Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,480 members, 7,781,433 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:18 PM

January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? (2394 Views)

Foreign Journalist In Owerri To See Biafran War Weapons. Photos / We Failed To Learn From Biafran War — Ekweremadu / Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by Patebere(m): 3:27am On Apr 25, 2015
Between the January 1966 coup (first millitary coup in Nigeria) and the Nigerian Civil war, which one are you in support of? Which do you think was necessary and which was uncalled for? Give reasons.
Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by raumdeuter: 3:53am On Apr 25, 2015
I would have supported the Jan 1966 coup if those Ibo soldiers killed their own leaders like Michael Okpara, Osadebey and Azikwe instead of Balewa Akintola and Bello

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by WisdomFlakes: 3:55am On Apr 25, 2015
I support neither coz if the coup hadn't occurred there wouldn't have been a Northern response/reprisal and in effect no civil war.

The civil war was really unnecessary coz after losing lives on both sides nothing really concrete was achieved that couldn't have been achieved via dialogue and peaceful negotiations, and not to mention that precious lives would have been spared on both sides.

3 Likes

Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by missKiffy(f): 4:13am On Apr 25, 2015
None was necessary
Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by Nobody: 6:12am On Apr 25, 2015
None of the above.
Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by Code213: 6:19am On Apr 25, 2015
That 1966 Coup ruined this country.

The Biafra war is understandable,but it dragged on for too long because 2 elephants were having an ego play, while the grass suffered the heat.

#Arrogance complicated issues in both cases! embarassed

#I wish both never happened.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by aariwa(m): 6:46am On Apr 25, 2015
Aguiyi Ironsi ruined this country by stopping those boys from actualizing the revolutionary zeal that was burning inside them.Aguoyi seized power and became redundant and clueless on what to do with power
Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by ArodeTsolaye: 8:50am On Apr 25, 2015
raumdeuter:
I would have supported the Jan 1966 coup if those Ibo soldiers killed their own leaders like Michael Okpara, Osadebey and Azikwe instead of Balewa Akintola and Bello

But they killed Col. Unegbe, an important Igbo high ranking officer in army.
Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by Nobody: 9:00am On Apr 25, 2015
ArodeTsolaye:

we are talking about regional and national leaders, not an high ranking officer who wasn't even a major.

His death was a collateral damage.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by Patebere(m): 9:13am On Apr 25, 2015
raumdeuter:

My dear, let's look at it from a nationalist point of view, not being tribalistic or sentimental. The coup was mapped out for a purpose, not just to murder millitary officers. Zik was out of the country at the said time. Michael Opara was arrested though he had no effect in d central govt of the day. But Balewa was d federal prime minister, meaning dat d central govt rested on him and taking out d govt means taking him out. Ahmadu Bello has been on d frontliner of tribalistic instincts. Causin d PM to take some tribalistic steps. Havn't u heard of the nocturnal meetings that the Sardauna was holding with the PM in his Kaduna residence?

1 Like

Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by Patebere(m): 9:21am On Apr 25, 2015
Code213:
That 1966 Coup ruined this country.

The Biafra war is understandable,but it dragged on for too long because 2 elephants were having an ego play, while the grass suffered the heat.

#Arrogance complicated issues in both cases! embarassed

#I wish both never happened.

I want to object to ur point and rather state that the 1966 coup was more necessary than the biafran war. because, as at the time of d coup, d nation was in total mess, corruption was d other of the day and tribalism was rili being played out. The army was even being politicized. Sumtin needed 2 be done, and desperately too. That was just wat the guys did to salvage the situation. But, I tink the civil war was just a case of two egos being played out by the two main protagonists of both sides. Declaring war when u did nt have all it took to prosecute d war was nt really advisable
Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by Patebere(m): 9:24am On Apr 25, 2015
aariwa:
Aguiyi Ironsi ruined this country by stopping those boys from actualizing the revolutionary zeal that was burning inside them.Aguoyi seized power and became redundant and clueless on what to do with power

I quite concur with you. Dat's absolutely true. Ironsi's interception of the coup was the beginning of the nation's disaster

2 Likes

Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by Volksfuhrer(m): 9:42am On Apr 25, 2015
ArodeTsolaye:

Col. Unegbe! Seriously! We are talking about the killing of regional leaders, look at what you brought to this discourse!

If they had killed the Eastern leaders as was originally planned, there probably might not have been a civil war that subsequently killed millions!

Those coup plotters that 'failed' in the East set this nation backwards several decades. Their blunder was arguably the dumbest blunder in the history of coup plotting!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by Volksfuhrer(m): 9:54am On Apr 25, 2015
Patebere:

My dear, let's look at it from a nationalist point of view, not being tribalistic or sentimental. The coup was mapped out for a purpose, not just to murder millitary officers. Zik was out of the country at the said time. Michael Opara was arrested though he had no effect in d central govt of the day. But Balewa was d federal prime minister, meaning dat d central govt rested on him and taking out d govt means taking him out. Ahmadu Bello has been on d frontliner of tribalistic instincts. Causin d PM to take some tribalistic steps. Havn't u heard of the nocturnal meetings that the Sardauna was holding with the PM in his Kaduna residence?

This argument doesn't cut it! Okpara was arrested. Why didn't the coup plotters extend the same courtesy to Balewa, Akintola and Bello? The plan was to kill everyone of these leaders, but for some patriotic reasons Okpara escaped unscathed! And Zik just happened to go on a cruise at the time the coup was imminent?

The coup was vindictive, pure and simple!

7 Likes

Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by Patebere(m): 10:15am On Apr 25, 2015
Volksfuhrer:

This argument doesn't cut it! Okpara was arrested. Why didn't the coup plotters extend the same courtesy to Balewa, Akintola and Bello? The plan was to kill everyone of these leaders, but for some patriotic reasons Okpara escaped unscathed! And Zik just happened to go on a cruise at the time the coup was imminent?

The coup was vindictive, pure and simple!

Trace bak d history, u'll find out that Balewa and Bello were the two problems of the nation. They were deeply soaked in tribalism. Let me tell you why Akintola was killed. He got d pre-in4matn of d coup and dat soldiers were on their way to his house. He armed himself and waited 4 them. He opened fire on them first and wounded many including Cpt. Nwobosi who led the team. They really had no choice
Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by babs01(m): 10:18am On Apr 25, 2015
none
Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by ArodeTsolaye: 10:23am On Apr 25, 2015
Segeggs:
we are talking about regional and national leaders, not an high ranking officer who wasn't even a major.

His death was a collateral damage.

Segun, The killing of the Nigerian Quater-master general (if you know what this means) by Majors Ademoyega and Ifeajuna in lagos can not be termed 'collateral damage', it can only be planned.

Finally a Colonel is senior to a Major in the army, Col Unegbe was senior to Lt Col Ojukwu and Gowon at that time. Please be correctly informed before rushing to hit your keypad.

1 Like

Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by ArodeTsolaye: 10:29am On Apr 25, 2015
Volksfuhrer:
[s]

Col. Unegbe! Seriously! We are talking about the killing of regional leaders, look at what you brought to this discourse!

If they had killed the Eastern leaders as was originally planned, there probably might not have been a civil war that subsequently killed millions!

Those coup plotters that 'failed' in the East set this nation backwards several decades. Their blunder was arguably the dumbest blunder in the history of coup plotting![/s]

Stop ranting and start reading. Go to the bookshop and pick the book "Why we struck by Wale ademoyega. Come back and let's chat.
Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by tomakint: 10:47am On Apr 25, 2015
My 100% support goes to Kaduna Nzeogwu and co for ridding off from our polity what would have consumed us (majorly the Southerners and the minority Northerners) at that time. The planned Jan. 17 'Operation No Mercy' Jihad by Sardauna and his collaborators by Arab henchmen would have turned Nigeria into a theatre of blood never before witnessed in the history of Africa. Thank God these young men struck first. The Civil War is a movement by the Igbos against oppression by the megalomanic North!

2 Likes

Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by Volksfuhrer(m): 11:16am On Apr 25, 2015
Patebere:

Trace bak d history, u'll find out that Balewa and Bello were the two problems of the nation. They were deeply soaked in tribalism. Let me tell you why Akintola was killed. He got d pre-in4matn of d coup and dat soldiers were on their way to his house. He armed himself and waited 4 them. He opened fire on them first and wounded many including Cpt. Nwobosi who led the team. They really had no choice

I am laughing as I type this...Akintola had to be killed because he fired on them first? Balewa and Bello too had to be killed because they were tribal? Or perhaps you are just pulling my leg.

Anyway, let's cut to the chase. Those that would be killed had been prearranged for death long before that fateful day. They were not going to arrest Akintola at all. It was death by dawn! Ditto Bello and Balewa. But miraculously our leaders in the East were spared because their sins were not as great!

Even Nzeogwu felt so betrayed he called some of his colleagues especially those that failed in the East and those that spared Ironsi tribalists!

The 1966 coup would have made sense only if Igbo leaders had not been spared. What happened eventually was selective justice. And here we are today still talking about it! It was not our military's finest hour.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by Volksfuhrer(m): 11:45am On Apr 25, 2015
ArodeTsolaye:

Stop ranting and start reading. Go to the bookshop and pick the book "Why we struck by Wale ademoyega. Come back and let's chat.

I have read Ademoyega and a whole lot more about the 1966 coup. Why you got stuck with Ademoyega's interpretation of events explains your apparent naivete.

Ademoyega could only present his own perspective about why they struck which was also similar to Nzeogwu's. However, there was no way these two could have known the true intentions of the other coup plotters. It dawned on Nzeogwu eventually that he had been used for a sectional escapade, that some of his colleagues were not the nationalists they pretended to be!

When you have read more widely, you may reply with a much informed rejoinder.

Kindest regards
Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Apr 25, 2015
ArodeTsolaye:

Segun, The killing of the Nigerian Quater-master general (if you know what this means) by Majors Ademoyega and Ifeajuna in lagos can not be termed 'collateral damage', it can only be planned.

Finally a Colonel is senior to a Major in the army, Col Unegbe was senior to Lt Col Ojukwu and Gowon at that time. Please be correctly informed before rushing to hit your keypad.
ok

Can't you stop opening different handles using people's name? It's getting boring.
Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by ArodeTsolaye: 1:49pm On Apr 25, 2015
Segeggs:
ok

Can't you stop opening different handles using people's name? It's getting boring.

This is my real name.

Anyway Please direct your advice to yourself and your brothers. If they take your advice, we'll follow suit.
Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by ArodeTsolaye: 2:03pm On Apr 25, 2015
tomakint:
My 100% support goes to Kaduna Nzeogwu and co for ridding off from our polity what would have consumed us (majorly the Southerners and the minority Northerners) at that time. The planned Jan. 17 'Operation No Mercy' Jihad by Sardauna and his collaborators by Arab henchmen would have turned Nigeria into a theatre of blood never before witnessed in the history of Africa. Thank God these young men struck first. The Civil War is a movement by the Igbos against oppression by the megalomanic North!

Sometimes, I wish all yorubas were like this gentleman. Never swayed by baseless sentiments. Always objective and spot-on. Thumbs up Tom.

1 Like

Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by raumdeuter: 2:04pm On Apr 25, 2015
Patebere:

Whats wrong for Bello to be holding meetings with the Prime Minister when they are from the same party?

Tell me what is nationalistic?

There were 4 premiers in the country

1 Hausa, 1 Yoruba, 2 Ibos. Nationalistic means killing the 2 non Ibos and sparing the 2 Ibos? Only the non Ibos were corrupt?

We have a President and a prime minister Northern. Nationalistic is to kill the Hausa and spare the Ibo?

WHat of the numerous Ibos in cabinet position that time? None of them was corrupt?

E.g you come home you saw that your kids and your friends kids have made a mess of the house, Your friend chose to punish your own kids and not his

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by Patebere(m): 3:38pm On Apr 25, 2015
[quote ad duthor=Volksfuhrer post=33090129]

I am laughing as I type this...Akintola had to be killed because he fired on them first? Balewa and Bello too had to be killed because they were tribal? Or perhaps you are just pulling my leg.

Anyway, let's cut to the chase. Those that would be killed had been prearranged for death long before that fateful day. They were not going to arrest Akintola at all. It was death by dawn! Ditto Bello and Balewa. But miraculously our leaders in the East were spared because their sins were not as great!

Even Nzeogwu felt so betrayed he called some of his colleagues especially those that failed in the East and those that spared Ironsi tribalists!

The 1966 coup would have made sense only if Igbo leaders were not spared. What happened eventually was selective justice. And here we are today still talking about it! It was not our military's finest hour.

[/quote]
But do u knw Brig Ademulegun wouldn't hav bn killed if he had not resisted arrest. Same goes for Sodeinde. Why was Kashim Shettima, d northern region governor, not killed? Rather he was arrested and taken to the brigade headquarters. He himself later attested that his captors gave him d best hospitality.
Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by Patebere(m): 3:51pm On Apr 25, 2015
raumdeuter:

Whats wrong for Bello to be holding meetings with the Prime Minister when they are from the same party?

Tell me what is nationalistic?

There were 4 premiers in the country

1 Hausa, 1 Yoruba, 2 Ibos. Nationalistic means killing the 2 non Ibos and sparing the 2 Ibos? Only the non Ibos were corrupt?

We have a President and a prime minister Northern. Nationalistic is to kill the Hausa and spare the Ibo?

WHat of the numerous Ibos in cabinet position that time? None of them was corrupt?

E.g you come home you saw that your kids and your friends kids have made a mess of the house, Your friend chose to punish your own kids and not his

Zik was out of the country when d coup took place. How could he hav possibly been a victim. Remember dat d 1975 coup dat ousted Gowon took place in his absence too. Personally, I blame d executors of d coup in the south as being responsible for its failure. Had it been Ironsi was done away with, it would have succeeded. Note also that the key-people who aborted d coup were Igbos too. So if the coup was an Igbo thing, then its failure was also an Igbo thing. So let me ask u, where do d Igbos stand on this? And does dat mean that it was only the Igbos that were in the Nigerian army? For plannin a coup and at the same time forstalling it.

1 Like

Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Apr 25, 2015
Patebere:

I want to object to ur point and rather state that the 1966 coup was more necessary than the biafran war. because, as at the time of d coup, d nation was in total mess, corruption was d other of the day and tribalism was rili being played out. The army was even being politicized. Sumtin needed 2 be done, and desperately too. That was just wat the guys did to salvage the situation. But, I tink the civil war was just a case of two egos being played out by the two main protagonists of both sides. Declaring war when u did nt have all it took to prosecute d war was nt really advisable

The Igbo officers led by Nzegwu are just too myopic just like Zik!
Who told them they could fix Nigeria and make a nation out of it?

Nigeria is not a country but a slave camp created by slave traders.

Nigeria has no foundation!
the coup was not necessary, they would had simply face the Eastern Region to develop it an allow Nigeria to collapse!

It is so painful that many of our people are still making the mistakes of 1996!

1 Like

Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by Vicotex(m): 5:10pm On Apr 25, 2015
noblezone:

The Igbo officers led by Nzegwu are just too myopic just like Zik!
Who told them they could fix Nigeria and make a nation out of it?

Nigeria is not a country but a slave camp created by slave traders.

Nigeria has no foundation!
the coup was not necessary, they would had simply face the Eastern Region to develop it an allow Nigeria to collapse!

It is so painful that many of our people are still making the mistakes of 1996!
Mama Ijebu, abeg give this guy 1 bottle of Orijin.
Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by Volksfuhrer(m): 7:30pm On Apr 25, 2015
Patebere:

But do u knw Brig Ademulegun wouldn't hav bn killed if he had not resisted arrest. Same goes for Sodeinde. Why was Kashim Shettima, d northern region governor, not killed? Rather he was arrested and taken to the brigade headquarters. He himself later attested that his captors gave him d best hospitality.

You don't expect coup plotters to kill everybody! They are only interested in those who wield power, those who could oppose them.

Shettima was governor but ceremonial, Bello wielded power.

Maimalari was the highest ranked Northern officer, killed.

Ademulegun was the highest ranked officer from the West, killed on his bed with his wife.

Ironsi, the overall commander of the Army who was from the East, escaped! And while he was trying to foil the coup, he met some of the conspirators at a road block who for some strange reason lost their nerves to arrest or kill him at that critical moment! Question: was Ironsi not resisting the coup at that point in time? If he was, why then was he spared?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by tomakint: 7:44pm On Apr 25, 2015
ArodeTsolaye:

Sometimes, I wish all yorubas were like this gentleman. Never swayed by baseless sentiments. Always objective and spot-on. Thumbs up Tom.
Thanks bro, we are supposed to put the revisionists back to their places. @ Noblezone, those revolutionaires meant business to liberate this country from the hands of Sardauna and his cronies but the guy stationed at Lagos, Ifeajuna Emmanuel, bungled the coup, hence, where we are today!

1 Like

Re: January 1966 Coup Or Biafran War? by Nobody: 11:17pm On Apr 27, 2015
tomakint:

Thanks bro, we are supposed to put the revisionists back to their places. @ Noblezone, those revolutionaires meant business to liberate this country from the hands of Sardauna and his cronies but the guy stationed at Lagos, Ifeajuna Emmanuel, bungled the coup, hence, where we are today!

Those revolutionaries were myopic, else they would had seen that Nigeria was too down the dunghill to be rescued.
I insist they should had used all the intelligence and resources to pay attention to the Eastern States than trying to rescue Nigeria!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

After Mart Of P I B All Yorubas In Oil Companies In Ss Se Given Quite Notice / Why GEJ Has Said Nothing About Radio Biafra / Eziachi Writes: Buhari, Nigerian First Leader?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.