Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,360 members, 7,800,728 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:45 AM

What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent (133643 Views)

Top Twenty Most Developed Countries By HDI / Jonathan: Nigeria Will Join 20 Most Developed Countries By 2020 / The 5 Most Developed Countries In Africa Are (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by ikeyman00(m): 11:31am On Feb 04, 2009
miquest

I have read through posts on this topic here and have come to the conclusion that nigerians are either ignorant or have just chosen never to be positive about their country,
I have visited ghana so many times and in the course of my last visit they had their elections,  now one of the reasons people in Nigeria think that election was a succes was because their media would never talk bad about their country outside,  but being here and seeing things for myself we all know that the election wasn't fair,  Anyway Nigeria is a role model in africa people who don't know that have never been to other african countries thats y,  If you dont think Nigeria is good enough y do you think the United Nations come to Nigerians for help whenever theirs an african crisis,  Anyway Nigeria isn't the most developed but in my opinion it comes in the top 5,  and mind u, the only developed place in South |Africa is Jo'borg,  see d rest for urself,  So people learn to appreciate your own and protect your House,
BAd belle people too much sef, 

why wasting your time with these big rat pouchers? thats lives in a hut in their village

hmmm they will never know?

as for the so called GPD? u right, sure there are some arab nation that got more money than london (got 1 of the best railnetwork nationwide) but in the term development, hey are they anywhere to being seen!

blah blah nonesense, go home foolsss!
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by harunski(m): 5:17pm On Feb 04, 2009
Please guy's for your Information Nigeria is not better than Angola,i dont knw abt the rest countries bt for this i can bet ma balls.I have been wrking here for the past seven months now and am stil here wrking. Electricity here i think it's the best in Africa,police are number one in Africa i guess u guy's knw that too,the city is wel orgnised.
You guys can ask Uti ( the last edition of BBA) we met here in Angola and he confirmed it.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Nobody: 5:27pm On Feb 04, 2009
i would advise you name the standard you're basing your ratings on before you assign positions to any one country
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by jumobi1(m): 6:25pm On Feb 04, 2009
Morocco is more developed by Nigeria, I lived there,
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by DonPedro21(m): 6:35pm On Feb 04, 2009
The best way to look at development is to calculate the gross per capital income of the countries citizenry.
Get all gross per capital income of each African country and you will be able to rank them accordingly.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by blackspade(m): 6:46pm On Feb 04, 2009
harunski:

Please guy's for your Information Nigeria is not better than Angola,i dont knw abt the rest countries bt for this i can bet ma balls.I have been wrking here for the past seven months now and am stil here wrking. Electricity here i think it's the best in Africa,police are number one in Africa i guess u guy's knw that too,the city is wel orgnised.
You guys can ask Uti ( the last edition of BBA) we met here in Angola and he confirmed it.
Bruv, I believe it, and I agree.

Angola has recorded the fastest growth on the continent these last 5 years, and it's rebuilding process is amazing to put it lightly.

With oil prices going down, growth won't be as fast as these last few years, but with growth in the non-oil sectors, and domestic consumption on the rise, I know Angola will make it.

Their Agricultural campaign is also a great example for Africa. All great economies start off from Agriculture, which boosts industrial production.

In 10 years time, I guarantee you Angola will be amongst the top 5 developed countries in Africa.

btw, do you take pictures when you're in Angola? Looking at your page, I can tell you're in Luanda.

To see the full scope of how fast Angola is growing, you can check this site out. There is also a vast picture gallery, feel free to post pics if you can! cheesy
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by ikeyman00(m): 8:40pm On Feb 04, 2009
good stuff

impressive! shocked
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by FILEBE(m): 8:42pm On Feb 04, 2009
it is true that we have bad leaders in our country but that has not made nigeria underdeveloped,wait fist were is nigera in that list . if u are to show us the list please let us know where nigeria is.
i cant bet my five naira that nigeria is best developed in africa but i sure know that it is a matter of time that NIGERIA,my country will be among the 5 best in the world. just wait and seee
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by MrSisterwm: 10:37pm On Feb 04, 2009
1) Somalia

2) Zimbabwe

3) Guinea

4) Sudan/ Dafur

5) Niger

You want more?

6)Sudan

7) Cameroun

8 )  DR Congo

9) Rwanda

10)Mali

Still want more?

11) Chad

12) Burundi

13) Madagascar

14) Comoros Islands

15)Sierra Leone

And finally,

49) Nigeria

50) Morocco

51) Ghana

52) Egypt

53) South Africa
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Kobojunkie: 10:50pm On Feb 04, 2009
Zimbabwe has to be the worst on my list. Inflation rate in the tens of thousands, and population dying of cholera in high numbers in the years 2009; that country has won the worst country of the 2000's in my book.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by gadogado(m): 11:35pm On Feb 04, 2009
@kobojunkie

why do you think zimbabwe is the worst,yes their currency is now uselsess but i think there may be alot of media over exaggeration when it comes to the reality of zimbabwe.you mugabe is against the west and they control the media so obviously they'll rubbish his administration as much as they can. why do you think african leaders have not said anything,they have not moved in to remove him from power or put that sort of pressure on him? its coz they know the truth behind the matter. its bad there but i think its exaggerated.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by iukpe: 12:27am On Feb 05, 2009
I am not sure I know which country is most developed, but I am sure its not Nigeria.

Development

Systematic use of scientific and technical knowledge to meet specific objectives or requirements.

Extension of the theoretical or practical aspects of a concept, design, discovery, or invention.

Process of economic and social transformation based on complex cultural and environmental factors and their interactions.

Process of adding improvements to life by providing, electricity, drainage, access, roads, utilities, healthcare, rail transport, schools and security.

Personally I have observed that Nigerians feel we are "too much"
That's a good thing, but it should not make us loose the drive to get better. In the real sense, comparing our population to our rate of development I consider we have a long way to go.

If we refer to countries like Ghana, Libya, Egypt, Kenya, South Africa etc I fear that we may add 2 more before Nigeria.

We need to work our way to the top by developing the things that make us "too much"

Human resources, Natural resources and our advantage of almost zero natural disasters or sudden change in geologic conditions.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Kobojunkie: 1:53am On Feb 05, 2009
gadogado:

@kobojunkie

why do you think zimbabwe is the worst,yes their currency is now uselsess but i think there may be alot of media over exaggeration when it comes to the reality of zimbabwe.you mugabe is against the west and they control the media so obviously they'll rubbish his administration as much as they can. why do you think african leaders have not said anything,they have not moved in to remove him from power or put that sort of pressure on him? its coz they know the truth behind the matter. its bad there but i think its exaggerated.

spare me the bull please!! COME ON!!!!!

Currency is useless, and you don't see how that can be very bad for a population? Instead you are telling me tales of how the media is to blame for this? Are you joking? People are dying of cholera in the 100's; 10's of thousands are infected and you are yapping about some media and what not? Did the media infect them with cholera in the year 2009? shocked
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by davidif: 2:35am On Feb 05, 2009
TOP SECRET CLASSIFIED INTEL

Nigeria`s problem is its population,population erodes prosperity,it is easier to provide the highest standard of living to a smaller population than a larger one,and in addition to economic stagnation for over 30yrs caused by imperialist powers through the IMF/worldbank-THEY GOT NIGERIA HOOKED BY THE NECK THROUGH DEBT WITH THE OIL PRICE CRASH IN THE 70`S--they secretly installed and supported Nigerian millitary dictators so that decisions made by them go unchallenged ,made those dictators drag the country into RIDICULOUS DEBT WITH INCREDIBLE RATES-KNOWING FULLY WELL THAT OIL PRICE WOULD NOT HAVE RECOVERED IN TIME FOR THE COUNTRY TO PAY IT BACK,Nigeria subsequently went bankrupt from the 80`s on ( at this point they had the country where they wanted it!!).Their next move was to suck out almost every penny out of the system because the LIVING STANDARD WAS TOO HIGH FOR AN AFRICAN COUNTRY,AND NIGERIANS WERE TOO WASTEFUL. SO THEY MADE THE DICTATORS INTRODUCE THE STRUCTURAL ADJUSTMENT PROGRAM (S.A.P) WHICH DEVASTATED NIGERIA`S FORMERLY HIGH LIVING STANDARDS .civil servants`s salaries were cut,workkers retrenched,public utilities down scaled or totally abondoned, the udoji salary increases repealed and so on.stores such as KINGSWAY,LEVENTIS, DOMINOES, went under,all these reduced the high living standards----ALL THESE CUTS MEANT ALL THE MONIES SAVED WENT INTO THE HAND OF NIGERIA`S NEW HIJACKERS.Almost all the future earnings of oil proceeds went into the hands of the CRIMINAL IMPERIALIST/ ECONOMIC HIJACKERS through the IMF. . .They also orded the country as a secret repayment condition to shut-off other sectors of the economy such as agriculture, mining for 15yrs etc so that their large corporations/companies could easily do bussines and prosper in the, soon Nigeria became dependent on imported foreign goods, while killing the country`s indegonous sectors. NIGERIA IS STILL THE THIRD BIGGEST IMPORTER OF WHEAT FROM THE UNITED STATES. All these really shook Nigeria very hard.
Nigeria is definitely not the only country ravaged by these RABID THIEVES,Venezuela too was hijacked and raped,before the country`s revolution against America which saw the restoration of HUGO CHAVEZ A the rightful president,CHILE too was hijacked,peru,CONGO,
ANGOLA, MAJORITY OF AFRICAN RESOURCE RICH COUNTRIES E.T.C.
THEIR THEORY IS: AS LONG AS YOUR COUNTRY IS NOT WHITE, YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO LIVE PROSPER WITHOUT US!
president Obasnjo really did good for Nigeria by paying off her debt- that alone was a very good rebuilding point.
AMERICA IS NOT AFRICA`S FRIEND!~

aok48
and America caused 9/11, the US didn't land on the moon, and aliens are also waiting to destroy our planet? Also, why don't you include who assassinated JFK. You are funny, we need more conspiracy theorists like you.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by bawomolo(m): 2:40am On Feb 05, 2009
gadogado:

@kobojunkie

The worst inflation since the weimar republic is exaggeration?
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Becomrrich: 9:17am On Feb 05, 2009
the develop countries in africa are, see pictures of the countries ,
http://.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=bfe23167dcf4cf03920d6252c5c412ca&board=57.0

Siuth africa
morocco
algeria
tunisia
libya
ivory coast
senegal
8. Nigeria
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by KnowAll(m): 10:06am On Feb 05, 2009
When a rich man chooses to live in a mud hut, would you blame anybody, statistically Nigeria should be the richest and and most developed. But reality is another thing entirely.

20% of electricity generators made anywhere in the world ends up in nigeria. -That should tell u something. The reason why we do not have constant electricity is because of sabotage. I do not see us having electricity ever except a total change in our mind set. I over heard that Atiku's wife's main business is the importation of Generators. Knowing fully well that Atiku was part of the Obasanjo regime all contracts awarded with regards to electricity was just a ruse to siphon money out of the country.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by kabna(m): 5:10am On Feb 06, 2009
reading through the posts, i discover that most of the countries listed do not appear in the top 5. firslty the only valid criteria in my opinion for classifying a nation as developed is its human development index (HDI). Human Development Index is a comparative measure of life expectancy, literacy, education, and standards of living for countries worldwide. It is a standard means of measuring well-being, especially child welfare. It is used to distinguish whether the country is a developed, developing, or under-developed country, and also to measure the impact of economic policies on quality of life. The index was developed in 1990 by Pakistani economist Mahbub ul Haq. Countries (almost all UN member states and a couple of special territories) fall into three broad categories based on their HDI: high, medium, and low human development. by this internationally acceppted criteria, the 5 developed african countries are
1.Seychelles
2.Mauritius
3.Libya
4. Algeria
5.Cape verde

south africa is 8, Ghana is 15 and Nigeria is 32.

yes we all know that in terms of GDP South Africa Africa's richest economy but this does not tranlate into the Highest HDI due to obvious reasons
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by afiamanu(f): 6:59am On Feb 07, 2009
kabna:

reading through the posts, i discover that most of the countries listed do not appear in the top 5. firslty the only valid criteria in my opinion for classifying a nation as developed is its human development index (HDI). Human Development Index is a comparative measure of life expectancy, literacy, education, and standards of living for countries worldwide. It is a standard means of measuring well-being, especially child welfare. It is used to distinguish whether the country is a developed, developing, or under-developed country, and also to measure the impact of economic policies on quality of life. The index was developed in 1990 by Pakistani economist Mahbub ul Haq. Countries (almost all UN member states and a couple of special territories) fall into three broad categories based on their HDI: high, medium, and low human development. by this internationally acceppted criteria, the 5 developed african countries are
1.Seychelles
2.Mauritius
3.Libya
4. Algeria
5.Cape verde

south africa is 8, Ghana is 15 and Nigeria is 32.

lol is this factual information because for all those bickering that Ghana is nowhere near nigeria it seems its vice-versa. I wish we were talking about top 5 countries in terms of currency Ghana would definitely be #1 lol grin
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by SamMilla1(m): 1:08am On Feb 08, 2009
davidif:

aok48
and America caused 9/11, the US didn't land on the moon, and aliens are also waiting to destroy our planet? Also, why don't you include who assassinated JFK. You are funny, we need more conspiracy theorists like you.

I suppose you are doubting him arent you?, all those things he said is true, over 90% truth. open your eyes,
zimbabwe is dying today simply because of America and the British.
They sit down in the white house ant decide what happens in your life and your country.
The moment you say no to them, they start to plot your downall.
america is not the friend of africa
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by TOYOSI20(f): 4:01am On Feb 08, 2009
Heres ma guess in no particular order oo!!

Nigeria kiss kiss

South Africa smiley

Egypt undecided

Morocco shocked

Ghana lipsrsealed
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by grabit: 10:30pm On Feb 28, 2009
BOTSWANA. which other african country can afford world class buildings like these ones?? and look at the MAP of riches below!!!! grin

Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by grabit: 10:46pm On Feb 28, 2009
MORE OF BOTSWANA. MY UNCLE WORKS THERE. IT IS VERY MODERN AND ALL THE BUILDINGS ARE NEAT. [size=18pt]THEIR CURRENCY IS THE HIGHEST IN AFRICA, EVEN HIGHER THAN THE SOUTH AFRICAN RAND.[/size]

Malls like this ones are found in only 4 countries in Africa

1. Botswana (thats the photo that i took when i was there)
2. South Africa
3. Tunisia
4. Egypt

Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Becomrrich: 12:32am On Mar 01, 2009
South africa.
Morroco
Algeria
Tunisia
Ivory coast
Senegal
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by gadogado(m): 8:01pm On Mar 01, 2009
my friend becomerich or whatever, why are you putting senegal in the equation,what is senegal.na wa oo
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by MrSisterwm: 9:12pm On Apr 02, 2009
grabit:

MORE OF BOTSWANA. MY UNCLE WORKS THERE. IT IS VERY MODERN AND ALL THE BUILDINGS ARE NEAT. [size=18pt]THEIR CURRENCY IS THE HIGHEST IN AFRICA, EVEN HIGHER THAN THE SOUTH AFRICAN RAND.[/size]

Malls like this ones are found in only 4 countries in Africa

1. Botswana (thats the photo that i took when i was there)
2. South Africa
3. Tunisia
4. Egypt

What's the big deal about such malls? U need to visit Abuja Nigeria.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by abuja4real: 11:20am On Apr 03, 2009
1. Algeria
Angola
Benin
Botswana
Burkina Faso
Burundi
Cameroon
Cape Verde
Central African Republic
Chad
Comoros
Congo
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Cote d'Ivoire
Djibouti
Egypt
Equatorial Guinea
Eritrea
Ethiopia
Gabon
Gambia
Ghana
Guinea
Guinea-Bissau
Kenya
Lesotho
Liberia
Libya
Madagascar
Malawi
Mali
Mauritania
Mauritius
Morocco
Mozambique
Namibia
Niger
Rwanda
Sao Tome and Principe
Senegal
Seychelles
Sierra Leone
Somalia
South Africa
Sudan
Swaziland
Tanzania
Togo
Tunisia
Uganda
Zambia
Zimbabwe
47.Nigeria

shocked
hope am wrong
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by whiteroses(f): 4:04pm On Jun 24, 2009
none, sugbon naija ati south africa n ta biobio ghana na de n gbemu cheesy
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Litmus: 2:30pm On Jun 25, 2009
It’s a pity there don’t seem to be a table that shows which African countries depend most on international aid. Such a table would kill these ridicules assertions permanently. .  grin grin

Without Nigeria there is no black africa. Sadly while these false assertions may frightened away potential investors and foreign visitors from Nigeria the bright side of it may be that the rich cultural heritage will remain undiluted for longer. We'll remain Africa’s best kept secrete
cool cool
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by xterra2(m): 9:53pm On Jun 25, 2009
Answer:
NO1-NIGERIA

No2-5 can be debated
Nigeria has been rated among countries that be in the G20 thats why the government started the vision 2020 by OBJ.
We are the best on this continent,we have a very very solid economy
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by yoruba: 2:46pm On Jul 13, 2009
Nigeria has been rated among countries that be in the G20 thats why the government started the vision 2020 by OBJ.
We are the best on this continent,we have a very very solid economy
Without Nigeria there is no black africa. Sadly while these false assertions may frightened away potential investors and foreign visitors from Nigeria the bright side of it may be that the rich cultural heritage will remain undiluted for longer. We'll remain Africa’s best kept secrete

As they say, empty cans makes the loudest noise.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Breaking News - Another Explosion In Kaduna Today / Pre-colonial Traditional Political System In Nigeria / "President Jonathan Is Chairman Of Boko Haram" - Maiduguri Truck Drivers To BBC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.