Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,553 members, 7,809,024 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:12 PM

Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (83811 Views)

Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / 2015 Women's Afrobasket: D'Tigress On The March / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 9:47pm On Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria's Super Falcons will be in Group D alongside powerhouses USA, Sweden, and Australia.

Their schedule is as follows:

Monday June 8: vs Sweden at 9pm

Friday June 12: vs Australia at 10pm

Wednesday June 17: vs United States at 1am

This thread will be a countdown thread to the main event, which will run from June 6-June 5 in Canada.The latest activities of African champions - the Super Falcons - and their opponents will be discussed here.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 9:53pm On Apr 18, 2015
Team USA coach, Jill Ellis, has named her final 23-woman squad for the upcoming FIFA Women's world cup. 22 players ply their trade in the US, while Abby Wambach is presently unattached. A total of 8 players will be making their world cup debuts

GOALKEEPERS (3): Ashlyn Harris (Washington Spirit), Alyssa Naeher (Boston Breakers), Hope Solo (Seattle Reign FC)

DEFENDERS ( 8 ): Lori Chalupny (Chicago Red Stars), Whitney Engen (Western NY Flash), Julie Johnston (Chicago Red Stars), Meghan Klingenberg (Houston Dash), Ali Krieger (Washington Spirit), Kelley O’Hara (Sky Blue FC), Christie Rampone (Sky Blue FC), Becky Sauerbrunn (FC Kansas City)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Shannon Boxx (Chicago Red Stars), Morgan Brian (Houston Dash), Tobin Heath (Portland Thorns FC), Lauren Holiday (FC Kansas City), Carli Lloyd (Houston Dash), Heather O’Reilly (FC Kansas City), Megan Rapinoe (Seattle Reign FC)

FORWARDS (5): Sydney Leroux (Western NY Flash), Alex Morgan (Portland Thorns FC), Christen Press (Chicago Red Stars), Amy Rodriguez (FC Kansas City), Abby Wambach (unattached)

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Tolexander: 10:29pm On Apr 18, 2015
Australia? going to be thrashed!

Sweden? going to be a tussle!

USA? can't guarantee!
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by balash(m): 10:36am On Apr 19, 2015
Can't wait!!
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 12:39pm On Apr 19, 2015
Tho it will b tough, i just av d feeling we will make d next round with 4points frm d 3 games. we just nid d NFF to motivate d gals and start early (late) preparations, cuz d oda 3 teams startd preparations nd camping a week afta d draws were made.

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 2:58pm On Apr 19, 2015
Danycrusoe:
Tho it will b tough, i just av d feeling we will make d next round with 4points frm d 3 games. we just nid d NFF to motivate d gals and start early (late) preparations, cuz d oda 3 teams startd preparations nd camping a week afta d draws were made.
I think they'll garner a minimum of 5 points: a win over Australia, and two draws against Sweden and the USA.
It's achievable if the girls believe in themselves. And besides, the Super Falcons, talent wise, can stand toe-to-toe against their opponents. A possible front 3 of Oshoala, Oparanozie and Ordega/Nkwocha would terrorize opposition defenses in Canada.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 3:52pm On Apr 19, 2015
CFCfan:

I think they'll garner a minimum of 5 points: a win over Australia, and two draws against Sweden and the USA.
It's achievable if the girls believe in themselves. And besides, the Super Falcons, talent wise, can stand toe-to-toe against their opponents. A possible front 3 of Oshoala, Oparanozie and Ordega/Nkwocha would terrorize opposition defenses in Canada.
i laf, it seems u av 4goten how USA whitewashd us 8-1 in d 2003 world cup, do d teams ar different now in terms of players d status of both countries in d women footballn scope as not changd dat much. am nt sayn dey will beat us by 8 goals bt d truth is dat dey ar beta dan d falcons nd d odds ar high against us. tru we av sum gud playas like u mentiond bt cn u say dat our attack x beta dan dat of USA, nd rememba we dnt av a very compact defence and our goalkipas cn b calamitos at tyms. D difarenc btwn d 2011 team n nw x oshoala hs raisd our hopes a bit nd opara has upd ha game n coutney dike cn do wondas 2

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 4:03pm On Apr 19, 2015
Danycrusoe:

Hehehehe i laf, it seems u av 4goten how USA whitewashed us 8-1 in d 2003 world cup, tho d teams ar different now in terms of players d status of both countries in d women footballing scope as not changed dat much. am nt saying they will beat us by eight goals bt d truth is dat dey ar beta dan d falcons nd d odds ar high against us. tru we av sum good playas like u mentioned bt cn u say dat our attack x beta dan dat of USA, nd rememba we dnt av a very compact defence and our goalkeepas cn b calamitous at tyms
The 2003 result was 5-0 in favor of the USA. But I agree that the US team is better than the Falcons, but not by much; just like Chelsea aren't miles better than Arsenal.

Coach Edwin Okon can definitely improve the defensive organization of the team too. Rash tackles, which are mostly allowed without punishment in CAF competitions, would be dealt with at the World Cup. So the potential starting back 4 of Njoku, Ohale, Onome Ebi and Ngozi Ebere would have to play smart against slippery attackers.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 4:09pm On Apr 19, 2015
CFCfan:

The 2003 result was 5-0 in favor of the USA. But I agree that the US team is better than the Falcons, but not by much; just like Chelsea aren't miles better than Arsenal.

Coach Edwin Okon can definitely improve the defensive organization of the team too. Rash tackles, which are mostly allowed without punishment in CAF competitions, would be dealt with at the World Cup. So the potential starting back 4 of Njoku, Ohale, Onome Ebi and Ngozi Ebere would have to play smart against slippery attackers.
. D strikers av to improve alot especialy ordega, i hope courtney dike wil b given enuf playin tym nd lykx of nkwocha,dede n mbachu wil b dropd, doz mamas ar old, new n young playas should b brot in

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by isaiah9(m): 6:09pm On Apr 19, 2015
following

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:44pm On Apr 19, 2015
This country is so funny. You don't prepare very well for a tournament but still expect to perform well. Why the other participating countries are serious with their preparations, you are busy relying on luck or faith. The most annoying part is the NFF, who will still blame the coach for a poor outing, should the team perform below average. Nigeria is a country where 'FAITH' suffers. NFF Iiiissssshhhhh.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 8:30am On Apr 20, 2015
Danycrusoe:
. D strikers av to improve alot especialy ordega, i hope courtney dike wil b given enuf playin tym nd lykx of nkwocha,dede n mbachu wil b dropd, doz mamas ar old, new n young playas should b brot in

I wldnt subscribe to dropping dede n nkwocha.certainly mbachu can be dropped.

I think Perpetua Nkwocha,will b great if she is used as a playmaker.She still has dat star quality,and can give those killer passes.,having her on d bench is a huge advantage for d falcons.

as for dede,I really don't know who is better for now, I am not saying she is the best in that dept.But from all our options dropping her might prove calamitous.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 8:36am On Apr 20, 2015
dodobytes:

I wldnt subscribe to dropping dede n nkwocha.certainly mbachu can be dropped.

I think Perpetua Nkwocha,will b great if she is used as a playmaker.She still has dat star quality,and can give those killer passes.,having her on d bench is a huge advantage for d falcons.

as for dede,I really don't know who is better for now, I am not saying she is the best in that dept.But from all our options dropping her might prove calamitous.
I think Mbacha has even retired from the national team. Nkwocha would most likely be on the bench in Canada, because Ordega, Oshoala, Oparanozie and Courtney Dike are ahead of her in the pecking order.

And I hope Dede regains her starting spot because I'm not too comfortable with Whyte's reflexes. Also, Igbinovia, the DM in the Falconets team, should be drafted to the squad. She is a good blend of steel and immaculate passing skill.

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 8:41am On Apr 20, 2015
Our main formation at the World Cup could be a 4-3-3:

--Njoku--Ohale--Onome Ebi--Ngozi Ebere--

-----------Ayinde--Nwabuoku--Ngozi Okobi----

------Oshoala-----Oparanozie----Ordega----

Against the USA, Edwin Okon should deploy a 4-4-2, with Oshoala being in the midfield. She has the energy for that role.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 8:59am On Apr 20, 2015
ngozi okobi is simply a darling to watch, she keeps plucking away at it till she is substituted...she is a lil bit like iniesta.

Hmm. .njoku is a bit wet behind d ears, I have my reservations,she needs to polish up her game to avoid players exploiting that flank.

onome is still in top shape. .but pace isn't her strongest attribute anymore. so she can sit back more often and allow ohale push up a bit more.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 9:10am On Apr 20, 2015
asisat in d midfield might not be too cool shaa.

she no doubt has d energy,but dat may work against her.cos she might want to always force things to happen herself..by taking on her markers n doing her short bursts.instead of calming play down,drawing opposition players to urself and letting ordega/oparanozie/dike do d damage.

personally I think perpetua can play a big role in that tie..she can be d calming influence in that midfield on d day

super zee always likes to get in on the action,either from d flanks or as a poacher.

but we can't tell. ..ur permutation may just b d key against d USA
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 9:22am On Apr 20, 2015
dodobytes:
asisat in d midfield might not be too cool shaa.

she no doubt has d energy,but dat may work against her.cos she might want to always force things to happen herself..by taking on her markers n doing her short bursts.instead of calming play down,drawing opposition players to urself and letting ordega/oparanozie/dike do d damage.

personally I think perpetua can play a big role in that tie..she can be d calming influence in that midfield on d day

super zee always likes to get in on the action,either from d flanks or as a poacher.

but we can't tell. ..ur permutation may just b d key against d USA

You have a point there. Okon may decide that Superzee in the midfield would be a waste of talent. So a midfield four of Nwabuoku, Okobi, Perpetua and Ayinde could suffice. But if the US midfield play a high-pressing game, I don't know if Perpetua would cope with the pace, due to her age. She's already 39.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 9:34am On Apr 20, 2015
CFCfan:

You have a point there. Okon may decide that Superzee in the midfield would be a waste of talent. So a midfield four of Nwabuoku, Okobi, Perpetua and Ayinde could suffice. But if the US midfield play a high-pressing game, I don't know if Perpetua would cope with the pace, due to her age. She's already 39.

a high pressing game will definitely not favour our perpetua,but seeing dat we have enough youth in the midfield n attack already, I think dat can compensate for her.let nwabuoku n ayinde focus on breaking down play,okobi is a work horse too. .she wldnt shirk her defensive duties,as well as doing her job linking with d attack.
In d just concluded nations cup, I saw a glimpse of what perpetua can do if given a free role in d midfield,she shldnt be overly burdened with defensive responsibilities.
let her just be left to sprinke some gold dust in our midfield.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 9:57am On Apr 20, 2015
One thing is certain: Esther Sunday should NEVER start a World Cup game until she develops some football sense. Her unnecessary dribbles, when she could have played-in an unmarked teammate, is so annoying.

On another note, I would love to see the foot race between Oshoala and 39 year old captain of USA, Christine Rampone. There is only going to be one winner grin
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 10:28am On Apr 20, 2015
CFCfan:
One thing is certain: Esther Sunday should NEVER start a World Cup game until she develops some football sense. Her unnecessary dribbles, when she could have played-in an unmarked teammate, is so annoying.

On another note, I would love to see the foot race between Oshoala and 39 year old captain of USA, Christine Rampone. There is only going to be one winner grin
Esther sunday x lyk ahmed musa i wil prefa dz u20 gal uchechi sunday to start in ha place or even courtney dike
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 12:12pm On Apr 20, 2015
barring any injuries to our regulars, I think esther sunday has a permanent space on the substitute bench.she hasn't proven that she is capable of raising her game.

she will play a cameo role no doubt.

I will personally advocate that our right full back position be looked into seriously, njoku doesn't inspire confidence.she will grow into the position no doubt, but I think she will be shown up pretty bad at the world cup if we don't seek better alternatives.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 3:18pm On Apr 20, 2015
dodobytes:
barring any injuries to our regulars, I think esther sunday has a permanent space on the substitute bench.she hasn't proven that she is capable of raising her game.

she will play a cameo role no doubt.

I will personally advocate that our right full back position be looked into seriously, njoku doesn't inspire confidence.she will grow into the position no doubt, but I think she will be shown up pretty bad at the world cup if we don't seek better alternatives.
As for the right-back position, Josephine Chukwunonye could be an alternative. Not sure of her current form tho.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 3:55pm On Apr 20, 2015
I know dis isn't central to the topic, but does anyone know anything about Helen Ukaonu,she really did well as a falconet if I am not mistaken n scored a superb goal in 2010.

I believe she was a left full back.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Shekinah2015: 7:43pm On Apr 20, 2015
Not only helen ukaonu,how about rita chikwelu and alaba jonathan,have they lost form?
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by isaiah9(m): 8:20am On Apr 21, 2015
CFCfan:

I think Mbacha has even retired from the national team. Nkwocha would most likely be on the bench in Canada, because Ordega, Oshoala, Oparanozie and Courtney Dike are ahead of her in the pecking order.

And I hope Dede regains her starting spot because I'm not too comfortable with Whyte's reflexes. Also, Igbinovia, the DM in the Falconets team, should be drafted to the squad. She is a good blend of steel and immaculate passing skill.
wait was Courtney dike invited by the coach, cos she wasn't called up during the women's Afcon.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by olapluto(m): 8:33am On Apr 21, 2015
Nigeria will get a minimum of 5 points from the first round of matches. The progression of matches between Nigeria and USA has shown that the gap is as good as closed. It will all come down to attention to details on the day.
My biggest worry is the choice of goalkeeper by the coach Okon. Precious Dede is still the best we have, not minding her age. She is assured and still agile, though her reflexes are giving way.
Whyte is good, but fumbles set pieces alot. Foreign coaches will easily spot this.
However, I am very happy that for the 1st time in a long time, we have a super falcons team that is near 100% complete. From defence to attack, the team is ready. Halimatu Ayinde...the calm jayjay okocha of the falcons.

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by isaiah9(m): 8:34am On Apr 21, 2015
I think okobi is our best midfielder, damn that girl is a player her ball control, how she dribbles when necessary and her passes. When everyone was watching oshoala i was noticing okobi play

2 Likes

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by olapluto(m): 8:34am On Apr 21, 2015
Shekinah2015:
Not only helen ukaonu,how about rita chikwelu and alaba jonathan,have they lost form?
Rita has lost form. We however have several players abroad who can enter the team. In the swedish league alone, we have Sarah Michael, and mama Nkwocha. I think the coach should extend invitation to them too.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 5:01pm On Apr 21, 2015
olapluto:

Rita has lost form. We however have several players abroad who can enter the team. In the swedish league alone, we have Sarah Michael, and mama Nkwocha. I think the coach should extend invitation to them too.
He should consider 26-27 players, and from there choose the final 23.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by olapluto(m): 5:46pm On Apr 21, 2015
So I spent my lunch time watching Super falcons matches from the past 3 world cups. They lost by 1 goal everytime, and they always seem to be the dominant team!
This says a lot about the technical aspect of their game. I believe they will be more alert this time around. Moreso, the strike force has come of age. Oparanozie, Oshoala, Esther Sunday as a pacy front 3 will cause anyone problems anyday.

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 7:12pm On Apr 21, 2015
olapluto:
So I spent my lunch time watching Super falcons matches from the past 3 world cups. They lost by 1 goal everytime, and they always seem to be the dominant team!
This says a lot about the technical aspect of their game. I believe they will be more alert this time around. Moreso, the strike force has come of age. Oparanozie, Oshoala, Esther Sunday as a pacy front 3 will cause anyone problems anyday.
Esther Sunday is a no-no for me until she improves her football sense. I would replace her in the starting line up with Ordega. Ordega has the same dribbling skills, but with a superior football sense. She generally knows when to play in a team mate.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply)

Sergio Ramos Wearing A Nigerian Flag? Twitter Users Ask (Photos) / Dj Cuppy Switches To Man Utd: Gets Official Welcome From The Club / Nobody Knows Tomorrow : Mikel Obi Before The Fame And Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.