Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,229 members, 7,807,763 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:39 PM

10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. (35481 Views)

Aliko Dangote Celebrates His 60th Birthday Today (throwback Vs Now Photos) / Photos Of Aliko Dangote And His Three Daughters / Meet Aliko Dangote's Daughter, Halima (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by NZAN(m): 5:24pm On Apr 24, 2015
ednut1:
leave matter for Mathias he made it because he was born rich and remained rich, and play d political game with sense grin, 500k in 1977 nna ehn shocked

Mr excuses
Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by Nobody: 5:27pm On Apr 24, 2015
sirRiddy:
Who is Aliko Dangote? cool

The man Abacha's family said they can never be as poor as
Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by jamillion: 5:28pm On Apr 24, 2015
Meanwhile, storry

Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by MAYOWAAK: 5:28pm On Apr 24, 2015
I am aware that the common narrative, especially by his critics, is that Dangote is a creation of the Nigerian government. Such notion is not without foundation when you look at the quantum of his wealth and how close he has been to the seat of power, especially in the last two decades. However, such a simplistic way of looking at the Dangote phenomenon is rather lazy. For me, the Dangote story can be explained within the context of the Biblical parable of talents as told by our Lord Jesus Christ in Matthew 25: 14-30 which centred on a certain rich man who, before embarking on a journey, entrusted his assets to three of his servants. To one servant was given five talents; another two talents; and the last servant was given one talent. The master in this parable obviously knew that his servants did not have equal abilities but the way each deployed the asset and the eventual outcome is a study in faithfulness and industry.

The lesson of the parable, as one commentator put it, is that while we all begin from different starting points in life, it is not always what we are given that determines our success or failure but rather how we deploy such talents. The point is that if we take the Nigerian rentier state as the distributor of talents, and we agree that Dangote started off with five talents, the fact also remains that there are several others who received one “talent” each and I am not even talking of those who (by virtue of holding public offices), gave themselves multiple ill-gotten “talents”. The challenge of our country is that majority of those people (and they are probably in hundreds of thousands) “buried” their own talents in pursuit of personal pleasure without adding any value to themselves or our society. By investing his own “talents” very wisely and taking calculated risks, Dangote has done good for himself and our society and that then explains why he has moved from making money to creating wealth. Besides, the symbolism of Dangote as Africa’s response to the rise of wealth ambassadors in different regions of the world should ordinarily compel a feeling of pride in us as Nigerians.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by virud: 5:32pm On Apr 24, 2015
Teacher ,don't teach me nonsense!
He profited from wicked monopoly via Obasanjo'z administration. They shut down all competing businesses . Lemme ask you, OP, do you actually believe this article ?
Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by vivaciousvivi(f): 5:34pm On Apr 24, 2015
Interesting lessons not just for doing business but for life in general.
Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by fyneboi79(m): 5:39pm On Apr 24, 2015
ednut1:
leave matter for Mathias he made it because he was born rich and remained rich, and play d political game with sense grin, 500k in 1977 nna ehn shocked
Imagine getting like #250M loan for bsiness now?That is d equivalent in 1977.
Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by Kisses4rmDxtanx: 5:43pm On Apr 24, 2015
Settle d police as he (Dangote) said is not in d list. Den dis post a'int complete.
Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by ednut1(m): 5:43pm On Apr 24, 2015
NZAN:

Mr excuses
mr no excuses, what have u achieved
Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by lantres000(m): 5:51pm On Apr 24, 2015
Borrow me 500m to start business bros
Gimme 2years then I'll return back with interest

Dont be too sure my brother...Do you know how many fraudsters that are on the prowl to milk you ?
Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by 6fit(f): 5:54pm On Apr 24, 2015
So many factors was in his favour @d time he input d loan.....afterall, his not d only importer of such priduct @d time. When 80% of factors dat determine success favour yu, if wiches n wizard are not holding back yur success, skye is yur starting point.....can Dangote loam me 1m naira? Want to go into fashion buzness
Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by lantres000(m): 5:59pm On Apr 24, 2015
Its not about the amount of money given to you that makes you successful in business. Its all about the right attitude.

Dont forget that making money is one thing and staying on top is another thing. If you follow the life of an average rich man you will notice these characteristics about them

1 Smart
2 Good listeners
3 Timely
4 Always well dressed
5 Confident
6 Disciplined

Now you can imagine a so called business man that will buy a small girl a G wagon, and possibly when he is supposed to be in a meeting he is in a hotel room with some chick. Give him sometime he will crumble like a dry bread.

My own 2kobo Sha

1 Like

Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by coolebux(m): 6:01pm On Apr 24, 2015
Somebody should visit Dangote's town
then u'll notice how stingy he is.

Jim Ovie is not in his class
but go to Agbo, Delta state you'll respect southerners

#moneynofitaboki.
Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by Elmickzy(m): 6:11pm On Apr 24, 2015
Dangote repping us since 1900BC
#MONEYMUSTBEMADE
Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by maberry(m): 6:11pm On Apr 24, 2015
Make we use fear gree grin
Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by larica69: 6:12pm On Apr 24, 2015
see rat
Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by gbengus17: 6:15pm On Apr 24, 2015
forget about the 500000k loan. he was nobody before, until a big MALLAM introduced him to IBRAHIM BABAGINDA, when Babaginda was looking for someone very very very very very very very HONEST.
Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by Nobody: 6:26pm On Apr 24, 2015
ednut1:

That's very correct, my dad bought Mitsubishi gallant d zigma in 1977 @ 4k, it was brand new.

Brand new cars today na 2 million, 100 cars × 2 million is 200 million.

I believe his uncle settled him after his apprenticeship under him.. it was never a loan.

A new business man can pay back a 1977.....500k in 3 months.
Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by otunbadan(m): 6:30pm On Apr 24, 2015
emmykk:
He said 5000k was the cost of Mercedes 200 then.which means his uncle gave him loan of 100 Benz figure that.

He may not be upright getting all these anyway

The bible said he who is faithful in little is faithful in much.
That money was not dash,for someone to entrust him with that kind of money,there definitely had to be some show of extreme reliability on Mr Dangote part. That money was not DASH!!!
Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by ollyruffy: 6:33pm On Apr 24, 2015
ednut1:

Well done. Full stop.
Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by Darlduchi: 6:38pm On Apr 24, 2015
1. Biafran oil
Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by Nobody: 6:38pm On Apr 24, 2015
And u forgot to mention how he connived with obj to withdraw Ibeto's licence n make him the only distributor of cement to a country of over 120 million people.....That should make anyone rich, its not rocket science.

And mind u 500,000 naira in 1977 translates into over 200 million naira today.....So don't make it seem as if he used 500k to make 3 trillion...

Finally, I don't think his uncle gave him a loan, He was an apprentice who got settled after serving his master, very obvious.
Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by emmykk(m): 6:45pm On Apr 24, 2015
otunbadan:

The bible said he who is faithful in little is faithful in much.
That money was not dash,for someone to entrust him with that kind of money,there definitely had to be some show of extreme reliability on Mr Dangote part. That money was not DASH!!!
if new mecedes benz 200 model sells for N2million now,and you are given N200million will you be poor in your life?.

Am not saying dangote isnot a clever entreprenuer,am just correcting the N5OOk most people will think is small money then.

Google dagote interview in bbc he was the 1 that analyse that his uncle loan.
Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by Unubi(f): 6:51pm On Apr 24, 2015
Naija do not benefit much from his wealth.
Indians control everything. As if Dangote is an Indian. In their unbelievable number, they rank all aspects while ur naija brothers are miserable files in his conglomerate.
Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by mizzyboy007: 6:52pm On Apr 24, 2015
Everfrank:
10 Secrets Of How Aliko Dangote Made His
Billions

Africa’s richest man Alhaji Aliko Dangote is the most successful businessman of the continent. His business is presented in a lot of countries.
As of January 2015, Dangote had an estimated net worth of US$18.6 billion.He made his fortune is cement, sugar and flour. In April 2014, months before oil prices plunged, he announced $9 billion in financing from a consortium of local and international lenders to construct a private oil refinery and fertilizer and petrochemical complex in the country. In August 2014 he said he would invest $1 billion in commercial rice farming and modern rice mills. His publicly traded Dangote Cement is also grabbing new markets in Africa, with $750 million in new plants planned for Kenya and Niger. His net worth tumbled from $25 billion in February 2014 as a result of a weaker Nigerian currency and a drop in demand for cement. He made his first fortune more than three decades ago when he started trading commodities with a loan from his powerful uncle.

Nigerianbulletin reviews some of his financial secrets:

1. He once worked for someone

Dangote worked for his uncle, Sani Dangote. He served his master diligently. He acted in accordance to the statement which says if you must lead, you must serve. It was while working for his uncle that he gathered experience, skills and confidence.

2. He took a loan to start his business

Aliko Dangote started his business with the NGN 500,000 loan he took from his uncle/master. He approached his uncle in 1977 and told him about his plan to establish a business outfit and his uncle gave him the loan to start the business. However, he was given a three-month-deadline and he repaid the loan in three months.

3. He kicked off his business by trading in commodities

Sugar, rice, pasta, salt, cotton, millet, cocoa, textile and vegetable oil were the commodities he started his business with. He was importing these commodities into Nigeria.

4. He developed a strong distribution network

Since production is not complete until the goods reach the final consumer, Dangote developed a strong distribution channel that made his goods delivered faster than his competitors’ goods.

5. He leaped from importation to manufacturing

After some years in his importation business, Aliko Dangote transformed into a producer of products he was importing. In one of his statements, he revealed that changing from an importer to a manufacturer has so far been his best move. The move produced Dangote Group, an organization that controls over 13 companies.

6. He built a brand

Dangote built a vibrant brand for his business. He corroborated this during an interview by saying “to succeed in business, you must build a brand and never destroy it. One competitive advantage I had when I ventured into manufacturing was my brand (Dangote), which I diligently built in the course of my trading.”

7. He sells cheap quality products

In his mission to gain the loyalty of his customers, Dangote started selling his competitive products at cheaper rates compared to his competitors’ rates.

8. He had a big breakthrough

Dangote’s networking skills and ability to make unprecedented connections made him record the major breakthrough he needed for the prosperity of his business. His break through emerged when he acquired the license to import cement.

9. He works pretty hard

As an astute businessman, Alhaji Aliko Dangote spends most of his time strategizing and brainstorming on how to grow his business. Reports have it that he sleeps by 2:00 am and wakes up by 5:00 am everyday. Can you beat that?

10. He obeys the laws of the land

Unlike other cunning businessmen, Dangote is an upright man as far as abiding by the rules and regulations governing the ethics of business are concerned. He keeps his credit records as well as his tax records tidy and he preaches that business should be done as stipulated by the regulatory bodies.

http://www.naij.com/426890-wealth-secrets-of-aliko-dangote.html
I don't believe number 2 and 10.
Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by otunbadan(m): 6:54pm On Apr 24, 2015
emmykk:
if new mecedes benz 200 model sells for N2million now,and you are given N200million will you be poor in your life?.

Am not saying dangote isnot a clever entreprenuer,am just correcting the N5OOk most people will think is small money then.

Google dagote interview in bbc he was the 1 that analyse that his uncle loan.

Yeah, I have watched it. My point it that diligence, hardwork and knowledge pays. His uncle must have seen him do WONDERS with smaller amounts than 500k , then his uncle trusting him big,gave him big money. He worked and earned that trust for someone no matter who to give him 200million in today's terms.
He was faithful in little and had much given to him to be faithful also with. It's a long standing law.

1 Like

Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by Nobody: 6:57pm On Apr 24, 2015
See government aided rich man talking. When Obasanjo shut down some competition companies nko (Ibeto). Yaradua (God rest his soul) opened it up and others. Taa, gbafuo. rich man ko rich man ni
Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by emmykk(m): 7:07pm On Apr 24, 2015
otunbadan:

Yeah, I have watched it. My point it that diligence, hardwork and knowledge pays. His uncle must have seen him do WONDERS with smaller amounts than 500k , then his uncle trusting him big,gave him big money. He worked and earned that trust for someone no matter who to give him 200million in today's terms.
He was faithful in little and had much given to him to be faithful also with. It's a long standing law.
yes you are right
Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by bettercreature(m): 7:34pm On Apr 24, 2015
11) Government helped him to monopolize many products
Stop decieving yourself the day of magic are over you may never rich like Dangote
Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by Nobody: 7:50pm On Apr 24, 2015
sirRiddy:
Who is Aliko Dangote? cool

He is the man whom you wish you become of...
Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by NZAN(m): 8:16pm On Apr 24, 2015
ednut1:

mr no excuses, what have u achieved

You no reach
Re: 10 Wealth Secrets Of Aliko Dangote: A Must Read. by jemype(m): 8:20pm On Apr 24, 2015
a very simple reason why not everybody is rich is because most people here will bring 99 different and partial reasons why dangote actually got rich while d optimists hv learnt the lessons and nuggets needed to b grasped.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dangote All Smiles Over His $600 Million Dangote Cement Plant In Ethiopia (photo / The Difference Between A Credit Card And A Debit Card / I Have Trained Five Graduates With Proceeds From Roasted Yam Business - Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.