Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,275 members, 7,780,624 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:53 PM

Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) (9713 Views)

Ramadan: With Which Soul Will You Meet The Guest? / Eman Booster To Nourish Your Soul / What Happens To The Soul Of A Dead Person (at The Initial Stage) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) by AlBaqir(m): 3:03pm On Apr 23, 2015
Anger (ghadhab)
…Those who spend (freely) whether in prosperity or in adversity; who restrain their anger and pardon men; And Allah loves those who do good {Qur'an, 3: 134}

Imam Ja’far al-Sadiq (as) said: "Anger is the key (that opens the door) to all kinds of vices." {Al‑Kulayni, al‑Kafi, vol. 2, p. 303, hadith # 3}

It is narrated from Imam Ja'far al‑Sadiq (as) that he heard his father Imam al‑Baqir (as), as saying: "A bedouin came to the Prophet (peace be upon him and his household) and said: `I live in the desert. Teach me the essence of wisdom.' Thereupon the Prophet said to him: `I command you not to get angry'.

After repeating his question thrice (and hearing the same reply from the Prophet every time) the bedouin said to himself: `After this I will not ask any question, since the Apostle of God (peace be upon him and his household) does not command anything but good'..."
[Al‑Kulayni, al‑Kafi, vol. 2, p. 303, hadith # 4]

Reality of Anger
Anger is a psychological state that results from inner agitation and desire for revenge.

And when this agitation becomes more violent, it intensifies the fire of anger. A violent commotion engulfs ones brain on account of which the mind and the intellect lose control and become powerless. At that time, the inner state of a person resembles a cave where fire has broken out, filling it with flames and suffocating clouds of smoke that leap out of its mouth with intense heat and a fiery howl. When that happens, it becomes extremely difficult to pacify such a person and to extinguish the fire of his wrath; whatever is thrown in it to cool it down becomes a part of it, adding to its intensity.

It is for this reason that such a person becomes blind and deaf to guidance and good etiquettes. In such a condition, all such efforts as counsel, advice, and exhortation fail to appease the person.

The more one tries to pacify it through humble requests and efforts, the more violent it becomes until the angry person physically harms someone or seeks revenge.

* Imam Al‑Baqir (as) said: “..Indeed, this anger is a spark lit by Satan in the heart of the son of Adam..” [Al‑Kulayni, al‑Kafi, vol. 2, p. 304, hadith # 12]

The Devastating Effects and Consequences of Anger
* A person given to anger behaves unreasonably like a lunatic without rationally considering the outcome of his actions. He commits ugly and indecent acts and his tongue, limbs, and body go out of his control.

* Anger may lead one to use abusive language against the prophets of God and His awliya'. It may lead one to desecrate sanctities and utter slanders about venerable persons, murder a pious or innocent soul, wreck the lives of creatures of God, destroy a family, or reveal the secrets of others tearing up the veils that cover them. There is no limit to such cruel and oppressive acts that a person can commit at the time of outbreak of faith‑consuming fire of anger that can destroy many homes indeed an entire society.

* As to the moral hazards, anger may cause malice towards creatures of God, leading sometimes even to the enmity not only of prophets and awliya', but also of the Holy Essence of God, the Nourisher. It may also give rise to other vices, such as hasad (envy), hidden enmity and uncontrolled and unjust revenge.

* The similitude of anger in this world is the fire of Divine Wrath in the hereafter. In the same way that anger emanates from the heart, perhaps spiritual reality of this anger is the fire of Divine Wrath that also emanates from the inner depths of the heart and spread over the external being, and whose tormenting flames emerge from external organs such as the eyes, the ears, and the tongue.

* Anger that becomes a permanent part of one's nature, it is more catastrophic. It deadened ones heart, renders it merciless and affects the faculty of wisdom. The form that such a state shall acquire in the barzakh and on the Day of Resurrection will be a beastly form that has no match in this world; for the brutality of the person in this state cannot be compared with any of the ferocious beasts.

Imam Ali (a) said: “Protect yourself from anger for its beginning is insanity and its end is remorse.” [Al-Amidi, Gharar ul-Hikam wa darar ul-Kalim, hadith # 2635]

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) by AlBaqir(m): 3:05pm On Apr 23, 2015
The Attribute of Controlling Anger
* The behaviour of a courageous person is based on wisdom and serenity of soul. He gets angry on proper occasion and is patient and restrained. His anger is to the proper extent and if he takes revenge, it is with reason and discretion. He knows well as to whom he should forgive and what to overlook and ignore.

* The anger of a true believer is for the sake of God. In the state of anger, he keeps in mind his duties, rights of creatures and never oppresses anyone. He neither makes the use of indecent language nor acts indiscreetly. All his acts are based on rational considerations and are in accordance with the norms of justice and Divine laws. He always acts in a way that he will not regret his actions later on.

# Imam Ali (a) said: “The most powerful person is the one who is victorious over his anger with his forbearance.” [Al-Rayshahri, Mizan al-Hikmah, hadith # 15027]

# Imam Ja’far al-Sadiq (a) said: “One who retrains his anger (towards someone), God will cover his secrets.” [Al-Majlisi, Bihar al-Anwar vol. 73, p. 264 hadith # 11]

When Anger is Provoked
One of the practical remedies of anger when it is provoked is to restrain it and calm it down in the earlier phase when one’s intellect is still in control.

* Imam al-Baqir (as) said:“Whosoever is angry with someone let him sit down immediately if he is standing; for, indeed, doing so will repel from him the uncleanliness of Satan. And whoever gets angry with his family member let him approach and (gently) touch him; for the feeling of family affiliation, when stimulated by touch, induces calmness.” [Al‑Kulayni, al‑Kafi, vol. 2, p 302, hadith # 2]

Advice to Cure Anger
* A person with the habit of often getting angry should know that anger is the faculty that is granted by God Almighty for the sake of the preservation, continuity and survival of human species and for the discipline and order of the family system, protection of human rights and safeguarding Divine laws.

If he acts contrary to this divine purpose and makes use of power of anger against the design of God, it will be a breach of trust that deserves severe punishment from Him. What an act of ignorance and injustice it is not to live up to Divine trust and to incur His Wrath! He should therefore seriously think about the moral vices and vicious deeds that are the outcome of anger, and try to remove their evil effects, each one of which is capable of afflicting a person till eternity, causing many problems in this world as well as punishment in the Hereafter.

* Among the fundamental remedies of anger is to get rid of the factors responsible for its provocation. These factors include self‑love, which in turn causes love of wealth, glory, and honour, and the desire to impose one's will and expand one's domain of power on the creatures of God. These inherently excite the fire of anger, as the individual infatuated with them tends to hold them in high regard. When someone loves these things, he gets excited and angry if any one of his aspired goals is not achieved.
Another factor that sometimes arouses anger is that it is imagined to be a merit and confused with bravery due to one’s ignorance. Anger is thus the product of spiritual weakness, insufficiency of faith,
immoderation of character and soul.

* A wise person thinks carefully of the evil consequences of anger and the benefits of
restraint, thus making it incumbent upon himself to stamp out this fire from his heart with every possible effort. He clears from his heart the love of wealth, honour and the like that provoke his anger. If he resolves to act against his inner self and its worldly desires, with the help and blessings of God, his attachment becomes less intense and he gives lesser importance to them. His inner calm and contentment, caused by giving up the love of wealth, honour and the like, will not allow his self to act unjustly. Gradually, he will not lose the grip of self‑restraint at times when anger is provoked in his heart.

Finally, he will achieve complete control over his anger. {Adapted from Al-Khomeini, Forty Hadith, chapter 7, ‘Ghadhab’}

Conclusion
* Imam Ja’far al-Sadiq (as) said: “A mu’min (believer) is the person who when angered, his anger doesn’t lead him away from that which is true...” [Al-Kulayni, al-Kafi, vol. 2, p. 186, hadith # 11]

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) by ademony(m): 7:05am On Apr 24, 2015
Audhu billahi min dhalik

1 Like

Re: Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) by Sadiq3051(m): 7:53am On Apr 24, 2015
masha Allah @ op

1 Like

Re: Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) by MKO4ever(m): 11:48am On Apr 24, 2015
He who angers conquers you!!!

2 Likes

Re: Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) by Diamondamsel(f): 11:52am On Apr 24, 2015
The holy prophet (SAW) said, if u ar angry, sit down, if while sitting, u ar still feeling d anger, then lie down...... Anger leads to destruction, lets be beware of it

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) by siino(m): 11:53am On Apr 24, 2015
Jazakallahu Khair
Re: Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) by Nobody: 11:53am On Apr 24, 2015
Barca vs bayern muchen. Chai c match!!!
Re: Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) by MKO4ever(m): 11:56am On Apr 24, 2015
Diamondamsel:
The holy prophet (SAW) said, if u ar angry, sit down, if while sitting, u ar still feeling d anger, then lie down...... Anger leads to destruction, lets be beware of it

When I am angry, I just get a chill orijin and before I finish one bottle, the anger usually disappears
Re: Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) by Diamondamsel(f): 11:59am On Apr 24, 2015
MKO4ever:

When I am angry, I just get a chill orijin and before I finish one bottle, the anger usually disappears
lol, u r 4ny........ Well, wu am i to stop u if dt is wht ur religion teaches u

4 Likes

Re: Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) by idee91: 12:02pm On Apr 24, 2015
May Allah suppress our anger at times of trial, cos anger is difficult to control in times of trial.

1 Like

Re: Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) by kheart(m): 12:03pm On Apr 24, 2015
Booker
Re: Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) by youngberry001(m): 12:05pm On Apr 24, 2015
sweetorgasm:
Barca vs bayern muchen. Chai c match!!!
u dey craze abi here resemble sport forum....#mchewwwwww

1 Like

Re: Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) by tintingz(m): 12:16pm On Apr 24, 2015
Nice write up, jazakallah kaira. smiley

I don't get angry that easily. smiley
Re: Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) by Adehakeema: 12:41pm On Apr 24, 2015
Alhamdulillah for this piece. Actions from angry person is like that of mad man but the end result is regret.
Let's try to control that madness in us so as not to live the life of regret.
Re: Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) by Rilwayne001: 12:51pm On Apr 24, 2015
Jazakumullahu Kairan @OP.

I get angry so easily before. But I've learnt my lesson after almost hurt maself with it some 2years ago.
Re: Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) by jamislaw(m): 12:53pm On Apr 24, 2015
I hardly get angry, but when iam is realy catastrophy.
Re: Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) by eluquenson(m): 12:57pm On Apr 24, 2015
Alhamdullilahi
Jazakallu khairan
Re: Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) by MKO4ever(m): 1:01pm On Apr 24, 2015
Diamondamsel:

lol, u r 4ny........ Well, wu am i to stop u if dt is wht ur religion teaches u

I am a muslim, but I'm not perfect enough to adhere to every teachings in islam

1 Like

Re: Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) by kennytommy: 1:07pm On Apr 24, 2015
nice one may Almighty Allah reward u abundantly for u just touched someone soul with ur words....mon sha Allah

1 Like

Re: Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) by shadownetinc: 1:08pm On Apr 24, 2015
Good Lesson! FP this month sha
Re: Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) by Davivah: 1:11pm On Apr 24, 2015
Jazakallahu khair@op
Re: Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) by kingwhiz(m): 2:16pm On Apr 24, 2015
MKO4ever:

may Allah subhanna Wa tahallah help you get closer to perfection of faith...
I am not perfect myself but I hope and pray I will before my death....

but please.... start with being shy and feeling remorse for whatever sin you commit.... insha Allah you will feel changes happen in your soul and life....
Re: Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) by Diamondamsel(f): 2:35pm On Apr 24, 2015
MKO4ever:

like seriously, u ar a muslim? Then i pray almighty Allah ease dz religion 4 u
Re: Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) by Shittuakeem(m): 4:21pm On Apr 24, 2015
may he give us the strength to conquer anger.......Allah the all hear
Re: Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) by yusufbida(m): 4:50pm On Apr 24, 2015
MKO4ever:

U will adhere to d teachings by d time u enter GRAVE.
Nonsense u dot sound as a muslim at all.
Re: Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) by MKO4ever(m): 6:00pm On Apr 24, 2015
yusufbida:
U will adhere to d teachings by d time u enter GRAVE.
Nonsense u dot sound as a muslim at all.

Swear that you are perfect and without any sin. I'm sorry to say, but you sound to me like hediot
Re: Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) by MKO4ever(m): 6:04pm On Apr 24, 2015
kingwhiz:

may Allah subhanna Wa tahallah help you get closer to perfection of faith...
I am not perfect myself but I hope and pray I will before my death....

but please.... start with being shy and feeling remorse for whatever sin you commit.... insha Allah you will feel changes happen in your soul and life....

I agree with you completely, and am also hoping and praying to get more committed to him

1 Like

Re: Disease Of the Soul: Anger (Ghadhab) by yusufbida(m): 6:05pm On Apr 24, 2015
MKO4ever:

Swear that you are perfect and without any sin. I'm sorry to say, but you sound to me like hediot
Jazakum lahu akhaira.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Du'a When Stopping Or Lodging Somewhere / Your Menses And Ramadan / Eid-ul-adha Preparation: How Much Is Udiyah/Qurbani Near You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.