Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,313 members, 7,808,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:11 AM

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Recalls Growing Up In Chinua Achebe’s House - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Recalls Growing Up In Chinua Achebe’s House (1640 Views)

Peter Okoye Meets Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala In Maryland, USA (Photo) / Ngozi Nwosu: “I Will Marry When It Is Right Time” — 53 Year Old Veteran Actress / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Nominated For Grammy Award With Beyonce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Recalls Growing Up In Chinua Achebe’s House by Nobody: 8:39am On Apr 22, 2015
[img]http://farafinabooks.files./2013/04/chimamanda-adichie.jpg[/img]

In a country with a population of 170 million, it is an extraordinary coincidence that Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie grew up in the house that had once belonged to Chinua Achebe.
Adichie’s father worked at the University of Nigeria – in fact, he became Nigeria’s first professor of statistics in 1976. Achebe had taught at the same institution in the early 1970s, and at one point the Adichie family moved into the campus accommodation that had been vacated by the Achebes.

The two men were friends, but Achebe and Adichie never met. Achebe tried to arrange a meeting with Adichie after the publication of her first novel, but she says she was reluctant to come fact to face with the grandfather of Nigerian literature, telling the National Post: “I was in awe of him. I didn’t want to meet him.”
The Nigerian literary legends finally met in 2009. Achebe passed away in 2013.
At an event celebrating African literature at Brown University in 2008, Achebe explained further: “I wanted to start by saying something about the bit of my biography that usually gets the most response from people, which is that I lived in Chinua Achebe’s house.
“Growing up, and because it really was just an ordinary coincidence that the university campus was a small place, so people would move out, people would move in, I didn’t really think about this, that Chinua Achebe’s family had moved out before my family moved in.
“Until Purple Hibiscus was about to be published and I was talking to my editor, an American, and I said to her, ‘You know, it’s interesting that I lived in this house that Chinua Achebe lived in’, and she stopped and said: ‘It’s not interesting … it’s the most important thing that you’ve told me about yourself!’
“And she then said it had to go in my bio, and since then it’s sort of become, really, the most important thing about me. And I feel very grateful.”
Adichie goes on to read from Half of a Yellow Sun, which is set in 1960s Nigeria and follows three major characters, one of whom is Ubu, a houseboy from a poor village who goes to work for a university professor.
“Ubu in many ways was inspired by stories my mother told about the houseboy she had during the war,” Adichie says. “And also, he was based on the houseboy we had growing up. And the scene I’m going to read, which features chicken, was inspired by a similar chicken incident when I was growing up.”

http://jonathanball.bookslive.co.za/blog/2015/04/21/from-the-archive-chimamanda-ngozi-adichie-recalls-growing-up-in-chinua-achebes-house/

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Recalls Growing Up In Chinua Achebe’s House by samutd4u(m): 8:50am On Apr 22, 2015
Ok
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Recalls Growing Up In Chinua Achebe’s House by Nobody: 8:59am On Apr 22, 2015
Good, you child will most likely emulate the character of whoever he/she spends the most time with.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Recalls Growing Up In Chinua Achebe’s House by RobinHez(m): 9:07am On Apr 22, 2015
Nigeria is blessed!
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Recalls Growing Up In Chinua Achebe’s House by IamOpemipo(m): 9:10am On Apr 22, 2015
AwesomelyMade:
Good, you child will most likely emulate the character of whoever he/she spends the most time with.

Read the story

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Recalls Growing Up In Chinua Achebe’s House by Nobody: 9:13am On Apr 22, 2015
IamOpemipo:

Read the story

For how much?
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Recalls Growing Up In Chinua Achebe’s House by Nobody: 10:44am On Apr 22, 2015
Awesome.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Recalls Growing Up In Chinua Achebe’s House by Nobody: 10:45am On Apr 22, 2015
AwesomelyMade:

For how much?
Naija be rushing to comment without reading. grin
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Recalls Growing Up In Chinua Achebe’s House by Nobody: 12:28pm On Apr 22, 2015
Interesting coincidence.

Cc ishilove, emusmith, seun
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Recalls Growing Up In Chinua Achebe’s House by Nobody: 1:45pm On Apr 22, 2015
Superleo2:

Naija be rushing to comment without reading. grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Recalls Growing Up In Chinua Achebe’s House by Nobody: 1:54pm On Apr 22, 2015
Wow! what a coincidence
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Recalls Growing Up In Chinua Achebe’s House by hatux: 1:58pm On Apr 22, 2015
Cool

(1) (Reply)

IK Ogbonna’s Pregnant Fiancee Shares Selfie With Bare 8-months Baby Bump / Wowza! See How A Makeup Artiste Transformed This 70 Year Old Woman / Sold

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.