Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,954 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:09 AM

I Am Still Alive, I Am Still Relevant - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Am Still Alive, I Am Still Relevant (12152 Views)

I Am Still Alive / Ooni Of Ife’s Last Photo Alive: Oba Sijuwade Rides Rolls Royce Car With Sons / Oba Of Benin Is Alive -traditional Council (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Still Alive, I Am Still Relevant by mfuasi: 5:36pm On Apr 30, 2015
KenolKobil which has a 98% market share is wholly owned by Kenyans and listed in the Nairobi stock exchange.Just like all the other major companies.All the major companies in Nigeria is owned by foreigners like shoprite, mtn ,Vodafone etc.You don't find that in Kenya at all, we have our own companies broda.

1 Like

Re: I Am Still Alive, I Am Still Relevant by Hercules222(m): 5:42pm On Apr 30, 2015
mfuasi:

The whole of Nairobi and its environs is about 3 million.Your numbers are off lol.Lagos is 90% slum and has almost as much people as the whole of Kenya.Realistically, that is the biggest slum in Africa by a long shot. A village of 500,000 is a city my friend, and Owerri is just one of many.With all that oil and human resources why so poor?
lmao! grin

This must be the greatest joke ever, this guy literaly turned figures around. grin

In the list of world 5 largest slums, kiberi in niarobi with 3m slum dwellers is ranked number 1, others are in brazil and india, a slum in capetown occupies the 5th place, nigguh this thing is in wikipedia naaau! grin

Lagos has less than 40percent slum dwellers, it should be around 20 by now, since makoko slum has since been demolished by 2013. grin grin

To be frank with u, mostly foriegners are in the city center of niarobi, majority of kenyans in niarobi are located in kiberia, nigga i have seen the documentary on aljazeera before. grin grin

Its shameful and sad u call owerri a city, maybe by kenyan standards, here owerri is a village, well owerri should be better off than must kenyan cities honestly. grin Apart from niarobi, the rest is nothing to talk about. grin

Actually, only 33.3 percent of nigerians are poor by world bank report of 2014, so i wonder what u are talking about? grin
Re: I Am Still Alive, I Am Still Relevant by mfuasi: 5:48pm On Apr 30, 2015
Just for perspective, the poor 33% is larger than the entire population of Kenya and Tanzania combined. There is no way any comparison will go your way.Quit while you can. wink
Re: I Am Still Alive, I Am Still Relevant by Hercules222(m): 5:50pm On Apr 30, 2015
mfuasi:
KenolKobil which has a 98% market share is wholly owned by Kenyans and listed in the Nairobi stock exchange.Just like all the other major companies.All the major companies in Nigeria is owned by foreigners like shoprite, mtn ,Vodafone etc.You don't find that in Kenya at all, we have our own companies broda.
grin grin grin

No vodafone in nigeria pls. Nigeria has about 55percent stock on mtn grin , GLO which is a nigerian telecom company has more than 30million subscribers in nigeria( almost the population of kenya) and is in all west african countries. grin grin

Nigeria is not owned by foriegners the same way kenya is owned by foriegners, yes they are foriegn investments, nigeria has a large stock in them as well and nigerian companies are all major players in nigeria economy. grin

Dangote cememnt is the larges producer of cement in africa with plants in host of african countries including southafrica and construction already started in kenya as well. grin

My guy, nigeria is not own by foriegners like ur country, even axum was een bragging about how somals run and owns kenya. grin
Re: I Am Still Alive, I Am Still Relevant by Hercules222(m): 5:53pm On Apr 30, 2015
mfuasi:
Just for perspective, the poor 33% is larger than the entire population of Kenya and Tanzania combined. There is no way any comparison will go your way.Quit while you can. wink
lmaoooo! What about the rich, more than the population of the whole east africa. grin grin grin

Now what is the percentage of poor people in kenya, anything below 15 percent is unacceptable, as a small nation it is expected that close to 80 percent will be rich. grin
Re: I Am Still Alive, I Am Still Relevant by Hercules222(m): 5:57pm On Apr 30, 2015
mfuasi:

You are living in denial.Niger capital for a reason.Living a in your own delusional world is not healthy.
The fact that u are trying to potray small kenya as having steady power supply is actually an insult. grin grin

Kenyans experience power cuts on a daily basis, small population and still yet has a lesser number of people even percentage wise connected to the national grid compared to nigeria. grin grin

Least i forget, we produce more power than kenya. grin grin
Re: I Am Still Alive, I Am Still Relevant by Nobody: 12:06am On May 01, 2015
Hercules222:
The fact that u are trying to potray small kenya as having steady power supply is actually an insult. grin grin

Kenyans experience power cuts on a daily basis, small population and still yet has a lesser number of people even percentage wise connected to the national grid compared to nigeria. grin grin

Least i forget, we produce more power than kenya. grin grin
A.Kenya DOES NOT experience Power cuts on a daily basis.The area I am in has had only 1 power blackout in 2 months and it was a maintenance blackout.
There is no part of the country where there are daily power cuts.The last time that happened was in 2001.
That is why very few people in Kenya own generators. Part of Kenya's grid is ageing,mainly in the West and parts of the Coast but Nairobi,Central Kenya,Most of Mombasa(which btw has two diesel fired stations,a gas fired station and more under construction around it)and Eastern Kenya have an excellent grid .
When there is a blackout,it is more likely to be sabotage than a shortage of power or grid issues.
It is very true that as a Percentage,Kenya has fewer people connected to the power grid than Nigeria
The difference is that Nigeria has stagnated(and even declined) in the percentage of those connected to the power grid.Which for some unknown reason never exceeds 48%It reaches there then starts hopping backwards(I presume due to population growth).
Kenya rose from 23% in 2010 to 28% in 2012 to 36% in 2014.The aim is 70% by 2020.
When it comes to power Nigeria has one characteristic that baffles everyone else.Fluctuating Megawatts.Sometimes it produces 3000 MW sometimes close to 6000 MW.
Kenya has never ever,even in the 2000 drought,ever had a decline in electricity production.Stagnation.Yes.Decline.No.If the dams water level fell,Emergency Power replaced it.Even today that contigency remains(Also the reason power is steady).
Nigeria produces more power than Kenya but barely so.Considering that Nigeria's electricity is meant to serve 180 million people while Kenya's power is meant to serve 45 million,Kenya has a much much higher per capita electricity than Nigeria. Plus
if Nigeria continues to drag its feet as it is now,Kenya which is busy adding Wind power this year,more geothermal next year and Nuclear from 2022 will exceed Nigeria in power supply.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Still Alive, I Am Still Relevant by Nobody: 12:33am On May 01, 2015
Hercules222:
grin grin grin

No vodafone in nigeria pls. Nigeria has about 55percent stock on mtn grin , GLO which is a nigerian telecom company has more than 30million subscribers in nigeria( almost the population of kenya) and is in all west african countries. grin grin

Nigeria is not owned by foriegners the same way kenya is owned by foriegners, yes they are foriegn investments, nigeria has a large stock in them as well and nigerian companies are all major players in nigeria economy. grin

Dangote cememnt is the larges producer of cement in africa with plants in host of african countries including southafrica and construction already started in kenya as well. grin

My guy, nigeria is not own by foriegners like ur country, even axum was een bragging about how somals run and owns kenya. grin
No Vodafone in Kenya either.Last I checked.
But MTN andAirtel have a much larger market share combined than Glo and the first two are foreign owned
Last I checked on MTN Nigeria's own Website.Only 18.7% of MTN is owned by Nigerians.
On the other hand 60% of Safaricom is owned by either the Government ofKenya or by Kenyans at the stock exchange.
Nigeria's Tellecommunication's sector is nothing to brag about.Kenya has a vibrant ICT sector with mobile based solutions and innovations like MPESA, Chura, and the like. If Numbers mattered so much,why did Airtel choose to build its Africa HQ in Nairobi and not Nigeria despite it having nearly 10 times the subscribers??Anyone ever told you how Airtel almost gives away data bundles in Kenya and has products like M-Health and the Airtel Money Visa Card while Nigeria...well. ..
As for Dagonte Cement.The factory's capacity will be much smaller than Bamburi(Owned 45% by the Government and stock exchange) East Africa Portland (52% Government hence a parastatal) or Athi River mining(70% Kenyan shareholding).
Kenya is owned by Kenyans!!!
I am yet to see any Nigerian company with clout or quality beyond Dagonte's company.
Btw.Our Supermarkets are nearly 100% owned by Kenyans.
Nakumatt(Kenyan)
Tuskys(Kenyan)
Naivas(Kenyan)
Uchumi(Kenyan)
Ukwala(Kenyan)
The 5 represent 88% of all retail and wholesale shopping.
Even smaller chains like Maathai and Eastmatt are all Kenyan.
Btw.South African firms have tried.And failed to succeed in Kenya.Sorry.If Shoprite came to Kenya.All kenyan supermarkets would simply start a 'Buy Kenyan 'campaign and they would follow Castle lager,Nandos and the like in exiting.And I would NEVER.EVER Shop in Shoprite unless I was in S.A itself.
Nigeria's retail is like an extension of South Africa.
Axum is an Egohead who has never even stepped in Kenya and has an inflated view of a few somali owned dukas in the Shiathole we call Eastleigh.Please mention even 1large Somali owned company in Kenya,even by Kenyan SomalisTHEY DO NOT EXIST!!

3 Likes

Re: I Am Still Alive, I Am Still Relevant by Coldplay89(m): 12:57pm On May 01, 2015
Hercules222:
Mfuasi can u compare ur nairobi to this? grin The only kenyan village, the rest are bushes grin

https://www.nairaland.com/1371487/lagos-family-houses-pictures
I came accross this thread,(Kenya vs Tanzania tiff) man these Kenyans are verrry much ahead, no hate bro but let truth be told, they beat their bigger neighbor hands down!

http://www.jamiiforums.com/kenyan-news/225589-kenyan-and-tanzanian-surburbs.html

Kenya too seems quite developed

1 Like

Re: I Am Still Alive, I Am Still Relevant by axum: 11:12am On May 03, 2015
PLEASE DONT RUIN MY THREAD cheesy STAY ON TOPIC. THE TOPIC IS ME AND MY RELEVANCY. smiley
Re: I Am Still Alive, I Am Still Relevant by Coldplay89(m): 6:18pm On May 19, 2015
He he he, Hercules222 couldnt come back and respond after seeing this: http://www.jamiiforums.com/kenyan-news/225589-kenyan-and-tanzanian-surburbs-72.html
grin grin grin grin grin grin

Check out where the Kenya real estate industry is ranked: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_estate_in_Kenya
Nigeria features nowhere. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: I Am Still Alive, I Am Still Relevant by axum: 5:55am On Jun 08, 2015
Jkeerrr and Rcv need to die slowly
Re: I Am Still Alive, I Am Still Relevant by Coldplay89(m): 2:42pm On Jun 08, 2015
More Nairobi Suburbs!!!!

Re: I Am Still Alive, I Am Still Relevant by Coldplay89(m): 3:23pm On Jun 08, 2015
More Nairobi.....

Re: I Am Still Alive, I Am Still Relevant by axum: 7:57pm On Jun 12, 2015
^ Somalia looked better than Kenya before the war. Most of those buildings belong to whites and most of the money in Nairobi is cause of foreigners including Somali business people
Re: I Am Still Alive, I Am Still Relevant by gallivant: 11:25pm On Jun 12, 2015
axum:
^ Somalia looked better than Kenya before the war. Most of those buildings belong to whites and most of the money in Nairobi is cause of foreigners including Somali business people

Hence why you remain irrelevant around here. Nobody has time for fairy tales.
Re: I Am Still Alive, I Am Still Relevant by Coldplay89(m): 4:17pm On Jun 15, 2015
axum:

Really? Evidence, my envious brother....

Well, it will take Mogadishu over 50 years to achieve these!!!

Re: I Am Still Alive, I Am Still Relevant by Coldplay89(m): 4:21pm On Jun 15, 2015
I love this one Axum....

Re: I Am Still Alive, I Am Still Relevant by Nobody: 1:10pm On Dec 07, 2015
axum:
Somalia looked better than Kenya before the war.
Somalia looked like a half baked coastal slum like Bagamoyo,Tanzania before the war. Mogadishu looks like Mombasa,s Old Town.
Most of those buildings belong to Whites....
Since when did whites start settling in Langata,(0% White),Nyayo Estate(Owned by the Government of Kenya) Ngara(the new houses are built by the Ministry of Housing)??Egghead!!!
Most of the Business in Nairobi is from.... The Government of Kenya and its parastatals who own half the skyscrappers in the city.
There is not a single skyscrapper in the city of Nairobi owned by a Somali,Kenyan or non Kenyan.They are all holed up in that horror of an estate called Eastleigh,

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Zulu Maidens Bare Breasts As They Prepare For Mini Reed Dance (photos) / Can Minorities Be Racist? / The Meaning Of Aguda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.