Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:18 AM

My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria - Jobs/Vacancies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria (21657 Views)

Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online / How To Get Recruiters’ Attention When Applying For Jobs By E-mail - Vineck.com / Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:39am On Apr 25, 2015
After reading through all responses to the op, i feel the need to make a little contribution. I have been in the op shoe. I got my best job 7 years after graduation, but i wasn't idle. A lot of responses dwell on starting your own business, volunteering, repackaging yourself and cv, e.t.c i will like to share my experience

- Starting your own business: while this is a good option many job seekers just cant cos of money. To start and maintain a good business in Nigeria cost a lot which many can't afford. I started by borrowing 100,000 in 2008 to start selling recharge card but quit after about 8 months, why ? I was just making enough to feed myself alone, can't even send money home, of what use is that then........ The lesson here is if you can't start your own business with good money you will only end up not making money from the business.

- volunteering is a no no for me. Id rather do a low paying job than volunteer, you can build your experience from low paying jobs. My first job after service in 2008 paid me 12,000 but i took it for experience and not to stay idle while earning something

- repackaging yourself and cv: jobseekers don't have to apply for every job opening cos they are looking for work. I learnt that lesson early enough and only concentrate on jobs i am qualified for so as to increase my chances of getting called. Jobseekers have to look good and have good communication skills.

Opportunities available to jobseekers differ from location to location and individual to individual. I for instance detest marketing jobs and i stay clear of them. If you are not in a big city, the opportunities are limited and the pay smaller.

people should also know that the economic situation in Nigeria is bad, there are few good jobs, joblessness is actually not spiritual

The painful part of my job seeking sojourn is that while i was job hunting, i see my colleagues who are less brilliant getting the best jobs cos they are well connected...smh

but i believe that will reduce or stop now that gmb is here, jobs will start flowing in abundance soon.

GOD BLESS YOUR HUSTLE

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by Montaque(m): 6:49am On Apr 25, 2015
EbolaParasite:

While I don't know if your story is true, this is the kind of approach that will definitely land you a job. Most people are too busy applying to Chevron, Stanbic etc. They see jobs that pay 40k and say "I am a graduate, how can I earn that". End up staying at home for 3years and come to nairaland to complain.
I feel you.
That's the "I am a graduate" mentality.
You are a graduate, so what?
It seems as if schooling boxes us into a stereotypical job, that if its not that white collar job, we won't do it.
OP, the type of jobs u applied for may not have been the type u get straight on fresh out of school, so keep ur 2.1 CV aside and go down the ladder a little bit. It doesn't make u less graduate.

2 Likes

Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by venatus25(m): 6:56am On Apr 25, 2015
Closetoheart:

Ok sir. I received lots of mails today. Can you give me ur e-mail address?
Bro. Please do something to help the op. You appear to be in position to help.
Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by bomsilaga(m): 7:09am On Apr 25, 2015
You know if God is working against you it can be worse than all the jujus in Nigeria working together against you.
Check within to find a call from God to do His work that was neglected.
If you have a call from God then you will be wasting your time looking for a job.
How about your spoken English?
How about your appearance?
Any mouth or body odour?
Stage fright?
Are you always over religious?
I can go on and on.

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by Akynzodeighbour(m): 7:36am On Apr 25, 2015
Closetoheart:

Ok sir. I received lots of mails today. Can you give me ur e-mail address?
bro, please I sent you a mail the email I.d is scrutunise@yahoo.com,
Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by Moloso(m): 7:38am On Apr 25, 2015
pastorsmiling:
Today i hit 1100 applications for job in Nigeria. What is the wayforward?

This means i have applying for jobs everyday for the past three years
: mathematically,
365 × 3 = 1095

Where do i get it wrong ?

I have a second class upper, i always edit my cv to suit position i'm applying for, i am always online

I have prayed & fasted for 50days this year alone.

I always asked for help from well connected friends.

I follow up all my application sometimes i even cal HR of the company i'm to applying to.

I am an active member of nairaland and i also help my friends in terms of jobs and in the long run they will get job.

I am a staunch christian who has complete trust in God.

I have been to different deliverance programme. what is my problem?

Could it be that my time as not come?

I am simply tired and optimistic.

I take refuge in GOD i leave everything to you and to you alone be all the glory.

Let your will be done in my life

Let me bring my testimony to your children here in nairaland

Let me break this jinx of stagnation and barrier oh Lord

Let people celebrate with me

I BELIEVE WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE

I ALWAYS CRY IN MY CLOSET BUT I WONT STOP THE JOB HUNT

ANOTHER CYCLE IS ABOUT TO BEGIN

PLEASE ADVICE!!!!

TRUST IN GOD WHEN HE SAID NO...
Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by BboyChinon(m): 7:59am On Apr 25, 2015
pastorsmiling:

365 × 3 = 1095

I have a second class upper, i always edit my cv to suit position i'm applying for, i am always online

I follow up all my application sometimes i even cal HR of the company i'm to applying to.

I am an active member of nairaland and i also help my friends in terms of jobs and in the long run they will get job.

I take refuge in GOD i leave everything to you and to you alone be all the glory.

PLEASE ADVICE!!!!stop applying for Jobs and start at business or work for free in an organisation and later they would start paying you m
Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by delors(m): 8:01am On Apr 25, 2015
pastorsmiling:

365 × 3 = 1095

PLEASE ADVICE!!!!

Wow!
God sees my brother. I do not think you are doing anything wrong from your post.
However, make sure you primarily apply to jobs you are qualified for and basically entry level positions.
Honestly I do not know what to say but God will surely visit you soon.

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:12am On Apr 25, 2015
I studied because I wanted to b educated. I never saw my education as only a means to an end bt as an end itself. There are lots of things to do to make money. U just have to think it through and b determined and diligent to start.

And by d way, wat sort of jobs have u been applying for; Shell, Exxon, Banks, etc? Bro, its easier for a camel to pass thru d eye of a needle than to get such jobs without connection.

I'll advice u not to give up. But at d moment, look for a job wit small pay. Start from somewhere. Its there u will meet pple who wil take u to d top.
Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by Kagawa: 8:28am On Apr 25, 2015
You cite oil work, and mining, that is the problem with many young individuals today...

we all want to hammer but don't want to pay our dues.

It is not everyone that can be Bill gates or Mark Zukcerberg, nor everyone can work in shell or NNPC.

If na only oyel work and mining work you dey find since and you never get headway, have tried other sectors that could be hiring?

And if you have not tried those sectors? If you havent because simply they arent your field of study, have you tried learning new skills pointing
towards the next place you want to be?

University sesificate* no be anything. Raw skills are.

There are small startup companies that one can go to acquire raw skills, that will make one outstanding. If the CVs this guy is submitting is like over 2,000 Cvs submited at every call for recruitment, sorry brov.

People are very creative these days. One individual built a whole website targeting the website of a company she wanted to work at.

Stop sending those bullshit CV, and rethink strategy, you are not Thomas Edison.

ejiro2130:
Ppl come here and talk abt voluntary work, well it depend on the sector u find ur self

Which oil company will take u on voluntary job?? Which Minning company will take u for voluntary job??

U dont have a contract with them, Wat if smtin goes wrong?? These industries are prom to accident how will the explain to ur family u r a voluntary worker??

Tell us Wat u read op, maybe from der ppl can advice u properly.
Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by Mattin(m): 8:36am On Apr 25, 2015
If this is a true story, drop your certificate and get your hands dirty and busy. Look inward and do something for people.

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by TDstarr: 9:40am On Apr 25, 2015
pastorsmiling:

365 × 3 = 1095

PLEASE ADVICE!!!!

what course did you read?
Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by zinkotop: 9:50am On Apr 25, 2015
xxxoladevoxxx:

I think this is the best answer here and also a message to other Job applicants. And why do people still blame the government for lack of Job. You go thru 4 or 5yrs in a University just to wait for government? Im beginning to think Nigerians get creative when they want to do something illegal. Otherwise, get creative and get urself a job, arleast u went to school what bout those that didnt
Oga if I may ask you, are you self employed or working for/with someone or a company? My brother, let he who is without sin be the first to cast the stone.
Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by Gbengard(m): 9:57am On Apr 25, 2015
pastorsmiling:
[Thanks so much i really appreciate u GOD BLESS YOUquote author=Gbengard post=33074322]OP The Lord will raise you up helper of destiny! No matter how bad the economy of our nation is you will succeed as from today on. The rest of your life will be the best as from today.... From this hour you found yourself in favor market and not labour market! From now on grace, mercy and favour will speak for IJN because that's what you need sir.
Meanwhile my dear OP check your CV over and over again if someone haven't edit one of your hobbies to "masturbating".....

Remain Bless till God is done with you

OP You're welcome! Between remember me in your Kingdom when you starts swimming in money!
Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by zinkotop: 10:08am On Apr 25, 2015
Rolly83:
You all should stop criticizing the op and assist him if you have any leads...What he is trying to say is that he needs a job badly.If only I was in Nigeria I would have done something to assist him,he sounds sincere to me.
It's true you are not in Nigeria, aren't your uncles or friends also in Nigeria?
Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by Sodams(m): 11:06am On Apr 25, 2015
pastorsmiling:

365 × 3 = 1095

PLEASE ADVICE!!!!

Lemme be real with you, the hustle is offline not online.
Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by sweetrace(f): 12:25pm On Apr 25, 2015
link2jude:

Please where can we find these NGO'S offering skill acquisitions?

there are NGOs all over Nigeria to help one acquire some skills. Evergreen in the north, ERN in Lagos, LIFYEAD... I Know that The Nigerian Skills Acquisition Program is on Facebook. Some individuals are also doing what they can. The owner of Odio couturier and her twin organize some skill acquisition programs. They once had the owner of a successful modern farm in Nigeria train those that were interested. AiMP Network is a non denomination Christian group that has a program for leadership skills. Anyway, please Google and ask around. Even the government is involved in funding some NGOs, even though they are meant to be non governmental.
Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by Muwale: 1:01pm On Apr 25, 2015
I simply want to ask you this question: have you ask God what he wants you to do? You may be doing what doesn't want for that may be the reason. I have made similar mistakes only to find out it wasn't God's will. If you are a true christian all you need to do is fast and pray and ask God what he intends for you and you will see you are the cause of your own problem. If that is not the case then something great is on its way just be patient.

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by Mmayor(m): 1:19pm On Apr 25, 2015
Setaje:
Here they go again. Help yourself. Learn something. Do voluntary work. As if they will give u money for transport to go and do voluntary work or they will give u money to learn something. Tsheeeeeeeew.

The amount he spent on data for those 3 years would have been enough to learn something! How much will it cost to learn tailoring or carpentry? Oh, because he's educated he can't be a tailor or a carpenter? that's the problem with us graduates! when I see what the so called uneducated artisans and craftsmen earn on a daily basis, I feel like I have been scammed into going to school. now imagine being educated and having these same skills.
Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by ejiro2130(m): 2:27pm On Apr 25, 2015
Kagawa:
You cite oil work, and mining, that is the problem with many young individuals today...

we all want to hammer but don't want to pay our dues.

It is not everyone that can be Bill gates or Mark Zukcerberg, nor everyone can work in shell or NNPC.

If na only oyel work and mining work you dey find since and you never get headway, have tried other sectors that could be hiring?

And if you have not tried those sectors? If you havent because simply they arent your field of study, have you tried learning new skills pointing
towards the next place you want to be?

University sesificate* no be anything. Raw skills are.

There are small startup companies that one can go to acquire raw skills, that will make one outstanding. If the CVs this guy is submitting is like over 2,000 Cvs submited at every call for recruitment, sorry brov.

People are very creative these days. One individual built a whole website targeting the website of a company she wanted to work at.

Stop sending those bullshit CV, and rethink strategy, you are not Thomas Edison.

Thanks for ur write up, u said ppl need to learn new skills you r right but I have to learn it in my field

Studied industrial chemistry in university, then drilling technology and Mineral development then health and safety
All these r related to my field if this doesn't mean am learning a new skill then I don't kw Wat is
Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:56pm On Apr 25, 2015
pastorsmiling:

365 × 3 = 1095

PLEASE ADVICE!!!!

It's just the design of our current economic system. You do not need deliverance session. In fact, I think they will just add the pressure on you.

The fact is, it's much easier to get employment will you are already in another employment. That is the secret. Give your time to a place as a volunteer, intern, etc as the search goes on. You do not even need to be formal for this one. Just walk into an firm relevant to your skills and offer you time, You will be increasing your skill, experience, and also making your CV look more serious.
Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by kelvinclint(m): 3:01pm On Apr 25, 2015
If you had started up something the first few years after graduation, u probably would have been an employer of labour by now.. Think about people like dangote, bill gate, Mike adenuga etc, they are all self employed... All the best..
Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by Sam0805849612: 5:04pm On Apr 25, 2015
Reading through the response to the OP, I feel the need to add this admonition.

Friend, I see God making a way for you. Very soon. Your story will change for good..
However, know this; you can't bribe God with prayers and fasting. No spiritual gym can move God. You should rather rely on the finished work of Christ on Calvary. Cease from all your labours and enter into God's rest.

I have no job or money to give you brother, but I will put you in my prayers. You soon land at the better side. God Almighty will show up for you, and He will change your story.

Keep been an optimist, and position yourself right for an opportunity.

You will laugh last very soon.

God Bless Our Husstles.

1 Like

Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:19pm On Apr 25, 2015
Sodams:

Lemme be real with you, the hustle is offline not online.

#fact
...but how,kindly drop some hints.
Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by colachor: 5:24pm On Apr 25, 2015
UYou got it wrong by seeking favour from well connected people. You have two eyes yes, but you cannot look up and down at d same time. Focus on God alone and he I'll surely hear you. I'm in your shoes and stillbelieving God for a job. Mine is longer than yours but I'm not discourage about what God can do. Hold on to God the alpha and omega. Shalom.
Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by Nafizzey(m): 9:53pm On Apr 25, 2015
Thespecialone:
Contact me on Whatsapp or email nisiborps@gmail.com , I will teach you Importation for free. It's not a must you must work for someone. Since you have access to the Internet, you can as well do something different for once.
Great thread Thespecialone, please i would like you to help me with update about the latest Korean e-shopping sites that sells products at real cheap rate cheaper than even aliexpress, dhgate, DX, etc .thank you
Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by Nafizzey(m): 11:29pm On Apr 25, 2015
Hackomania:
My suggestion is: Solve a problem around you. If you don't find any problems, look for one, and keep looking
sorry for my question pls, but how does one identify a problem in dire need of solution around him/her? would appreciate if you will provide some hints...
Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by hollaimpeccabl(f): 11:31pm On Apr 25, 2015
horlarlorwor:

Start Laundry job.... Go to city, look for company(s) and package yourself, before u know it, you are there. Just a matter of time...

I have a laundry outfit and I ironed and washed myself when I started,and trust me I am making good money from it.you are man,don't wait for people to spoonfeed you.Do something before the job comes.Jobelessness can make life rily miserable
Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by Godsonkemz(m): 7:55am On Apr 26, 2015
I feel ur pain. Having applied as much as this far yet with no positive result, you have every reason to despair however, you dont have to dash all hope. Continue to apply. You might have been applying for jobs not suitable or in line with ur area of discipline or may be you are too selective in your search. How you construct ur CV and Application letter could be another factor militating against you. Your CV should be tailored according to what the organization you are applying for demands. Secondly, its very unfortunate that in Nigeria, after spending in school 4 to 6yrs as the case may be, you're released to face the harsh condition in the over saturated labour market unless you have Abraham or you are ready to cart away a huge sum of money to secure a job or alternatively pay the kind price, in this case i suggest you should try to equip yourself with some skills, acquire entrepreneurial skills to empower you so as to ease the burden of dependency. Learn from those who made it from the area you wish to venture. And stop depending only on white collar jobs. You can continue ur search while you to display ur newly acquired skills.
Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by solarview(m): 8:00am On Apr 26, 2015
lookooman:
After reading through all responses to the op, i feel the need to make a little contribution. I have been in the op shoe. I got my best job 7 years after graduation, but i wasn't idle. A lot of responses dwell on starting your own business, volunteering, repackaging yourself and cv, e.t.c i will like to share my experience

- Starting your own business: while this is a good option many job seekers just cant cos of money. To start and maintain a good business in Nigeria cost a lot which many can't afford. I started by borrowing 100,000 in 2008 to start selling recharge card but quit after about 8 months, why ? I was just making enough to feed myself alone, can't even send money home, of what use is that then........ The lesson here is if you can't start your own business with good money you will only end up not making money from the business.

- volunteering is a no no for me. Id rather do a low paying job than volunteer, you can build your experience from low paying jobs. My first job after service in 2008 paid me 12,000 but i took it for experience and not to stay idle while earning something

- repackaging yourself and cv: jobseekers don't have to apply for every job opening cos they are looking for work. I learnt that lesson early enough and only concentrate on jobs i am qualified for so as to increase my chances of getting called. Jobseekers have to look good and have good communication skills.

Opportunities available to jobseekers differ from location to location and individual to individual. I for instance detest marketing jobs and i stay clear of them. If you are not in a big city, the opportunities are limited and the pay smaller.

people should also know that the economic situation in Nigeria is bad, there are few good jobs, joblessness is actually not spiritual

The painful part of my job seeking sojourn is that while i was job hunting, i see my colleagues who are less brilliant getting the best jobs cos they are well connected...smh

but i believe that will reduce or stop now that gmb is here, jobs will start flowing in abundance soon.

GOD BLESS YOUR HUSTLE

God bless you Sir for being this real and sincere, you truly spoke as a Nigerian with the Nigerian experience, once again may God bless you 10,000 times. I'm not exaggerating it. I wish we have more like-minded people like you in this country. Infact I wish I could, I would have chosen you as mentor.
Re: My Job Hunts Today Hit 1100times I Have Been Applying For Jobs In Nigeria by xxxoladevoxxx(m): 1:23pm On Apr 26, 2015
zinkotop:

Oga if I may ask you, are you self employed or working for/with someone or a company? My brother, let he who is without sin be the first to cast the stone.

Lemme try and this accordingly, I have my own business, I have volunteered before and i am also working for a company. All this didnt happened over night...Bro hard work and diligence pays..in due time

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

GE Africa Early Career Development Program - Nigeria Graduate Trainee / Who Got This From MTN? / Flour Mills Of Nigeria PLC Job Recruitment (15 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.