Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,164 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:59 AM

Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry (26090 Views)

Bankers To Be Sacked For Introducing Customers To MMM / Lagos Banker Sacked For Tweeting About Hating His Job / Nigerian Gets Sacked For Fraud After Wife Testifies In Church Of His New Mansion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by thefakestan: 8:17am On Apr 19, 2015
You can remove the signature,
He was lazy

1 Like

Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by kpofkpof: 8:18am On Apr 19, 2015
vfactor:

It can be removed na. Aah!

Removal is optional. It is allowed in ALL banks I've worked with in my 10 years of banking experience.

That Your Friend Never talk true.

1 Like

Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by talk2yommex2000(m): 8:18am On Apr 19, 2015
vfactor:

It can be removed na. Aah!

lz, how do i change this signature of a thing, cos each time
I sent message from my phone, it usually display "sent from
opsson smartphone" from receiver's end.
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by Horlufemi(m): 8:18am On Apr 19, 2015
Sue the company. Collect good money make una no see again.
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by NaLaugh: 8:22am On Apr 19, 2015
What's up with all these "A friend of mine" stories all up on the frontpage? undecided

1 Like

Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by Nobody: 8:25am On Apr 19, 2015
Every email client allows for you to change to a proper signature.

By default, most devices / services insert a signature as some sort of advert - sent from Samsung device, sent from windows phone, sent from nine, etc.

The moment you are using your device for official emails (not personal) it is best you insert a variant of your company signature.

This is very important if you are sending an email that will be shared/ seen by the ogas at the top, who may take this kind of thing very seriously.

For some, sending emails formatted in unapproved fonts is an issue.

The question is does the company have a clear policy on this. The second issue is that you must always use discretion. If sending an internal dept mail, I may not be bothered too much about formatting etal, but a mail going outside of the department, you have to be careful.

To all mobile device/ Mobile email app users, please take the time to change the default signatures, or engage someone who can.

1 Like

Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by seedorfg(m): 8:26am On Apr 19, 2015
eiyaaaah eye yam sowing
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by Nobody: 8:29am On Apr 19, 2015
talk2yommex2000:

lz, how do i change this signature of a thing, cos each time
I sent message from my phone, it usually display "sent from
opsson smartphone" from receiver's end.

Its usually at the end of the message u re sending. You could delete it manually or go setting and unchecked the signature box
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by gragraboy: 8:30am On Apr 19, 2015
This is total rubish.....only a black man would have such a foolish mentality. Maybe it was for another reason they sacked him i don't see how using a BB or android tablet or ipad to send mail is wrong. Should he use only pc? Then why do i have a bb only to chat?

1 Like

Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by hardbody: 8:31am On Apr 19, 2015
I do not get it. I receive and send official mails using my palm top. Infact i just read this thread after sending mails to my directors cancelling both a Board and an Annual General Meeting. Sure my signature sign off saying sent from my samsung bla bla will appear. Am i not supposed to work from everywhere in the world? Whoever it is that got fired because of thiz was always on the line of fire except of course there is an express company policy against doing this. Its a big charade.
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by mrramadan(m): 8:38am On Apr 19, 2015
biggy00000:
Pls I want to talk oo.
1- did the company permit staff to link their devices to their official mail? ( wait for ur company official policy/ guideline before telling hr that u r smart n u use a smart phone)
2-- if ur company permit 1 then its either u did not follow policy( policy would av stated aw to configure n what to edit) OR 3
3--- HR WANTED TO LAY U OFF.

These are the most important questions to ask. I am regularly on the field and I send and reply emails from my mobile device on a daily basis. The signature "From Blackberry or Samsung" . This is also to let the person you are sending the email to know that you are on the move have limited access to a computer.
There is a reason why it is called a smartphone, before Nigeria turned it into a show off device which even secondary school students now carry smartphones around, it was actually made for professionals.

2 Likes

Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by Nobody: 8:39am On Apr 19, 2015
@topic, your friend did not tell you the full gist. Was he working with a telecom company? Am sure the signature shows 'sent from smartphone BB10 from airtel' if he works with mtn or as the case maybe.

When I used to work with one of the telecom companies it happened to a colleague. Sent an official mail from his bb and showing sent from a competitor company. He replied a mail copying all the managers na so them sack am.

It means you don't believe your Brand.
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by Setaje(f): 8:50am On Apr 19, 2015
A nairalander has told me about this thing before. He said I should remove the blackberry10 signature when I am applying for a job. I found it so ridiculous. I have gotten a lot of interviews through this same phone. Hmmmn e be like say I go remove am o.
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by redcliff: 8:53am On Apr 19, 2015
Koolmexxi:
He wasn't sacked for sending an official mail with his mobile device but rather for making an unprofessional and silly mistake of sending an official mail with d really dumb default BlackBerry signature... Like seriously who uses dat?? I personally find it annoying receiving mails with dat really dumb signature..

What dumb? You Nigerians just try to look for fsults where they are not. If we in the first place know what the oroginal use of blackberry is, we would not be having this conversation. This device was specifically manufactured for business professionals and it was never a phone for the masses until it came to Nigeria and was misused inappropriately by every tom dic..k and harry... rubbish.
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by Oyecute(m): 8:57am On Apr 19, 2015
How do one change the blackberry signature to a suitable one?
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by freakcin: 8:57am On Apr 19, 2015
A lot of companies issue official BB to their staff (mine inclusive). I have not really taken note of the sent from my black berry but I'm guessing it's been removed by default. . . I think there's more to this story.
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by ojnnaco(m): 8:57am On Apr 19, 2015
D boss deh over reactive. Just in a bid to accomplish d task he was given he was sacked.
#Kpele
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by nicerichard05: 9:01am On Apr 19, 2015
Hmmm, I send my daily report most times with my Q10, wat I do it to send the excel sheet via bluetooth nd den attach it to d mail before sending, but I have edited my BlackBerry signature to my name so it will never show via BlackBerry 10 device.
That guy nor sharp at all. Lolz
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by talk2yommex2000(m): 9:06am On Apr 19, 2015
vfactor:

Its usually at the end of the message u re sending. You could delete it manually or go setting and unchecked the signature box

thanks bro
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by mystiqueDZ(f): 9:06am On Apr 19, 2015
Thats not the reason he was sacked......But seriously what does it take to change the signature....Just édit 'sent from 3310' to your name ....

1 Like

Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by Nobody: 9:07am On Apr 19, 2015
talk2yommex2000:

thanks bro

You re welcome
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by DukeNija(m): 9:10am On Apr 19, 2015
undecided
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by lordprosh(m): 9:10am On Apr 19, 2015
taiwolusol:
People now get fired or sending mails with their phone. grin

Soon enough, it will be for sending mails at all

Now, thats a good joke grin grin grin

Are u following?
Did u read d post @ all
Don't u find it stupid to send an official mail with dat stupid signature?

But the truth be told his HR manager is wicked oo..
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by slap1(m): 9:11am On Apr 19, 2015
Should have used an Android.
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by akpamfet: 9:12am On Apr 19, 2015
What type of company is that? Let's assume it's against company policy...suspension max. but ur mumu friend sef, does he not know it could be edited out? undecided
If Na bank...ur guy no meet target. he should say the truth jor...what's there? Or take MystiqueDZs advice..."sent from my 3310" tongue
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by smokeyupu(m): 9:14am On Apr 19, 2015
kachnov:
On his part,highly unprofessional. On the HR's part highly over reactive.
that's if the story is not tales by moonlight.
It all depends on company policy. I send all sorts of email to our clients via blackberry when I'm out of office or by desktop when I'm in d office. All mails received on our server r automatically received on my BB. My clients r worldwide so can b in d office when im in bed.

1 Like

Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by Bollinger(m): 9:20am On Apr 19, 2015
kachnov:
On his part,highly unprofessional. On the HR's part highly over reactive.
that's if the story is not tales by moonlight.

Over reactive you say? sending classified mail using an unclassified server is a no-go, especially if the corporate policy forbids it. This is to prevent corporate espionage. He might be lucky if he is not sued. If there is a breach because of his negligence and a rival company extracts sensitive information because of him, then he might be liable. This is a lesson for everyone. Not every company has a ajanlekoko mentality. In my line of work, you go to jail. Period.

1 Like

Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by Nobody: 9:21am On Apr 19, 2015
Over reacting my boss send mail and I see sent from Windows, BlackBerry, HTC the list goes on. That's too bad
Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by DECOtech(m): 9:29am On Apr 19, 2015
I don't think he was sacked just cos of the mail sending whatever. He has not told us the truth.

What I think actually happened was that he was not where he was expected to be at the time of sending that mail, hence his usage of a mobile device in a bid to cover up his absence from office or duty post at that certain time.

Mind you, I'm posting from my blackberry phone oh. Hope I won't be banned sha.

2 Likes

Re: Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry by coolluk(m): 9:33am On Apr 19, 2015
hizaya61:
a friend of mine told me he was sacked last month for sending an official mail with blackberry Q10 because of the signature "sent from blackberry 10", do you believe this?

its funny, but it the mail was sent from an ipad it would have been allowed abi? Dem wan sack dat guy since, na excuse dem dey find

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Recession: Construction Firms Sack 65,000 Workers / My Boss Just Did Me A Massive Favour, But I'm Still Worried. / What I Learnt From Leaving My Teaching Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.