Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,973 members, 7,806,830 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:50 AM

Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section (4051 Views)

Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched / Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA / Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Nobody: 12:19am On Apr 21, 2015
Right, I think we can round this off after B2mario's submission. As for people like phut who mentioned Igbo forums or platforms we should make use of, I recommend http://www.igboradio.com/. It's a website I've recently taken to visiting to learn Igbo, and it's open to donations. Anyone with other suggestions please mention them in this thread.

@B2mario, thanks for volunteering to write. By doing so at least we will get to have a different perspective of how a distinct Igbo language section may have been advantageous.
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by tonychristopher: 10:28am On Apr 21, 2015
THAT WILL BE A NICE THREAD AND I WILL BE IMPRESSED, I THINK WE HAVE TO START WITH THE TOPIC IGBO101 AND IT IS WHO IS AN IGBO AND WHAT ARE THE FACTORS THAT MAKE ONE AN IGBO AND WHAT ARE THE INDICES OF IGBO...IFE EJI ABU IGBO ERIKA ...

THEN NEXT IS WHAT ARE THE IDEOLOGY,PHILOSOPHY OF IGBO

THE NEXT IS WE VISIT IGBO HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE. THIS IS IMPERATIVE AND I KNOW THAT OneNaira6, Piacenza, Shizzle11, Fletz, sunnybobo, obiagu, itchidodo, ezeagu CAN HANDLE THIS SUBJECTS....

NOW WE NEED TO POST POSITIVE PICTURES AND DEVELOPEMENT OF IGBO LAND BE IT IN SE/SS IGBO. I MEAN ONLY IGBO LAND, IT CAN BE A MIXED THING, ENGLISH AND IGBO/.

AS A PR EXPERT, I KNOW WHAT IT MEANS TO PROJECT ONE IN SOCIAL MEDIA...SO I THINK WE HAVE TO DO THIS AND IT SHOULD BE ALWAYS IN FRONT PAGE, DERAILERS WILL BE BANNED, WE CAN ARGUE BUT NOT ABUSE

UMUNNE KEDU IFE UNU CHERE NA OKWU M

bigfrancis21 musing2 asadike Radoillo tonychristopher asadike, ezeagu, OreMI22 PAGAN9JA, odumchi, EzePromoe, magkhan, Wulfruna, Radoillo, Ishilove, buchichukwu69, Daverytimes, VickyRotex, conyema12, Caracta, Emmayur, tk4rd, uduokirika1, omarhlichanwa, chinnelle, AsanwaKC, Phut, passion007, Chigold101, mildteddy, softwhispers, donbenie, DesChyko, chrisviral, Niwdog, ImperfectMe, IGBOnation, bigfrancis21, Benfaco, nwadiuko1, timsbee, executivegej, Harvard13, Tinyemeka, UjSizzle, christopher123, Optimall, moca, UjSizzle, telexfree1, Luckygurl, Mbkite, DaimlerBen, Ihuomadinihu, vinxce, EzePromoe, e4e5d4d5, odumchi, OdenigboAroli, smartsoft, agabaI23, asadike, Okeikpu, tonychristopher, adorebee, Lilimax, PaulCI, Peppyluv, JustCare, ifyalways, JustCare, toshmann, preselect, oziomatv, skimpychick, OreMI22, Nnewi1stSon, centje, Handsomegod, spyder880, iconize, IGBOSON1, eaglechild, Kcinho, Emperoh, mensdept, frakdon, BuddahMonk, CaptainOjemba, colored, ckenneths, Bishop42, biafrandream, cjrane, tranxo, myhobbies, write2obi, all4naija, osystein, Zonacom, Get2go, FreeGlobe, yellowsun, oneeast, Malawian, InyinyaAgbaOku, BuddahMonk, HappyJoe, chidyhels, asha80, ak47mann, Kagame, Zonacom, Hishuula, Dainfamous, FKO81, ACM10, enochnochi, Schematics, bankson80, Myluv1, MusaIbrahim1, ikoloanambra, Abagworo, investnow2013, rafindo, enochnochi, Igbonazy, chino11, manchy7531, LordNaya, lygn19, XBLadez, B2mario, GreenCap, millionaireman, Ihedioha2015, emmysoftyou, ejiyke2007, Nedu09, lygn19, IGBOSON2, osayuwamwen, ROYALD, RareDiamond, sCun, ejiyke2007, mandax, saintendurance, UnknownT, millionaireman, MI6Surveillance, anitabeauty, Ikwokrikwo, Ahmed4002,ikwerremilitant, hopeathand
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by CVWizards(m): 4:23pm On Apr 21, 2015
Oga Seun, I just sent you a mail. Pls check your box.
Seun:
The culture section is the Igbo language section. Post all your Igbo language threads here.
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by ROYALD(m): 10:32pm On Apr 21, 2015
Igbo kwenu!kwenu!Rie nu! Igbo kwezuonu!!! Indi be anyi Nma Nma nu: Abu m onye Igbo
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Phut(f): 10:16am On Apr 22, 2015
musing2:
Right, I think we can round this off after B2mario's submission. As for people like phut who mentioned Igbo forums or platforms we should make use of, I recommend http://www.igboradio.com/. It's a website I've recently taken to visiting to learn Igbo, and it's open to donations. Anyone with other suggestions please mention them in this thread.

@B2mario, thanks for volunteering to write. By doing so at least we will get to have a different perspective of how a distinct Igbo language section may have been advantageous.
May I have your email address? There is some info I would like to send to you
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Nobody: 2:29pm On Apr 22, 2015
Phut I've replied your pm.
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by VickyRotex(f): 7:15pm On Apr 23, 2015
musing2:
From what I can see Nairaland already has sections which provide spaces for community, such as the Muslim section, which they use to effect projects that actually touch lives. Looking outside Nairaland, other online forums such as Reddit embrace the idea of forming online communities. Going by these two things, that such an online community already exists on Nairaland, and that online communities are very functional and positive concepts, I hope we can form an Igbo or Igbo Language section on Nairaland.

Calling on ezeagu, ChinenyeN, PAGAN9JA, odumchi, EzePromoe, magkhan, Wulfruna, Radoillo, Ishilove, buchichukwu69, Daverytimes, VickyRotex, conyema12, Caracta, Emmayur, tk4rd, uduokirika1, omarhlichanwa, chinnelle, AsanwaKC, Phut, passion007, Chigold101, mildteddy, softwhispers, donbenie, DesChyko, chrisviral, Niwdog, ImperfectMe, IGBOnation, bigfrancis21, Benfaco, nwadiuko1, timsbee, executivegej, Harvard13, Tinyemeka, UjSizzle, christopher123, Optimall, moca, UjSizzle, telexfree1, Luckygurl, Mbkite, DaimlerBen, Ihuomadinihu, vinxce, EzePromoe, e4e5d4d5, odumchi, OdenigboAroli, smartsoft, agabaI23, asadike, Okeikpu, tonychristopher, adorebee, Lilimax, PaulCI, Peppyluv, JustCare, ifyalways, JustCare, toshmann, preselect, oziomatv, skimpychick, OreMI22, Nnewi1stSon, centje, Handsomegod, spyder880, iconize, IGBOSON1, eaglechild, Kcinho, Emperoh, mensdept, frakdon, BuddahMonk, CaptainOjemba, colored, ckenneths, Bishop42, biafrandream, cjrane, tranxo, myhobbies, write2obi, all4naija, osystein, Zonacom, Get2go, FreeGlobe, yellowsun, oneeast, Malawian, InyinyaAgbaOku, BuddahMonk, HappyJoe, chidyhels, asha80, ak47mann, Kagame, Zonacom, Hishuula, Dainfamous, FKO81, ACM10, enochnochi, Schematics, bankson80, Myluv1, MusaIbrahim1, ikoloanambra, Abagworo, investnow2013, rafindo, enochnochi, Igbonazy, chino11, manchy7531, LordNaya, lygn19, XBLadez, B2mario, GreenCap, millionaireman, Ihedioha2015, emmysoftyou, ejiyke2007, Nedu09, lygn19, IGBOSON2, osayuwamwen, ROYALD, RareDiamond, sCun, ejiyke2007, mandax, saintendurance, UnknownT, millionaireman, MI6Surveillance, anitabeauty, Ikwokrikwo, Ahmed4002

Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu !

I have mentioned all of you so that we can discuss as a community to see if we agree that having an Igbo Language section is desirable, and if so, decide on the steps we can take to actualize it. It's worth noting that I painstakingly got your monikers from threads already organized as communities, namely:

Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady by agabaI23
https://www.nairaland.com/19138/igbo-kwenu-kwenu-kwezo-nu

Few Pics From Imo State by PROUDIGBO
https://www.nairaland.com/1054852/few-pics-imo-state

Anambra State Light Of The Nation,economic And Political Power House Of The East by FKO81
https://www.nairaland.com/1930337/anambra-state-light-nationeconomic-political

Enugu, The Pride Of The East by spyder880
https://www.nairaland.com/979128/enugu-pride-east

Order of the thread
-We need volunteers who will argue in favor and those who will argue against an Igbo Language section
-After this introductory post a poll will be set up, which can be used to judge those who are for and those who are against an Igbo language section.
-Another post immediately after that will be left vacant where our decisions and steps to take will be listed, if we agree to move forward with advocating for an Igbo Language section. Also it will be used to indicate when those arguing in favor or against an Igbo language section will be making their submissions.
-If you feel this is a bad idea please kindly state so if you want to, or otherwise hold your peace. I advice that trollers should simply be ignored.
-If you feel this is a good Idea and want to put down steps on how to actualize it, or ideas for how an Igbo language section would be run, please title your suggestion in emboldened letters.
-Finally I am calling on volunteers who will submit arguments in favor of an Igbo Language section, and also on volunteers who will submit arguments opposing the idea.

Till we get volunteers, which hopefully we will have, I advise us all to visit this link: http://www.iiste.org/Journals/index.php/DCS/article/view/2934 , download the article by Ani Kelechi Johnmary and have a read.

I also leave us with an excerpt:

[b]"Igbo people are increasingly engaging in the progressive race towards cultural marginalization and geometric linguistic endangerment. This study is centred on cultural marginalization theory of language. “This frequently happens when indigenous populations, in order to achieve a higher social status, adopt the cultural and linguistic traits of a people who have come to dominate them through colonisation, conquest, or invasion. This is the most common cause of language endangerment” (Austin and Sallabank, 2011). When the people gradually neglect and refuse to promote official and unofficial communication dynamics in their language, consciously or unconsciously, they are culturally marginalizing their language. This is the situation found across the length and breath of the Igbo nation. Unfortunately, some Igbo people have paid with their breath for neglecting their language. Anyaegbuna (2012:30) showed that “following the wanton repetitive killings of Ndigbo in Northern Nigeria, some aggrieved Igbo youths made reprisal attacks on Northerners at Nkpor junction and some other areas. They mounted roadblocks and screened vehicles for Northerners. The basis of screening was the ability to understand and speak Igbo. It was a disaster that a few Igbo youths were killed needlessly, because they either did not understand or could not speak Igbo fluently; they were mistaken for Northerners seeking camouflage”. What a bad scenario that calls for Igbo revival. The Igbo language revival scholars must therefore arise in the “race against time” (Krauss, 2007) towards the revival of our language. Revising of Igbo “language and culture shift” (Fishman, 1991) needs patriotic attention and urgency. This could be attained through the cultural revival of the Igbo ethno linguistic vitality (Ehala, 2009), if all and sundry within the Igbo nation and beyond can gradually and progressively reduce their high level of social violence against the language."[/b]

Finally, i'd like to give an example of a language, Cornish, which has been revived and has gone from labeled as extinct to being officially recognized as a minority language in the UK. So it's possible to revive a language and to bring it to prominence. I believe that as a people we can bring Igbo language to prominence, and I believe it starts with little things like an Igbo language section. This is important to me because I can't speak enough Igbo to sustain a one minute discussion because of the reasons mentioned in Ani Kelechi's article and I consider this a shame. I plan to learn in the East by serving in the NYSC there but before then a thriving Igbo community online seems like a good place to start.

Nice thread. cheesy

But I ain't Igbo tho. sad

I'm omo yoruba. grin

Willing to learn Igbo...

Proudly Naija kiss

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Obobanyi Of Ohionwa (ihima) Kogi State Is World’s Oldest Monarch / Handmade Palm Kernel Oil For Sale / What Is Agemo? The Jebusites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.