Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,460 members, 7,808,640 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:39 PM

Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State (69182 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Unveils Logo Of The Yoruba Cultural Carnival Worldwide / What Ethnicity Do Aniocha And Oshimili People Of Delta North Fall Into? / Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by illiad1(m): 10:30pm On Apr 26, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

One thing I know for sure is, as long as you are not Yoruba, you will struggle to rewrite the Yoruba history to fit it in to your monomaniac projections, pulling down Yoruba history to prove that you are something. Who are you?

If Yoruba grandstanding affects you, then you have found an everlasting sorrow, cause greatness will never depart from Yoruba, and day in day out you will keep hearing that name and get your reins sore with bad feelings.

I don't hate any tribe, so I can be happy at their success. Just keep looking for the ultimate vilification of the Yoruba race, when you finds it, the world will celebrate you and do away with the Yoruba.

You see, you have a calling.

sad

Why do you find it difficult to hold intelligent discuss?
That man has made a salient point which you either counter with another fact or accept it without all this your bitterness

17 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by bigfrancis21: 10:37pm On Apr 26, 2015
Afam4eva:
They may have Yoruba ancestry but every olukunmi person that I have come across rings IGBO. I think its mostly a few elderly ones that still possess some Yoruba traits. Zeal of style plus is from there.

You are right, it is mostly the elderly ones who speak a smattering of the language.

1 Like

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Afam4eva(m): 10:39pm On Apr 26, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Stephen Ikechukwu Keshi too is from there.

You are right, it is mostly the elderly ones who speak a smattering of the language.
Stephen Keshi is from Illah.
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by bigfrancis21: 10:46pm On Apr 26, 2015
Afam4eva:

Stephen Keshi is from Illah.

Hmm. I see. I recall reading somewhere that he is from the olukunmi area.

Could you please give a little bit more description of the Olukunmi people you've met - in terms of name, spoken language etc and how they closely resemble Igbo?

I'm interested in knowing this.

1 Like

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by macof(m): 10:47pm On Apr 26, 2015
OROSUNBOLB:

Ewe people,you can read about them.
ewe people are not yoruba. They were driven to their present location by Yorubas (Ketu/Anago) and conquered by Yorubas (Oyo). I think the confusion comes from calling their original homeland Amedz-ofe wit people thinking it has something to do with Ile - Ife. ..

1 Like

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Nobody: 11:10pm On Apr 26, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Could you please give a little bit more description of the Olukunmi people you've met - in terms of name, spoken language etc and how they closely resemble Igbo?

I think it was Nduka Ugbade who you read about and then somehow got him mixed up with Keshi. There was one Olukumi woman who was a beauty queen way back, but I can't remember her name now. Olukumi people are bilingual speaking the Aniocha version of Igbo as well as the Olukumi dialect of Yoruba. The younger generation is losing its fluency in Olukumi, though. But a century ago, when the colonialists got there, they reported that the older men were not very fluent in Igbo, but spoke fluid Olukumi, while the younger people spoke both with equal facility.

They bear some Yoruba names, but Igbo and Bini names appear to be far more common among them, at least today.

3 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by PastorPLC: 11:13pm On Apr 26, 2015
And after, this foolish tribe that called themselves Yoruba will say Igbos should leave Lagos but here they are well received outside their land. Useless people.

12 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Nobody: 11:16pm On Apr 26, 2015
PastorPLC:
And after, this foolish tribe that called themselves Yoruba will say Igbos should leave Lagos but here they are well received outside their land. Useless people.

Well received by whom? Igbos?

The hatred is burning you, 'detox' quickly!

18 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by bigfrancis21: 11:27pm On Apr 26, 2015
Radoillo:

I think it was Nduka Ugbade who you read about and then somehow got him mixed up with Keshi. There was one Olukumi woman who was a beauty queen way back, but I can't remember her name now. Olukumi people are bilingual speaking the Aniocha version of Igbo as well as the Olukumi dialect of Yoruba. The younger generation is losing its fluency in Olukumi, though. But a century ago, when the colonialists got there, they reported that the older men were not very fluent in Igbo, but spoke fluid Olukumi, while the younger people spoke both with equal facility.

They bear some Yoruba names, but Igbo and Bini names appear to be far more common among them, at least today.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by bigfrancis21: 11:28pm On Apr 26, 2015
Afam4eva:
They may have Yoruba ancestry but every olukunmi person that I have come across rings IGBO. I think its mostly a few elderly ones that still possess some Yoruba traits. Zeal of style plus is from there.

And Zeal's full name is Zeal Onyecheme.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Nobody: 11:29pm On Apr 26, 2015
NigerMan1:

absoluteSuccess - Whenever history is brought to the table you Yorubas find it difficult to bring scholarship to the table. True educated and knowledeable HISTORIANS do not recourse to insults and abuse to defend their points.
First did you read that story very well? Tell me the truth - is there anywhere you read (or heard) any of your so-called Yoruba Historians alluded to the fact that people from present day Yorubland are domiciled in present day Delta, via old Benin? Am sure you did not! Why? Because they carefully kept such historical truth from you guys, so they can continue to deceive you - about the lies called "YORUBA"
Again I asked you: "Have you ever accepted the fact that some of your so-called kinsmen are domiciled in Niger Delta? And remember all those places were once under the ruler-ship of the Oba of Benin"
Now this story came out, 100s of Yorubas read it and extremely FEW commented with tongues in your chic, while majority carefully passed off, without commenting. Even you, absoluteSuccess did not comment directly on this historical fact, but instead attacked one of my points!
For me, a story like this has shown that most part of Yoruba History are lies and fables. And I hope you will lesson your boastfulness and grandstanding. I hope your historians will not one day, coupled up lies that those towns are "yorubaland"
NOTE: Stop deceiving yourself, Yoruba is not one. The word/term Yoruba was a mid 19th century appellation to group you guys together. This is a fact of history, well recorded so no one can change it.

NigerMan1:

Ilekeh - there is nothing like Yorubas are everywhere!

The major problem is that most of you calling yourself Yoruba today do not understand or lack knowledge about the ORIGIN of the term/word "Yoruba" and when?why it was used to group different ethnic people in the mid 19th Century.

Here is the true origin of those people:

At the time the Great Benin Kingdom was ruling a vast part of Southern Nigeria, down to Lagos, and part of present day Middle Belt, including present day part of Cameroon and Benin Republic, slave raiding were always carried out by the Benin Warriors.

Those Yorubas were a combination of the Benin slaves and others who later fled from the incessant slave raiding and hide in the Bush. With time, they settled in their present abode.

NOTE: When you see Yoruba speaking people anywhere, as indigene, the right question you should ask is: How did they got there? Most of you guys engage in chest-beating because you do not have wider knowledge of the olden days. In the olden days, there was NO Yoruba as you have it today.

You sound bitterly sore.

I would have spared the time to kick some knowledge your way but apparently, you're a waste of space (and time).

If you're not a disciplined historian (the la cram, la pour - inability to conduct a research type) or not a hostorian at all then desist from flinging the term around or welding it into your frivolous and incoherent nonsense.

Now, run (and quickly) to post history of these handles for knowledge (scholarly backed) on Yoruba and Benin History(ies).

Katsumoto, TerraCota, PhysicsQ, NegroNtns, Macof.

Goodnight.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by macof(m): 11:58pm On Apr 26, 2015
NigerMan1:

The major problem is that most of you calling yourself Yoruba today do not understand or lack knowledge about the ORIGIN of the term/word "Yoruba" and when?why it was used to group different ethnic people in the mid 19th Century.

At the time the Great Benin Kingdom was ruling a vast part of Southern Nigeria, down to Lagos, and part of present day Middle Belt, including present day part of Cameroon and Benin Republic, slave raiding were always carried out by the Benin Warriors.

Those Yorubas were a combination of the Benin slaves and others who later fled from the incessant slave raiding and hide in the Bush. With time, they settled in their present abode.

NOTE: When you see Yoruba speaking people anywhere, as indigene, the right question you should ask is: How did they got there? Most of you guys engage in chest-beating because you do not have wider knowledge of the olden days. In the olden days, there was NO Yoruba as you have it today.
I wanted to ignore you but I noticed people are liking and sharing this piece of scrap

What part of Cameroon and Benin republic was under Bini? What towns?
You confuse Bight of Benin for Benin republic. The bight is merely a coast area Benin traders and warrior protectors camped Mr man. No people to conquer there
then Cameron? Such a suprise, when did Bini overpower Efik and their kin to march into modern Cameroon?

Yoruba Bini salves? ? Which family compounds in Bini city have a history of being yoruba slaves? For example, there are many compounds in my town..even on my street we know as slave compounds and they all trace their origins. .mostly Egbira
surely if yoruba slaves ever existed in Benin city their descendants should still remain
Dahomey don't claim yoruba slaves it's Benin that wants to claim yoruba slaves cheesy grin
Fon Dahomey and Nupe people are the only ones known to capture Yoruba people not Bini nt even in the slightest manner have a yoruba been known to serve a Benin household or man handled and sold by one

The Olukumi by their version of history got to their present land when Benin were still in the Ogiso Era. ..meaning before Benin became an empire. So pls look for another lie

When the name "yoruba" came to use is of no relevance here. Try getting ur Edo people together and quit your yoruba hatred

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by macof(m): 12:10am On Apr 27, 2015
Slizbeat:
Umm,so enlightening.

One question though, Is it the same yorubas dat refused Migration and asking everyone else to go back to their various places/homelands that would have migrated?

something smells fishy here. Why is it that no one can give an account of the language except it be heard from the King?

I hope the king is not trying to impose a new identity to the people by bringing up the Oluku mi stuff.

All the same, if true, what happens? Cos obviously the land doesn't belong to them. Would they go back to Owu/Owo in Ondo? or Wil they keep growing and making headway into Delta so we could all really blend irrespective of our original origin?

Hmm, making sense though.
I have heard the language severally I once lived in a house where Olukumi was the official language grin
but they don't see themselves as yoruba at all, they just say "I am delta"
Don't try to Yorubanise their names more than it already is either, they take offense

4 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by darediamond(m): 12:13am On Apr 27, 2015
Wao!
OROSUNBOLB:
I did not know about this tribe in Delta state until now. They should forge a close tie with the Itshekiris who are known Yorubas. Having said this,oluku mi is not in anyway strange. Yorubas,especially during the slave era, were known as Oluku mi. Oluku mi (Yoruba) people are found almost everywhere in the carribeans (americas), predominantly in Brazil and Cuba. There are so many of them in Bahia,Brazil and yoruba culture is quite visible among these people. They worship Yoruba deities like Sango,Ogun,Osun etc and they also sing yoruba songs (Orin). This is why you don't have to speak portuguese to buy 'Akara' i.e bean cake in Bahia,Brazil. As a Yoruba,just walk up to the black woman(Brazilian) selling bean cake and say 'mo fe ra'kara- I want to buy bean cake. She understands you perfectly and she would even thank you by saying 'o se'! Oluku mi are Yoruba people anywhere in the world.
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Oyecute(m): 2:30am On Apr 27, 2015
NigerMan1:

I guess you were born in the olden days ... One question for U, how come the yorubas are more widely spread than the binis and occupied more geographical landmass? ... What is the correlation between bini language and yoruba? ...mind u, I served in benin city and visited oda places like Uromi, Afuze, okada, auchi, agenebode etc.

13 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Funjosh(m): 4:25am On Apr 27, 2015
NigerMan1:

NOTE: When you see Yoruba speaking people anywhere, as indigene, the right question you should ask is: How did they got there? Most of you guys engage in chest-beating because you do not have wider knowledge of the olden days. In the olden days, there was
NO Yoruba as you have it today.

TRASH lipsrsealed

6 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Funjosh(m): 4:46am On Apr 27, 2015
NigerMan1:

absoluteSuccess - Whenever history is brought to the table you Yorubas find it difficult to bring scholarship to the table. True educated and knowledeable HISTORIANS do not recourse to insults and abuse to defend their points.

First did you read that story very well? Tell me the truth - is there anywhere you read (or heard) any of your so-called Yoruba Historians alluded to the fact that people from present day Yorubland are domiciled in present day Delta, via old Benin? Am sure you did not! Why? Because they carefully kept such historical truth from you guys, so they can continue to deceive you - about the lies called "YORUBA"

Again I asked you: "Have you ever accepted the fact that some of your so-called kinsmen are domiciled in Niger Delta? And remember all those places were once under the ruler-ship of the Oba of Benin"

Now this story came out, 100s of Yorubas read it and extremely FEW commented with tongues in your chic, while majority carefully passed off, without commenting. Even you, absoluteSuccess did not comment directly on this historical fact, but instead attacked one of my points!

For me, a story like this has shown that most part of Yoruba History are lies and fables. And I hope you will lesson your boastfulness and grandstanding. I hope your historians will not one day, coupled up lies that those towns are "yorubaland"

NOTE: Stop deceiving yourself, Yoruba is not one. The word/term Yoruba was a mid 19th century appellation to group you guys together. This is a fact of history, well recorded so no one can change it.

Somebody should tame this man please. lipsrsealed

17 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Afam4eva(m): 6:47am On Apr 27, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I'm interested in knowing this.
All the ones I have met all have an Igbo last name and first name like most Igbos out there and they spoke Igbo too. They look like your typical Igbo person without traces of anything else.

4 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by OROSUNBOLB(m): 9:18am On Apr 27, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

madman1,

Yorubas are "Yoruba" not Benin slaves,

Let the ethnic Itshekiris speak for themselves.

You will always sorrow because you are a sad loser.

You can go on and invite your team members as usual

Then come back here and cry me a river. cheesy

You shouldn't have dignified that f.ool with a response. You should have known that what majority of them lack is education but ironically,they are the ones trying to sell what they do not have. I truly appreciate your contribution. Let's continue to educate them as our fore fathers did. Do have a pleasant day at work.

7 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Canme4u(m): 9:21am On Apr 27, 2015
Nice Piece.
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 12:47pm On Apr 27, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

One thing I know for sure is, as long as you are not Yoruba, you will struggle to rewrite the Yoruba history to fit it in to your monomaniac projections, pulling down Yoruba history to prove that you are something. Who are you?

If Yoruba grandstanding affects you, then you have found an everlasting sorrow, cause greatness will never depart from Yoruba, and day in day out you will keep hearing that name and get your reins sore with bad feelings.

I don't hate any tribe, so I can be happy at their success. Just keep looking for the ultimate vilification of the Yoruba race, when you finds it, the world will celebrate you and do away with the Yoruba.

You see, you have a calling.

sad

absoluteSuccess - why are you fond of diverting stark issues? Can't you try to engage in facts, figures and statstics? History is purely scholarship to prove what WAS, or what WASN'T

You read about a part of Yoruba people being domiciled in Niger Delta. You read the account of their Kings, how they moved into Benin and from there to present day abode.

You and your ilks are systematically bypassing it. Then I went into better details; how they were captured slaves of the old Bini Kings etc. Instead of you to counter with facts or superior elements you went about INSULTING - talking about Yoruba being one.

Bro look at this thread very well: If this people were to be another tribe, found in Yorubaland, your guys would run this thread into dozens pages. Why do hundreds of you Yorubas read this thread and passing off - without comments? Why haven't you bring on some comment or contribute to this historical facts?

Finally you asked me to allow the Itsekiri tell their own story. Good but why do you guys claim they're from you, when many of you do lack knowledge of your own origin?

Anyway here are two ITSEKIRIS telling their story:

1. Read this strong article by J.O.S Ayomike, an Itsekiri Scholar: http://ihuanedo.ning.com/group/healtheducation/forum/topic/show?id=2971192%3ATopic%3A130191&xgs=1&xg_source=msg_share_topic

2. This is from Nairaland: https://www.nairaland.com/2265432/some-interesting-facts-itsekiri-people#32887201

NOTE: One fact is clear, their alluding to Old Bini as either partly ancestry and/or influence.

8 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 12:57pm On Apr 27, 2015
UnknownT:
I still wonder how the Igbos do it, as in they come near you and you lose your original language and start speaking Igbo. Some may say the Olukun mi people were nearer to the Igbos that was why, but what of the Igbo that is being spoken in far away bonny/opobo and some of the people that always claim Benin origin but now use 99% Igbo names and language. And when they achieve this, we don't hear people saying that they were forced to speak/learn Igbo like they are colonial masters

UnknownT - It is not too difficult to know.

Those people were 100% Yoruba people. In those days, the Benin Kings ruled over a vast part of Southern Nigeria, down to Lagos, PLUS part of present day Cameroon and Benin Republic. However the Benin Kings NEVER suppressed the people culturally, even the slaves of Igbo, Igala, Yoruba, Dahomies etc origins were allowed to be.

Therefore when freedom was enacted, and Benin power receded, the smaller groups gradually mixed with others and developed a new culture/languages from their origin and neighbors. Also the British colonialists used IGBO Language which also affected those people to gradually shelve their links to Old Benin Kingdom.

You talked about Opobo: Their language is NOT 100% Igbo as you speak in SE today. Even these Olukun mi people still speak Yoruba language as well.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 1:08pm On Apr 27, 2015
illiad1:

Why do you find it difficult to hold intelligent discuss?
That man has made a salient point which you either counter with another fact or accept it without all this your bitterness

illiad1 - do not worry at all.

I never feel offended when Yorubas turned a discourse of this nature into brickbats, INSULTS and name calling. Do you know the reason: A large part of so-called Yoruba history were weaved together starting from the mid 19th century and established in the 1950s - 1960s.

However they forgot that the Benin History were recorded from 900 AD - by the Portuguese and British sailors, missionaries, visitors, merchants, archeologists and so.

These are in addition to the remnant of Old Bini empire such as Benin Great wall (known as Benin Moat), old sculptures, many smaller kingdoms such as this tribe, the Onitsha people, the Republic of Benin (used to be called Dahomey and changed in 1975 after obtaining permission from Benin King) etc.

Is so bad that when you confront them with solid facts, figures and statistics - Yorubas will go berserk - hurling insults and gutter languages. The problem is: They'd been fed with LIES from the cradle, and they find it very difficult and discomforting to shake off those lies.

illiad1, can't you see how 100s of them opened this thread and never commented?

4 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by absoluteSuccess: 1:21pm On Apr 27, 2015
OROSUNBOLB:

You shouldn't have dignified that f.ool with a response. You should have known that what majority of them lack is education but ironically,they are the ones trying to sell what they do not have. I truly appreciate your contribution. Let's continue to educate them as our fore fathers did. Do have a pleasant day at work.
Wow, I'm enthralled by your comment, thanks. We have to keep these dogs in check, their ambition is to tear the intellectual Statutes of our ancestors down into shreds because we have certain things in common with them. Why create 'Ikwere/Igbo' feud between Yoruba and Edo when no Yoruba is here claiming 'Edo are Yoruba' anymore. Now the madman is trying to say Yoruba are Edo slaves or something like that.

12 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 1:22pm On Apr 27, 2015
macof:

ewe people are not yoruba. They were driven to their present location by Yorubas (Ketu/Anago) and conquered by Yorubas (Oyo). I think the confusion comes from calling their original homeland Amedz-ofe wit people thinking it has something to do with Ile - Ife. ..

macof - I challenge you to prove this point further with facts. Why should you try to claim you know more than the people themselves?
Look I know some Yoruba writers would have gone ahead to write story to either give a different origin to these people or deny them entirely.

Look, they WERE Yoruba - don't deny them - their ancestry is pure, 100% present day Yoruba.

First you must clarify these confusing points you raised:

1. You wrote: "They were driven to their present location by Yorubas (Ketu/Anago)"

>> Where were they living before been driven by those Ketu/Anago?

>> Where did they originated from before Ketu people drove them away?

>> What are the main issues between them and Ketu that lead being driven away?

2. You wrote: "and conquered by Yorubas (Oyo)"
This is so confusing?

>> Were they conquered by the Oyo in their present Land, which was ruled by the Benin Kings of old?

>> Were they conquered by the Oyo first, (before) the Ketu people drove them away?

>> What is the connection between the Ketu tribe and Oyo and this tribe in the olden days?

2 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 1:31pm On Apr 27, 2015
9jacrip:

You sound bitterly sore.

I would have spared the time to kick some knowledge your way but apparently, you're a waste of space (and time).

If you're not a disciplined historian (the la cram, la pour - inability to conduct a research type) or not a hostorian at all then desist from flinging the term around or welding it into your frivolous and incoherent nonsense.

Now, run (and quickly) to post history of these handles for knowledge (scholarly backed) on Yoruba and Benin History(ies).

Katsumoto, TerraCota, PhysicsQ, NegroNtns, Macof.

Goodnight.

9jacrip - unfortunately you said nothing to prove me wrong or bring better knowledge. And those your kinsmen you invited, will also come here to abuse and insult me.

NOTE: Can you guys see how I brought out your viper from its closet? When this story was published, non of you contributed. Now - upon my contribution - you Yorubas are running riots to outdo each other on who INSULTS and ABUSE most.

4 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Nobody: 1:43pm On Apr 27, 2015
NigerMan1:

9jacrip - unfortunately you said nothing to prove me wrong or bring better knowledge. And those your kinsmen you invited, will also come here to abuse and insult me.

NOTE: Can you guys see how I brought out your viper from its closet? When this story was published, non of you contributed. Now - upon my contribution - you Yorubas are running riots to outdo each other on who INSULTS and ABUSE most.

Sir, you're the one who does not see through your post; it is completely empty and deserves no correction whatsoever.

Myself and those I mentioned (there are many more) find joy in debating factual history of Yoruba with PhysicsQED sharing facts on Benin/Edo history but I do not think anyone of them would want to waste their time on bigotry ridden post from a biggoted mind.

There are so many threads on Yoruba history spanning high number of pages. Search them and read from page to page.

Cheers.

7 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by illiad1(m): 3:37pm On Apr 27, 2015
NigerMan1:

illiad1 - do not worry at all.

I never feel offended when Yorubas turned a discourse of this nature into brickbats, INSULTS and name calling. Do you know the reason: A large part of so-called Yoruba history were weaved together starting from the mid 19th century and established in the 1950s - 1960s.

However they forgot that the Benin History were recorded from 900 AD - by the Portuguese and British sailors, missionaries, visitors, merchants, archeologists and so.

These are in addition to the remnant of Old Bini empire such as Benin Great wall (known as Benin Moat), old sculptures, many smaller kingdoms such as this tribe, the Onitsha people, the Republic of Benin (used to be called Dahomey and changed in 1975 after obtaining permission from Benin King) etc.

Is so bad that when you confront them with solid facts, figures and statistics - Yorubas will go berserk - hurling insults and gutter languages. The problem is: They'd been fed with LIES from the cradle, and they find it very difficult and discomforting to shake off those lies.

illiad1, can't you see how 100s of them opened this thread and never commented?

I have also read some of those books which I mistakenly lost. There was a day we held an argument about first settlers in lagos. I was telling them that I had actually read somewhere in a book by some whitemen telling that lagos was actually first occupied and ruled by benin kingdom. I even went further to ask them what Eko means in yoruba language and none of them could answer because its a benin language. And I told them that there are many lagos names that are not yoruba and have no meaning in yoruba language. Its just so unfortunate they easily result to insults whenever they lack facts to support their lies.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by macof(m): 10:53pm On Apr 27, 2015
illiad1:

I have also read some of those books which I mistakenly lost. There was a day we held an argument about first settlers in lagos. I was telling them that I had actually read somewhere in a book by some whitemen telling that lagos was actually first occupied and ruled by benin kingdom. I even went further to ask them what Eko means in yoruba language and none of them could answer because its a benin language. And I told them that there are many lagos names that are not yoruba and have no meaning in yoruba language. Its just so unfortunate they easily result to insults whenever they lack facts to support their lies.

I would gladly pay anything to u if only you can tell what Bini person inhabited Eko before Aromire son of Ogunfunminire, founder of the Awori

pls begin to provide this "facts" we lack but you seem to possess

9 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by illiad1(m): 1:10pm On Apr 28, 2015
macof:

I would gladly pay anything to u if only you can tell what Bini person inhabited Eko before Aromire son of Ogunfunminire, founder of the Awori

pls begin to provide this "facts" we lack but you seem to possess

I will continue to look for the book. I know I would find it and when I do I would raise the topic here in nl.

Pls don't think am one of those saying lagos is no mans land. I don't support that but I do have the record that shows the yorubas were not the first settlers in lagos but that they overwhelmed the first settlers by number.

Having said that. I know and believe that everyone in lagos is at one time or the other a settler. Anyone in lagos came from somewhere and settled in lagos including the rulers of lagos and if anyone thinks otherwise, then that's because such fellow have totally lost touch with the history of their lineage.

I think that's what some people try to say when they say lagos is no mans land.

1 Like

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by letu(m): 6:21pm On Apr 28, 2015
NigerMan1:

UnknownT - It is not too difficult to know.

Those people were 100% Yoruba people. In those days, the Benin Kings ruled over a vast part of Southern Nigeria, down to Lagos, PLUS part of present day Cameroon and Benin Republic. However the Benin Kings NEVER suppressed the people culturally, even the slaves of Igbo, Igala, Yoruba, Dahomies etc origins were allowed to be.

Therefore when freedom was enacted, and Benin power receded, the smaller groups gradually mixed with others and developed a new culture/languages from their origin and neighbors. Also the British colonialists used IGBO Language which also affected those people to gradually shelve their links to Old Benin Kingdom.

You talked about Opobo: Their language is NOT 100% Igbo as you speak in SE today. Even these Olukun mi people still speak Yoruba language as well.
you mean from Igbo to Efik Ibibio then to Cameroon where all slave but it can be the other way as Igbos ruling the Binis.

3 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 2:18pm On Apr 29, 2015
macof:

I wanted to ignore you but I noticed people are liking and sharing this piece of scrap

You confuse Bight of Benin for Benin republic. The bight is merely a coast area Benin traders and warrior protectors camped Mr man. No people to conquer there
then Cameron? Such a suprise, when did Bini overpower Efik and their kin to march into modern Cameroon?

Yoruba Bini salves? ? Which family compounds in Bini city have a history of being yoruba slaves? For example, there are many compounds in my town..even on my street we know as slave compounds and they all trace their origins. .mostly Egbira
surely if yoruba slaves ever existed in Benin city their descendants should still remain
Dahomey don't claim yoruba slaves it's Benin that wants to claim yoruba slaves cheesy grin
Fon Dahomey and Nupe people are the only ones known to capture Yoruba people not Bini nt even in the slightest manner have a yoruba been known to serve a Benin household or man handled and sold by one

The Olukumi by their version of history got to their present land when Benin were still in the Ogiso Era. ..meaning before Benin became an empire. So pls look for another lie

When the name "yoruba" came to use is of no relevance here. Try getting ur Edo people together and quit your yoruba hatred

macof - You often try to do better than your kinsmen who only bring abuse and insult to intellectual discourse.

Now I believe we are discussing HISTORY? I realize is only here in Nigeria that history based discourse is often replete with arrogance and chest beating. Often mired in lies and wanton coloration of truth. And this happens when Yoruba history is put on the front burner? Why? Because you guys have been injected with the mantra "don't challenge the source of our history"

Look History is not the same DOGMA. Here are the qualities and features of true history: (a) Must be often refreshed, (b) Always exhume the past, (c) Always challenged, (d)[/b]Must be RE-WRITTEN, [b](e) Continuous researching, (f) Must be REVISED.

However when any of these feature is missing or hated, then it is NOT history - but DOGMA.

So you Yorubas need to shake off your attitude of 'fighting off' academic and scholarly inputs that seem to put lie or expose holes in Yoruba story. Or run contrary to what was written few decades ago, or you're told.

Now let me reply your points one after the other...

You wrote: "What part of Cameroon and Benin republic was under Bini? What towns?
You confuse Bight of Benin for Benin republic. The bight is merely a coast area Benin traders and warrior protectors camped Mr man. No people to conquer there then Cameron? Such a suprise, when did Bini overpower Efik and their kin to march into modern Cameroon?

In the olden days, ruler-ship was not only by physical conquest or war as you Yorubas erroneously believe. Rulership encompasses war and conquest, control of trade route, slave trade selling, border dominance, interfacing with Europeans on behalf of others etc

There was a time during the Benin power, especially during the reign of Oba Esigie in the 14th Century. His power dominate and permeates most parts of present day Southern Nigeria - which extended to Lagos and Southern Cameroon. While that of Lagos was physical dominance, in which traditional king - Oba of Lagos - was established by Benin Oba and named the city EKO. Both still exist till day as a testement to the wide area old Benin Kingdom covered. The southern Cameroon was not physical.

You wrote: "You confuse Bight of Benin for Benin republic. The bight is merely a coast area Benin traders and warrior protectors camped Mr man. No people to conquer there then Cameron? Such a suprise, when did Bini overpower Efik and their kin to march into modern Cameroon?

No bro. I know my onions very well. I don't dabble in "I am superior than you kind of history" you Yorubas love to do. And why are you trying to downplay the IMPORTANCE of the "Bight of Benin" in history? Am sure if the Portuguese named the oceans that extend from Nigeria to the Gulf of Guinea the "Bight of Oyo" you Yorubas would have written volumes upon volumes to eulogize the 'greatness' of your forefathers.

First when the Portuguese first landed, the only DOMINANCE authority with the wildest control was the Oba of the Benin Empire. They then agreed an alliance with Benin Kingdom. That was the reason they named the Ocean "Bight of Benin".

The Portuguese then started business with Benin empire and Benin even sent an Ambassador to Portuguese. It was TWO NATIONS dealing with each other. During this period scholarships were given to Benin princes, who went to Universities in Europe with their slaves, which comprises Yoruba, Igbos, Igalas, Efiks, Ijaws etc. During this period, the trade and influence expansion into present day Benin republic began - with the collaboration of the Portuguese.

You wrote: "Yoruba Bini salves? ? Which family compounds in Bini city have a history of being yoruba slaves? For example, there are many compounds in my town..even on my street we know as slave compounds and they all trace their origins.

Bro again you're talking about History in a small prism you've been taught in Yorubaland. Things happened differently. And why should you be aghast over the word "Yoruba slaves?" Remember a greater of what is known as Yorubaland today where not there some hundreds of years ago? It was same in the 950 AD to 15th Century.

The old Benin did not DOMICILED their slaves ports in Benin City as you expected. So asking for slave compound is irrelevant my friend.The old Benin Kings ruled many towns and cities via designated warriors. The slaves therefore were not taken to Benin to dwell, rather they're ruled in their cities or new new cities, from the Oba Palace. And this system was applied over Lagos as well, in which a Benin Prince was made the Oba of Lagos and few Benin chiefs such as Obanikoro were appointed alongside some aboriginals as CHIEFS.

You wrote: "... surely if yoruba slaves ever existed in Benin city their descendants should still remain"

I hope I answer you above? Many were sold to Portuguese, many were sent abroad to earn degrees and returned. Bro we are talking of many many Centuries ago, so that the few that were serving the Benin Princes must have long became Benin/Edo.

You wrote: "Dahomey don't claim yoruba slaves it's Benin that wants to claim yoruba slaves cheesy grin"

History is not 'claiming' things. History is not a bragging rights. History is not about "out fathers were stronger than your fathers". Like I said above, the problem is that you Yorubas created your own history upon this foundation. You refused to allow history be told, freely discussed, continuously examined and always contested so that more FACTS will emerge consistently.

No macof - we Edos don't speak history to lay claim to being "superior". Even the Igbos has never contested the facts that Benin Kings used to have Igbos as slaves. Even the Onitsha people openly admitted they were Benin migrants. The late ZIK of Africa; Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe wrote about this in one of his books.

Unfortunately, you Yorubas allowed politicians to wound you together and named you all "Yoruba" for their selfish and greedy aggrandizement and control. Why do you refused to ask, individually:

"Where Did My Father Came From?"

If you do this, macof, many of you in Yorubaland will realize you probably originated from Igala, Dahomey, Nupe, Togo, Cameroon, part of today North Central. Even in the olden days, Hausa and Fulanis traders married and impregnated many Yoruba women in the present day Osun and Oyo states...

Today, the descendant of those children are now claiming Yoruba. Yes this is right - but is BETTER to investigate and examine your forefathers. Do this, at least, into the 7th to 10th generations before you.

Also remember that when Benin was ruling and established the Monarchy of Lagos, slaves were captured along the coast which comprises Yoruba, Igbos, Igalas, down to Lagos. So why are you fighting this historical fact? Again, there was an Igbo scholar who alluded to the fact that Old Benin Kings had Yoruba and Igbo slaves. Read it here on paragraph 8-9: http://www.newsexpressngr.com/news/detail.php?news=2547

You wrote: "Fon Dahomey and Nupe people are the only ones known to capture Yoruba people not Bini nt even in the slightest manner have a yoruba been known to serve a Benin household or man handled and sold by one

macof - please relax. This is history. You don't know all about history in one day. Everyday you realize what WAS. So you imagine Kings that ruled a vast area down to Lagos, with influence that extends to Benin republic did not captured Yoruba as slaves?

You wrote: "The Olukumi by their version of history got to their present land when Benin were still in the Ogiso Era. ..meaning before Benin became an empire. So pls look for another lie

No macof - remember am not Yoruba. You guys regard history as fisticuffs and "who can tell more lies". I know the history of Olukumi people very well, and their being there was DOCUMENTED. It was not during the Ogiso period. And let me tell you this: Ogiso dynasty was the same as the Oba dynasty: The only difference was that the Oba dynasty was more powerful and extended far and near.

So when you know the full history of the Olumuni you'll realize this fact. They're part of the Benin slaves!

You wrote: "When the name "yoruba" came to use is of no relevance here"

Why do you said so? So the history of how people from different tribes and nationality were later grouped as "Yoruba" should not be told?

You wrote: "Try getting ur Edo people together and quit your yoruba hatred"

And what EXACTLY do you mean by this statement? God forbid I hate people. Let me tell you a vital truth about human existence: "MUTUAL RESPECTS" is what guaranteed love and progress, even siblings. Not being coerced into a single culture as you have it in Yorubaland.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' / Oba Elegushi’s 2nd Wife, Hadiza Steps Into The Palace 6 Months After Wedding / Masquerade, Ajeron, Cleanses Ajegunle Of Coronavirus (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.