Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,485 members, 7,781,458 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:45 PM

Concept Of Male Privilege - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Concept Of Male Privilege (1224 Views)

Neglect Of Male Child Rape/molestation By a Female Adult / Feminist Group Breaks Male Toilets As A Sign Of Male Chauvinism / If You Had Privilege To Determine Your Country Of Birth Will You Have Chosen NG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Concept Of Male Privilege by Free(f): 1:04pm On Sep 08, 2006
I am interested in your thoughts/feelings about the concept of male privilege.
In church, and community organizations there are some roles which seem automatically expected of women.
Is it spiritually, naturally, socially right to assert that a man should make decisions, lead the unit, have his
voice heard, or be served simply because he is a man? , Is this the natural order of things?
How does this affect women?, Does male privilege seep into work?, relationships?, spiritual?
, family?, Is it a useful concept?
Re: Concept Of Male Privilege by Seun(m): 6:05pm On Sep 09, 2006
It is an unfair concept that women are naive enough to allow in society.

Women will wake up sooner or later and the concept of "male privilege" will be no more.

Unfortunately, some chauvinistic religions will have to go down with it or be reinterpreted.
Re: Concept Of Male Privilege by Oracle(m): 6:05pm On Sep 10, 2006
No matter how women wake up, there would still be something they won't be able to do.
Coz God created the man first and gave the woman to him as a help mate remember?

So God automatically placed Man as the Head.
Re: Concept Of Male Privilege by English1(f): 10:18am On Jan 23, 2007
This is something that causes some friction between me and my Nigerian boyfriend but we manage to compromise our way out of trouble.I don't want to really go into it, as I believe there is not 'right' or 'wrong' way to run a relationship, each couple should decide for themselves how it is going to work. (I don't agree with it personally though).

However, I would like to suggest something about the biblical idea that man was created first, and then woman was created to be his helper.

Imagine you run a company and think that you need one person to do a job. You then find out that that person can't cope with the job on their own. You have to take on a second employee as well. To me, it means that the first person is incompetent and in no way is the more able person or the natural 'leader'. If they'd been any good I would'nt have needed another employee. And if you are a caring employer who was very fond of this first person, you don't tell them exactly what you have done, after all, you want to encourage them to improve not dishearten them. So you tell them 'I'm bringing someone in to help you'. (thinking: because  you can't do the job properly, hopefully you'll learn from the new person and buck your ideas up, or maybe you are just too old and tired to cope anymore so we need a better younger person around to 'help', although of course they'll be taking over from you in due course').

God's plan initially seemed to be to have one human being, otherwise he might have made them both at the same time. Then Adam couldn't cope on his own and God had to make someone better. The woman is the revised improved version of a human being! Women are physically different to men. God wouldn't take something perfect and make it worse, now would he. So women must be an improvement on men. Note that after God made Eve, he was satisfied. Eve was as good a human being as he could make, Adam was the incompetent one. So logically, the incompetent person shouldn't be the leader.

Adam was a prototype. Eve was the finished version.

What do you all think of that interpretation? It seems to me that the men have always interpreted it in their favour, but you could just as easily look at it in this way.
Re: Concept Of Male Privilege by Grouppoint(m): 4:13pm On Jan 23, 2007
English1,
Following from your argument that God made eve, because Adam could not cope.

Pray tell me. If Eve is the best that God could make; "the finished product", why then did she cause the downfall of humanity?

She it was who accepted the apple from the serpent, and thus you and I are in this quagmire called life and death, suffering and smiling, success and failure, pain and tragedy etc.

Surely, your argument must even lead you to conclude that when woman takes charge of a decision, the consequences are disastrous.
Re: Concept Of Male Privilege by English1(f): 5:15pm On Jan 24, 2007
Presumably that was all part of God's plan for humanity!
Re: Concept Of Male Privilege by Easyy(m): 10:23am On Jan 25, 2007
English1:

This is something that causes some friction between me and my Nigerian boyfriend but we manage to compromise our way out of trouble.I don't want to really go into it, as I believe there is not 'right' or 'wrong' way to run a relationship, each couple should decide for themselves how it is going to work. (I don't agree with it personally though).

However, I would like to suggest something about the biblical idea that man was created first, and then woman was created to be his helper.

Imagine you run a company and think that you need one person to do a job. You then find out that that person can't cope with the job on their own. You have to take on a second employee as well. To me, it means that the first person is incompetent and in no way is the more able person or the natural 'leader'. If they'd been any good I would'nt have needed another employee. And if you are a caring employer who was very fond of this first person, you don't tell them exactly what you have done, after all, you want to encourage them to improve not dishearten them. So you tell them 'I'm bringing someone in to help you'. (thinking: because  you can't do the job properly, hopefully you'll learn from the new person and buck your ideas up, or maybe you are just too old and tired to cope anymore so we need a better younger person around to 'help', although of course they'll be taking over from you in due course').

God's plan initially seemed to be to have one human being, otherwise he might have made them both at the same time. Then Adam couldn't cope on his own and God had to make someone better. The woman is the revised improved version of a human being! Women are physically different to men. God wouldn't take something perfect and make it worse, now would he. So women must be an improvement on men. Note that after God made Eve, he was satisfied. Eve was as good a human being as he could make, Adam was the incompetent one. So logically, the incompetent person shouldn't be the leader.

Adam was a prototype. Eve was the finished version.

What do you all think of that interpretation? It seems to me that the men have always interpreted it in their favour, but you could just as easily look at it in this way.

What a load of bollocks.

If you're going to try and give wrong meanings to the word of God, you'll do better by looking at the word of God properly.

Does the word of God not tell us that the man is the head of the woman?

I prefer it when people say they don't believe the bible and refuse to use it as a yardstick for anything than for people to try and use the bible to mislead others.
Re: Concept Of Male Privilege by Easyy(m): 10:25am On Jan 25, 2007
It's up to every family to decide what works for them.

I find it funny when unbelievers try to tell others not to live their lives the way God's word points it out. Unbelievers should live their lives the way they want and let believers live their lives according to the word of God. The success or failure of both lifestyles will be manifested in time.
Re: Concept Of Male Privilege by English1(f): 11:31am On Jan 25, 2007
I'm not telling anyone how to live their life. I'm not trying to convince anyone to change their views. Like I said, "I believe there is not 'right' or 'wrong' way to run a relationship, each couple should decide for themselves how it is going to work".

I don't even believe in Adam and Eve and all that, so it was just a theoretical story. It just seems to me that generally when someone is in need of a 'helper' it means that they can't do the job properly themselves.  grin
Re: Concept Of Male Privilege by Easyy(m): 12:21pm On Jan 25, 2007
If you dont believe in the bible, maybe you should not have used it to try and support what's not true.

Have you considered that people have assistants and deputies not necessarily because of incompetence but because of the sheer size of the task to be accomplished?
Re: Concept Of Male Privilege by English1(f): 1:59am On Jan 26, 2007
There wasn't any work in the garden of eden. so why did Adam need a helper?
Re: Concept Of Male Privilege by Busta(f): 5:14am On Jan 26, 2007
maybe he needed a helper to help him feel complete. grin cheesy grin
Re: Concept Of Male Privilege by Seun(m): 3:09pm On Jan 26, 2007
Some chauvinistic old men formulating the story of creation realised (as an after-thought) that they needed an explanation for the existence of those inferior females, so they simply coined one. smiley
Re: Concept Of Male Privilege by Easyy(m): 6:03pm On Jan 26, 2007
Seun, rora o
Re: Concept Of Male Privilege by Easyy(m): 6:04pm On Jan 26, 2007
English1:

Have you ever read the bible to determine that man had no task given him by God?
Re: Concept Of Male Privilege by Free(f): 8:42pm On Jan 26, 2007

to produce n' multiply duh! grin
Re: Concept Of Male Privilege by oyinboaja: 10:17pm On Jan 28, 2007
na wa oh
Re: Concept Of Male Privilege by Busta(f): 10:41pm On Jan 28, 2007
@oyin,
u didn't bring ur *Na wa oh* here too?

lol

(1) (Reply)

Why Most Ladies Wants Their Mothers-in-law Dead? / Would You Agree If You Were Me? / 10 Years Old Girl Set Self On Fire In Delta State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.