Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,398 members, 7,781,145 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:41 AM

The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen (7821 Views)

Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates / Will There Ever Be A Drop Test Videos For Tecno And Infinix Phones / This is the real reason why Tecno Mobile is The best Phone Brand in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by Habeebpain(m): 9:17am On Apr 21, 2015
Habeebpain:

In my years on this forum, I've seen more requests for
CM to be supported on XX device than I could even
begin to count. I want to clear up some common
misconceptions.
The CyanogenMod developer team doesn't create CM
from scratch. Rather, they take the code put out by
Google, called AOSP (Android Open Source Project),
and start adding all the awesome features we have
come to love and enjoy.
Support for devices is handled by device maintainers.
What does this mean? Well, let's back up a bit.
CM devs are consumers first. What this means is that
they do not divide up devices among other developers,
or assign devices like one would at a job. Developers
work in their spare time without monetary
compensation. Because of this, the developers are free
to work on any device they choose to purchase .
Let's say a dev has bought fancy new device X. It is
really sweet, but he wants CM on it, but there is no CM
version currently available. He then goes through the
trouble of taking the CM vendor and framework
codebase (which in and of itself doesn't support ANY
devices - that is what all the device trees are for) and
then he goes and starts adding the code necessary to
make CM work properly on his device. When it gets far
enough along, he can then submit that code back to CM
for inclusion into CM's github (where all the code for
CM and devices are maintained). If that code passes
the checks that the CM team has (minimal bugs and
formatted properly) then the CM team will merge that
code into its own device tree and add official support
for that device. That developer has now become a
"maintainer" for that device. For continued updates, that
maintainer needs to maintain his code to make sure it
works properly on his device when new CM code gets
put out. If the maintainer's device breaks, or he/she
upgrades, they may not be willing to maintain that
device anymore, and if someone else doesn't step up, it
could lose official support in CyanogenMod.
Now, what does this mean to you? First off, requesting
anywhere in the CM forum, the CM Blog, or the
Facebook/Google+/Twitter accounts for device XX to
be supported is probably a waste of your time and
anybody who reads said request. CyanogenMod does
not work on device requests as there is no
guaranteeing that a current CM maintainer is even
interested in the device. Additionally, its not as simple
as 'porting' code, the device trees must be coded from
scratch and made to work with the AOSP sourced code
and CM enhancements. This takes a large amount of
time and effort, especially when the device's OEM fails
to release the latest version of Android for it. Second, in
hoping a worthy developer sees the post and decides to
take up the project... well, that is probably just wishful
thinking. Many developers do not like interacting with
end users (too much finger pointing between both devs
and users or anger directed at the devs for something
working other than how the user expects - it happens
far too often); because of that, many developers don't
frequent the forum (or if they do, they only view the
forums for the devices they maintain).
The best way to get a device official support is not
requesting it from the CM team , but learning how to do
it yourself or encouraging a maintainer of an unofficial
build to submit their code for review. Many developers
will work on unofficial ports on the xda-developers
forum , so that would be the first place to check out. If
there isn't any work currently being done, you can
attempt it yourself. There is a pretty in-depth article in
the wiki explaining a lot of the steps of porting a device
(as the bottom of the wiki states, nothing can cover
every single process of porting, but it is a really great
start).
If you do feel so inclined to still post a device request,
know that the CyanogenMod developer team is under
no obligation to support your device. This is not a
democracy and more replies/votes will not necessarily
help get your device support. If you are going to submit
a request, please submit them to the Device Requests
forum to keep the clutter down in other forums.

A few days ago, someone opened a thread asking if Tecno phones can run cyanogenmod ROMS. The post above explains why. However, it's possible for Tecno to go into partnership with Cyanogen and release a phone that ships with cyanogen OS, with agreement on support spanning an agreed period of time.

2 Likes

Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by Habeebpain(m): 9:19am On Apr 21, 2015
it's a long read, but it's worth it.

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by luvlyoracle(m): 9:38am On Apr 21, 2015
Nice one
Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by RobinHez(m): 9:43am On Apr 21, 2015
Well I believe DEVs are human beings also...from the post, custom roms are made and maintained by local developers.
Firstly we should ask ourselves, do we have android developers in Nigeria?
Secondly, if we do, what are they doing with their time and resources?
Thirdly, if we don't, how do we start encouraging our youths to become developers?

If we can answer these questions, then I think we won't need to wait for 'white' men before we derive satisfaction from devices we love.

Ps. Note, phones like tecno, infinix, injoo and the likes can only be found in markets and economies like Nigeria. So its time for Nigerians to step up!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by Habeebpain(m): 6:53pm On Apr 21, 2015
You also have to know that Tecno, Innjoo and Infinix phones are not Nigerian made phones but sold in Nigeria. I don't even think they release their source codes, which is what developers need to work with.
Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by RobinHez(m): 7:48pm On Apr 21, 2015
Habeebpain:
You also have to know that Tecno, Innjoo and Infinix phones are not Nigerian made phones but sold in Nigeria. I don't even think they release their source codes, which is what developers need to work with.
Android is open-source, anyone can demand for the source code.

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by Habeebpain(m): 5:56am On Apr 22, 2015
RobinHez:

Android is open-source, anyone can demand for the source code.

Android is open source is different from Touchwiz is open source or EMUI is open source or Zen UI is open source.
Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by swisscarter(m): 8:00am On Apr 22, 2015
From all I've read
..its possible for tecno phones to use cyanogen mod ROMs.... Just no stable developer (someone who has time, who also has knowledge of Linux codes,)

On the path of tecno I'm not really sure I've ever seen their kernel source code self...to build a cm ROM original google aosp source code is needed, cm source code on the particular cm version you're trying to port also the particular tecno source code for the phone...... Outside this cm can be ported for tecno (DUNNO ABOUT CM12 OOO...THAT NA LOLLIPOP)
Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by oyewolestephen(m): 8:31am On Apr 22, 2015
Will the OS run on gionee phones?
Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by swisscarter(m): 9:09am On Apr 22, 2015
oyewolestephen:
Will the OS run on gionee phones?
gionee doesn't release kernel source codes.....so it may be possible... But it will be buggy... Like Bluetooth, WiFi camera gestures not gonna be working
Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by hovatek: 10:13am On Apr 22, 2015
RobinHez:
Well I believe DEVs are human beings also...from the post, custom roms are made and maintained by local developers.
Thirdly, if we don't, how do we start encouraging our youths to become developers?

If we can answer these questions, then I think we won't need to wait for 'white' men before we derive satisfaction from devices we love.

Ps. Note, phones like tecno, infinix, injoo and the likes can only be found in markets and economies like Nigeria. So its time for Nigerians to step up!

We've been doing a lot of dev work on Tecno & Infinix phones, bringing CM to them is one of such (Keslar Infinito) but all effort to get these people to release their source codes have proved abortive. whats modding without source codes?
Nigerian Android devs are working (at least for those working on MTK), these companies are not just helping developers. For this reason, most of what you see are themed ROMs. The 4.4 upgrade for Tecno M3 4.2 (not themed) we're working on has been a tasking project as we've had to rely on source codes of other MT6572 phones and patches.
I believe it starts with these device manufacturers adhering to the GPL laws and releasing their source codes. without this, it'll just be porting and themeing galore.. nothing from scratch
Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by RobinHez(m): 10:30am On Apr 22, 2015
post=32983472:

We've been doing a lot of dev work on Tecno & Infinix phones, bringing CM to them is one of such (Keslar Infinito) but all effort to get these people to release their source codes have proved abortive. whats modding without source codes?
Nigerian Android devs are working (at least for those working on MTK), these companies are not just helping developers. For this reason, most of what you see are themed ROMs. The 4.4 upgrade for Tecno M3 4.2 (not themed) we're working on has been a tasking project as we've had to rely on source codes of other MT6572 phones and patches.
I believe it starts with these device manufacturers adhering to the GPL laws and releasing their source codes. without this, it'll just be porting and themeing galore.. nothing from scratch
Hmmm...well that's why they don't also support OTA update, they'd run outta business if they do. What about improving from an exisiting Rom?
Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by maltharzaer(m): 11:39am On Apr 22, 2015
@habeebpain, I'm really glad you shared this and shed light on the issue of Custom ROMs and porting. One of the reasons I shunned the infinix Hot Note was based on the fact that it probably would never get Mods. Accepted, it has a fancy build and nice battery span...but the lack of recognition by international developers puts this phone and its likes at a disadvantage when it comes to getting quality upgrades ad tweaks. Like @RobinHez noted, if these "unceremonious" phones dont get attention from foreign Devs., we can at least begin to hope that these OEMs release their Codes and also do our part to work on available resources if we indeed like to explore the full potentials of low end brand names. That said... nice work @habeebpain and everyone contributing to the beautiful Art of #Android

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by yomalex(m): 12:36pm On Apr 22, 2015
Interesting read
Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by Nobody: 8:14am On May 08, 2016
Habeebpain:

A few days ago, someone opened a thread asking if Tecno phones can run cyanogenmod ROMS. The post above explains why. However, it's possible for Tecno to go into partnership with Cyanogen and release a phone that ships with cyanogen OS, with agreement on support spanning an agreed period of time.

Nice writeup

So I can't us CM 13 on my gionee m5?
Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by Nobody: 8:16am On May 08, 2016
RobinHez:

This doesn't make any sense

Were the phones made in Nigeria?
Were they just made for Nigerians?
I think cm s just careless.
Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by RobinHez(m): 8:20am On May 08, 2016
bulldoza:

This doesn't make any sense

Were the phones made in Nigeria?
Were they just made for Nigerians?
I think cm s just careless.

I guess you didn't read what I wrote...well lemme requote my statement cuz I wan go baff, no time to begin explain! smiley

RobinHez:

Er...take note of the highlighted.. Goodday sir! cool
Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by Nobody: 9:32am On May 08, 2016
RobinHez:

I guess you didn't read what I wrote...well lemme requote my statement cuz I wan go baff, no time to begin explain! smiley

Er...take note of the highlighted.. Goodday sir! cool
That's a big lie
These Mtk phones are used everywhere: China, Usa, India, South Africa etc.
My cousin bought 4 tecno phones last year to USA.
Go to XDA developer forum, you'll understand better.
Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by Boyembo(m): 11:53am On May 08, 2016
bulldoza:
That's a big lie These Mtk phones are used everywhere: China, Usa, India, South Africa etc. My cousin bought 4 tecno phones last year to USA. Go to XDA developer forum, you'll understand better.
how old are u

1 Like

Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by Marvell23(m): 11:56am On May 08, 2016
Any device can use cyanogen Op, is a matter of good developers having access to such device Code.
Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by Nobody: 12:55pm On May 08, 2016
Boyembo:
how old are u
Older than you.
Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by jiggar(m): 1:33pm On May 08, 2016
"Taps mic and clears throat"

Wow, I am amazed that in this time and age, most people don't know that some Tecno devices are already rocking cyanogenmod.

To buttress my point, I am using cyanogen 13 on my Tecno H6. Yes, you read right, Tecno H6.
This was a phone built in 2014 and rocking cyanogen. I ported it myself almost three weeks ago.

There are developers constantly building varieties of rom for my kind of device running mt6582 chipset.
And I must say, cyanogen is sweeeeet!!!

"Drops mic and leaves."

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by AnnabelR0se(f): 1:54pm On May 08, 2016
jiggar:

Wow, I am amazed that in this time and age, most people don't know that some Tecno devices are already rocking cyanogenmod.

To buttress my point, I am using cyanogen 13 on my Tecno H6. Yes, you read right, Tecno H6.
This was a phone built in 2014 and rocking cyanogen. I ported it myself almost three weeks ago.

There are developers constantly building varieties of rom for my kind of device running mt6582 chipset.

"Drops mic and leaves."
Really, the op must have been ignorant of this development . How good is cyanogen rom compared to others ?
Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by jiggar(m): 2:07pm On May 08, 2016
AnnabelR0se:
Really, the op must have been ignorant of this development . How good is cyanogen rom compared to others ?

Well in terms of custom roms, it (cyanogen) is the king. So I would say, it's nice and free of bloatwares.
But, that is not to say it doesn't have some little issues. Like in my case, my Bluetooth only shares files with other android phones, but not with Java phones.

But then, nothing is perfect, as I have gotten used to it. So aside the Bluetooth issue, everything is working.
Hope I was clear enough?

"Drops mic and leaves"
Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by Nsonaso(m): 3:10pm On May 08, 2016
[b]For the person asking if there are Android developers in Nigeria? The answer is CAPITAL YES and an ONE of them, and I believe they're others out there too e.g the guys.

Here is the reason why you don't see CM or it's like ROM for TECNO and the likes.

Kernel is the father and root of ALL OS: It contains the proper delivers the drive your device hardware.
is the kernel that controls every operation on your phone / computer, the key press event, hardware like speakers, camera etc responding while touching software, while you touch a particular key, the OS will understand the exact key you pressed (I wish I could explain the power of kernel to you verbally)

So if you have the kernel source code for your device, it means you have the key to do and undo, to create and to destroy.

If you have the kernel source, the sky is your starting point i.e where Google stop, that's were you will begin.

If you have the kernel source code, You can start porting any version of Android OS to your device from the first day the Code will be released to the public by Google, you can even port pure Linux or it's flavor like Ubuntu, Mint, Cent, Fedora etc to your device.
Even, if you have access to Microsoft Windows Mobile OS or Apple iOS source code, you can port the OS i.e Windows OS or iOS to your device.

But the bad news is that TECNO and the likes doesn't release the kernel source code of their devices, Though GiONEE do release but not to the general public. They only release to the companies they manufacture devices for, eg Walton, Allview and Blu etc.

The only MTK device manufacturer I know that release her device source code is Xiaomi and HTC.

So is obvious that the guy who said he ported CM 13 to his TECNO H6, ported from MT6582 that was ported from Xiaomi Redmi Note 3G MT6592

And pure CM 13 is based on Android 6 and believe you me the CM 13 you're running on TECNO H6 is based on Android 4.4.2 KitKat as you can't port from a higher SDK to a lower SDK.

IN SUMMARY:
You're running a Themed KitKat CM 13 maybe with some ported Android 6 features but not a full Android 6 implementation. Because it's still impossible without the Kernel source code.
[/b]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by Nsonaso(m): 3:18pm On May 08, 2016
jiggar:

"Drops mic and leaves."
That's a Themed CM 13. As pure CM 13 is Android 6 based and you can't port from higher SDK to a lower SDK
Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by jiggar(m): 3:49pm On May 08, 2016
Nsonaso:

That's a Themed CM 13. As pure CM 13 is Android 6 based and you can't port from higher SDK to a lower SDK
"Taps mic and clears"
Themed you say? OK.

"Drops mic and leaves"

Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by jiggar(m): 3:51pm On May 08, 2016

"Drops mic and leaves"

Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by jiggar(m): 3:57pm On May 08, 2016

And last but not the least,the beauty of DOZE, optimizing every single app on CM13 to save my battery.

Drops mic and leaves"

Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by jiggar(m): 4:14pm On May 08, 2016
Now, I know some people are more vast when it comes to porting and building roms.
Initially it was difficult building the roms for CM13 on kernel 3.4.67 according to some guys at xda. They said the kernel of my device was too old, to boot CM13. They said it requires some blob files to build it, and without the source code, it will be practically impossible.

Unknown to most of us, the final users, some Indian guys were frantically searching for how to get those blob files and build the rom for that old kernel.
Lo and behold, they got it working and here we are using CM13, on a very old kernel. And like I said in one of my early post, the Bluetooth functionality is 90%, due to the kernel issue. Aside that, all is working well.

One thing I have come to realize in life is that, where one person's knowledge ends, it doesn't mean others are not trying to surpass that level. Humans are trying to get better everyday.

However I would like to ask a question from the gurus here. Is there any way to tell the difference between a themed OS and original?

"Drops mic and leaves"

3 Likes

Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by Oluwaseunsodiq(m): 6:56pm On May 08, 2016
jiggar:
Now, I know some people are more vast when it comes to porting and building roms.
Initially it was difficult building the roms for CM13 on kernel 3.4.67 according to some guys at xda. They said the kernel of my device was too old, to boot CM13. They said it requires some blob files to build it, and without the source code, it will be practically impossible.

Unknown to most of us, the final users, some Indian guys were frantically searching for how to get those blob files and build the rom for that old kernel.
Lo and behold, they got it working and here we are using CM13, on a very old kernel. And like I said in one of my early post, the Bluetooth functionality is 90%, due to the kernel issue. Aside that, all is working well.

One thing I have come to realize in life is that, where one person's knowledge ends, it doesn't mean others are not trying to surpass that level. Humans are trying to get better everyday.

However I would like to ask a question from the gurus here. Is there any way to tell the difference between a themed OS and original?

"Drops mic and leaves"
Bro just install Cpux and check your api level. If it ain't 23 then it isn't exactly android 6.0.
Re: The Reason Why Tecno And The Likes Will Never Run Cyanogen by jiggar(m): 7:38pm On May 08, 2016
Oluwaseunsodiq:
Bro just install Cpux and check your api level. If it ain't 23 then it isn't exactly android 6.0.

I want to believe this is what you mean?

"Drops mic and leaves"

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Android Phones Under 70,000 Naira In Nigeria / Hacking The Latest Firmware Of Nokia E51 / After Years Of Rubbish In Nigeria,just Pack And Go

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.