Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,033 members, 7,807,065 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:09 AM

Need Advice On Car To Buy - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Need Advice On Car To Buy (4749 Views)

5 Ways Nigerians Can Save Money On Car Repairs / The First Car To Ever Get A Speed Ticket Was Caught Doing 8MPH / 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Need Advice On Car To Buy by Adeyeyeaki(m): 4:57pm On Apr 19, 2015
Please am an average salary earner and l need a car for me, my wife and my two little kids.
I need a car between 400 and 600 all necessary and valid papers inclusive.
I never know how to drive. A car that a learner can maintain that won't chop my money.
I had been thinking on it seriously but l don't know anything about cars at all.
I stay in Agbara but work in Oshodi. The car that won't disappoint me anytime l want to travel from Agbara to Ibadan. Thanks
Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by Nobody: 5:23pm On Apr 19, 2015
Naija used Mercedes c180 w202..manual transmission.... One without airflow meter .... Cheap to maintain
Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by starlingbawa(m): 5:40pm On Apr 19, 2015
Try and raise the bar a bit and go get yourself a Toyota Camry, 99 Model Aka (Tiny Light).

It's cheap to maintain, rugged and won't give you any troubles.

That should do it for you...

2 Likes

Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by Nobody: 5:52pm On Apr 19, 2015
Camry 99 where a w202 is talking?.... Hmmm okay o. Is it the stability... Ruggedity ....fuel economy of the w202 C180 manual tranny? Or the seemingly untouchable shocks.... The bullet proof engine... The cool interior? I can go on and on...... Camry pencil is such a soulless car that increases the owner's age by more than a decade!

1 Like

Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by DGD1(m): 6:52pm On Apr 19, 2015
for that price, you can get a clean golf 3(manual) or Toyota Carina E(auto/manual).
the point am not sure is where you where you are saying you don't want it chop your money, bros....you will fuel, oil change, some other things that will require money.
IMO if you don't neglect the car by giving it what it needs, it will not disappoint you.
GoodLuck
Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by Nobody: 7:58pm On Apr 19, 2015
Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by chidooh1: 8:19pm On Apr 19, 2015
SmartChoices:
Naija used Mercedes c180 w202..manual transmission.... One without airflow meter .... Cheap to maintain
is ur benz still available?
Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by Adeyeyeaki(m): 10:25pm On Apr 20, 2015
@ all, thanks OGD1, what I mean is that l want to b penny wise.
Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by nurey(m): 11:26pm On Apr 20, 2015
Before you guys start recommending cars, you have to know the area the op stays, agbara estate is very very far from oshodi not to talk of the hectic traffic the op is going to pass through, also the roads are filled with almighty port-holes, please a V6 is out of the question the last time I went there, without heavy traffic I used close to 3k fuel to and fro (ikoyi to agbara) I think ikoyi to oshodi is not more than 15km and no traffic.

I would have suggested a micra or picanto but the way those danfo for lasu go challenge you, u will regret buying that car.

The op needs a car known for reliability, also that area has been tagged as robbers den so a car that is not a robber magnet, a car with good ground clearance should be of utmost importance and most of all cheap maintenance cause of the stress shocks and springs will go through.

Toyota previa 1st generation
Mazda mpv 1999
Mitsubishi space bus first gen

My own suggestion

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by Nobody: 12:45am On Apr 21, 2015
SmartChoices:
Camry 99 where a w202 is talking?.... Hmmm okay o. Is it the stability... Ruggedity ....fuel economy of the w202 C180 manual tranny? Or the seemingly untouchable shocks.... The bullet proof engine... The cool interior? I can go on and on...... Camry pencil is such a soulless car that increases the owner's age by more than a decade!

Maybe, but is a bette car for OPs needs right now than the Benzo.

When he has cut his automobile teeth then he can start dabbling with Benz.

OP find yourself the best Honda Accord, Mazda 626, Nissan Maxima, Toyota Camry that you can afford. You're not ready for german cars. Trust me.
Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by Nobody: 6:51am On Apr 21, 2015
CityNG:

Maybe, but is a bette car for OPs needs right now than the Benzo.

When he has cut his automobile teeth then he can start dabbling with Benz.

OP find yourself the best Honda Accord, Mazda 626, Nissan Maxima, Toyota Camry that you can afford. You're not ready for german cars. Trust me.
Well from your list only the Camry can give the op any form of peace followed by the Mazda others will only make him a mechanic apprentice... But the Nissan maxima will definitely make him a rewire's apprentice.... While the Honda is notorious for ball joint pull outs may land him in soup in Lagos!

Cc DGD1

1 Like

Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by Nobody: 6:51am On Apr 21, 2015
chidooh1:
is ur benz still available?
Which one?
Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by Nobody: 6:57am On Apr 21, 2015
nurey:
Before you guys start recommending cars, you have to know the area the op stays, agbara estate is very very far from oshodi not to talk of the hectic traffic the op is going to pass through, also the roads are filled with almighty port-holes, please a V6 is out of the question the last time I went there, without heavy traffic I used close to 3k fuel to and fro (ikoyi to agbara) I think ikoyi to oshodi is not more than 15km and no traffic.

I would have suggested a micra or picanto but the way those danfo for lasu go challenge you, u will regret buying that car.

The op needs a car known for reliability, also that area has been tagged as robbers den so a car that is not a robber magnet, a car with good ground clearance should be of utmost importance and most of all cheap maintenance cause of the stress shocks and springs will go through.

Toyota previa 1st generation
Mazda mpv 1999
Mitsubishi space bus first gen

My own suggestion
A robbers den! No to the Camry!... Rough roads... No to Honda either accord or discord.... Distance. And holdups a car with good fuel economy n rugged to take charge of the road...
Golf 3 1.8L engine seems ideal! In fact your money will get a super clean toks and the mechanics are everywhere...the parts r also cheap...
Previa not easy to work on due to engine location

1 Like

Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by flagship(m): 7:35am On Apr 21, 2015
SmartChoices:

A robbers den! No to the Camry!... Rough roads... No to Honda either accord or discord.... Distance. And holdups a car with good fuel economy n rugged to take charge of the road...
Golf 3 1.8L engine seems ideal! In fact your money will get a super clean toks and the mechanics are everywhere...the parts r also cheap...

Are there mechanics everywhere for the golf 4?
Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by nurey(m): 8:57am On Apr 21, 2015
SmartChoices:

I chose the previa more due to ground clearance and a 4 cylinder engine, besides its rugged but just slow in acceleration, when I did that road last, it was in a 1st generation sienna, the swerving I did on that road, u did think I was doing head2head with the car and the passengers were just complaining cause you just can't escape all the scattered potholes on that road. Before buying a car, ground clearance is of utmost importance to me cause some areas on mainland can seriously damage ur exhaust or oil pan.
Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by Nobody: 9:15am On Apr 21, 2015
flagship:

Are there mechanics everywhere for the golf 4?
On your own
Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by Nobody: 10:23am On Apr 21, 2015
SmartChoices:

Well from your list only the Camry can give the op any form of peace followed by the Mazda others will only make him a mechanic apprentice... But the Nissan maxima will definitely make him a rewire's apprentice.... While the Honda is notorious for ball joint pull outs may land him in soup in Lagos!

Your opinion.

All those vehicles are comparable over here with no issues. But then owning any car requires preventive maintenance.
Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by Nobody: 11:25am On Apr 21, 2015
CityNG:

Your opinion.

All those vehicles are comparable over here with no issues. But then owning any car requires preventive maintenance.

Not my opinion... But the reality on ground here...in a clime like yours it will be a delight using a Honda n Nissan ....but not here n not for a newbie..more so since his way is a den of robbers even the Camry has to give way!
Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by Nobody: 11:29am On Apr 21, 2015
SmartChoices:

Not my opinion... But the reality on ground here...in a clime like yours it will be a delight using a Honda n Nissan ....but not here n not for a newbie..more so since his way is a den of robbers even the Camry has to give way!

Still your opinion.

I saw all these cars in Ibadan.
Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by Nobody: 11:30am On Apr 21, 2015
CityNG:

Still your opinion.

I saw all these cars in Ibadan.
Big potholes n Honda you call my opinion! OK....
Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by Nobody: 11:34am On Apr 21, 2015
SmartChoices:

Big potholes n Honda you call my opinion! OK....

Yep...your opinion which has nothing to do with my validated reality of seeing first hand these cars being used successfully by friends and family.

Next time state your opinion without attempting to ridicule mine. You didn't have to quote me.
Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by Nobody: 11:37am On Apr 21, 2015
CityNG:

Yep...your opinion which has nothing to do with my validated reality of seeing first hand these cars bring used successfully by friends and family.

Next time state your opinion without attempting to ridicule mine. You didn't have to quote me.

No time...try not quoting me again or else I wouldn't have noticed you.....#ignored
Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by Nobody: 11:40am On Apr 21, 2015
SmartChoices:

No time...try not quoting me again or else I wouldn't have noticed you.....#ignored

You actually quoted me first, you're a non entity. I responded directly to OP.

#Inconsequental
Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by Nobody: 11:41am On Apr 21, 2015
Op let's hear from you o
Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by DGD1(m): 7:00pm On Apr 21, 2015
Adeyeyeaki:
@ all, thanks OGD1, what I mean is that l want to b penny wise.

mr. what I mean is this:
you a newbie, will have to hang *L* batch for a few months, then Golf 3 is not a strange car to our mechanics, the parts are readily available. like wise the Toyota Carina E, there are other cars in the range but can certify this two.
I don't think you will want kazeem tamper with your Benz or other big cars mentioned above, frustration will set in.
IMO which maxima or Benz etc mentioned will go for that price range the op is having? save its Nigeria used, common let's help a brother here.
the golf or Carina e won't b your last, just your 1st, you can buy a benz, audi, bmw or aLexus next (you and lomomike will be in the same club).
Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by Adeyeyeaki(m): 8:01pm On Apr 21, 2015
I really appreciate your contributions and taking from your wealth of experience. Tho at a stage I got I mean confused cos am just new in car land but I try to narrow the ideas down to Golf 3 1.8l, Honda and Nissan.
For Honda, does it mean any model will do?
For Nissan, I try to make inquiry and some guys told me that Priemeria or Almeria will do.
I dont want to rush so as not to make a mistake. Am taking my time. Whats the advantages and dis advantages of these there cars?
Thanks for your time you take in putting me through.
Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by chidooh1: 10:33pm On Apr 21, 2015
SmartChoices:

Which one?
C 180
Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by Nobody: 5:01am On Apr 22, 2015
chidooh1:
C 180
Sold!
Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by Adeyeyeaki(m): 8:08am On Apr 22, 2015
You people as so great! DGD1, you are a mentor!
So happy to have you people here.
Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by DGD1(m): 12:47pm On Apr 22, 2015
mr Adeyeyeaki, na God o, my ogas am learning from are much here o.
by the way we have good mechanics in the house who can assist in inspecting the car before purchase, I don't want to mention names so that some won't feel slighted, you can read through other threads and you see for yourself.
am not a mechanic, am just a car enthusiast.
Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by chidooh1: 1:04pm On Apr 22, 2015
SmartChoices:

Sold!
Pls, do u have any reliable Nigerian used car, brand name doesn't matter much so far the ride is clean and parts available
Re: Need Advice On Car To Buy by LKO(m): 5:38pm On Apr 22, 2015
SmartChoices:

Sir, I also intend getting a clean golf 3. 1.8L as a first car because I was told its cheap to maintain. But experts have been warning me to stay clear of VW as a first car because I would regret it. They claim our mechanics can't work on the golf 3, they instead appeal to me to get a 2000 toyota carina E or a 2000 toyota avensis. But I still prefer the golf 3 because it looks firmer on the road. I need your suggestion please.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please Recommend The Best Car / High Quality Car Spray Needed In Abuja / Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.