Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,098 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:05 PM

Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? (25332 Views)

Zimbabwean Woman Married To Another Woman For 3 Years Just Found Out (pic) / No Girl Should Be Married Before 17 –aisha Buhari / 10 Signs The Man Wooing You Has Another Woman/ May Be Married (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Onyiridike(f): 10:14pm On Apr 21, 2015
Yes!

Reasons:

1. Human race will go into extinction if every lady decides to chase degerees and careers and refuse to marry.

2. Any child outside wedlock is a bastard and this stigma will always affect him/her psychologically.

3. A child raised by a single parent is always incomplete. He/she needs to be groomed into a man or a woman by the father also.

4. An unmarried lady is always seen as a prostitute even if she is the richest person in the world. Of course, she sleeps with different men for money or mere sexual gratification. Who respects such a woman?

5. God instituted marriage for a purpose. If you choose to remain single for the sake of the kingdom of God, fine. However, if it is otherwise, i.e. you deliberately refuse to marry, it is a sin.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Nobody: 10:17pm On Apr 21, 2015
A beg any body get N50 change here?

Not my business!!!

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Eyepencil: 10:17pm On Apr 21, 2015
okotv:
In some cases it does. Jonathan's wife is a classic example. If she wasn't married to him, her level of respect will be low but because she is married to him, she has much respect
Oga must you bring Jonathan here? Dem use Jonathan swear for you?
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by lezz(m): 10:22pm On Apr 21, 2015
IF SHE AIN'T A NUN, THEN PEOPLE ARE GIONG TO TALK..
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by okotv(m): 10:23pm On Apr 21, 2015
Eyepencil:
Oga must you bring Jonathan here? Dem use Jonathan swear for you?
Do you understand analogy

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by princechurchill(m): 10:26pm On Apr 21, 2015
the pride of a woman is in her husband's name kindly ask your mother,any woman that has no husband even when it is due is simply seen as a..................

2 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Vivipop(f): 10:26pm On Apr 21, 2015
Must a woman be married to earn/get Respect? The answer is a big NO. A change in one's marrital status does not in any way buy one Respect. It comes with one's worth, achievements and prestige. Making oneself productive and more of an asset than a liability brings Respect, marriage is just an additional spice and it's inconsequential when it comes to been respected in the society. My humble opinion.

7 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Eyepencil: 10:31pm On Apr 21, 2015
okotv:
Do you understand analogy
I hear you, like say u no carry something for mind b4 u talk am.
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Nobody: 10:32pm On Apr 21, 2015
If you are 30+ and not yet married, everyone calls you a prostitude, many dude like smokers, drunkards, old men, small boys, stupid boys will be coming around to finish work(sex) for your body because they knew ure single.

marital status matters alot here in 9ja no matter how rich ure. Thats why 35+ single ladies no the carry church play.

2 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Nobody: 10:33pm On Apr 21, 2015
klark3:
Yes...

Nature made it so, a man can remain single & still earn respect, but a woman will be disregarded & unfulfilled... Have u ever asked urself why a woman answers d man's name after marriage.... Because a woman's crown is her husband, they are glorified slaves, they were gotten from just one rib of a man, yet u see dem dragging territories with men...

adam had already been surviving without eve, & would have continued to survive without her... But eve wouldn't have survived a day without adam.

No husband = no respect..

Most unmarried women are whores, dey have no self respect, & no sane man is willing to condone their nasty attitude. If u're a lady, single & u're above 30, sorry for u. But a man can be single & above 60, he will still earn respect...

Thank God am a man, not a glorified slave(woman)...
speechless.
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Nobody: 10:34pm On Apr 21, 2015
Well I don't give a fvk if a woman is married or not

And I also don't give a fvk if she is rich/famous or a first lady...

I can see some females already use oprah winfrey or wifi to justifies why an unmarried woman is more respected...

I don't give a fvk about wifi,I don't respect, will never do not until she gives me a reason to..for you to gain my respect there has to be more to your story,more than what the physical eye can see...

I for example respect omotola alots,not because she is married,but because of the story behind her marriage which I see as extraordinary...

You you cannot come here and start telling me to respect ini edo the same way I respect omotola, ini edo is rich and famous,but I don't see any reason why I should respect her because of her fame and riches...

So also is angelina jolie and ophrah, they are both rich and famous,jolie is married,I respect her a lot,not because of her marriage,but because of the little things/ ways she show love to people and orphan...

Ophrah winfrey or wifi can fvking go ahead and shove her fame and richies up her throat
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Layonle(f): 10:35pm On Apr 21, 2015
FrancisTony:

I think Village settings is going extinct except a lady born and bred in the village.
In urban Nigeria settings, societies mind their business.
true talk
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by okotv(m): 10:36pm On Apr 21, 2015
Eyepencil:
I hear you, like say u no carry something for mind b4 u talk am.
Go through my over 2000 posts on Nairaland and anyone with cuss words or vulgar languages attached, you can quote and draw my attention to them. I don't hate or cuss, why should I
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Johnsinia(m): 10:36pm On Apr 21, 2015
Once you are married you don't ve to struggle for respect; rich or poor. Everybody, sectors and institutions accord you the respect, especially when you ve a child. For example, you will agree with me that you can't play some certain play with a married woman as you would do with the single ladies, why? Because you think she desearve some respect right. Also, the husband and the society as a whole expect you to treat her with respect. If you want to know how the society respect a married woman cross her way, she will simply take her marital status to her advantage to deal with you. There are so much respect a married woman enjoy a single lady, if she like let her has the whole world won't enjoy until she got married and probably has a child. For instance, just last sunday, the whole world celebrate the mothers day including your so called western countries. There is virtues and so much respect, rest of mind and accomplishment as a woman while married that your fame and wealth can't give you while unmarried.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by NobleG1(m): 10:37pm On Apr 21, 2015
emirp:
QUESTION: MUST A WOMAN GET MARRIED TO GAIN RESPECT?

Oya, let's get everyone's thoughts................

I'm listening!!!

A woman must NOT be married to gain respect! Unfortunately, in a barbaric and sexist Country like Nigeria, this matters.

A broke a*ss man who's an illiterate, unemployed and unmarried commands more respect in Nigeria than a well educated woman who's employed, simply because she's single. That's the sick mentality of Nigerians.

Everyone deserves respect irrespective of the person's marital status, gender and social class. But most Nigerian men have 1850 mentality, which makes it hard for change to come.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Layonle(f): 10:38pm On Apr 21, 2015
FrancisTony:
I think it's only on internet e.g Nairaland family section that marriage is over-rated.

For example; Genevieve is unmarried and only on cyberspace that men and women will insult her about her marital status.
In the real world, they won't have an effrontery to confront her but will lick her feet instead of that married Mama Nkechi or Tolu with seven kids waiting for her husband to provide everything.

Thank God internet has given some Nigerian an avenue to portray their chauvinistic tendency they can't do offline infront of an accomplished lady.
u r so on point___respect ur opinion n mentality unlyk some ppl still leaving in d dark century

5 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Onyiridike(f): 10:38pm On Apr 21, 2015
Vivipop:
Must a woman be married to earn/get Respect? The answer is a big NO. A change in one's marrital status does not in any way buy one Respect. It comes with one's worth, achievements and prestige. Making oneself productive and more of an asset than a liability brings Respect, marriage is just an additional spice and it's inconsequential when it comes to been respected in the society. My humble opinion.

Don't mistake syncomphancy for respect. People praise Genevieve for beauty and achievements but she doesn't have a say in Mbaise where she comes from.

Even her daughter is a bastard. Don't allow anybody to deceive you. Once you get old without a husband, people will praise you for your money and education but call you a prostitute at your back.

It is a different story if no man loves you.

3 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Layonle(f): 10:38pm On Apr 21, 2015
FrancisTony:
I think it's only on internet e.g Nairaland family section that marriage is over-rated.

For example; Genevieve is unmarried and only on cyberspace that men and women will insult her about her marital status.
In the real world, they won't have an effrontery to confront her but will lick her feet instead of that married Mama Nkechi or Tolu with seven kids waiting for her husband to provide everything.

Thank God internet has given some Nigerian an avenue to portray their chauvinistic tendency they can't do offline infront of an accomplished lady.
u r so on point___respect ur opinion n mentality unlyk some ppl still living in d dark century

2 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by lezz(m): 10:41pm On Apr 21, 2015
Onyiridike:
Yes!

Reasons:

1. Human race will go into extinction if every lady decides to chase degerees and careers and refuse to marry.

2. Any child outside wedlock is a bastard and this stigma will always affect him/her psychologically.

3. A child raised by a single parent is always incomplete. He/she needs to be groomed into a man or a woman by the father also.

4. An unmarried lady is always seen as a prostitute even if she is the richest person in the world. Of course, she sleeps with different men for money or mere sexual gratification. Who respects such a woman?

5. God instituted marriage for a purpose. If you choose to remain single for the sake of the kingdom of God, fine. However, if it is otherwise, i.e. you deliberately refuse to marry, it is a sin.
You couldnt have said it any better. well thought out..
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by ekiloui(f): 10:42pm On Apr 21, 2015
mutter:
Not my opinion but a fact! Maybe we have some teachers here and others in other related professions who can testify to this.

All I can say to you is "Francistony" is totally right.

Intellegence and wisdom at it's peak.

To the OP...your accomplishments and attitude earn you respect and not your marital status.

Who would earn your respect 1st.

1.) A lousy married woman without "self-respect, who goes about fighting the neighbours.

2.) A business woman who pays her own bills, and has a great attitude.

The whole marriage thing is over-rated and contrary to some believes "only in this part of the world"

Personally, I do not care if you're married or not (that's not my biz) my respect is earned and not dashed

7 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Eyepencil: 10:45pm On Apr 21, 2015
okotv:
Go through my over 2000 posts on Nairaland and anyone with cuss words or vulgar languages attached, you can quote and draw my attention to them. I don't hate or cuss, why should I
I believe you sha! but u use style wicked o grin grin i should go through ur over 2000 post
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by onyfrank: 10:49pm On Apr 21, 2015
lets bring it home. Lets 4get how outsiders sees her. Charity begins at home.
so, how would her parents sees her? How would her siblings see her? O boy, them go dey yab her anyhow, whether she respect herself or not. 'my friend go and marry.'
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by okotv(m): 10:51pm On Apr 21, 2015
Eyepencil:
I believe you sha! but u use style wicked o grin grin i should go through ur over 2000 post
yes nah... after all na you use your hand find trouble ....

kudos bro. Incase you don't know, am also from the ND

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by An0nimus: 10:55pm On Apr 21, 2015
ekiloui:

All I can say to you is "Francistony" is totally right.

Intellegence and wisdom at it's peak.

To the OP...your accomplishments and attitude earn you respect and not your marital status.

Who would earn your respect 1st.

1.) A lousy married woman without "self-respect, who goes about fighting the neighbours.

2.) A business woman who pays her own bills, and has a great attitude.

The whole marriage thing is over-rated and contrary to some believes "only in this part of the world"

Personally, I do not care if you're married or not (that's not my biz) my respect is earned and not dashed
Let's put it this way...
who would earn your respect first

1. A married business woman who helps with bills and has a great attitude.

2. A business woman who pays her own bills, and has a great attitude.

2 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Fredzy7(m): 10:55pm On Apr 21, 2015
Why do you think Beyonce is the most respected female musician in the world, because she is successful and married and to crown it all she is a mother, so yes Africa or no Africa married women are more respected, just that marital status earns you some respect and it goes both ways too but it works more on women

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by ekiloui(f): 10:55pm On Apr 21, 2015
Onyiridike:

Don't mistake syncomphancy for respect. People praise Genevieve for beauty and achievements but she doesn't have a say in Mbaise where she comes from.

Even her daughter is a bastard. Don't allow anybody to deceive you. Once you get old without a husband, people will praise you for your money and education but call you a prostitute at your back.

Is marriage by force? Why have you Nigerians made it a do or die affair?

How many of your so called married people are happily married or even really married. This is why we now have high divorce rate and even death rate..wives and husbands killing each other! Simply because they got married to earn societal respect.

Once a girl turns 25 they'll start disturbing her to bring a man home, she'll find the 1st guy she can get without bothering about his attitude and get married to him..after gaining the respect of the society, what next?

She finds herself in a broken home..maybe being maltreated or cheated on by her husband..she wants to leave but thinks of the society. She finally leaves and the same society judges her. (All for respect).

May I never get married for that reason. If I find a good man that suits me fine and if I don't I'd rather be happily single than ruin my life for a society that is only there to jugde.

14 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by vicky4227(m): 10:59pm On Apr 21, 2015
emirp:
QUESTION: MUST A WOMAN GET MARRIED TO GAIN RESPECT?

Oya, let's get everyone's thoughts................

I'm listening!!!

[img]http://ionehellobeautiful.files./2010/04/87643213.jpg[/img]

I think i have the perfect answer to this question.
Allow me quote this article:

In a western society, marriage has nothing to do with the level of respect a woman gets. The level of civilization in western countries has developed to an extent that soon getting marriage will be seen as weird.

Some people don’t even believe in marriage as it is seen as two individuals co-existing together and can separate whenever they feel like it.

Now coming down to an African setting and societal culture where marital institution still has value, getting married can indeed increase your respect and how you are perceived. This will come at a time when you are perceived to as supposed to be married.

This is just a short part of the article and it answers this question in a nice little way and you can read the whole article here:

http://forum.ejikeinfo.com/showthread.php?tid=235

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by ekiloui(f): 11:00pm On Apr 21, 2015
An0nimus:

Let's put it this way...
who would earn your respect first

1. A married business woman who helps with bills and has a great attitude.

2. A business woman who pays her own bills, and has a great attitude.

The post is about married women receiving respect regardless of their attitude. My question is more appropriate...you can answer it rather than "fine tune it to your taste"

2 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Vivipop(f): 11:05pm On Apr 21, 2015
Onyiridike:

Sweetheart! The sooner you stopped thinking about what people might say about you and focus on what you deem right, the longer and happier your life will become. When have people ever stopped talking behind people's back?. I wonder what you mean when you said Genevieve does not have a say in Mbaise, do you expect her to start holding Kindred meetings or titles before you know she's respected? Anyways, someone rightly pointed out that Respect in itself is highly overrated and i think he's right. I still maintain that one's marital status(man/woman) does not buy one Respect. Ogwula m n'onu...

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by kalufelix(m): 11:06pm On Apr 21, 2015
mutter:
Every where in the world a woman has more respec when she is married.
This aso goes for men- They have more respect when they are married.

In Nigeria a man also has more respect when he is married. A family man is seen as more responsible and more maure.
This is also so in the western world.

Some things never change!
some things never change my dear
These civilised and detribalised wannabes think they can outsmart their nature

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by An0nimus: 11:08pm On Apr 21, 2015
ekiloui:

The post is about married women receiving respect regardless of their attitude. My question is more appropriate...you can answer it rather than "fine tune it to your taste"

On the contrary you should reread your initial post. Your scenarios were not balanced. You gave the married woman an attitude problem and the single woman none.

If you want I can change the scenarios again giving both parties attitude problems and ask you the same question.

So my question still stands.

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by willytongie81: 11:11pm On Apr 21, 2015
TooNoisy:
Silly topic.

What is this respect? Are you implying Oprah is not respected. Several single woman out there who have achieved a lot on their own without being married, and they are very much respected by all.

Bros, if you boss is a single woman, please don't respect her ok. Talk down on her and you will be where you end up!

Silly topic for unenlightened souls.
chai!! U dey vex? Let go of ur past abeg... It's obvious maaannnnn!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Wives and Intending Wives, Do you Love Guys Who Can Cook Very Well? / Man Who Married 2 Wives In Order To Have A Male Child Now Has 6 Daughters. Photo / Help! My Marriage Is Giving Me Pain.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.