Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,471 members, 7,770,158 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:11 AM

AE & PP Workflow In Post-production - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / AE & PP Workflow In Post-production (1816 Views)

Please I Need Links To Download Optical flares And Video Transitions For AE / 11 3d Tools For Easy Workflow / Video And VFX Editing (ap & Ae) Whatsapp Group. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

AE & PP Workflow In Post-production by Brimmie(m): 8:46am On Apr 22, 2015
In the next couple of months, I'm likely to bore you all in this section with threads on Film Making. Please kindly bear with me and try to help in anyway you can.

I have a big project (Final Year Project) ahead of me, so I'm trying to do some Short Films to perfect my Film Making skill before I start the Main Project.

So, I was trying to edit a short clip last night.. and I basically did everything (Editing, Colour Correction/Grading and Titles) in After Effects.

AE Timeline is quite frustrating when editing footages, most especially transition, trimming et al which are very easy to do on Premiere Pro.

So, guys.. What's the best Post-Production Workflow in using After Effects and Premiere Pro. Like, do you edit first before applying effects?? Or what?

PS: I'm a Newbie in Film Making

cc: VillageBoi Speedyboi Sholay2011

1 Like

Re: AE & PP Workflow In Post-production by sojas: 3:00pm On Apr 22, 2015
Brimmie

I would advice you, do all ur important clips first in AE before sending to PP. I don't think, all ur clips will be animated? So those important ones, send them to AE and you can later link them to PP.

That is just me.
Re: AE & PP Workflow In Post-production by Brimmie(m): 3:23pm On Apr 22, 2015
sojas:
Brimmie

I would advice you, do all ur important clips first in AE before sending to PP. I don't think, all ur clips will be animated? So those important ones, send them to AE and you can later link them to PP.

That is just me.

Thanks..

Not all.. Just few will be animated. I normally pre-compose each clips, then put them in main comp before rendering them. So PP is practically useless here.

I wish AE has PP Editing tools.

Still waiting for VillageBoi 's comment.. At least I've seen couple of his works which are great.
Re: AE & PP Workflow In Post-production by prof800(m): 12:07am On Apr 23, 2015
Basically, you edit first before applying effects. You don't want yo waste time in applying effects to clips that are not needed. Then edit again after applying effects.

It depends on the project at hand.
Am example is; A.E to premiere pro... then to A.E again, then back to Premiere pro where you'll do final exporting.

You know you might not use A.E at all in some projects.
Re: AE & PP Workflow In Post-production by Briareos(m): 3:58pm On Apr 23, 2015
Make use of adobe dynamic link. I think your workflow will be dependent on how intimate you are with either of the software. Here is an overview of my own personal workflow:

I cut in Premiere. If I need to add effect to a particular scene, I replace the footage with an After Effect composition right there in Premier Pro. I switch back to After effects and perform my magic. I can always go back to Premier pro to check how the effects match my work in real time. I go back to After effects if I need to make any corrections. I rinse and repeat till end of project.

This workflow will not be advisable if your machine is not, well, a machine. It clogs down the processor real hard.

An alternative workflow is this:

Cut in Premiere Pro. Utilize multi sequences. Divide your work into segments with sequences. Export the sequences that need effect to After effects. Export back to Premiere Pro. Quite tedious, I know.

Addendum:

Never ever, I repeat, ever cut in After Effects. Except the project is extremely short and filled with visual effects.

4 Likes

Re: AE & PP Workflow In Post-production by Brimmie(m): 11:19pm On Apr 24, 2015
prof800:
Basically, you edit first before applying effects. You don't want to waste time in applying effects to clips that are not needed. Then edit again after applying effects.

It depends on the project at hand.
Am example is; A.E to premiere pro... then to A.E again, then back to Premiere pro where you'll do final exporting.

You know you might not use A.E at all in some projects.

@Bold: Exactly! Thanks !!
Re: AE & PP Workflow In Post-production by Brimmie(m): 11:26pm On Apr 24, 2015
Briareos:
Make use of adobe dynamic link. I think your workflow will be dependent on how intimate you are with either of the software. Here is an overview of my own personal workflow:

I cut in Premiere. If I need to add effect to a particular scene, I replace the footage with an After Effect composition right there in Premier Pro. I switch back to After effects and perform my magic. I can always go back to Premier pro to check how the effects match my work in real time. I go back to After effects if I need to make any corrections. I rinse and repeat till end of project.

This workflow will not be advisable if your machine is not, well, a machine. It clogs down the processor real hard.

An alternative workflow is this:

Cut in Premiere Pro. Utilize multi sequences. Divide your work into segments with sequences. Export the sequences that need effect to After effects. Export back to Premiere Pro. Quite tedious, I know.

Addendum:

Never ever, I repeat, ever cut in After Effects. Except the project is extremely short and filled with visual effects.

The Project is going to be 30mins Documentary. I just found out about Dynamic Link while surfing the net. Pretty cool feature.

I'm gon' go for the former workflow. I think it fits the type of work I'm about to do.

I really appreciate how you explain everything.

You the Boss!! cheesy
Re: AE & PP Workflow In Post-production by VillageBoi(m): 8:58pm On May 23, 2015
Brimmie:

So, guys.. What's the best Post-Production Workflow in using After Effects and Premiere Pro. Like, do you edit first before applying effects?? Or what?

PS: I'm a Newbie in Film Making

cc: VillageBoi Speedyboi Sholay2011

So sorry I'm only just seeing this Brimmie; it's not a section that I check much. Briareos & the others have pretty much said it all. I use AE occasionally and don't edit in Premiere either. I edit in Final Cut and if I ever need to use AE I just export only the very small section that I've already edited in Final Cut.
Re: AE & PP Workflow In Post-production by Brimmie(m): 9:33am On May 24, 2015
VillageBoi:

So sorry I'm only just seeing this Brimmie; it's not a section that I check much. Briareos & the others have pretty much said it all. I use AE occasionally and don't edit in Premiere either. I edit in Final Cut and if I ever need to use AE I just export only the very small section that I've already edited in Final Cut.

It seems people from that part of the world use Final Cut coz of the platform.

Well, your info is still helpful.. not too late.

Thank you Boss!! smiley
Re: AE & PP Workflow In Post-production by VillageBoi(m): 12:40pm On May 24, 2015
Brimmie:

It seems people from that part of the world use Final Cut coz of the platform.

Well, your info is still helpful.. not too late.

Thank you Boss!! smiley

You're welcome and 'no', geography has nothing to do with what people cut on... they use every platform all over the world.

(1) (Reply)

Amazing "Photo²cartoon" Graphics By A Nairalander CARTOONIST / Bukasgraphix(cartoon). Check Out This Cartoon I Designed With Photoshop / Lovely Body Art Paintings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.