Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,033 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:46 AM

Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? (23009 Views)

Interesting Facts About The Igbo People / The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People / Marriage between Yoruba And Igbo people On The Rise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 9:46pm On Sep 19, 2011
Obiagu1:

This MsDarkSkin is really a nutjob!

Tribal mixture in Nigeria is not up to 2% not to talk of European mixture or some other imaginary mixture.
So could that explains the near equal proportion of light and dark skinned Igbos

Some goons have to get it into their dull brains that being African does not mean being as dark as South Sudanese. Just like some ethnic groups are darker than others, some are lighter than others and Igbos happen to be among those with the highest proportion of light skinned people in sub-Saharan Africa.

I wonder how someone that's not Igbo will come here and tell us we are mixed. Mixed with who?

go fucck yourself. i have to be igbo to KNOW all about or have an opinion on igbos? are you that dense? does one have to be african american to study african american history? again FUCCK YOURSELF.

the conversation is over and even if it were to proceed there is NO reason to disrespect me by calling me names. fuccking idi0t.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by ababda: 9:50pm On Sep 19, 2011
Obiagu1:

This MsDarkSkin is really a nutjob!

Tribal mixture in Nigeria is not up to 2% not to talk of European mixture or some other imaginary mixture.
So could that explains the near equal proportion of light and dark skinned Igbos

Some goons have to get it into their dull brains that being African does not mean being as dark as South Sudanese. Just like some ethnic groups are darker than others, some are lighter than others and Igbos happen to be among those with the highest proportion of light skinned people in sub-Saharan Africa.

I wonder how someone that's not Igbo will come here and tell us we are mixed. Mixed with who?

I totally agree with your segments, As a outsiders it is better to speak less rather than add your input, or come off as a know it all, because she don't know nor take the time to do the research, yet she knows better than the eastern Nigerian on here, which is rather ignorant from her part!
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by ababda: 9:53pm On Sep 19, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

go fucck yourself. i have to be igbo to KNOW all about or have an opinion on igbos? are you that dense? does one have to be african american to study african american history? again FUCCK YOURSELF.

the conversation is over and even if it were to proceed there is NO reason to disrespect me by calling me names. fuccking idi0t.

He simply call you what you are, Dear! Is it necessary to use profanity like a common street walker, I thought you were better than that!
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 10:33pm On Sep 19, 2011
ababda:

He simply call you what you are, Dear! Is it necessary to use profanity like a common street walker, I thought you was better than that!

mind your business and your grammar.
i dont care about sharing sentiments or anything like that.
i was not talking to you and for you to support name calling you are just as pathetic.
who gives a bleep if i am igbo or not? its my opinion and that's the bottom line.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by ababda: 11:16pm On Sep 19, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

mind your business and your grammar.
i dont care about sharing sentiments or anything like that.
i was not talking to you and for you to support name calling you are just as pathetic.
who gives a bleep if i am igbo or not? its my opinion and that's the bottom line.

Indeed, it is your opinion, which is not based on facts. Therefore, Let the igbos tell their story, and you sit back and listen instead of you trying to tell them who they are!
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by saiyaman: 11:59pm On Sep 19, 2011
Wow this is getting hot shocked
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 12:03am On Sep 20, 2011
MzDarkSkin, this is how they are. dont let them intimidate you grin

BTW, I thought you said your ancestors were Igbos? Thatz when you first came on NL.

i doubt Igbos are mixed tho. Fulanis have more light people than Igbos, and they're not mixed.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 1:08am On Sep 20, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

MzDarkSkin, this is how they are. dont let them intimidate you grin

BTW, I thought you said your ancestors were Igbos? Thatz when you first came on NL.

i doubt Igbos are mixed tho. Fulanis have more light people than Igbos, and they're not mixed.

well i thought so. i really did but theres no evidence really that
i am of igbo descent.  smiley.

we only kept a few of their words in our patois but other than that, i see more resemblance and a connection with central africa and ghana in jamaica than our igbo ancestors.

fulanis not being mixed. . .no comment  tongue if i do, next thing you know more cry babies will fill this thread. tongue

as for intimidating me, not a soul on nl can or will intimidate me, they'll only [size=18pt]annoy[/size]grin
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Obiagu1(m): 2:55am On Sep 20, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

Now you got my point. You don't have to vehemently defend what you know nothing about; it makes you look silly!
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by saiyaman: 3:55am On Sep 20, 2011
Obiagu1:

Now you got my point. You don't have to vehemently defend what you know nothing about; it makes you look silly!

Oh snap shocked
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 12:39am On Jan 07, 2012
@topic before i was rudely btched @ by manbtches!! cheesy cheesy

yes. most igbos i've seen are dark. in fact aside from a FEW ppl i've seen in nollywood movies and Sexkillz  grin
all igbo's i've seen were dark.

so like i was saying!

i think a lot of the light ones are mixed.  grin grin
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by ezeagu(m): 12:54am On Jan 07, 2012
Mixed with what? You are aware that there isn't a separate population that is light and another dark?
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by tpia5: 1:10am On Jan 07, 2012
Its possible the number of light skinned igbos may be decreasing though i cant say for sure.

But there just doesnt seem to be that many compared to before.

I could be wrong of course.

I also noticed even people who are like quarter white (with one biracial parent) often have kids who look unmixed.

in general, some black people's lightness comes from non-black admixture, some comes from albinoid gene, while other types of our lightness comes from skin lightening cream same way we see blondes everywhere overseas.

So, i'm not really sure what's going on or if its my imagination that i'm observing.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by tpia5: 1:11am On Jan 07, 2012
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by babsjnr(m): 1:29am On Jan 16, 2012
Less efficient of vitamin d3 that make some igbo people have a light skin.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by babsjnr(m): 1:50am On Jan 16, 2012
I laugh at some negro claiming yoruba have arab roots and d igbo have jews that's bullsh*t scientists have proved that the first human race on earth are dark skin black from africa that like ape. White,arab chinese still carry africa genetic.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by beautifulOnyi: 12:22pm On Jul 24, 2012
I'm sick & tired of this argument. Here is my 2 cents:
Let's face it, the igbos have the highest percentage of light-skinned people in southern nigeria. If u pick 10 light-skinned southern nigerians, 6 of them are igbos. Edo, efik\ibibio and rivers people also have a lot of light-skinned people, but they are a minority tribe so thus do not have a high populace.
There are a lot of dark-skinned igbo people too, but it is a fact in nigeria that once you are fair-skinned, you are assumed to be igbo until proven other-wise. This is a fact. It has nothing to do with pride, it is not a big deal to be fair, it does not mean you are more superior to others, that's just how we were created.

The typical appearance of an igbo girl is this: light-skinned, long hair (sometimes black, sometimes light-brown), pointed nose, some have hazel eyes, few have green/ grey eyes.

Let us look at the igbo beauty queens we've had in nigeria:

1) Bianca Onoh-Ojukwu- very light-skinned with european features but 100% igbo
2) Sabina Umeh- a little dark-skinned with european feature but 100% igbo
3) Chinenye Ochuba- medium light-skinned, european features 100% igbo
4) Nwando okwuosa- dark skinned
5) Munachi Abii- very light-skinned
6) Adaeze Igwe- very light-skinned
7) Glory chuku- a little dark-skinned
cool Fiona amuzie-light skinned
9) Sylvia Nduka- a little dark skinned

Out of 9, 5 are light-skinned. Infact, out of all the light-skinned non-mixed beauty queens we've had in nigeria, the only ones that are not igbo are: helen prest- delta, sylvia edem- efik, regina askia- efik, anita uwagbale- edo. The minority tribes I previously mentioned. Abiola bashorun being the only yoruba one.

Let's look @ nigerian actresses: the light skinned ones are: monalisa- igbo, oge okoye- igbo, omotola- yoruba, tonto dikeh- rivers igbo, stella damasus- rivers igbo, benita nzeribe- igbo, nse ikpe- efik, hilda dokubo- rivers, nuella njuigbo- igbo, rita dominic- igbo, nkiru sylvanus- igbo, rita nzelu- igbo, etc

I attended the university of lagos. In my class, we had about 44 girls: 25 yoruba, 10 igbo, 4 edo, 3 urhobo-isoko, 1 itshekiri, 1 kalabari (rivers). There are only 6 light-skinned yoruba girls out of the 25, 8 lightskinned igbo girls out of the 10, 3 of the edo girls are light-skinned out of the 4, and the only Kalabari girl in my class is light-skinned. Infact the 2 lightest skinned people in my class are igbo.

To avoid over-flogging the issue, I've come to the conclusion that, most igbo people may not be light-skinned, but most light-skinned southern nigerians are igbo.

I rest my case. Gbam!!!

1 Like

Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Obiobi8(m): 3:15am On Jan 20, 2016
ezeagu:
I know posts like this have been posted to death on NL, but are there really that much Igbo people that have 'light skin'? Whenever I go to the east, all I see are dark people and I would say about 1/20 are light, give or take. So is it exaggerated? Post your thoughts please.

Igbo people come in a million different colours..
In my family there are 6 people and we have 6 different skin colours..

"Light skin" is just an arbitrary term, if you don't have a unit of measure or a scale you can't determine how light light skin is..

In my own experience I've noticed that the range of skin colours of Yourubber and Awusa people is more homogenous and less varied and the range of skin colours of Igbo people is more varied..

Fulani people also have some more variation especially from Adamawa and Taraba but maybe not as much as Igbo..

When people say: "Igbo people are light skin" they are making a false claim..

The correct way to put it is "Igbo people are varied in colour or Igbo people are colourful"..

Doesn't mean that others are not varied, but as far as I've noticed, Igbo people are far more varied..
You will hardly find 10 Igbo people all in one colour..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Names Of Past And Present Attah Igala / NGWA PEOPLE: Are They Really Cannibals? / The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.