Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,002 members, 7,803,321 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:43 PM

Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (83746 Views)

Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / 2015 Women's Afrobasket: D'Tigress On The March / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Duru1(m): 6:41pm On Apr 30, 2015
olapluto:

With all due respect, the games in England are not as tough as the games in our local league. Oshoala said this after playing few games in Liverpool colours.
I will think the six strikers are : Oparanozie, Oshoala, Sunday Ordega, Sarah Michael, Perpetua. The last spot is up for grabs amongst the newbies.

The tactical approach of the game of soccer often come from the selection process of the players. I do not know much about Sarah Michael and the case of Nkwocha for me is bordered on her age however the height of Uchechi Sunday with her canny ability as a striker must be a welcome presence on Nigerian side. In addition, Ini Umotong and Chinwedu Ihezuo must be on this team. I would not mind dropping Loveth Ayila and C. Dike. Nigeria’s opponents in FIFA 2015 Canada are going to brace up for a physical game therefore Nigeria should be equally ready for such encounter.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 7:02pm On Apr 30, 2015
Duru1:

The tactical approach of the game of soccer often came from the selection process of the players. I do not know much about Sarah Michael and the case of Nkwocha for me is bordered on her age however the height of Uchechi Sunday with her canny ability as a striker must be a welcome presence on Nigerian side. In addition, Ini Umotong and Chinwedu Ihezuo must be on this team. I would not mind dropping Loveth Ayila and C. Dike. Nigeria’s opponents in FIFA 2015 Canada are going to brace up for a physical game therefore Nigeria should be equally ready for such encounter.
My six forwards would be Oshoala, Oparanozie, Ordega, Uchechi, Dike, and Umotong
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Afam4eva(m): 10:24pm On Apr 30, 2015
O boy, see as people dey analyse female football. I've really lost touch.

I'm happy to still see Nkwocha. There's this other lady that has "Orji" as her surname. Where's she?
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 11:09pm On Apr 30, 2015
CFCfan:

My six forwards would be Oshoala, Oparanozie, Ordega, Uchechi, Dike, and Umotong

Oshoala,Oparanozie and Ordega are sure bets.

Umotong is definitely making it difficult to be overlooked.

I have a feeling Dike may not make d final cut.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Duru1(m): 1:48am On May 01, 2015
The match against USWNT shall be won or lost at the midfield. A player such Chiwendu Ihezuo who is a classic striker and has the size and stamina to handle duties at the midfield should be deployed. In addition, I liked the defensive midfield play of Oserenoma Igbinovia.
However I am disappointed that Nigeria's Falcon handlers are still inviting players to the camp while their opponents have already named their world cup teams. I am convinced that preparation or lack thereof is going to be another drawback for Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 2:43am On May 01, 2015
Duru1:
The match against USWNT shall be won or lost at the midfield. A player such Chiwendu Ihezuo who is a classic striker and has the size and stamina to handle duties at the midfield should be deployed. In addition, I liked the defensive midfield play of Oserenoma Igbinovia.
However I am disappointed that Nigeria's Falcon handlers are still inviting players to the camp while their opponents have already named their world cup teams. I am convinced that preparation or lack thereof is going to be another drawback for Nigeria.
I'm with u on the inclusion of Igbinovia. She'll add guile and steel as a DM.
Edwin Okon could even deploy 5 in the midfield in the really tough games (against USA and in the knockout round) with Oshoala as the lone striker.
A midfield five of Nwabuoko, Igbinovia, Ayinde, Uchechi, and Okobi may do the trick. Whenever the Falcons have the ball, the trio of Uchechi, Okobi and Ayinde would support Oshoala, while the other 6 outfield players stay in our own half to be less susceptible to a counter attack.

Or when either full back overlaps, the other would stay put in defense to ensure that 5 players are in our half of the field.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Duru1(m): 2:53am On May 01, 2015
CFCfan:

I'm with u on the inclusion of Igbinovia. She'll add guile and steel as a DM.
Edwin Okon could even deploy 5 in the midfield in the really tough games (against USA and in the knockout round) with Oshoala as the lone striker.
A midfield five of Nwabuoko, Igbinovia, Ayinde, Uchechi, and Okobi may do the trick. Whenever the Falcons have the ball, the trio of Uchechi, Okobi and Ayinde would support Oshoala, while the other 6 outfield players stay in our own half to be less susceptible to a counter attack.

Or when either full back overlaps, the other would stay put in defense to ensure that 5 players are in our half of the field.

Your narratives are what the coaches should readily emphasize before the players.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:59pm On May 01, 2015
dodobytes:

Bros fear God oo!..even Njoku herself nor support you for this one wey u talk so.

No I actually watch games not scorelines. I saw the under 20 she was no nonsense and especially in the African cup where i believe she started almost every game, and while im 'fearing' God as u say she will be starting at the world cup so what's not world class about that? If u can point out one goal scored against us in which she has been caught lacking i will gladly take back my statement.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:03pm On May 01, 2015
olapluto:
lol. Is she your sister?
lol why not is she not Nigerian
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by olapluto(m): 1:45pm On May 02, 2015
Exactly 35 days to the start of the world cup. So how many points can we make from our group games? I predict an audacious 7 points. Wins against USA and Australia, draw with Sweden in the first match.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Duru1(m): 5:34pm On May 02, 2015
If I may decide the points based on the preparatory aspect of the process, Nigeria could get only 3 points and not advance out of the group stage. In addition, Nigerians and players seem to emphasize more on who scored a goal than team victory.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 5:39pm On May 02, 2015
olapluto:
Exactly 35 days to the start of the world cup. So how many points can we make from our group games? I predict an audacious 7 points. Wins against USA and Australia, draw with Sweden in the first match.
I'm predicting the reverse: wins against Australia and Sweden, and a draw with the US.
The lowest point tally would be 5: a win against Australia, and draws with Sweden and the US. I see the Super Falcons being the runners up in the group.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by olapluto(m): 7:24pm On May 02, 2015
CFCfan:

I'm predicting the reverse: wins against Australia and Sweden, and a draw with the US.
The lowest point tally would be 5: a win against Australia, and draws with Sweden and the US. I see the Super Falcons being the runners up in the group.

Are we being too patriotic or being realistic?
ps. Is there a thread for tonight's world relays?
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 10:45pm On May 02, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

No I actually watch games not scorelines. I saw the under 20 she was no nonsense and especially in the African cup where i believe she started almost every game, and while im 'fearing' God as u say she will be starting at the world cup so what's not world class about that? If u can point out one goal scored against us in which she has been caught lacking i will gladly take back my statement.

Hi mate,i can count many players that have started worldcups and are not up to scratch,so the fact that a player makes d world cup squad and even starts does not immediately confer upon such a one a world class status.So many things can make a player start in a game,such as unavailability of better players,injuries,sentiments etc.
If your theory is to hold true,then all the boys Keshi took to the world cup are world class.

Are you actually comparing U20 tournament to the world cup? ,for the fact that she acquitted herself well during that tournament is no yardstick to conclude she has already arrived.I never said she is the worst ever,but i insisted she has some issues that if left unchecked may prove costly.

Anyone that has watched Njoku play will agree that her tackling isnt the neatest,her recovery isnt the fastest and her temperament may also need to be looked into.

A stitch in time saves nine,i still feel she may prove the weakest link if serious work is not done to up her game.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:16am On May 03, 2015
dodobytes:

Hi mate,i can count many players that have started worldcups and are not up to scratch,so the fact that a player makes d world cup squad and even starts does not immediately confer upon such a one a world class status.So many things can make a player start in a game,such as unavailability of better players,injuries,sentiments etc.
If your theory is to hold true,then all the boys Keshi took to the world cup are world class.

Are you actually comparing U20 tournament to the world cup? ,for the fact that she acquitted herself well during that tournament is no yardstick to conclude she has already arrived.I never said she is the worst ever,but i insisted she has some issues that if left unchecked may prove costly.

Anyone that has watched Njoku play will agree that her tackling isnt the neatest,her recovery isnt the fastest and her temperament may also need to be looked into.

A stitch in time saves nine,i still feel she may prove the weakest link if serious work is not done to up her game.

Yea u can use the sub 20 as a yardstick, why not BBC did that with Oshoala or are we saying the award is based on her time with Liverpool Ladies?
We all know Keshi defies all logic boss so don't hit me with a low blow lol. If she was a man would you care about her attitude? I never saw her get sent off and I love her meanness it is what makes her so valuable to this team with her we can't get bullied. Also her passes going forward are a breath of fresh air, i know there is room for improvement but remember she is at most 20 years of age.

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:29am On May 03, 2015
My prediction stays the same, we are winning the world cup. My first women's world cup experience was in 99 we had a decent team then but no ingredient X no special player who could create magic, America did, her name was Mia Hamm, now we have our own MESSIah in Oshoala and these women will do what no man has never done and that is bring Africa a world cup.

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 9:15am On May 03, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

Yea u can use the sub 20 as a yardstick, why not BBC did that with Oshoala or are we saying the award is based on her time with Liverpool Ladies?
We all know Keshi defies all logic boss so don't hit me with a low blow lol. If she was a man would you care about her attitude? I never saw her get sent off and I love her meanness it is what makes her so valuable to this team with her we can't get bullied. Also her passes going forward are a breath of fresh air, i know there is room for improvement but remember she is at most 20 years of age.

I am not a male chauvinist,if I were I won't b discussing female football.Every professional footballer, irrespective of gender should have a good attitude.

In football there are special players, n superzee falls in dat category,so it won't work dat way for every other player.

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:51pm On May 03, 2015
dodobytes:

I am not a male chauvinist,if I were I won't b discussing female football.Every professional footballer, irrespective of gender should have a good attitude.

In football there are special players, n superzee falls in dat category,so it won't work dat way for every other player.

I wouldn't accuse you of such, all im saying is sometimes a player's attitude gives them their edge. You can try to isolate Oshoala but do remember that Njoku was also one of the few who were graduated to the senior side and she played a lion's share at the African championship.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 3:10pm On May 03, 2015
6 days to go till Saturday's 1st leg Olympic qualifier vs Mali...

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 11:35am On May 05, 2015
Altho much of Africa was slow 2
adopt women's futball, Nigeria was an
early breaker of ground on d
continent. 1 of the women @ d
forefront of dat seedin and growth
was 'Marvellous' Mercy Akide, a powerful, excitn player who proved to
a sceptical Nigerian public dat women
could play an entertainin brand of
futball and compete against the
world's best. She also signalld 2 d world dat
Africa could b a hotbed of women's
talent. Akide was named by CAF as d
1st African Women's Futballa of the
Year in 2002 n was the speedy
attackn tip of an offensive-minded Super Falcons side dat made a
gradually greater impact at the FIFA
Women's World Cup tru d 90s. All told, Akide played in 3 Women's
World Cups, scorin 2 goals in 8
matches. Altho she appeared at
Sweden 1995 in one contest, it was @
USA 1999 dat she really burst on2 d
international scene. It was dia dat she opened the scorin for the Falcons
in their 2 wins dia 1st at the mundial n playd a big part in 1 of d greatest matches in the history of
the event
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 11:37am On May 05, 2015
Mercy Akide profile continued.. A 4-3 Brazilian victory over Nigeria in the quarter-finals that saw the Africans come from three goals behind only to fall in extra time after being reduced to ten players. Although the 2003 Women's World Cup was a disappointment for the Nigerians, Akide again captured the public imagination over two Olympic Football Tournaments, scoring four of six total goals by the team at the 2000 and 2004 Olympiads. She also led the team to three African championships. Such were her performances that Akide broke more ground, becoming the first African to play in the high-profile but now-defunct WUSA during its inaugural season. She stayed in the United States to coach and was appointed an Ambassador for Women's Football by FIFA in 2005. Active in teaching and helping to place young players in development situations, Akide has continued to be an inspirational light in women's football in both her home and adopted country.

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 11:54pm On May 06, 2015
Oshoala, Ordega, Nwabuoku and Courtney Dike will miss Saturday's match due to club commitments.

So I think Umotong would partner Oparanozie upfront
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by terzurum5(m): 9:37am On May 09, 2015
How Falcons denied me an award in Sweden –Ikidi.
Sweden based Super Falcons defence minister; Faith Ikidi has rued Nigeria’s continued absence at the prestigious Algarve Cup competition.
The Algarve Cup, an annual global invitational tournament for national women’s teams, is hosted by Portugal and serves as the melting point for World Cup bound teams to test their might ahead of any FIFA Women’s World Cup tournament.
In an interview with Saturday SunSports, Ikidi who plays for Pitea IF of Sweden, lamented that again this year, Super Falcons as African Champions were missing in the tournament that was won by their Canada 2015 World Cup opponents, USA.
According to Ikidi, the inability of Nigeria to participate in the Algarve Cup has consistently on a yearly basis robbed her of the opportunity of carting home the best defender award in the Swedish League.
Excited that Falcons qualified for the 11th All Africa Games in Congo, the former QBIK FC of Sweden defence marshal spoke about her dreams of helping Nigeria at the forthcoming Canada 2015 FIFA World Cup.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 2:42pm On May 09, 2015
The Malians have withdrawn from the Olympic qualifiers. Therefore, the Super Falcons are through to the 3rd round of the Rio Olympic qualifiers (round of eight) which begins in July.

The official reason given by the Malians was "logistical problems", but I guess it's more to do with the last 8-0 bashing they received in Abuja. grin
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Duru1(m): 3:14pm On May 09, 2015
terzurum5:
How Falcons denied me an award in Sweden –Ikidi.
Sweden based Super Falcons defence minister; Faith Ikidi has rued Nigeria’s continued absence at the prestigious Algarve Cup competition.
The Algarve Cup, an annual global invitational tournament for national women’s teams, is hosted by Portugal and serves as the melting point for World Cup bound teams to test their might ahead of any FIFA Women’s World Cup tournament.
In an interview with Saturday SunSports, Ikidi who plays for Pitea IF of Sweden, lamented that again this year, Super Falcons as African Champions were missing in the tournament that was won by their Canada 2015 World Cup opponents, USA.
According to Ikidi, the inability of Nigeria to participate in the Algarve Cup has consistently on a yearly basis robbed her of the opportunity of carting home the best defender award in the Swedish League.
Excited that Falcons qualified for the 11th All Africa Games in Congo, the former QBIK FC of Sweden defence marshal spoke about her dreams of helping Nigeria at the forthcoming Canada 2015 FIFA World Cup.

I really do not know all about the Algarve Cup that is hosted by Portugal but I do believe it is based on invitation by host country. Since the inception of the competition, no African country has been invited to the tournament yet FIFA kept lip service of no discrimination in its organization. Every world Cup bound team was invited except any of the teams from Africa.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 9:07pm On May 09, 2015
The Malians pulling out at the last minute isn't too cool,we need competitive fixtures to tune up d team as we prepare for d world cup.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Duru1(m): 9:16pm On May 09, 2015
dodobytes:
The Malians pulling out at the last minute isn't too cool,we need competitive fixtures to tune up d team as we prepare for d world cup.

Few of the Nigeria’s preparatory stanzas toward world cup in Canada included a match or two with Malians during the Olympic qualifiers. Anyway, Nigerians are known for having their eggs in one basket. In fact, the team will be very lucky to secure a draw in their group stage.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 9:23pm On May 09, 2015
The NFF are trying to secure friendlies with New Zealand and Canada before the WC.

I'm also disappointed that the Malians withdrew from the Rio qualifiers; the 2 games would have further sharpened the players. But the good news out of it is that the Falcons are thru to the 3rd round of the Olympics qualifiers.
The 3rd round is a round of 8, whilst the 4th and last round is a round of 4.

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by humberjade: 11:42pm On May 09, 2015
Pls who has seen Ini Umotong of Portsmouth Ladies play? Her mouthwatering stats makes a whole lot of sense. For a striker with a tally of 20 goals in 12 matches 4 her club, including two hat-tricks so far this year; she must know her onions.

I pray she makes d final cut to d mundial, i can't just wait to watch her play alongside Asisat Oshoala and Opara.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by humberjade: 11:49pm On May 09, 2015
CFCfan:
The NFF are trying to secure friendlies with New Zealand and Canada before the WC.

That would be lovely.

It'll help them a lot considering our almost non-existent Female League; it'll come in handy in shaping d home-based players up for d task ahead.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 2:53am On May 10, 2015
humberjade:
Pls who has seen Ini Umotong of Portsmouth Ladies play? Her mouthwatering stats makes a whole lot of sense. For a striker with a tally of 20 goals in 12 matches 4 her club, including two hat-tricks so far this year; she must know her onions.

I pray she makes d final cut to d mundial, i can't just wait to watch her play alongside Asisat Oshoala and Opara.
Yeah, she's been on fire in the English Southern League. And she even scored in a practice game against the Confluence Queens.

Okon is gonna have a hard time choosing amongst her, Uchechi Sunday, Ihezuo, and Courtney Dike for the remaining 1 or 2 slots in the attack. Already, the likes of Oshoala, Ordega, Oparanozie, and Esther Sunday are sure bankers for the 23-woman squad.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 8:50am On May 10, 2015
CFCfan:

Yeah, she's been on fire in the English Southern League. And she even scored in a practice game against the Confluence Queens.

Okon is gonna have a hard time choosing amongst her, Uchechi Sunday, Ihezuo, and Courtney Dike for the remaining 1 or 2 slots in the attack. Already, the likes of Oshoala, Ordega, Oparanozie, and Esther Sunday are sure bankers for the 23-woman squad.

Except Okon is just being sentimental,Esther Sunday shouldn't leap frog Umotong,Uchechi n Dike,because I feel all three are better than her.

I have a feeling Dike won't make d squad,her non appearance at the nations cup and the fact that she isn't making the headlines with breathtaking club performances may just work against her.

I would pick Uchechi,Ihezuo and Umotong alongside superzee,Oparanozie and Ordega.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply)

Sergio Ramos Wearing A Nigerian Flag? Twitter Users Ask (Photos) / Dj Cuppy Switches To Man Utd: Gets Official Welcome From The Club / Nobody Knows Tomorrow : Mikel Obi Before The Fame And Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.