Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,430 members, 7,808,532 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:10 PM

Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? (15977 Views)

Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! / Get Professionally Certified In Any Course Of Your Choice In Dubai. / Fidelity Bank, Best Bank To Work For In Nigeria – Survey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by philfrey08: 1:12pm On Jul 29, 2015
D
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by RichDad1(m): 1:12pm On Jul 29, 2015
Igbobi tins.
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by philfrey08: 1:12pm On Jul 29, 2015
D
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by philfrey08: 1:13pm On Jul 29, 2015
D
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by kennyman2000(m): 1:13pm On Jul 29, 2015
Yes... When i was working with myself..
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by sonnie10: 1:16pm On Jul 29, 2015
Sweat too much.
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by Israel5(m): 1:20pm On Jul 29, 2015
I'ld probably reach my office without my legs because they will fall off on the way. Can you ride from keffi to central area, Abuja? You would probably not feel your legs when/if you arrive on time and intact. So my dear, i'll do bicycles when Cars go extinct.
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by LaRoyalHighness(f): 1:21pm On Jul 29, 2015
It's a no no.... Even power bikers complain .... Our roads are too narrow...with lots of pot holes.
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by pedroblings: 1:24pm On Jul 29, 2015
READ MORE : www.agbotrends.com
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by mrkings84(m): 1:25pm On Jul 29, 2015
Do that here and u will become a ceceb. cos all eyes will be on u!
Meanwhile, DO YOU KNOW YOU CAN BECOME AN EXTRAORDINARY MILLIONAIRE TOMORROW JUST BY JOINING ALLIANCE IN MOTION GLOBAL TODAY?? In AIM GLOBAL, people from all works of life are making it big with this mind blowing networking company. Pls don't say u were not told!! For more info call or WhatsApp 08034704620. BBM Pin 562006D1
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by musicwriter(m): 1:27pm On Jul 29, 2015
naijacutee:
Hi guys,

Sometimes I enjoy cycling to work to get some exercise and to avoid traffic. I live in the UK, and although this isn't very safe here (it's safer in the Scandinavia), I cycle on walking pavements since I would love to return home to my family in one piece. I'd like to know if there are any keen cyclists who out of choice cycle to work, or cycle for leisure in Nigeria. I'd really like to continue cycling when I inevitably move back to Nigeria especially as it is my only serious form of exercise, so it would be great to know what the current climate is like.

Well, that would depend on location. You would be able to cycle to work in the villages or suburbs, or may be in less populated states, but definitely not in a hectic city like Lagos. I just thought of this last week as I was coming back from Ikeja.

Problem here is the Lagos state government have no plans for common people, and it shows clearly on how they've structured the roads without any consideration whatsoever for cyclists. The portion of the road that was supposed to be cyclist lane was used to plant flowers, instead.

2 Likes

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by Ajawuihevictor(m): 1:27pm On Jul 29, 2015
When I worked in Kano, I cycle to the office in the morning, cos its you see people doing the same.
Ibo boys going to their shops with their bicycles and above all, there exist this respect for all road users in Kano.
Knock down a cyclist or a biker, lynching is guaranteed.

2 Likes

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jul 29, 2015
[size=19pt] In bonny island, Rivers State. 80% of the people here own a neat bicycle. That's what we use when going to work, not like they can't afford a car or something(oyel workers), its more like a tradition here. [/size]

3 Likes

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by Babalegba(m): 1:32pm On Jul 29, 2015
naijacutee:
Hi guys,

Sometimes I enjoy cycling to work to get some exercise and to avoid traffic. I live in the UK, and although this isn't very safe here (it's safer in the Scandinavia), I cycle on walking pavements since I would love to return home to my family in one piece. I'd like to know if there are any keen cyclists who out of choice cycle to work, or cycle for leisure in Nigeria. I'd really like to continue cycling when I inevitably move back to Nigeria especially as it is my only serious form of exercise, so it would be great to know what the current climate is like.
You ride your bike on walking pavements in the UK and you actually have the guts to say it openly on the internet. Are you for real SMH.
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by pheesayor(m): 1:35pm On Jul 29, 2015
You can't cycle to work in Nigeria due to the hot weather, you'll be all sweaty before you get to work. I once did it and always have to change clothes when I get to work, not all companies will allow this
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by BOWOTO(m): 1:35pm On Jul 29, 2015
I've said this before and I will say it again,Nigerian have a very big ego and nothing to show for it,id love to ride a bike to work, to school, to the supermarket, but our big ego won't allow that, we keep calling ourselves giants of Africa, on what basis please.

2 Likes

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by azpekuliar: 1:37pm On Jul 29, 2015
iPopAlomo:
If you live on the mainland and work on the island... not possible...
For the people about to slay me...
think about it...
cycling on third mainland bridge...?
or cycling from iyana ipaja to Ojuelegba...
the OP should be fine if you don't live too far from work and you can always cycle during weekends...

My motorbike is my preferred means of commuting to work everyday (mainland - Island - mainland), and I pass a few cyclists on the bridge every now and then. So I am convinced that that means of commuting to work is increasingly becoming an option for bicycle enthusiasts.
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by IceDude(m): 1:42pm On Jul 29, 2015
Riding a bicycle to work in Nigeria? Adonbilivit!.....I cant imagine sumone dressed in suit or agbada riding a bicycle to work. Nigerians will just give u a new name Mr/Mrs "Aka gum"grin

1 Like

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by godoluwa(m): 1:48pm On Jul 29, 2015
2pointsonly:
[size=19pt] here in bonny island, Rivers State. 80% of the people here own a neat bicycle. That's what we use when going to work, not like they can't afford a car or something(oyel workers), its more like a tradition here. [/size]
xo na bonny una dey? dat island wey get 24/7 electricity all year round. choi, una dey enjoy

1 Like

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by 912(m): 1:52pm On Jul 29, 2015
sometimes I leave my car at home and ride my bike to the office. I love riding smiley it's much more fun than driving. Although the office is not so far from home so I dont get there sweating like christmas cow cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by flyca: 1:52pm On Jul 29, 2015
Even professors cycle to school here. Hehehe. Its is very normal for working class people to own a car and a bicycle and they alternate their use.

First, it reduces road traffic congestion. Next its a great form of exercise. 90% of students here own bicycles, I have never seen any student that owns a car. Yeah, yeah, tell me Chinese people are all poor.

Most importantly, it reduces air pollution caused by exhaust fumes.

I learned to ride bicycle here and I'm loving it! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by ttmacoy: 2:02pm On Jul 29, 2015
I wouldn't cycle in a city like Lagos with the crazy driving th goes on there. Not safe. In some calmer cities maybe but the fact that there are no cycle lanes or any provision made for cycling will put me off.

naijacutee:

Lol. I just need to know if it's practical. I don't really care about what people think to be honest. People thinking I'm poor won't remove/add anything from my body :-). Let them think what they want.
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by Litmus: 2:03pm On Jul 29, 2015
Jeromejnr:
Due to most Naija folks uncivilised mentality. If you try that here...the abuse you will get on the road that day, you won't try it again.

It's supposed to be a normal thing as it is in places like Australia, U.K, France e.t.c.

But the local people are trying to form what they are not. Mtcheew.

Actually, the abuse of cyclists is one of the main issues concerning cycling in so-called civilized world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvziT5Fh4Ns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN-lnwX_bjI
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by redcliff: 2:06pm On Jul 29, 2015
naijacutee:

Lol. I just need to know if it's practical. I don't really care about what people think to be honest. People thinking I'm poor won't remove/add anything from my body :-). Let them think what they want.

Me too. I like the idea of cycling especially when i left Nigeria. I am hoping that i can cycle again if i get back there again and i fing dont care what people would think about me but one should understand that its almost very unsafe because there are alot of mad people on the road. If a trailer or bus can hit or fall on a car and kill the people in it, is someone safer with a bike? And the weather isnt so good for this also. You dressed up for work and ride under the really hot weather accompanied with dust and mud and you think you would have a swell day at work? Some comapnied abroad provide a bathroom for employees so in some cases its easier to just get to work, take your bath and continue your work but where can you see that in naija? The only way you would enjoy a bike ride is for sports alone.. and yea e-bikes are the newest things in bicycle history now!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by ttmacoy: 2:15pm On Jul 29, 2015
Hahaha I can just picture OP cycling on third mainland bridge. That will be hell.

iPopAlomo:
If you live on the mainland and work on the island... not possible...
For the people about to slay me...
think about it...
cycling on third mainland bridge...?
or cycling from iyana ipaja to Ojuelegba...
the OP should be fine if you don't live too far from work and you can always cycle during weekends...
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by Mznaett: 2:20pm On Jul 29, 2015
Hmm
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by Koolking(m): 2:20pm On Jul 29, 2015
naijacutee:
Hi guys,

Nigerians are too proud to ride bicycles as an exercise, let alone to work. You'll be seen as a commoner.

Lady, once you are back in Nigeria, we can form a clique of cyclists for health
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by pussygotlips: 2:22pm On Jul 29, 2015
Oh that's my hobby, every week i used to cover a distance of more than 20 kilometres
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by igbakigba2t15: 2:22pm On Jul 29, 2015
Just do your own thing like this papa doing it to keep fit

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by MicroBox: 2:37pm On Jul 29, 2015
@OP what about the odour.,the sweat.,the weather.,the roughness after getting to work
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by Ndukwe007(m): 2:46pm On Jul 29, 2015
naijacutee:

I hear there's a ferry that travels from the mainland to the island. Perhaps one could carry the bike on the ferry?
most ferries are small. your bike might not have space in there.
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by Holamidhe(m): 2:49pm On Jul 29, 2015
I remember some years back when my big brother saw my bicycle,he was like "Ola is this your bicycle??...I remember those days" .I looked at him and told him like u dey craze, people wey old pass u dey ride am (for my mind)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG February Salary 2017 / Why The Education You Received Might Fail You / How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.