Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,146,303 members, 7,792,614 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 April 2024 at 07:33 AM

The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs (15936 Views)

How Do I Advertise On Nairaland Literature Section...? / Nairaland Literature Nomination Thread / Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Go Down)

Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by LarrySun(m): 3:25pm On Apr 24, 2015
standd:

We all know what you are talking about undecided
Stop derailing the thread.
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by KingzPen(m): 3:33pm On Apr 24, 2015
Most writers in the Lit Section seem lazy... Reading books/materials that develop your writing skills is just as important as having a story to tell... The major problem is a personal thing. Everybody should sit up tight and better his/her craft... Don't jump into a story you haven't researched about... And stop waiting for one 'Wole Soyinka' to visit your thread to correct you... If you're passionate enough, you will definitely tell if you're getting better or not...

Letz All Buckle Up... You Never Could Tell Who Is Watching You Or Reading Your Art With An Anonymous But Golden Eyes...

#Respect

1 Like

Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by kayemjay(m): 3:48pm On Apr 24, 2015
KingzPen:
Most writers in the Lit Section seem lazy... Reading books/materials that develop your writing skills is just as important as having a story to tell... The major problem is a personal thing. Everybody should sit up tight and better his/her craft... Don't jump into a story you haven't researched about... And stop waiting for one 'Wole Soyinka' to visit your thread to correct you... If you're passionate enough, you will definitely tell if you're getting better or not...

Letz All Buckle Up... You Never Could Tell Who Is Watching You Or Reading Your Art With An Anonymous But Golden Eyes...

#Respect

Yimu x500
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by D9ty7(m): 4:12pm On Apr 24, 2015
kayemjay:

Yimu x500
You have been banned by a moderator until 2098
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by kayemjay(m): 4:21pm On Apr 24, 2015
D9ty7:

You have been banned by a moderator until 2098

Banners club ni.
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by LarrySun(m): 4:28pm On Apr 24, 2015
kayemjay:

Banners club ni.
LOL! cheesy You never fail to amaze me. What's a 'banners club' again?
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by KingzPen(m): 4:33pm On Apr 24, 2015
kayemjay:

Yimu x500
Yinmu cos you're guilty... tongue
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by LarrySun(m): 4:34pm On Apr 24, 2015
KingzPen:

#Respect
True post. Lazy writers abbreviate their narratives; they are too lazy even to write 'and'. Instead, they write 'nd'. Some others even attempt to abbreviate two-letter words (in such ridiculous ways). Imagine someone trying to abbreviate 'Hi' by writing 'Hy'. God help us!

2 Likes

Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by stuff46(m): 6:55pm On Apr 24, 2015
So far i just think nothing is coming out of here. Though, opinions are flowing.

The section would be restored to its old self, but it will take a whole lot of hands and time.

1 Like

Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by EfemenaXY: 1:07pm On Apr 25, 2015
LarrySun:
True post. Lazy writers abbreviate their narratives; they are too lazy even to write 'and'. Instead, they write 'nd'. Some others even attempt to abbreviate two-letter words (in such ridiculous ways). Imagine someone trying to abbreviate 'Hi' by writing 'Hy'. God help us!

I've got to give it to you for even making the effort to read such write-ups.

The minute I see text-to-speech abbreviations or whatever they're called these days, I immediately lose interest and move on. Such things might be a tad bit forgivable in other sections but definitely not in the Literature section.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by EfemenaXY: 1:09pm On Apr 25, 2015
stuff46:
So far i just think nothing is coming out of here. Though, opinions are flowing.

The section would be restored to its old self, but it will take a whole lot of hands and time.

As far as I'm concerned, these good old times were pre 2012 when we had the likes of Oluchi007, Iceblue and so on gracing the Literature section with their stories / comments. Sure it wasn't a popular place to visit but the standards then were high.

Looks like quality has definitely given way for quantity (traffic). One thing I know for sure is that more competitions should be encouraged / sponsored in this section. When prospective writers see how high the stakes are, they'll automatically up their game without even being told to. I'm thinking of the writers' competition Mazi O. hosted a little over a year ago.

Also, writers need to get off their high horses and learn to accept correction when given. No one gets paid to do it, so the least they can do is learn from it, apply it, and move on, rather than feel hurt.

When critiquing a piece of work, I for example will literally take it apart bit by bit to highlight areas for improvement.
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by stuff46(m): 3:21pm On Apr 25, 2015
EfemenaXY:

As far as I'm concerned, these good old times were pre 2012 when we had the likes of Oluchi007, Iceblue and so on gracing the Literature section with their stories / comments. Sure it wasn't a popular place to visit but the standards then were high.

Looks like quality has definitely given way for quantity (traffic). One thing I know for sure is that more competitions should be encouraged / sponsored in this section. When prospective writers see how high the stakes are, they'll automatically up their game without even being told to. I'm thinking of the writers' competition Mazi O. hosted a little over a year ago.

Also, writers need to get off their high horses and learn to accept correction when given. No one gets paid to do it, so the least they can do is learn from it, apply it, and move on, rather than feel hurt.

When critiquing a piece of work, I for example will literally take it apart bit by bit to highlight areas for improvement.

The one problem with this section is Pliagrism. Every good writer is afraid to loose his work on that. As things are, it's being reducing of late, no much reported cases. If by collective effort want this section to come back as it, we can. Nothing is impossible!
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by flow1759: 7:34pm On Apr 25, 2015
Ishilove:
Welcome back senb.

Yeah, most of the more experienced writers don't post again because of a number of reasons which I'd rather not mention for now because of the sensitivity of my position.

On the area of constructive criticism, I have noticed that many writers here don't take it well. Few writers like Larrysun and Royver take it in good faith, but a lot of others like flow1759 react negatively. I remember the time I, Ihedinobi and EfemenaXY (damn, I miss that lady's stories!) critiqued one of your earliest works, sebonzakurakageyoshi, you laughed and took correction, and since then you have gotten better. Not many writers now will take it because as you well know, I don't mince words when I critique.

I am not perfect, neither do I know all, but with the little one I know, I am very confident.

I on my own part have stopped critiquing because I am tired of being called 'oversabi'.

ishilove!! i am not like that you know?

Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by flow1759: 7:38pm On Apr 25, 2015
Ishilove:
Welcome back senb.

Yeah, most of the more experienced writers don't post again because of a number of reasons which I'd rather not mention for now because of the sensitivity of my position.

On the area of constructive criticism, I have noticed that many writers here don't take it well. Few writers like Larrysun and Royver take it in good faith, but a lot of others like flow1759 react negatively. I remember the time I, Ihedinobi and EfemenaXY (damn, I miss that lady's stories!) critiqued one of your earliest works, sebonzakurakageyoshi, you laughed and took correction, and since then you have gotten better. Not many writers now will take it because as you well know, I don't mince words when I critique.

I am not perfect, neither do I know all, but with the little one I know, I am very confident.

I on my own part have stopped critiquing because I am tired of being called 'oversabi'.

I am not like that you know.

Well, critique me when next.

Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by whitemosquito(f): 7:30am On Apr 26, 2015
stuff46:

Every good writer is afraid to loose his work on that.
What makes a writer good?
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Ishilove: 12:15pm On Apr 26, 2015
We can drop homepage recommendations here www.nairaland.com/2275927/thread-homepage-recommendations

At least that's a step.
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Ishilove: 12:21pm On Apr 26, 2015
EfemenaXY:

Very true about the competition part. It was through a competition that we got to know Royver, Nuges11 and OMA4U.

I remember Royver's entries about angels and one thief that got sucked into the netherworld because he was trailing one widowed mama to steal from her. I was cringing as I read the story cheesy

2 Likes

Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Nuges11(m): 12:46pm On Apr 26, 2015
EfemenaXY:

I know this too well

2 Likes

Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Royver(m): 2:19pm On Apr 26, 2015
Ishilove:

Very true about the competition part. It was through a competition that we got to know Royver, Nuges11 and OMA4U.

I remember Royver's entries about angels and one thief that got sucked into the netherworld because he was trailing one widowed mama to steal from her. I was cringing as I read the story cheesy
grin
And to think you haven't read the concluding part lipsrsealed
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Ishilove: 2:21pm On Apr 26, 2015
Royver:

grin
And to think you haven't read the concluding part lipsrsealed
Where is the concluding part? cheesy
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Royver(m): 2:26pm On Apr 26, 2015
Ishilove:

Where is the concluding part? cheesy
Ahem, got lost,flooded house, soaked manuscripts...long story embarassed
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Ishilove: 2:27pm On Apr 26, 2015
Royver:

Ahem, got lost,flooded house, soaked manuscripts...long story embarassed
You're a storyteller and i am a great listener, so let's have it smiley
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Royver(m): 2:34pm On Apr 26, 2015
Ishilove:

You're a storyteller and i am a great listener, so let's have it smiley
grin
no time for detailed gist
Long story short, some careless fellow (yours truly)left the bathroom tap on and went to work. Came back to see a miniature of The great flood in my house, minus noah's ark. soaked and blurred my ancient scripts to a soggy mess and I had to throw the whole stuff out.
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Ishilove: 2:36pm On Apr 26, 2015
Royver:

grin
no time for detailed gist
Long story short, some careless fellow (yours truly)left the bathroom tap on and went to work. Came back to see a miniature of The great flood in my house, minus noah's ark. soaked and blurred my ancient scripts to a soggy mess and I had to throw the whole stuff out.
Awwwww cry
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by Nobody: 6:18pm On Apr 26, 2015
Ishilove:

Awwwww cry
embarassedGood afternoon ishilove.
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by OMA4U(m): 6:49pm On Apr 26, 2015
Ishilove:

Wow! Nairaland Literature Section! So these men are still around and they choose to keep their critiquing eyes and hands fallow. Anyway, I greet you all.

I hope something productive will come out of this. Madam Ishilove, thanks for the mention and everyone who has contributed to this. God bless you all.

1 Like

Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by D9ty7(m): 6:51pm On Apr 26, 2015
OMA4U:

Wow! Nairaland Literature Section! So these men are still around and they choose to keep their critiquing eyes and hands fallow. Anyway, I greet you all.

I hope something productive will come out of this. Madam Ishilove, thanks for the mention and everyone who has contributed to this. God bless you all.
Prof, good evening. Where have you been? And what the hell happened to Patron of matrimony?
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by OMA4U(m): 7:00pm On Apr 26, 2015
D9ty7:

Prof, good evening. Where have you been? And what the hell happened to Patron of matrimony?

Prof ke? Nooo. It's school wahala. How have you been doing, sir? I love your contributions.

And eh, Patron of Matrimony, I will continue when the 'change' begin to manifest. I, too, am tired of 'you are good', 'ride on'.
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by EfemenaXY: 8:39pm On Apr 26, 2015
OMA4U:

Prof ke? Nooo. It's school wahala. How have you been doing, sir? I love your contributions.

And eh, Patron of Matrimony, I will continue when the 'change' begin to manifest. I, too, am tired of 'you are good', 'ride on'.

grin grin
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by stuff46(m): 10:11pm On Apr 26, 2015
whitemosquito:
What makes a writer good?

Every one is a writer but YOU are a good writer. grin
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 7:19am On Apr 27, 2015
@ Ishilove

There is an issue with your thread for frontpage requests.

Ishilove:

Criteria For Making The Homepage
Sex scenes should not be too explicit, because we don't want to be accused of corrupting the innocent minds of the younger Nairalanders. Stories with excessive sexually explicit content will be moved to the Sexuality section and will not be considered for homepage.

You said that threads with too much explicit sexxual imagery will not make frontpage and will be sectioned to the sexuality section.

How much sexxual imagery is too much in a literary work? What would criteria would you use to make sure that you and other mods would stoop to a subjective measurement "excessive sexually explicit content"?

cc senbonzakurakageyoshi, Ishilove, Standd, Laykorn, joseph1832
Re: The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 7:21am On Apr 27, 2015
Also what do you mean by updates?

Ishilove:

Criteria For Making The Homepage
The story has to have at least three long updates or six short updates before it can be considered for the home page.[/i]

I would be grateful if you could explain. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

A Dilation Of Toke Makinwa’s ‘on Becoming’ - Ibukunwrites / My Sweet And Lovely House Boy (part 2) / Bad Spread (An Awareness Fiction Story on Ebola Virus)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.