Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,879 members, 7,802,842 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:01 PM

Who Says Nigerians/africans Cannot Be Creative And Build From Scratch - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Who Says Nigerians/africans Cannot Be Creative And Build From Scratch (20486 Views)

Should I Build From Scratch Or Use A Framework? / Lets Build An App Together From Scratch.... Who's In? / Can Blog Be Develope From Scratch Without The Use Of Wp Or Blogger? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Says Nigerians/africans Cannot Be Creative And Build From Scratch by chiemmaxy2(m): 12:06pm On Apr 25, 2015
Ah. Dis thread sef na advert thread sef.
Re: Who Says Nigerians/africans Cannot Be Creative And Build From Scratch by ekenetheorg(m): 12:07pm On Apr 25, 2015
koyyess:
Except someone comes to derail this thread, this thread has an 80% chance of dying a natural death. Reason?, negroes easily develop headaches as far as development and technological advancement is concerned. Most are afraid of change.But when it comes to women and marriage, they get exited. The number of pages on threads concerning women and marriage should tell you the priority of a typical black. Sorry op. If you doubt,ask those few black geniuses abroad who decided not to return.

You are right, but just like what we are debating here, that truly Nigerians can build from scratch. Some people think building from scratch starts from developing the hardware and then going forward to develop an OS and then the software. Some do not understand fully that you can build from scratch by not trying to customise an already existing app like BBPress or Simple Machine Forum, but taking up a project of developing it from grassroot which is merely designing and programming without a bit knowledge of hardware.
And as a result, they believe that we cannot build from scratch.

So, you are right again, but there are tech-savvy people here too who don't give a damn about Tonto Dike or Kim Kardashian. They are just enough to sustain this thread
Re: Who Says Nigerians/africans Cannot Be Creative And Build From Scratch by chiemmaxy2(m): 12:08pm On Apr 25, 2015
Well african programmers. With time d world go hear ma name . Our names I mean.

1 Like

Re: Who Says Nigerians/africans Cannot Be Creative And Build From Scratch by ekenetheorg(m): 12:10pm On Apr 25, 2015
Porthable:
if u think nigerians have not done enough, check innovations like nairaland.com, ngfeeds.com, jumia among others then re write the thread
We have done enough, but again the point is building from scratch. And also, that we should focus on fighting poverty and creating an environment where our children can innovate, not us.
And to add to it, nairaland wasn't built from scratch (with all due respect)
Re: Who Says Nigerians/africans Cannot Be Creative And Build From Scratch by ekenetheorg(m): 12:14pm On Apr 25, 2015
akigbemaru:
Why Africans cannot build from the scratches? No technology from the scratch just copy-cat from the other.
I know a site built from scratch and it provides good service. 1 is , another is ogavenue.com.ng
They could be copycat but they built from scratch and we have the technology. The only problem could be starting a business from the internet without adequate fund, which the government and investors ain't helping us with
Re: Who Says Nigerians/africans Cannot Be Creative And Build From Scratch by ekenetheorg(m): 12:15pm On Apr 25, 2015
moderatorr1:
Techcabal refused to talk about our software after submitting articles to them. And contacting each of them one on one by email
why would they come to say Nigerians can't build from scratch again?
we built from scratch - a social network.
And have been running for 3,years now.
www.Brainterm.org

sorry for the misrepresentation, TechCabal did not say. someone said that in a post on their forum. Your opinion does not represent that of Seun of Nairaland, even if you use the Nairaland platform to say it
Re: Who Says Nigerians/africans Cannot Be Creative And Build From Scratch by ekenetheorg(m): 12:18pm On Apr 25, 2015
abubaka101:

All technology builds on previous advancements. There were no motocycles prior to the 20th century. And when they came, it was merely about putting an engine in a bicycle.
There would have been no Google, Facebook or Youtube if somebody hadn't innovated the computer from what being merely a business machine.
So innovations begat innovations. Things aren't truly created from scratch.

Things aren't truly created from scratch, True. But in our field, we create from scratch if you started the project from creating textfiles with majority of the script your own and not customising a public project to suit you. So, things are created from scratch. Some web designers build from scratch, some programmers do too. But maybe if I just installed wordpress site for you and customised it, I did not build from scratch
Re: Who Says Nigerians/africans Cannot Be Creative And Build From Scratch by ekenetheorg(m): 12:26pm On Apr 25, 2015
pak:

Nicely put
People like the OP are actually the reason why we are backward.
Technology itself is about building on the strides of previous achievements.
It's about providing solutions in the best and most efficient way not about proving a point

You still got it wrong, what if I just wanted to prove a point to them? Can't someone try to prove a point again? Or must it always be about building on the strides of previous achievements or providing solutions in the best and most efficient way not about proving a point?

I just needed to see stuffs built from scratch in Nigeria/Africa and it seems you misunderstand what "Building from scratch" means.

It does not mean you build hardware, Operating system and then the software itself and if possible the programming language. Check what building from scratch is again.

With your understanding of scratch, maybe Facebook should have started with its own browser before the facebookcom website.

Go Troll someone else please
Re: Who Says Nigerians/africans Cannot Be Creative And Build From Scratch by ekenetheorg(m): 12:31pm On Apr 25, 2015
chiemmaxy2:
Ah. Dis thread sef na advert thread sef.
Maybe I go delete the advert part so you can say something better. I'm doing that already. I will be waiting for a constructive essay from you
Re: Who Says Nigerians/africans Cannot Be Creative And Build From Scratch by ekenetheorg(m): 12:32pm On Apr 25, 2015
JSmart4u:

lolz nah wetin i also suspect ooo
Maybe I go delete the advert part so you can say something better. I'm doing that already. I will be waiting for a constructive essay from you
Re: Who Says Nigerians/africans Cannot Be Creative And Build From Scratch by ekenetheorg(m): 12:34pm On Apr 25, 2015
I wanted to remove the concluding part since 2 or 3 persons suspect it's advert, but unfortunately, I can't modify the post again. Thanks and just overlook the link and focus on the subject
Re: Who Says Nigerians/africans Cannot Be Creative And Build From Scratch by ZinoFego: 12:41pm On Apr 25, 2015
Ok. You are probably right but in our age, what I mentioned (internet connection and power) is integral part of our now daily life. I do not think the creators of the past you referred had internet connections or modern days gadgets that require huge amount of power supply.

Can you imagine a few years ago how possible for you and someone else somewhere could be having a conversation without even knowing the person or the possibility of ever meeting the person?

Practically, everything today is hooked to the internet and power supply.

The world has changed, let's move with time.

ekenetheorg:

I think creators of the past have less than you have now, and yet they were able to create and invent. forget Govt and do what you can

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Multi-Player Whot & Ludo Game For Phones: Please Help Us Test This App / Viewing And Creating Reports In Java - Share Ur Experiences / So You Want To Be A Programmer...?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.