers movie bombed at the bo but still alot of merchandise sales but still no sequel in plans..... Imagine if it hit at least 500 mil they'll be currently shooting a sequel..... MoS underperformed at B.O its not even a debate it didnt bomb tho.... But johns is not responsible for the early troubles of the dceu the public couldn't relate to snyders vision still a great director of visuals tho but zack is wack at story telling..... Look at the chemistry btw steve nd diana in ww and compare it yo lois and clark.... Johns actually was a right choice to head dc films .....
I will always say it. Snyder is responsible for the under performance of BvS and MOS. Thank God he is going after JL.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Kingrapha(m): 12:18pm On Aug 12, 2017
TonySpike:

This will give you some perspective. Superman returns (2006) had a budget of $204 million with good critical ratings and it earned only $391 million. MOS (2013) had a budget of $225 million and earned $668 million and you called that underperformance? Seriously, that's enough fact. Snyder took over Superman project when WB was becoming clueless about their next step. Infact, it took Snyder and Nolan to bring a new perspective of Superman.
superman returns is a stupid movie and mos still underperformed for a huge budget movie..... I didn't say it didn't make profit but it underperformed....
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by efilimu(m): 12:21pm On Aug 12, 2017
Kingrapha:
i love dc but i sometimes avoid this thread cause its filled with snyderbots.... Snyder is a great director nd all and helped set up the dceu but snyder is not even among to me the top 10 directors in Hollywood and his movies have always underperformed at the B.O...... And not every director in the dceu should mimic his style ww, shazam, aquaman will always have a diff tone to it.....
Guy God will bless you a million times. I can't begin to count how many times I've told them how Snyder is responsible for the BO performance of MoS and BvS. In a recent argument I even listed out the guy's track record before he came onboard to the DCEU. It was either filled with under performing films or critically maligned films. I'll give examples: Sucker Punch, Watchmen, Legend of Guardians:og, 300.
For me the guy is not even in the top 70 directors in Hollywood. He's only good at visuals and bad at story telling.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by efilimu(m): 12:23pm On Aug 12, 2017
TonySpike:

Yes, it is coming from me. I say it as it is.
You've always had a soft spot for Snyder and to a fault.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by TonySpike: 12:26pm On Aug 12, 2017
Kingrapha:
And under Johns, we've lost five good directors and had tentpoles movies like Flash and Cyborg indefinitely postponed. And you call that man a good director?
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Kingrapha(m): 12:27pm On Aug 12, 2017
TonySpike:

And under Johns, we've lost five good directors and had tentpoles movies like Flash and Cyborg indefinitely postponed. And you call that man a good director?
under johns you had the first "successful" movie
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by TonySpike: 12:30pm On Aug 12, 2017
Kingrapha:
superman returns is a stupid movie and mos still underperformed for a huge budget movie..... I didn't say it didn't make profit but it underperformed....

I thought you mentioned that any Superman movie with over $200 million budget should perform? I was just making you realise that there are indeed Superman movies that have done far worse. That's why I said you should give facts as to your underperformance notion, right from the beginning.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by TonySpike: 12:31pm On Aug 12, 2017
Kingrapha:
under johns you had the first "successful" movie
Wonder Woman had almost completed principal photography before John was appointed, dude.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by 740megawatts: 12:46pm On Aug 12, 2017
Interesting discussions this morning. So, this DCEU has lost five movie directors under Geoff Johns? That's too sad. What could be the reason(s) though?
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Kingrapha(m): 12:49pm On Aug 12, 2017
TonySpike:

Wonder Woman had almost completed principal photography before John was appointed, dude.
johns is still an ex. Producer for ww..... And about the directors.... Doug liman left because of scheduling problems... Rick had problems with the script.... The flash is now written as flashpoint and is pitched to robert zemeckis.... Nightwing, bat girl, shazam , ww2, all have directors , 4 dc movies will light up 2020 , 3 in 2019 . a titans series is coming in a new streaming service .....please johns is not the problem but the solution...
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Kingrapha(m): 12:51pm On Aug 12, 2017
TonySpike:

I thought you mentioned that any Superman movie with over $200 million budget should perform? I was just making you realise that there are indeed Superman movies that have done far worse. That's why I said you should give facts as to your underperformance notion, right from the beginning.
i said it before and am saying it again Superman returns is stupid.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Kingrapha(m): 1:32pm On Aug 12, 2017
Definition of underperformed
MoS : Opening weekend 116m Final 668m
Ww Opening weekend 103.5m Final. 810+
Doc str.
Opn wknd 85m Final. 677m .................
Bvs
Opening weekend 166m Final 876m
F7
Opening wknd 147 Final 1.5 bill
CA : CW
Opening weekend 179m Final 1.1 bill....

Opening wknd ( us and canada)
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by TonySpike: 1:45pm On Aug 12, 2017
Kingrapha:
johns is still an ex. Producer for ww..... And about the directors.... Doug liman left because of scheduling problems... Rick had problems with the script.... The flash is now written as flashpoint and is pitched to robert zemeckis.... Nightwing, bat girl, shazam , ww2, all have directors , 4 dc movies will light up 2020 , 3 in 2019 . a titans series is coming in a new streaming service .....please johns is not the problem but the solution...
Time will tell...
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by TonySpike: 1:56pm On Aug 12, 2017
Kingrapha:
Definition of underperformed

MoS :
Opening weekend 116m
Final 668m

Ww
Opening weekend 103.5m
Final. 810+

Doc str.

Opn wknd 85m
Final. 677m

Bvs

Opening weekend 166m
Final 876m

F7

Opening wknd 147
Final 1.5 bill

CA : CW

Opening weekend 179m
Final 1.1 bill....

Opening wknd ( us and canada)

FF7- 7th movie in the FF franchise
CACW - 13th movie in MCU franchise
Doctor Strange - 14th movie in MCU Franchise
WW - 4th movie in DCEU franchise
MOS - 1st movie in DCEU franchise, 6th movie in Superman franchise, 3rd best earning Superman movie since the 70s/80s. Three previously released Superman movies before it flopped.
BVS - 2nd movie in DCEU franchise.

Did you notice anything in this analysis?

1 Like

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by TonySpike: 2:10pm On Aug 12, 2017
The truth is that the last profitable Superman movie for WB was Superman 2 in 1980. Three other Superman movies after that financially flopped and embarrassed WB. This is enough to tell you that Superman was becoming unattractive and boring. WB got so embarrassed with Superman portrayals and financial flops that they had to turn to Nolan, who referred them to Snyder. Superman was no longer iconic and fashionable as being implied by the media until MOS. I am very sure WB was happy with the financial returns from MOS; it was a clear and obvious break from the past. Yet people yell at Snyder for "Making Superman Great Again". Even Superman was ditched for Batman at the height of WB'S frustration for over 20 years until 2006 which flopped again. Imagine that? And you still think that MOS had a poor outing after over 30 years of consistent financial flops ?
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by dhex(m): 2:13pm On Aug 12, 2017
Kingrapha:
I agree with you, u cant use the same tone for batman and superman or flash, they are different characters,
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by dhex(m): 2:16pm On Aug 12, 2017
While I agree that DC movies have flopped at the box office quite a few times, they have always .Ade twice the budget of their movies back all the time ,if not from ticket sales its from merchandise and DVD sales
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by TonySpike: 2:21pm On Aug 12, 2017
dhex:

I agree with you, u cant use the same tone for batman and superman or flash, they are different characters,

Nobody has said they should use the same tone. What I don't want is for DCEU to copy the exact format for MCU which excessive humour. I believe DCEU should be deliberately different from MCU. Shazam, for example, shouldn't be 100% fun. Shazam has two elemental characters: a playful soul as a kid and a lightly serious superhero as an adult. These elements should not be thrown away because of excessive humours. The ability to relate with Snyder hyper-realistic approach right from Watchmen is what has endeared me to DCEU. I watch movies to push my thoughts not necessarily for fun.

1 Like

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by TonySpike: 2:49pm On Aug 12, 2017
I got a more authoritative figure of Superman franchise performance from The Numbers.

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Kingrapha(m): 2:51pm On Aug 12, 2017
TonySpike:
The truth is that the last profitable Superman movie for WB was Superman 2. Three other Superman movies after that financially flopped and embarrassed WB. This is enough to tell you that Superman was becoming unattractive and boring. WB got so embarrassed with Superman portrayals and financial flops that they had to turn to Nolan, who referred them to Snyder. Superman was no longer iconic and fashionable as being implied by the media until MOS. I am very sure WB was happy with the financial returns from MOS; it was a clear and obvious break from the past. Yet people yell at Snyder for "Making Superman Great Again". Even Superman was ditched for Batman at the height of WB'S frustration for over 20 years until 2006 which flopped again. Imagine that? And you still think that MOS had a poor outing after over 30 years of consistent financial flops ?
you didnt get my post compared to its opening weekend it dropped drastically..... It doesnt matter whether it was the first of the franchise it had a solid opening weekend same with spiderman homecoming but its the weekend drops were let downs....

I get your point tho.... MoS was pretty solid.... And actually made profits....
Lets agree to disagree

1 Like

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Kaycee7(m): 3:37pm On Aug 12, 2017
efilimu:
Guy God will bless you a million times. I can't begin to count how many times I've told them how Snyder is responsible for the BO performance of MoS and BvS. In a recent argument I even listed out the guy's track record before he came onboard to the DCEU. It was either filled with under performing films or critically maligned films. I'll give examples: Sucker Punch, Watchmen, Legend of Guardians:og, 300.
For me the guy is not even in the top 70 directors in Hollywood. He's only good at visuals and bad at story telling.
300 grossed $456m on a $65m budget. Currently has 60% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. How is that under performing or critically maligned?
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by TonySpike: 4:15pm On Aug 12, 2017
Kingrapha:

I just wanted to comment on why I think Clark/Lois relationship wasn't really focused upon in MOS and BVS. The themes explored in both movies basically placed Lois at the back burner. In MOS, the focus was on the sojourn of Clark on earth, him trying to find his place among humans and principally trying to fight off a massive alien attack from his own kind on his first day as a superhero. In BVS, Clark was placed inside Bruce's dark, violent and broken world to continue his sojourn as a superhero. This time he had to live with consequences of the previous alien attacks which made him insecure, perplexed and hopeless. It was the darkest time of his life as a Superhero and eventually decided that he had to die to redeem himself. In WW, the theme tried to establish a relationship between god and man, Diana and Steve. So, right from the beginning of the movie, the theme was at the front burner and even led to the third act.

Making Lois the focus of MOS/BVS would have led Snyder into making similar mistakes of previous Superman movies. The previous Superman movies placed too much emphasis on Lois making them too cheesy. To me, Clark can do well without Lois. We already saw that in Smallville and many other iterations. So, I think a fresh take on Clark/Lois relationship was required. Perhaps, the writing was weaker though.

1 Like

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by efilimu(m): 4:31pm On Aug 12, 2017
Kaycee7:
300 grossed $456m on a $65m budget. Currently has 60% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. How is that under performing or critically maligned?
60% on RT means mediocre reviews: almost same situation with MOS
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Kaycee7(m): 4:35pm On Aug 12, 2017
efilimu:
60% on RT means mediocre reviews: almost same situation with MOS
If 60% means mediocre, what does 39% and below mean?

1 Like

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by efilimu(m): 4:36pm On Aug 12, 2017
Kaycee7:
If 60% means mediocre, what does 39% and below mean?
Poor, very very poor.
Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by Kaycee7(m): 4:38pm On Aug 12, 2017
efilimu:
Poor, very very poor.
And in your mind, poor is worse than mediocre?

1 Like

Re: DC EXTENDED UNIVERSE (FILM) by efilimu(m): 4:41pm On Aug 12, 2017
Kaycee7:
And in your mind, poor is worse than mediocre?
Can you get my message. With Snyder, its either mediocre reviews or under performing films at the box office.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) ... (1543) (Reply)

Zee World Movies And Soaps Official Fan Page / Big Brother Naija “All Stars“ 2023: Live Updates Thread / What Sites Can You Download Series For Free?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.