Stats: 3,148,881 members, 7,802,847 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:12 PM

Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? (25420 Views)

ED / Herbal Tea That Cures Erectile dysfunctions: Premature Expulsion, Weak Organ,Etc / Can Excercise Really Cause Weight Loss. (2) (3) (4)

Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by Adesiji77: 8:43pm On Apr 23, 2015
You may not think that common household products can cause erectile dysfunction but there is evidence to suggest that certain chemicals may do just that. VICTOR OKEKE writes.

While singing in the shower, have you ever stopped to think that the soap you’re using may be affecting your erections? Probably not, but the truth is that chemicals common in many antibacterial soaps may affect your ability to produce or maintain an erection.

Benefits largely unproven

Many of us fear the unseen bacteria lurking almost everywhere. Because of this, we often look for “antibacterial” labels on products while shopping in the hope of keeping ourselves and our children healthy. Much of this fear has been created by the producers of these commercial goods, with advertising insisting that we need these products to avoid becoming ill. The truth of the matter is that the benefits of using antibacterial products are largely unproven, according to a statement by the US Federal Drug Administration (FDA).

Manufacturers need to add certain chemicals during the production process to make products “antibacterial”. Such chemicals can be found in many consumer products such as soap, toothpaste, kitchenware and even toys, but may actually be more harmful than we think.

Triclosan is one of the chemicals used for antibacterial properties. Beyond Pesticide explains that it is predominantly absorbed through the skin, from soap, body washes and lotions or through the lining of the mouth, from toothpaste or food exposed to the chemical.

It has been linked to an increased risk of allergies, eczema and asthma in children. It is also considered to be a potential endocrine disruptor. This means that research has indicated that it could potentially affect hormone functioning in the human body.

Bacterial resistance to triclosan has been shown during research although further studies are needed to show what effect it would have on bacterial resistance in a normal environment, The Encyclopaedia of Earth explains. The FDA states that certain antibacterial ingredients such as triclosan may actually be linked to bacterial resistance to antibiotics.

Triclosan and male sexual health

The results of 2008 study published in the Oxford Journal of Toxicology Sciences, suggest that exposure to Triclosan can affect certain hormone levels. The study exposed rats to triclosan at a concentration of 5ml per 100g body mass. The researchers found that the rats exposed to triclosan had significantly lower testosterone levels than the control group.

Another study into rats conducted by The Indian Institute of Technology’s Department of Biotechnology showed that exposure to triclosan over a 60 day period resulted in lower sperm production.

While researchers are yet to conduct similar studies in humans, experts are advocating the removal of triclosan from consumer products because of the multiple risks it could pose to our health.

What effects can lower testosterone have?

Testosterone is the main male sex hormone and is responsible for sexual function. Low testosterone levels can have a number of effects on a man. Some symptoms are poor sleep, irritability, depressed mood, poor muscle tone and increased body fat, especially around the stomach.

Sexually, it can result in a lower sex drive, shrinking testes, abnormal sperm production and erectile dysfunction.

Should I change my soap?

The FDA is conducting further research into triclosan to determine what effects the chemical could have in humans, so for now, the decision lies with you really.

Legally, manufacturers using triclosan are required to list it as an ingredient on the product’s label. If you are worried about chemicals and your health, simply avoid purchasing products that contain it.

Just as many people are neurotic about germs, it is easy to become similarly anxious about chemicals. Unfortunately in today’s world we simply are exposed to many more chemicals than the generations before us. It is possible to reduce your exposure by adopting an organic lifestyle but even then, chemicals cannot be avoided entirely.

http://leadership.ng/style/427158/could-your-soap-really-cause-erectile-dysfunction

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Apr 23, 2015
This one don use soap self service tire the thing don rebete he no fit stand again grin

First to comment on nairaland just within three days on this site,well ashawo self na virgin for new area.

Back to the op..Stop self Servicing!!

Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by jamex93(m): 8:54pm On Apr 23, 2015
So now we no go dey bath with soap again b dat o

Abi na to go back to salt bath mode ni

No

Water and green soap

That one no get much chemicals to kill john T

Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by yorex2011: 8:54pm On Apr 23, 2015
Front page just now? Incredible shocked
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by uzo4real(m): 8:54pm On Apr 23, 2015
So Educative...

Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by condralbede(m): 8:54pm On Apr 23, 2015
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by CountDracula(m): 8:55pm On Apr 23, 2015
Team #Premier cool no dysfunction
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by tucky200(m): 8:55pm On Apr 23, 2015
Cool...tanx
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by MadCow1: 8:55pm On Apr 23, 2015
Okay
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by jamillion: 8:55pm On Apr 23, 2015
True
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Apr 23, 2015
Summary.com.ng ahbeg come summarize thz for me grin grin grin

Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by kindnyce(m): 8:55pm On Apr 23, 2015
NAH,EXCEPT THAT SOAP IS PREPARED UNKNOWINGLY WITH YORUBA LEGENDARY MAGUN grin grin grin

Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by tociano009(m): 8:55pm On Apr 23, 2015
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by mcocolok(m): 8:56pm On Apr 23, 2015
Soapers association of nigeria (SAN) aka mastubators. Una hear?

Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by wman(m): 8:56pm On Apr 23, 2015
Thanks for the info. My 9 inches + must not fail to perform.

For your PC,Android and PSP games,1080p HD movies,T.V series and documentaries, tutorials, downloads of anything you need, check us out at https://www.nairaland.com/1035742/garnet-pc-games-sale-cheapest
We deliver all over Nigeria and we are tested and trusted.
Full catalogue is available at j .mp/adlisting

GTA V, MK X and FIFA 15 now available.
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by chrisbaby24(m): 8:56pm On Apr 23, 2015
Chisos.....u still dey ask....ok continue...
Till ur john thomas no go ever stand again....dey dia dey ask question... grin
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by killjoy(m): 8:56pm On Apr 23, 2015
must u use soap? can't u use Vaseline? groundnut/red oil? saliva? hair/body cream, coconut water or even powder?

don't play with d lyf of ur bulala.

I didn't even read d thread. I just commented.

a quick question... totally unrelated. guys does ur abuna go painfully numb after enjoying lyk three to five orgazms in quick succession do galz feel dsame way ur answers are most welcome.

Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by ichidodo: 8:56pm On Apr 23, 2015
Na kyaantafit soap ah mek mi willy go dung low liak dat?? Mi willy so irate ryte nu im ah mash up plenty pussies..
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by Jeezuzpick(m): 8:57pm On Apr 23, 2015
Scary stuff.

Really scary stuff.

Soap turn me to Missus?
God forbid!

Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by brownlord: 8:57pm On Apr 23, 2015
Self Service Group of Nairaland ( SSGN ) take note.

Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Apr 23, 2015
vaseline crew take note.

Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Apr 23, 2015
Hmmmmm... I think so... if u use all those hausa konji soaps grin... u di..ck will never remain the same undecided angry
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by Goahead(m): 8:58pm On Apr 23, 2015
Informativeangry

Dudu Osun here I come...

Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by Brown1759: 8:58pm On Apr 23, 2015
I dont want believe that
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by DaPhilosopher(m): 8:58pm On Apr 23, 2015
Serious case! How man pikin go do na?

Prayer: God, please don't let me use my money to buy my death....Amen.

Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by jbenchuks: 8:58pm On Apr 23, 2015
i read this up ome years ago, well the info simply made me stop patronising those Anti bacteria soaps, as for my tools its has always been working good.... smiley
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by Nobody: 8:58pm On Apr 23, 2015
Chisos... I wont use soap again
Re: Could Your Soap Really Cause Erectile Dysfunction? by chike4: 8:59pm On Apr 23, 2015
I for comment oo... But am presently in action

Kelechi Uhegwu, Polio Victim Celebrates Birthday With New Pictures / How Often Do You Talk In Your Head? / Ned Nwoko Declares State Of Emergency On Malaria, Insists On Fumigating Nigeria