Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,493 members, 7,808,827 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:34 PM

Meet The Man Who Makes A Fortune From Selling Roasted Frogs In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Meet The Man Who Makes A Fortune From Selling Roasted Frogs In Nigeria (1814 Views)

10-Year-Old Barber Who Makes At Least N5,000 Daily (Photo) / Female Cobbler In Benue Who Makes Foot Wears / Meet The Nigerian Woman That Built 4 Bedroom Flat From Roasted Corn Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet The Man Who Makes A Fortune From Selling Roasted Frogs In Nigeria by Realwvn(m): 8:39pm On Apr 24, 2015
Not until last week I actually knew people eat frogs, I was watching grassroot football at a field close to my house when I heard one man calling mallam mall am from afar, I thought the man was mentally unstabled with the way he yelled mallam, not until the aboki gave him the frogs. In his words “O ma dun gan” meaning they are edible. I am not making this up, instantly I started looking at him as a human version of a gigantic frog from Jupiter.

Then, I saw this interview by BBC, They recently reached out to a 25-year-old Philip Paul, a frog seller from Benue state and in the interview, he up about his frog business. 
He actually captures them in Adamawa and then export it to Benue where the meat is most cherished. 

Read  story below:

“Philip Paul is a frog seller – and he and his wife and daughter love to eat them. The family hails from central Benue state but live in the north-east, where people are not so keen on them. The 25-year-old says the frogs are so easy to catch that he grabs them with his bare hands. At night he puts a bit of bait on rope and when the frogs jump he just reaches for them. He then skewers them on a stick. Since 2008 he has made a business out of catching frogs in Adamawa state and exporting them to Benue, where they love them.

Mr Paul dries out the frogs by the side of his house in full view for his neighbours. This has not persuaded them to have a taste. Once the frogs have been out in the sun for six or seven hours, Mr Paul smokes them. The frogs are classified by size. He sells a skewer of 37 small frogs for $1.50 (£1). The stick with 34 medium frogs costs $2 and the stick with 24 large frogs is $4. The frogs are cooked in a stew with spices, tomatoes, onions and chillies. Mr Paul tells his neighbours they taste better than fish but they remain unconvinced. By BBC’s Christine Otieno.”

More pictures on http://www.naijanewsrave.com/meet-the-man-who-makes-a-fortune-from-selling-roasted-frogs-in-nigeria/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet The Man Who Makes A Fortune From Selling Roasted Frogs In Nigeria by kolomax(m): 8:42pm On Apr 24, 2015
Chaiiii IRANU ABASHA
Re: Meet The Man Who Makes A Fortune From Selling Roasted Frogs In Nigeria by iphanyiuma(m): 8:44pm On Apr 24, 2015
Chai okpolo eyes e no be open eyes
Re: Meet The Man Who Makes A Fortune From Selling Roasted Frogs In Nigeria by Minet16(m): 9:12pm On Apr 24, 2015
i've seen him op i didn't have to meet him
Re: Meet The Man Who Makes A Fortune From Selling Roasted Frogs In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:16pm On Apr 24, 2015
well that na im own hustle
Re: Meet The Man Who Makes A Fortune From Selling Roasted Frogs In Nigeria by baybeeboi: 9:24pm On Apr 24, 2015
see as the frog resemble Tinubu and Mu'azu Babangida Aliyu

1 Like

Re: Meet The Man Who Makes A Fortune From Selling Roasted Frogs In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:16pm On Apr 24, 2015
Dis kain frog go make sense with cold "ORIJIN"
Re: Meet The Man Who Makes A Fortune From Selling Roasted Frogs In Nigeria by biuti(f): 12:00am On Apr 25, 2015
I can never touch it, talkless of tasting it! *spits*

1 Like

Re: Meet The Man Who Makes A Fortune From Selling Roasted Frogs In Nigeria by tessylove2(f): 12:32am On Apr 25, 2015
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Meet The Man Who Makes A Fortune From Selling Roasted Frogs In Nigeria by Afritop(m): 7:55am On Apr 25, 2015
Wow! They look delicious
Re: Meet The Man Who Makes A Fortune From Selling Roasted Frogs In Nigeria by creampassion: 12:32am On Apr 26, 2015
First off I want to correct something here Frogs are not that edible the have a poisonous skin it serves as protection from some kind of predators . What you see in that picture are Toads ,they are highly nutritious beyond what I can explain here you just need to try some for yourself

1 Like

Re: Meet The Man Who Makes A Fortune From Selling Roasted Frogs In Nigeria by ultrazone(m): 6:19am On Apr 26, 2015
swww
Re: Meet The Man Who Makes A Fortune From Selling Roasted Frogs In Nigeria by adahgold(m): 12:18pm On Apr 26, 2015
He is making his money lesson learnt be creative in what ever u r doing,who could ever no people sell frogs..
Re: Meet The Man Who Makes A Fortune From Selling Roasted Frogs In Nigeria by hahn(m): 12:27pm On Apr 26, 2015
I have eaten it before and i swear to all the imaginary deities across the world that it tastes EXACTLY like chicken grin
Re: Meet The Man Who Makes A Fortune From Selling Roasted Frogs In Nigeria by creampassion: 12:57pm On Apr 26, 2015
Chicken is an understatement at one time after salting,peppering and boiling the toads ,with the broth it produced I couldn't contain myself as I finished a big loaf of bread with it just like eating bread and Geisha but it taste better really
Re: Meet The Man Who Makes A Fortune From Selling Roasted Frogs In Nigeria by fxstory(m): 4:56pm On Apr 26, 2015
if anyone can eat chicken, dog, cat, bush rat, snail, lizzard, tonlotonlo, what is wrong in eating a tod.it all has to do with how the brain works.some people can eat snail because their brain sees it as snail and good meat while some can't even touch it.why, it all has to do with how our brain react to such.some people eat dogs, while some can't even lick it.everything we do in life revolve round on how the brain react to it.so nothing bad in eating tods if your brain can react and see it as delicious meat.i someone brings a fried lizzard without you knowing and tells you its a fried checken and you eat it.immediate you are about to swallow it, the person says its a lizzard, the first thing you would do is to spit it out immediately and brush your mouth.the brain could not take it.the brain could only take the chicken, not the lizzard

(1) (Reply)

Starting A Mini Poultry With 50,000 Budget. / Youth Empowerment Centre / Get Your Raw Honey From Us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.