Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,390 members, 7,808,378 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:11 AM

How Do You Know You Have The Holy Spirit? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do You Know You Have The Holy Spirit? (8843 Views)

These 2 Nigerian Pastors Don’t Have The Holy Spirit In Them / The Holy Spirit Is Evil Spirit: Bible Evidence / God Delivered My Sister From The Spirit Of Insanity: My Testimony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Know You Have The Holy Spirit? by elveco: 12:51pm On Apr 29, 2015
@tim26will

1 Corinthians 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

Speaking in tongues is one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit and all must not speak in tongues.

To hv a fellowshing wit d Holy Spirit, you must acknowlege - Phil. 2:13. Then Gal 5:16-17, Rom. 8:5-8. Above all, strive to bear the fruit of d Spirit - Gal. 5:22-23

Stay blessed!
Re: How Do You Know You Have The Holy Spirit? by elveco: 12:55pm On Apr 29, 2015
@tim26will

1 Corinthians 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

Speaking in tongues is one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit and all must not speak in tongues.

To hv a fellowshing wit d Holy Spirit, you must acknowlege - Phil. 2:13. Then Gal 5:16-17, Rom. 8:5-8. Above all, strive to bear the fruit of d Spirit - Gal. 5:22-23

Stay blessed!
tim26will:

Then how do the born again fellowship with the Holy Spirit sir. If all must not speak in tongue
Re: How Do You Know You Have The Holy Spirit? by tim26will: 1:21pm On Apr 29, 2015
elveco:
@tim26will

Stay blessed!
No sir, gift of divers tongues is different from speaking in tongue as evidence of Holy Spirit . Every spirit filled Christian MUST SPEAK IN TONGUE sir
Try gain more understanding on it from your Pastor.
Thanks

Re: How Do You Know You Have The Holy Spirit? by tim26will: 1:23pm On Apr 29, 2015
No sir, gift of divers tongues is different from speaking in tongue as evidence of Holy Spirit . Every spirit filled Christian MUST SPEAK IN TONGUE sir
elveco:
@tim26will

Stay blessed!

Re: How Do You Know You Have The Holy Spirit? by elveco: 1:48pm On Apr 29, 2015
tim26will:

Please show me in the bible and I will believe. I know a pastor filled with power but never heard him speak in tongue.

Have you been where Holy Ghost baptism is taking place? Ofcourse some speaks in tongues as a sign but nt all. Some cries, some shout, and so on. I knw some that hav recieved the Holy Spirit but doesnt speak in tongue. Its nt a must and thats not the only sign.
Re: How Do You Know You Have The Holy Spirit? by Image123(m): 11:33pm On Apr 29, 2015
ATMC:
I honestly don't know the answer to this question.
Is it by speaking in tongues? What if I live in sin and speak in tongues, do I still have him? And how do I know I do? And what if I'm not speaking in tongues really but I'm being 'carried':-D away by 'everybody-does-it-so-let-me-do-too' syndrome?
Is it by hearing his voice?Is he my conscience?
Is it by the laying on of hands? What if the person that laid hands on me is not accepted of God, can he still transfer the holy spirit?
Abi Holy Spirit cannot live in 'dust'?
Cc Pastor kun Goshen Ihedinobi Humbledbygrace sukkot dagr8 Anonimus Truthislight and others.

Not a straight answer to this, it's akin to asking how do you know that i have a bank account. There are different ways. But to be clear on one point,
Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

If any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. That is succinct enough i guess though it may get confusing for some then. Every child of God has the Spirit of God. However, having the Spirit of God is different from 'receiving' or being baptized or being FILLED with the Spirit of God. The Holy Spirit is God and is limitless, you don't exactly limit Him to one way or style of manifesting His presence. He might be in the fiore, or might be in the still small voice. He might be in the water, He might be in the tongue. The gifts of the Spirit is not the same thing as the Spirit. One may have the gifts but not have the Spirit or be filled with the Spirit. i'll give five5 ways or markers to know if the Spirit of God is manifestly present(or that you 'have Him').
1. He is Holy.
God or the Holy Spirit can use anything, from a rod/stick of Moses to a dumb donkey. Heck, God uses even devil and evil spirits. So, that God is using something or someone is different from being filled with the Spirit. A person filled with the Spirit is holy. The Spirit of God is Holy as His name unobviously implies.

2. He reproves of sin.
Joh 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
Anyone who is filled with the Spirit would have that manifest reproving of sin and purging. There would be a declaration and boldness about what displeases or offends God, or that is not meeting the standards and requirement of God. When you have a pastor or christian leader who only knows about shows and displays and you don't see no reproof of sin. Your guess is very good, he is not filled.

3. He reproves of righteousness.
Where the Holy Spirit is, there is that continuous thirst and hunger for righteousness, more holiness, more purity. Where all you need is more money, or more miracles, or more prophecies, watch it. The real deal will reprove of righteousness.

4. He reproves of judgement.
When someone is full of the Holy Ghost, you cannot forget that you are a stranger and pilgrim. You will remember Jesus is coming and that you should be prepared. You will know that these are the last days and perilous times and realise the need for more closeness to God, trust in God's grace. You will examine yourself even as he/she has helped examine you and given you a kinda reality check according to God's Word. It's more than religion and meetings and contributions, the Holy Ghost prepares you to escape the wrath to come.

5. He is a burning and shining light.
How do you know that somebody is filled with the Holy Ghost? Such a person is like John baptist, like Stephen, like Paul, like Peter, like John the beloved, a burning and shining light. When you listen to, interact with or live with him/her, your heart is supposed to burn. The life and light is supposed to flow, there is that enigma and almost mysterious life. i'm not just talking about charisma but there's an almost permeable transfer even without necessarily preaching or officiating. Paul found some certain disciples, the thing was not clicking. He had to ask/confirm.
Act 19:2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
That something.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know You Have The Holy Spirit? by ATMC(f): 7:10am On Apr 30, 2015
^thank you. But from your post I understood the Holy Ghost indwelling of us confirms we are God's children. But image123 I'm wondering how this can be ie man laying hands on another in order to receive the Holy Ghost according to the apostles? Jesus received the Holy Ghost without a laying on of hands and when he met with his disciples after resurrection, he said to them 'receive the holy ghost' but he didn't lay hands on them. Why this laying on of hands? Paul did it but the Jesus we follow didn't do it. It kind of makes me wonder if Holy Ghost is really God...for being commanded into man and for being ministered into man by man. You get?
Re: How Do You Know You Have The Holy Spirit? by Image123(m): 11:57pm On May 01, 2015
ATMC:
^thank you. But from your post I understood the Holy Ghost indwelling of us confirms we are God's children. But image123 I'm wondering how this can be ie man laying hands on another in order to receive the Holy Ghost according to the apostles? Jesus received the Holy Ghost without a laying on of hands and when he met with his disciples after resurrection, he said to them 'receive the holy ghost' but he didn't lay hands on them. Why this laying on of hands? Paul did it but the Jesus we follow didn't do it. It kind of makes me wonder if Holy Ghost is really God...for being commanded into man and for being ministered into man by man. You get?

You're welcome. About laying of hands, God is limitless and the 'mother' of invention. In Him dwells all the fullness of wisdom. There are different roads to Rome as it were. Spirits can be 'transferred' in different ways and through several mediums. If you've ever seen or heard people with familiar spirits or witches confess, you would hear how some became initiated or possessed through VARIOUS means. Some through ordinary buscuits(especially the little ones). Some move into their 'spirit world' just by a touch or standing/posing in a particular way/place. God is much more powerful. He heals through different ways and moves in different means. Jesus raised a dead man by touching his bier. Another dead man Lazarus was not raised that same way. Some were healed by Jesus speaking the word only, some had to go to the pool of Siloam and have spittle and sand mixed etc. Similarly, transference of spirit can take different means.
When God transferred spirit/breath to Adam, He breathed into his nostrils.
Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
When God transferred a double portion of Elijah's spirit(which is the Holy Spirit BTW) to Elisha, He used a symbolic mantle. When Jesus breathed on the disciples, He said that they should receive the Spirit, though the baptism came later after the ascension. In the Acts of the apostles, people received the Holy Spirit in different ways. The 120 were simply in one accord in the upper room. Some others had hands laid on them, some it was simply prayer.
Act 4:31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.

Some people received the Holy Ghost by laying of hands before Paul was converted BTW, so it wasn't a Pauline method or invention.
Act 8:17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.
Act 8:18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,

Laying on of hands is just a means(popular) means by which the Holy Ghost can be received. It is by no way the only means as shown already. However, it is a good means and 'biblical' means. The Holy Ghost is not in the laying of the hands, or in the handkerchief, or in the breathing/blowing of air. He can use any of the means and He can choose not too. He is not magic where you/anyone says the right set of incantations/recitations and the door opens or the genie appears. He has a will of His own and can choose to come or not come. Not everyone hands are laid on gets the Holy Ghost. In fact, you can lay hands, blow air, spit, physically manhandle and 'rake' somebody and no sort of ghost will come.

1Ki 19:11 And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and broke in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake:
1Ki 19:12 And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.

From this passage, at this time, God used a still small voice. before the Israelites in the wilderness, it was with great thunderings and wind. Before Moses, it was a burning bush etc. For Jesus, He came as a dove descending, for the 120 it was with cloven tongues as of fire accompanied by a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind. God is not limited.
Prayer is not a command but a request to God. Perhaps, personalities differ but God looks at our hearts and motives as well. Why we may look as if commanding, God sees and acts on faith, and chooses to respect/honour and respond to our faith/belief in His promises.
Re: How Do You Know You Have The Holy Spirit? by ATMC(f): 12:36am On May 02, 2015
^that helped.smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is Jesus Enough? - Andrew Wommack / Is Dr. Dk. Olukoya A Fraud? / Freedom From Religion Is The Best Thing Ever

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.