Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,513 members, 7,808,876 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:23 PM

English Premier League Weekend Preview - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / English Premier League Weekend Preview (522 Views)

The Elite List Of Nigerian Players Who Have Won The English Premier League. / What We Learned From The English Premier League Last Weekend / How The English Premier League Is Going To End (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

English Premier League Weekend Preview by sunnyeinstein(m): 3:22pm On Apr 18, 2015
Aisha Falode looks on as Sunday Omeike and Kayode Tijani sing a new tune:

Stamford Bridge is falling down Falling down Falling down Stamford Bridge is falling down My unfair Jose…

Welcome to the Barclays Premier League (BPL) Preview!

CRYSTAL PALACE V WEST BROM West Brom have won just one of their previous five BPL games with Crystal Palace (L2 D2). Sunday, will it be one in six or two in six after the game?
Sunday: One in six because Palace and Pardew are executing their tactics spot-on, while West Brom and Pulis look home and dry in the relegation scare although Leicester’s form is threatening them. Palace should however continue their good form in front of the fans but not without a good show from Pulis’ team. 2-1
Aisha: The Eagles are in full flight and secured BPL status for another season with the 4-1 away win over Sunderland last weekend. The Baggies on the other hand are struggling and could yet find themselves in serious trouble. I see Crystal Palace winning this 3-1
Kayode: The Eagles have been in superb form since February and have picked up five wins in their last six games including the victory against champions Manchester City at home. Before Alan Pardew joined them, they were in 18th position on the log but it is a different story now. They should see off WBA. 2-0

EVERTON V BURNLEY Burnley have not kept a clean sheet in any of their last thirteen league away games. Aisha, do you see them coming out unscathed here?
Aisha: Not been a good season for either side but Burnley have bigger relegation worries. Although Burnley put up a decent performance against Arsenal, they were bitterly disappointed to lose 1-0 at home. I think Everton will win this 2-1
Sunday: Everton have won consecutive home games and would look to climb to the top half of the table to continue their end of the season resurgence. Burnley however need points – and fast – to beat the drop. They could go to Everton and play for a draw but Everton have been scoring of late, while also looking solid defensively and Burnley’s Danny Ings has somehow lost his scoring magic. A home win for Martinez.‎ 3-0
Kayode: Everton have not lost in the BPL since back-to-back defeats in early March and since then they have defeated Southampton and Newcastle as well as a win away to QPR and a draw away to Swansea City. Burnley are unfortunate with their recent fixtures against the league’s biggest sides coming thick and fast. They will have it tough once more and lose 2-0

LEICESTER CITY V SWANSEA It sounds like a riddle. The two sides have only faced each other six times and had never played each other before 2009.  The two sides have split the six meetings with each side winning three times.  The two have never drawn and only once have there been fewer than two goals.  Every time Leicester has won the final score was 2-1 and every time Swansea has won they kept a clean sheet.  The home side has won this fixture every time it has taken place. Sunday, can you unravel it by telling us the outcome this time?
Sunday: Leicester pulled the rabbit out of the hat with that last minute 3-2 comeback win at West Brom last weekend and I think they’d be on fire at home. But Swansea’s style of play kills a fast-paced opponent, something they’d deploy at Leicester. Without Gomis, the Swans do not have much of a goal threat but with some Shelvey magic, they should leave with at least a point.‎ 2-2
Aisha: Leicester are fighting for survival and gave themselves a huge boost with the 3-2 away win over West Brom. Swansea are already safe but I don’t see them losing this. I’ll go for a draw. 1-1
Kayode: With the season winding down, this game doesn’t mean a whole lot to Swansea but it does to the hosts.  They have everything to play for and their hunger for the three points will set them free! 1-0

STOKE V SOUTHAMPTON Stoke have not won any of their last four league games but then, the Saints have not won any of their last three away games in the league. Anyone for a drawn match?
Aisha: The Saints were impressive in their 2-0 win over Hull. The Champions League may be too much of a target now but they can certainly get the Europa League. Stoke are at home and will make this game very difficult. A draw will be a fair result. 2-2
Sunday: Stoke are comfortable in mid-table and have some key players injured while Southampton can bring down any opponent when on form but they are just gradually finding it and Stoke won’t allow them the full points. A share of the spoil looks ‎to be the most-likely outcome. 1-1
Kayode: Stoke City will hope to move above West Ham United with a win over Southampton at the Britannia but the Saints seem to be returning to the same level of form they displayed earlier in the season. I think i will go with the others by predicting a draw. 1-1

CHELSEA V MANCHESTER UNITED Chelsea’s last home defeat in the Premier League came almost exactly one year ago (April 19, 2014 v Sunderland). They meet United on April 18. Sunday, will lightning strike twice on the same spot?
Sunday: Game of the week. Mourinho’s eyes are firmly on that elusive league crown and would not mind a draw with his team yet to find their usual brilliance, grinding out results. Diego Costa is out injured and minus the potential threat of Eden Hazard, others in the attack look worn out, therefore he’d bank on his solid defence to bail him out against an on-form Man United. Louis van Gaal’s boys look to attack with width, and in Mata, Rooney and Herrera, they have the magic that can win them the day. De Gea should be back on form to help an improving defence and in Michael Carrick, United sets the tempo and this can help them win the game – if he is fit to start. 1-2 ‎
Aisha: The title is now so close for Chelsea they can almost touch it. If they win their next three games, they will be champions. But the first of those three games is against a red hot Man United. Knowing that United are playing better at the moment, I think Jose Mourinho will play this safe and settle for a draw. 1-1
Kayode: After embarrassing their noisy neighbours, United need to harass a noisy Jose Mourinho as well. Chelsea are huffing and puffing their way towards the finish line but they will fall into the booby trap set by the Red Devils at Stamford Bridge. 1-3

MANCHESTER CITY V WEST HAM UNITED West Ham defeated Man City 2-1 in the Premier League earlier this season – they have never won both games against them in a single campaign. Aisha, can they break the jinx?
Aisha: Manchester City’s title hopes are long gone. Their Champions League aspiration is also threatened after the 4-2 loss to bitter rivals United. Manuel Pellegrini can’t afford any more slips. Even a win may not save his job. City to win this 3-1
Sunday: Redemption for City and Pellegrini as they have home comfort and an underperforming West Ham visiting. The big boys should flex their muscles but the Hammer won’t roll easily. 2-0
Kayode: Man City have lost two league matches in April this season already – they have not lost three BPL games in a single month since November 2008. They should get back to winning ways against the Hammers, though. 2-0

NEWCASTLE V TOTTENHAM Newcastle have lost their last five games. If they lose this it will match their worst ever BPL run of defeats, set last spring.
Sunday, can Spurs add to their woes? Sunday: Both clubs have hit the home stretch with similar views. Newcastle are assured of being in the BPL next season – mathematically – and racked in profit but fans are angry for ambition in the transfer market. Tottenham are also safe but from their manager, Mauricio Pochettino’s words and body language, the team does not want to pursue a place in Euro next season in order to lead an assault for a Champions League position next season. Dead rubber.‎ 1-1
Aisha: Spurs have not been impressive of late and the 1-0 home loss to Aston Villa confirms this. But Newcastle have been poor themselves and shouldn’t be much trouble. I believe Tottenham Hotspur will win this 1-2.
‎Kayode: Newcastle have lost just one of their last eight BPL home games against Spurs (W5 D2 L1), but this defeat came last season. Since defeating Arsenal in February, Tottenham have won just three of their eight league matches (W3 D2 L3). Both sides are not particularly in impressive form so I think I will settle for a draw. 2-2

That’s our package for today. Join us same time next week. Bye for now!

Read more at: http://www.thecable.ng/bpl-panel-man-u-demolish-stamford-bridge
Re: English Premier League Weekend Preview by newsomtin(m): 3:23pm On Apr 18, 2015
sunnyeinstein:
Aisha Falode looks on as Sunday Omeike and Kayode Tijani sing a new tune: Stamford Bridge is falling down Falling down Falling down Stamford Bridge is falling down My unfair Jose… Welcome to the Barclays Premier League (BPL) Preview! CRYSTAL PALACE V WEST BROM West Brom have won just one of their previous five BPL games with Crystal Palace (L2 D2). Sunday, will it be one in six or two in six after the game? Sunday: One in six because Palace and Pardew are executing their tactics spot-on, while West Brom and Pulis look home and dry in the relegation scare although Leicester’s form is threatening them. Palace should however continue their good form in front of the fans but not without a good show from Pulis’ team. 2-1 Aisha: The Eagles are in full flight and secured BPL status for another season with the 4-1 away win over Sunderland last weekend. The Baggies on the other hand are struggling and could yet find themselves in serious trouble. I see Crystal Palace winning this 3-1 Kayode: The Eagles have been in superb form since February and have picked up five wins in their last six games including the victory against champions Manchester City at home. Before Alan Pardew joined them, they were in 18th position on the log but it is a different story now. They should see off WBA. 2-0 EVERTON V BURNLEY Burnley have not kept a clean sheet in any of their last thirteen league away games. Aisha, do you see them coming out unscathed here? Aisha: Not been a good season for either side but Burnley have bigger relegation worries. Although Burnley put up a decent performance against Arsenal, they were bitterly disappointed to lose 1-0 at home. I think Everton will win this 2-1 Sunday: Everton have won consecutive home games and would look to climb to the top half of the table to continue their end of the season resurgence. Burnley however need points – and fast – to beat the drop. They could go to Everton and play for a draw but Everton have been scoring of late, while also looking solid defensively and Burnley’s Danny Ings has somehow lost his scoring magic. A home win for Martinez.‎ 3-0 Kayode: Everton have not lost in the BPL since back-to-back defeats in early March and since then they have defeated Southampton and Newcastle as well as a win away to QPR and a draw away to Swansea City. Burnley are unfortunate with their recent fixtures against the league’s biggest sides coming thick and fast. They will have it tough once more and lose 2-0 LEICESTER CITY V SWANSEA It sounds like a riddle. The two sides have only faced each other six times and had never played each other before 2009.  The two sides have split the six meetings with each side winning three times.  The two have never drawn and only once have there been fewer than two goals.  Every time Leicester has won the final score was 2-1 and every time Swansea has won they kept a clean sheet.  The home side has won this fixture every time it has taken place. Sunday, can you unravel it by telling us the outcome this time? Sunday: Leicester pulled the rabbit out of the hat with that last minute 3-2 comeback win at West Brom last weekend and I think they’d be on fire at home. But Swansea’s style of play kills a fast-paced opponent, something they’d deploy at Leicester. Without Gomis, the Swans do not have much of a goal threat but with some Shelvey magic, they should leave with at least a point.‎ 2-2 Aisha: Leicester are fighting for survival and gave themselves a huge boost with the 3-2 away win over West Brom. Swansea are already safe but I don’t see them losing this. I’ll go for a draw. 1-1 Kayode: With the season winding down, this game doesn’t mean a whole lot to Swansea but it does to the hosts.  They have everything to play for and their hunger for the three points will set them free! 1-0 STOKE V SOUTHAMPTON Stoke have not won any of their last four league games but then, the Saints have not won any of their last three away games in the league. Anyone for a drawn match? Aisha: The Saints were impressive in their 2-0 win over Hull. The Champions League may be too much of a target now but they can certainly get the Europa League. Stoke are at home and will make this game very difficult. A draw will be a fair result. 2-2 Sunday: Stoke are comfortable in mid-table and have some key players injured while Southampton can bring down any opponent when on form but they are just gradually finding it and Stoke won’t allow them the full points. A share of the spoil looks ‎to be the most-likely outcome. 1-1 Kayode: Stoke City will hope to move above West Ham United with a win over Southampton at the Britannia but the Saints seem to be returning to the same level of form they displayed earlier in the season. I think I will go with the others by predicting a draw. 1-1 Let’s go on a brief commercial break. Samuel Eto’o scores a hat-trick against United the last time both sides met at Stamford Bridge  We are back! CHELSEA V MANCHESTER UNITED Chelsea’s last home defeat in the Premier League came almost exactly one year ago (April 19, 2014 v Sunderland). They meet United on April 18. Sunday, will lightning strike twice on the same spot? Sunday: Game of the week. Mourinho’s eyes are firmly on that elusive league crown and would not mind a draw with his team yet to find their usual brilliance, grinding out results. Diego Costa is out injured and minus the potential threat of Eden Hazard, others in the attack look worn out, therefore he’d bank on his solid defence to bail him out against an on-form Man United. Louis van Gaal’s boys look to attack with width, and in Mata, Rooney and Herrera, they have the magic that can win them the day. De Gea should be back on form to help an improving defence and in Michael Carrick, United sets the tempo and this can help them win the game – if he is fit to start. 1-2 ‎ Aisha: The title is now so close for Chelsea they can almost touch it. If they win their next three games, they will be champions. But the first of those three games is against a red hot Man United. Knowing that United are playing better at the moment, I think Jose Mourinho will play this safe and settle for a draw. 1-1 Kayode: After embarrassing their noisy neighbours, United need to harass a noisy Jose Mourinho as well. Chelsea are huffing and puffing their way towards the finish line but they will fall into the booby trap set by the Red Devils at Stamford Bridge. 1-3 MANCHESTER CITY V WEST HAM UNITED West Ham defeated Man City 2-1 in the Premier League earlier this season – they have never won both games against them in a single campaign. Aisha, can they break the jinx? Aisha: Manchester City’s title hopes are long gone. Their Champions League aspiration is also threatened after the 4-2 loss to bitter rivals United. Manuel Pellegrini can’t afford any more slips. Even a win may not save his job. City to win this 3-1 Sunday: Redemption for City and Pellegrini as they have home comfort and an underperforming West Ham visiting. The big boys should flex their muscles but the Hammer won’t roll easily. 2-0 Kayode: Man City have lost two league matches in April this season already – they have not lost three BPL games in a single month since November 2008. They should get back to winning ways against the Hammers, though. 2-0 NEWCASTLE V TOTTENHAM Newcastle have lost their last five games. If they lose this it will match their worst ever BPL run of defeats, set last spring. Sunday, can Spurs add to their woes? Sunday: Both clubs have hit the home stretch with similar views. Newcastle are assured of being in the BPL next season – mathematically – and racked in profit but fans are angry for ambition in the transfer market. Tottenham are also safe but from their manager, Mauricio Pochettino’s words and body language, the team does not want to pursue a place in Euro next season in order to lead an assault for a Champions League position next season. Dead rubber.‎ 1-1 Aisha: Spurs have not been impressive of late and the 1-0 home loss to Aston Villa confirms this. But Newcastle have been poor themselves and shouldn’t be much trouble. I believe Tottenham Hotspur will win this 1-2 ‎Kayode: Newcastle have lost just one of their last eight BPL home games against Spurs (W5 D2 L1), but this defeat came last season. Since defeating Arsenal in February, Tottenham have won just three of their eight league matches (W3 D2 L3). Both sides are not particularly in impressive form so I think I will settle for a draw. 2-2 That’s our package for today. Join us same time next week. Bye for now!

Read more at: http://www.thecable.ng/bpl-panel-man-u-demolish-stamford-bridge

(1) (Reply)

The Great Debate: Is Keshi's New Deal The Right Move For Nigeria? / Football Sure Bet Of The Day / OFFICIAL: Hazard Is Elected As PFA Premier League Player Of The Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.