Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,963 members, 7,806,787 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:06 AM

Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? (25331 Views)

Zimbabwean Woman Married To Another Woman For 3 Years Just Found Out (pic) / No Girl Should Be Married Before 17 –aisha Buhari / 10 Signs The Man Wooing You Has Another Woman/ May Be Married (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Ewuro4: 8:56pm On Apr 20, 2015
klark3:

Lolz... d comment tire u? Na just persiflage...

That's a relief. wink
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Apr 20, 2015
klark3:

Lolz... d comment tire u? Na just persiflage...
I guess you are still hurt because of the sack letter your female boss gave you. grin

2 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by cococandy(f): 1:47am On Apr 21, 2015
FrancisTony:
I think it's only on internet e.g Nairaland family section that marriage is over-rated.

For example; Genevieve is unmarried and only on cyberspace that men and women will insult her about her marital status.
In the real world, they won't have an effrontery to confront her but will lick her feet instead of that married Mama Nkechi or Tolu with seven kids waiting for her husband to provide everything.

Thank God internet has given some Nigerian an avenue to portray their chauvinistic tendency they can't do offline infront of an accomplished lady.
Apt

5 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by klark3: 8:08am On Apr 21, 2015
FrancisTony:

I guess you are still hurt because of the sack letter your female boss gave you. grin
Lolzzz.. U're very funny.. cheesy
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by TV01(m): 9:41am On Apr 21, 2015
mutter:
Every where in the world a woman has more respec when she is married.
This aso goes for men- They have more respect when they are married.

In Nigeria a man also has more respect when he is married. A family man is seen as more responsible and more maure.
This is also so in the western world.

Some things never change!
Well said Mutter.

Getting married indicates - or certainly should - a willingness to take on a greater responsibility to others and a larger stake/role in society. Society acknowledges that action by according you a different type of, or more respect. And so it should.

No one is forced into marriage, and everyone is free too make the lifestyle choices they prefer. Marriage is rated exactly as it should be - as pivotal. It's society' basal building block/institution, and best framework for passing on heritage, traditions, securing legacies and raising the next generation. All the howling by those who don't get that - or childishly demand that their choices be accorded the same respect will not change a thing - thankfully cool.

TVMIC

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by bukatyne(f): 1:47pm On Apr 21, 2015
mutter:

In Nigeria a man also has more respect when he is married. A family man is seen as more responsible and more maure.

I agree with you however, I do not think a woman needs marriage to be respected.

She might get 'more' respect married

It also depends on what the woman is respected for.

On a lighter note: a friend was telling me that people started calling him for business after marriage because he was now responsible and traceable grin

5 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by mutter(f): 2:01pm On Apr 21, 2015
FrancisTony:
I think it's only on internet e.g Nairaland family section that marriage is over-rated.

For example; Genevieve is unmarried and only on cyberspace that men and women will insult her about her marital status.
In the real world, they won't have an effrontery to confront her but will lick her feet instead of that married Mama Nkechi or Tolu with seven kids waiting for her husband to provide everything.

Thank God internet has given some Nigerian an avenue to portray their chauvinistic tendency they can't do offline infront of an accomplished lady.

This is not entirely correct.
Genevive may be admired and respected for her fame and also her achievements- I have great respect for her to.
However an unmarried person lacks many qualities that married people have and are respected for.
Also a woman without a child lacks many qualities a mother has. That s because marriage , motherhood and fatherhood have an impact on you.
Attend your child`s school as a single mother, you notice the difference

3 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Nobody: 2:05pm On Apr 21, 2015
mutter:

This is not entirely correct.
Genevive may be admired and respected for her fame and also her achievements- I have great respect for her to.
However an unmarried person lacks many qualities that married people have and are respected for.
Also a woman without a child lacks many qualities a mother has. That s because marriage , motherhood and fatherhood have an impact on you.
Attend your child`s school as a single mother, you notice the difference
I don't know any respect awarded specially to married women. Maybe, you can help me with one.

I know a rich single woman who attend her child school occasions and no one disrespects her.

By the way, I'm not a female--single mother.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by mutter(f): 2:16pm On Apr 21, 2015
FrancisTony:

I don't know any respect awarded specially to married women. Maybe, you can help me with one.

I know a rich single woman who attend her child school occasions and no one disrespects her.

By the way, I'm not a female--single mother.
No one disrespects a singles mother in the school. Everyone is worthy of respect. However the fact that the mother is not married has an impact on the child. As soon as the child has problems the teachers will assume it is because the child is growing up in a single home. No matter how much the single mother puts in she is at a disadvantage here.
The same goes for married women. They are given more respect. To assess this you have to keep all other variables at a constant.
Would a married Genevieve not be more respected than an unmarried one.
Would a married president not be respected more than an unmarried one?
When you stand in front of a judge, you get treated and accessed differently if you are married. Same goes for children who commit offences. When they come from a broken/ single home it has an impact on the case.
Everywhere in the world marriage give you a boost in respect. This is a simple fact.

6 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Apr 21, 2015
^^^
Really?
That's your opinion.
I think everyone is free to think whatever they want about the kids.
What I know is that an accomplished woman will still receive a respect not because she's married but what she has achieved.

16 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by mutter(f): 2:26pm On Apr 21, 2015
Not my opinion but a fact! Maybe we have some teachers here and others in other related professions who can testify to this.

2 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Nobody: 2:34pm On Apr 21, 2015
Where I grew up, people mind their business.
No one cares if you are married or not.
Worth his/her respect and it would be awarded to you.
Maybe your environment differs.

In my opinion, even respect itself is over-rated just like marriage.

20 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by sunshineo: 6:12pm On Apr 21, 2015
klark3:
Yes...

Nature made it so, a man can remain single & still earn respect, but a woman will be disregarded & unfulfilled... Have u ever asked urself why a woman answers d man's name after marriage.... Because a woman's crown is her husband, they are glorified slaves, they were gotten from just one rib of a man, yet u see dem dragging territories with men...

adam had already been surviving without eve, & would have continued to survive without her... But eve wouldn't have survived a day without adam.

No husband = no respect..

Most unmarried women are whores, dey have no self respect, & no sane man is willing to condone their nasty attitude. If u're a lady, single & u're above 30, sorry for u. But a man can be single & above 60, he will still earn respect...

Thank God am a man, not a glorified slave(woman)...
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by sunshineo: 6:17pm On Apr 21, 2015
Kiark3...........u must me foolish son from a foollish woman. I believe if u had been trained you well, you won't come here and spit out trash. Calling women slaves, u really need help.

5 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by sunshineo: 6:19pm On Apr 21, 2015
Kiark3...........u must be a foolish son from a foollish woman. I believe if u had been trained you well, you won't come here and spit out trash. Calling women slaves, u really need help.
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Apex32: 9:48pm On Apr 21, 2015
Capital NO, wen u ar doing well in terms of ur job nd ur carriage respect will come naturally

3 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Emmahunk(m): 9:49pm On Apr 21, 2015
Respect is earned not bought or acquired. Neither by marriage nor anything else

10 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by ogawisdom(m): 9:49pm On Apr 21, 2015
Yes dts y God created them jst for a man, if no man finds u good enough for marriage na bad market b dt cheesy

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by marieolae(f): 9:49pm On Apr 21, 2015
applause
FrancisTony:

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Apr 21, 2015
Cutehector:
I believ respect comes from character, fame and wealth. If a woman has these, den she doesn't need to answr mrs to earn respect frm people
There's something about a woman who has a real man on her side. That earns more respect from me than fame and money.

#TrustMe

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by BlackGirlsCode: 9:54pm On Apr 21, 2015
In Nigeria, yes.

In developed world, No.

4 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Apr 21, 2015
the answer is simple -> NO

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Bibol(f): 9:56pm On Apr 21, 2015
mutter:

Madam this your generalization is, permit me to say, very wrong. I know you believe so much in marriage, so do I. But to say in the western world, people respect married folks more than the single ones, that is incorrect. Westernized folks are more concerned about things like paying your bills and being independent than marrying and raising a family. Why do you think they sign a prenup before marriage?
A lot of them are now adopting babies or keeping pets to kill the boredom in their lives, and yet people respect them in their society to the fullest. In a lot of African countries, Yes, respect for a woman is attached to her marital status, it's the way our society has been structured and that may not change in 200 years. All these oyinbo people are not like us. This does not erase the fact that marriage is a good and honorable institution but people should be respected firstly, because they are humans and then for the value they add to the society.

14 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by okotv(m): 9:57pm On Apr 21, 2015
In some cases it does. Jonathan's wife is a classic example. If she wasn't married to him, her level of respect will be low but because she is married to him, she has much respect

2 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by xynerise: 9:58pm On Apr 21, 2015
It depends on which perspective you are looking at it.

A woman from the city earns her respect after an achievement(s). Your productivity and contribution to the society can earn you respect.

Traditionally, a woman who is yet to be married is not yet a woman and she is sometimes not invited or called upon in serious issues. A single woman at 30 gets pressurized to get married and when she is married, they welcome her as a "Woman"

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Apr 21, 2015
FrancisTony:

Bro, this is a big fat lie.

Seems like you don't know Nigerians. They can kiss your ass when you're there but will absolutely gossip or talk ill off you when you turn your back.
The Genevieve you sited as an example would absolutely love to get married if you met the perfect person. Perhaps she wouldn't have acquired so much wealth if not for certain surreptitious relationships.
I'm sure she too knows she has sacrificed a lot to gain what she has. Too bad she can't get a husband off the shelf with her money.

I've personally met with a popular celeb who is divorced. Trust me when I tell you people pointed at he ex hubby as the root cause of her predicament as soon as I stepped out of our meeting point. Now tell me how bad can that be. It's something like a label she'll carry all her life.

Bro! You just don't know until you step in a woman's shoe. Nothing like having a big happy family accompanied with fame and fortune.

3 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Layonle(f): 9:59pm On Apr 21, 2015
emirp:
why did u say No
respect z neva measured wit martial status

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Layonle(f): 10:03pm On Apr 21, 2015
emirp:
why did u say No
marieolae:
applause
emirp:
why did u say No
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Nobody: 10:03pm On Apr 21, 2015
Op I want to hear ur own views first b4 I commentt
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by oathman(m): 10:08pm On Apr 21, 2015
if you are looking for the worst questions in the world come to nairaland.... and if u are also looking for the worst topic in the world come to nairaland undecided

4 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Eyepencil: 10:13pm On Apr 21, 2015
Is expected to show some level of respect to married ladies irrespective of her social class or status. But that's not applicable to unmarried ladies unless you are extremely wealthy. If na normal girl na hand i go pinch am for mouth sef! grin grin
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by ireneidiva(f): 10:13pm On Apr 21, 2015
oathman:
if you are looking for the worst questions in the world come to nairaland.... and if u are also looking for the worst topic in the world come to nairaland undecided
Seconded

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Help! My Marriage Is Giving Me Pain. / Wives and Intending Wives, Do you Love Guys Who Can Cook Very Well? / Man Who Married 2 Wives In Order To Have A Male Child Now Has 6 Daughters. Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.