Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,736 members, 7,802,218 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:12 AM

Lawmakers Pass Bill To Establish National Assembly Budget Office - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lawmakers Pass Bill To Establish National Assembly Budget Office (1284 Views)

Buhari Appionts Ben Akabueze As Budget Office DG / Buhari Orders Mass Sackings At Budget Office / Ribadu, Mark Clash Over National Assembly Budget (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lawmakers Pass Bill To Establish National Assembly Budget Office by Nobody: 4:28pm On Apr 18, 2015
The Nigeria​n​ Senate on Thursday passed a bill to establish a​ ​budget and a research office​ for the National Assembly.​

The bill is titled: An act establishing an independent National Assembly budget and research office, which shall provide the National Assembly with objective, timely and nonpartisan analysis needed for economic and budget decisions and other related matters.

The bill was initiated by the Joint Committee on Appropriations and Establishment and Public Office and was presented by Ita Enang​, ​representing Akwa Ibom North East.

The bill was processed by both chambers of the sixth National Assembly sent to the President of Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan, for assent.

Unfortunately, it was sent back the National Assembly unsigned. It was once more reviewed by both houses and referred to the Committee on Appropriation to deliberate on the bill.

The senate president, David Mark said “we have been trying to pass this for a while and I am glad the Senate and House of Representatives passed this without disagreement.”

The senate also passed for second hearing, a bill for an act to provide for the establishment of the Nigerian Army Institute of Technology and Environmental Studies.

The bill seeks to provide an enabling law and legal framework for the operation of the institute.

The bill was sponsored by Kabir Marafa representing Zamfara central senatorial district. It was read for the first time on September 24, 2014.

The bill was referred to the committees on defence and judiciary to report in a week.
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/181545-%E2%80%8Blawmakers-pass-bill-to-establish-national-assembly-budget-office.html
Re: Lawmakers Pass Bill To Establish National Assembly Budget Office by Nobody: 4:35pm On Apr 18, 2015
The proposed budget would be similar to the US Congressional Budget office.
Re: Lawmakers Pass Bill To Establish National Assembly Budget Office by gabe15(m): 5:15pm On Apr 18, 2015
oky
Re: Lawmakers Pass Bill To Establish National Assembly Budget Office by Bashirfuntua(m): 5:24pm On Apr 18, 2015
time apart
Re: Lawmakers Pass Bill To Establish National Assembly Budget Office by Nobody: 5:27pm On Apr 18, 2015
gabe15:
oky
Space booker cheesy
Re: Lawmakers Pass Bill To Establish National Assembly Budget Office by PassingShot(m): 5:28pm On Apr 18, 2015
If the idea behind it is well implemented, I think it is in order.

1 Like

Re: Lawmakers Pass Bill To Establish National Assembly Budget Office by stepo707: 5:44pm On Apr 18, 2015
All for their interest.the common man is on his own
Re: Lawmakers Pass Bill To Establish National Assembly Budget Office by Sweetguy25: 5:50pm On Apr 18, 2015
I thought they had committees on finance and budgets?
If they do, what's the point of setting up this nonsense?
Re: Lawmakers Pass Bill To Establish National Assembly Budget Office by jamace(m): 5:52pm On Apr 18, 2015
Legislative duties should operate on part time basis according to the report of National confab 2014. That report should be implemented to prevent legislatures from further impoverishing the nation with their jumbo salaries and allowances.
Read more on this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/2208180/what-nigeria-stands-gain-national
Re: Lawmakers Pass Bill To Establish National Assembly Budget Office by Nobody: 5:56pm On Apr 18, 2015
Sweetguy25:
I thought they had committees on finance and budgets?
If they do, what's the point of setting up this nonsense?
The budget office would be similar to the CBO here in America. The budget office would be staffed by finance professionals that would give non-partisan analysis of the executive's budget estimates.
Re: Lawmakers Pass Bill To Establish National Assembly Budget Office by Sweetguy25: 6:14pm On Apr 18, 2015
CFCfan:

The budget office would be similar to the CBO here in America. The budget office would be staffed by finance professionals that would give non-partisan analysis of the executive's budget estimates.

Damn it. I knew these copycats had no originality.

Anyway, i don't see any need for such an office in the national assembly. Our budgetary plans are too predictable and basic to need such an office.
Re: Lawmakers Pass Bill To Establish National Assembly Budget Office by Nobody: 6:19pm On Apr 18, 2015
Sweetguy25:

Damn it. I knew these copycats had no originality.

Anyway, i don't see any need for such an office in the national assembly. Our budgetary plans are too predictable and basic to need such an office.
The budget is basically recurrent and capital expenditures+statutory transfers.
But with Buhari's plan of paying N5,000/month to the poorest 25 million people, the complexity may come in cheesy
Re: Lawmakers Pass Bill To Establish National Assembly Budget Office by Nobody: 6:20pm On Apr 18, 2015
I am yet to understand the need for this bill. I foresee another avenue to drain our resources. We already have committee on budget in both houses of the National Assembly. Anyway, let us more details on how the said office will be financed.
Re: Lawmakers Pass Bill To Establish National Assembly Budget Office by Nobody: 6:22pm On Apr 18, 2015
very sensible. Ita Enang should be commended.
Re: Lawmakers Pass Bill To Establish National Assembly Budget Office by Nobody: 6:22pm On Apr 18, 2015
CFCfan:

Must we copy and paste? Can't we be creative for once?

3 Likes

Re: Lawmakers Pass Bill To Establish National Assembly Budget Office by Sweetguy25: 6:54pm On Apr 18, 2015
CFCfan:

The budget is basically recurrent and capital expenditures+statutory transfers.
But with Buhari's plan of paying N5,000/month to the poorest 25 million people, the complexity may come in cheesy

5000 naira per month my black behind. grin
Were will the money come from with the falling crude prices?

On another note, the 2015 budget has not been passed with almost a month left to the expiration of this government.
The biggest pain in all of this is that Nigerians are not concerned. We are all basking in the euphoria and agony of the elections whilst forgetting that Nigeria is an underdeveloped country.

Now the question is - since Goodluck is leaving in nearly a months time, what is the point in passing a budget that the new government which proposes new ideas will find difficult to work with?
Passing the budget will mean a continuation of GEJ's government (that was voted out) till next year.
What are your thoughts on this predicament?
Re: Lawmakers Pass Bill To Establish National Assembly Budget Office by Nobody: 7:00pm On Apr 18, 2015
Sweetguy25:

5000 naira per month my black behind. grin
Were will the money come from with the falling crude prices?

On another note, the 2015 budget has not been passed with almost a month left to the expiration of this government.
The biggest pain in all of this is that Nigerians are not concerned. We are all basking in the euphoria and agony of the elections whilst forgetting that Nigeria is an underdeveloped country.

Now the question is - since Goodluck is leaving in nearly a months time, what is the point in passing a budget that the new government which proposes new ideas will find difficult to work with?
Passing the budget will mean a continuation of GEJ's government (that was voted out) till next year.
What are your thoughts on this predicament?
It's a shame that we have to be 6 months into the year before a budget is passed. It's really sad.
I don't think there is anything wrong with the Buhari administration operating a GEJ budget. That's how it's done elsewhere, just like OBJ's first budget was the 2000 budget. Buhari's own would have to be the 2016 budget.
Government should be a continuum, not a stop-start enterprise. That has been the bane of Nigeria for decades.
Re: Lawmakers Pass Bill To Establish National Assembly Budget Office by Nobody: 7:06pm On Apr 18, 2015
BTW, on what legal authority do the MDAs stand on when carrying out their activities when a budget has not been passed, let alone signed by the president?
I ask because Nigeria's fiscal calendar runs from Jan 1 thru December 31. So if no budget is passed before New Year's Day, shouldn't the govt be shut down?
Re: Lawmakers Pass Bill To Establish National Assembly Budget Office by Sweetguy25: 7:25pm On Apr 18, 2015
CFCfan:

It's a shame that we have to be 6 months into the year before a budget is passed. It's really sad.
I don't think there is anything wrong with the Buhari administration operating a GEJ budget. That's how it's done elsewhere, just like OBJ's first budget was the 2000 budget. Buhari's own would have to be the 2016 budget.
Government should be a continuum, not a stop-start enterprise. That has been the bane of Nigeria for decades.

It is believed that the incoming government seeks to pursue an aggressive economic plan. This can't be achieved maximally if they are working with a budget that is not tied to their fiscal plan.
I acknowledge that government needs to be a continuum but in a scenario where the incoming government persistently criticised the incumbent government on its budgetary plan, a change is expected.
If GEJ passes the budget, it ultimately means that Buhari has just three years to deliver on his economic promises. I believe I'm correct.

In another news:::: UP CHELSEA!!!
Re: Lawmakers Pass Bill To Establish National Assembly Budget Office by Sweetguy25: 7:36pm On Apr 18, 2015
CFCfan:
BTW, on what legal authority do the MDAs stand on when carrying out their activities when a budget has not been passed, let alone signed by the president?
I ask because Nigeria's fiscal calendar runs from Jan 1 thru December 31. So if no budget is passed before New Year's Day, shouldn't the govt be shut down?

I doubt if there are any laws to that effect. I think any government activity or plan (within the MDAs) that requires funding will be deferred till the budget is appropriated.
As it stands, workers are owed salaries since January. I don't know if such nonsense is allowed in the US?
Re: Lawmakers Pass Bill To Establish National Assembly Budget Office by Nobody: 7:45pm On Apr 18, 2015
Sweetguy25:

I doubt if there are any laws to that effect. I think any government activity or plan (within the MDAs) that requires funding will be deferred till the budget is appropriated.
As it stands, workers are owed salaries since January. I don't know if such nonsense is allowed in the US?
I thought as much. Workers are suffering due to the NASS lackadaisical attitude.

Govt shutdowns due to a delay in passing the budget has occurred in 1995 and 2013. The last one was only resolved after 2 weeks when the Republicans in Congress agreed to vote in favor of the Obama budget. During the shutdown, civil servants are barred from coming to work.
Re: Lawmakers Pass Bill To Establish National Assembly Budget Office by Montaque(m): 9:12pm On Apr 18, 2015
These fat legislatures are just abdicating their duties.
What is the work of the committees on budget,planning and implementation?
this move cannot stand a good judicial argument.
Re: Lawmakers Pass Bill To Establish National Assembly Budget Office by Nobody: 7:54pm On Apr 20, 2015
Montaque:
These fat legislatures are just abdicating their duties.
What is the work of the committees on budget,planning and implementation?
this move cannot stand a good judicial argument.
Lol. the judiciary has no say in the matter.
Re: Lawmakers Pass Bill To Establish National Assembly Budget Office by omolami: 8:23pm On Apr 20, 2015
This is another attempt by our law makers to increase the present 25% of the GDP they presently consume. Surely they willabuse the idea
Re: Lawmakers Pass Bill To Establish National Assembly Budget Office by Dannyset(m): 8:25pm On Apr 20, 2015
If it will benefit Nigerians good, if not biko scrap it. No Bill shld be passed if it has to intent of benefit on the common man.

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Implication Of This Qualifying Statement From Pwc On NNPC Audit / It Seems Amaechi Will Have To Settle For Ambassador To Ghana / Senate Presidency: Saraki, Lawan Camp Ready For Showdown Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.