Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,863 members, 7,802,770 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:12 PM

Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State (69125 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Unveils Logo Of The Yoruba Cultural Carnival Worldwide / What Ethnicity Do Aniocha And Oshimili People Of Delta North Fall Into? / Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 2:26pm On Apr 29, 2015
macof:

I have heard the language severally I once lived in a house where Olukumi was the official language grin
but they don't see themselves as yoruba at all, they just say "I am delta"
Don't try to Yorubanise their names more than it already is either, they take offense

macof - stro trying to DENY their root. Their ancestry is not Igbo. Not Benin. Their ancestry is 100% Yoruba.
Yes, the modern day Olukumi will deny being Yoruba because their forefathers have been their for centuries. Different changes have occurred over 100s years, so it is natural for them to be Igbo. You read what the Old man said and you still denying they're not Yoruba?

Am sure, if they conquered that place and the people, you won't say this.

In present day Yorubaland, many of you calling yourself "Yoruba" today were not originally part of Oyo, nor migrated from them. For many of you, your forefathers migrated from Nupe. Igala, part of North Central, Dahomey, Togo etc over many, many Centuries ago. Some of the reasons for such migration were trading, marriages, war, famine, social attractions etc

1 Like

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 3:11pm On Apr 29, 2015
Oyecute:
I guess you were born in the olden days ... One question for U, how come the yorubas are more widely spread than the binis and occupied more geographical landmass? ... What is the correlation between bini language and yoruba? ...mind u, I served in benin city and visited oda places like Uromi, Afuze, okada, auchi, agenebode etc.

Oyecute - your question exposes you as lacking knowledge of history. Plus lacking knowledge how people and tribe of today were formed in the olden days. Do you know the meaning of Migration in History? Please go and do more research.

Also you gave yourself away as one of the young people in Yorubaland today, who'd been hoodwinked into believing that Yorubas were the same in the Olden day (say 1000 years ago) as you are today.

The reason is that you're were culturally brought up NOT to challenge historical stories rather regard them as SACROSANCT!

A Brief History of the Word YORUBA

It was Fulanis who described and calling the Oyo people "Y A R I B A" in the 16th Century, which was officially used by the Hausa-Fulani to identify Oyo people ONLY. In fact, the word 'Y A R I B A" was applied to the OYO PEOPLE only when a TREATY was written by a Songhai scholar, known as Ahmed Baba in the 16th Century

Then in the mid 19th Century, Samuel Ajayi Crowther began a propaganda by applying the word "YORUBA" which only the OYO were known by, to describe all the people and tribes who spoke languages related to Oyo as YORUBA. It's like calling all the people of the core north HAUSA!

The truth: In present day Yorubaland, many of you calling yourself "Yoruba" today were not originally part of Oyo, nor migrated from them. For many of you, your forefathers migrated from Nupe. Igala, part of North Central, Dahomey, Togo etc over many, many Centuries ago. Some of the reasons for such migration were trading, marriages, war, famine, social attractions etc

Unfortunately, however over the last few decades, the word 'Yoruba' has been seized by Politicians and Rulers to exert cultural DOMINANCE, Economic control and Political Leadership over you all. This was the reason they discouraged you people from EXAMINING your past.

Oyecute don't be afraid to ask these questions:

"Who Are My Fathers?"

"Where Did My Fathers and Mothers Migrated From?"

If you are not Oyo (maybe Ekiti, Ijebu etc) and you willingly called yourself Yoruba and believed Oduduwa is your ancestor, then it can be described as UNFORTUNATE!

9 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 3:14pm On Apr 29, 2015
Funjosh:

Somebody should tame this man please. lipsrsealed

Funjosh - I believe you did some schooling? When you heard what sound strange to you, what were taught to do?

To abuse?

To Insult?

To solemnly agree or disagree?

To found out more?

4 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 3:16pm On Apr 29, 2015
Funjosh:

TRASH lipsrsealed

Okay. Do you also agree or describe most of the Yoruba mythologies and falklores as TRASH?

2 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 3:22pm On Apr 29, 2015
OROSUNBOLB:

You shouldn't have dignified that f.ool with a response. You should have known that what majority of them lack is education but ironically,they are the ones trying to sell what they do not have. I truly appreciate your contribution. Let's continue to educate them as our fore fathers did. Do have a pleasant day at work.

OROSUNBOLB - It seems you young Yorubas love to promote your lineage in bad light? Why the recourse to insults and application of uncouth languages? Has this dirty behavior now a PERMANENT feature of Yoruba culture. Look OROSUNBOLB this is purely a discourse about HISTORY - not mere claims as you guys are used to.

OROSUNBOLB it seems you're the same fellow who claimed ITSEKIRIS are Yorubas? And I duly responded but you never reply back, but went searching for and supporting your kinsman who spewed uncouth and rude language.

Please Yorubas - stop feeling bad when true history is discussed and revealed.

6 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 3:27pm On Apr 29, 2015
letu:
you mean from Igbo to Efik Ibibio then to Cameroon where all slave but it can be the other way as Igbos ruling the Binis.

The problem is that most of you are NEVER history inclined, rather you only depended on what 'you were told' from the cradle. You are used to echoing the fables and ego-based stories being bandied about in your tribe and communities.

Please read look up and read my response to macof and others

3 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by omonnakoda: 9:30pm On Apr 29, 2015
NigerMan1:

Ilekeh - there is nothing like Yorubas are everywhere!

The major problem is that most of you calling yourself Yoruba today do not understand or lack knowledge about the ORIGIN of the term/word "Yoruba" and when?why it was used to group different ethnic people in the mid 19th Century.

Here is the true origin of those people:

At the time the Great Benin Kingdom was ruling a vast part of Southern Nigeria, down to Lagos, and part of present day Middle Belt, including present day part of Cameroon and Benin Republic, slave raiding were always carried out by the Benin Warriors.

Those Yorubas were a combination of the Benin slaves and others who later fled from the incessant slave raiding and hide in the Bush. With time, they settled in their present abode.

NOTE: When you see Yoruba speaking people anywhere, as indigene, the right question you should ask is: How did they got there? Most of you guys engage in chest-beating because you do not have wider knowledge of the olden days. In the olden days, there was NO Yoruba as you have it today.

O wise one and from where did you get all this knowledge pray tell

1 Like

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Funjosh(m): 11:54pm On Apr 29, 2015
NigerMan1:

Oyecute - your question exposes you as lacking knowledge of history. Plus lacking knowledge how people and tribe of today were formed in the olden days. Do you know the meaning of Migration in History? Please go and do more research.

Also you gave yourself away as one of the young people in Yorubaland today, who'd been hoodwinked into believing that Yorubas were the same in the Olden day (say 1000 years ago) as you are today.

The reason is that you're were culturally brought up NOT to challenge historical stories rather regard them as SACROSANCT!

It was Fulanis who described and calling the Oyo people "Y A R I B A" in the 16th Century, which was officially used by the Hausa-Fulani to identify Oyo people ONLY. In fact, the word 'Y A R I B A" was applied to the OYO PEOPLE only when a TREATY was written by a Songhai scholar, known as Ahmed Baba in the 16th Century

Then in the mid 19th Century, Samuel Ajayi Crowther began a propaganda by applying the word "YORUBA" which only the OYO were known by, to describe all the people and tribes who spoke languages related to Oyo as YORUBA. It's like calling all the people of the core north HAUSA!

The truth: In present day Yorubaland, many of you calling yourself "Yoruba" today were not originally part of Oyo, nor migrated from them. For many of you, your forefathers migrated from Nupe. Igala, part of North Central, Dahomey, Togo etc over many, many Centuries ago. Some of the reasons for such migration were trading, marriages, war, famine, social attractions etc

Unfortunately, however over the last few decades, the word 'Yoruba' has been seized by Politicians and Rulers to exert cultural DOMINANCE, Economic control and Political Leadership over you all. This was the reason they discouraged you people from EXAMINING your past.

"Who Are My Fathers?"

If you are not Oyo (maybe Ekiti, Ijebu etc) and you willingly called yourself Yoruba and believed Oduduwa is your ancestor, then it can be described as UNFORTUNATE!

Hahahahaha. And what you just put up make sense to you

2 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by macof(m): 12:01am On Apr 30, 2015
illiad1:

I will continue to look for the book. I know I would find it and when I do I would raise the topic here in nl.

Pls don't think am one of those saying lagos is no mans land. I don't support that but I do have the record that shows the yorubas were not the first settlers in lagos but that they overwhelmed the first settlers by number.

Having said that. I know and believe that everyone in lagos is at one time or the other a settler. Anyone in lagos came from somewhere and settled in lagos including the rulers of lagos and if anyone thinks otherwise, then that's because such fellow have totally lost touch with the history of their lineage.

I think that's what some people try to say when they say lagos is no mans land.
and these first settlers are from where?

1 Like

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by macof(m): 12:18am On Apr 30, 2015
Someone should do something about all the nonsense this man is posting here
I thought a Mod was following this thread undecided

3 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by illiad1(m): 12:18am On Apr 30, 2015
macof:
That, my friend, is the onus of the matter.
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by illiad1(m): 12:37am On Apr 30, 2015
NigerMan1:

"Who Are My Fathers?"

I also read in my book which I have promised to continue searching for, that a lot of people in present day Ogun state were actually from sierra lone, even in lagos here a lot of those who now claim yoruba& lagos islander and all were actually from sierra lone like Adeniyi Jones, Tiamiyu Savage, campus in fact it maintained that half of the lagos island was occupied by sierra lonians who now go as yorubas
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by isalegan2: 12:37am On Apr 30, 2015
macof:

It's a bunch of bullsh!tt! I can't even read any of his posts here all the way through. Never even saw his moniker before.

You don't need a mod to deal with his fuckups. Just treat him like the bum he is.

2 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by macof(m): 12:57am On Apr 30, 2015
illiad1:

That, my friend, is the onus of the matter.
yet u have nothing to offer me my friend
you keep talking about you read this, you read that
you haven't mentioned the author, the people that settled and where they came from

I asked very simple question:who are these people that settled at Eko before Aromire
if you can't even remember this from this "book" you like to talk about then I question your purpose on bringing such matter up

3 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 9:21am On Apr 30, 2015
macof:

macof - so you now want the MOD to ban or delete this thread? Don't you think this is hypocritical on your part?

You and your kinsmen are feeling REPULSIVE about the historical facts am relying here, which your elders deliberately hide from you and you failed to searched out?

Some of you claimed EDOS are Yorubas; nobody asked for the MOD...
Some of you called and described EDO history as TRASH; no one called for the MOD...
Even now you tried to vanquished the origin of the Olukimi people as NOT Yoruba; no one called for the MOD...
You also tried to dilute the vastness of the Old Benin Empire, I did not called for the MOD...
Severally on this Nairaland you Yorubas created threads deriding and openly casting down the great Benin history; nobody called for the MOD.

Now I tried to regale you guys with statistically-backed history, which you can trace, come back to either prove me wrong, or right. You chose to asked for the MOD.

What an Hypocrisy!

And if the MOD should delete this thread, I expect the MOD to carry out a thorough research, and if am found to be guilty of CONCOCTING history, then I will turn myself in for prosecution. Until that is done, the onus is on you to prove me wrong on those facts I related, especially as it concern the origin of the word Yoruba and when/how it was applied to grouped you people together in the mid-19th Century.

One facts you guys lack is that these HISTORY are in ARCHIVES begging for people to research them out.

It's your choice if you Yorubas refused to do research, to understand your past. and beginning.

9 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 9:31am On Apr 30, 2015
isalegan2:

It's a bunch of bullsh!tt! I can't even read any of his posts here all the way through. Never even saw his moniker before.

You don't need a mod to deal with his fuckups. Just treat him like the bum he is.

isalegan2 - you guys are living are living up to the training you'd been passed through at cradle: HYPOCRISY.

The embedded training you Yorubas are exposed are:

Uncouth language;
Lousiness;
Uncultured attitude;
Applying Abusive Words;
Insulting Others with Impunity;
Generally Rude;
Hate Truths that Hurts.

Am not surprised that after you guys went all the way to weave 'history' against others, and now asking for my head because I simply related FACTS of HISTORY about Yoruba - you are busy abusing me and asking for the MOD to intervene.

You claimed I wrote a 'bunch of bullshit?' Well because is not the usual Yoruba Super Story you love to hear? Because it revealed a sore truth about your origin?

8 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 9:34am On Apr 30, 2015
illiad1:

I also read in my book which I have promised to continue searching for, that a lot of people in present day Ogun state were actually from sierra lone, even in lagos here a lot of those who now claim yoruba& lagos islander and all were actually from sierra lone like Adeniyi Jones, Tiamiyu Savage, campus in fact it maintained that half of the lagos island was occupied by sierra lonians who now go as yorubas

Haa illiad1 - they will kill for this. They hate to hear story like this man.

You know the sons and daughters of Yoruba migrants to Lagos; from Osun, Ogun, Oyo States who'd abandoned their own peculiar history to fight over Lagos economy which they did not partake in building, will ask for your head!

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by bigfrancis21: 9:36am On Apr 30, 2015
illiad1:

Those were ex-slave returnees of Yoruba ancestry who knew where they were taken from and they returned home. This was also easily achievable due to the fact that Yorubas were taken the most into slavery during the latter half of the slave trade and towards the end of it, and they arrived to meet earlier slaves and their descendants who had been stripped of their african identities. Arriving at the end of slave trade, when strict slave policies were piping down and arriving in mostly portuguese-speaking areas (the portuguese allowed their slaves to freely practise their beliefs unlike the English that strictly banned and prevented any form of african beliefs and worship whatsoever), many of these Yoruba slaves still had their identity and religion fresh within their memories which they established in the new world. While not forgetting where they came from, some did indeed return back to Africa - Sierra Leone and Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by tpiadotcom: 1:38pm On Apr 30, 2015
illiad1:

they were yorubas who had probably been shipped to sierra leone via lagos.

1 Like

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by NigerMan1: 9:35pm On Apr 30, 2015
macof:

macof - you and your kinsmen who felt REPULSED about my entries here should immediately visit this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/2283894/how-troops-stopped-biafran-soldiers

Can you see how your fellow YORUBAS are busy insulting the Igbos and deriding their revered leader - OJUKWU? And so unfortunate almost all their claims are either completely LIES, or mere 'historical concoction' to abuse the Igbos.

Now would you go there to stop them?

9 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by 1shortblackboy: 8:36am On May 01, 2015
UnknownT:
I still wonder how the Igbos do it, as in they come near you and you lose your original language and start speaking Igbo. Some may say the Olukun mi people were nearer to the Igbos that was why, but what of the Igbo that is being spoken in far away bonny/opobo and some of the people that always claim Benin origin but now use 99% Igbo names and language. And when they achieve this, we don't hear people saying that they were forced to speak/learn Igbo like they are colonial masters
igbos were always ready to take their trading into any territory and with it came their language. so if u could speak Igbo u could communicate with all groups of people who also trade with the igbos
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by macof(m): 8:47pm On May 03, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Those were ex-slave returnees of Yoruba ancestry who knew where they were taken from and they returned home. This was also easily achievable due to the fact that Yorubas were taken the most into slavery during the latter half of the slave trade and towards the end of it, and they arrived to meet earlier slaves and their descendants who had been stripped of their african identities. Arriving at the end of slave trade, when strict slave policies were piping down and arriving in mostly portuguese-speaking areas (the portuguese allowed their slaves to freely practise their beliefs unlike the English that strictly banned and prevented any form of african beliefs and worship whatsoever), many of these Yoruba slaves still had their identity and religion fresh within their memories which they established in the new world. While not forgetting where they came from, some did indeed return back to Africa - Sierra Leone and Nigeria.
These Sierra Leone Yorubas (Akus) most likely didn't leave Africa.
The Portuguese actually went hard on yoruba slaves and tried to force catholism, it was the commitment and intelligence of the Yoruba that saw them through..they had to hide the Orisa veneration under the Catholic faith forced on them. .so began Santeria and Umbanda etc

4 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by bigfrancis21: 2:31am On May 04, 2015
macof:

These Sierra Leone Yorubas (Akus) most likely didn't leave Africa.
The Portuguese actually went hard on yoruba slaves and tried to force catholism, it was the commitment and intelligence of the Yoruba that saw them through..they had to hide the Orisa veneration under the Catholic faith forced on them. .so began Santeria and Umbanda etc
Some did return back to Nigeria, to Lagos specifically and settled in places like 'Yaba'. Desmond Elliot's family is an example of a Sierra Leonan yoruba returnee.

Desmond Elliot claims Sierra Leonean lineage

One of Nigeria’s outstanding romantic movie celebrities, Desmond Elliot, has claimed parental lineage to Sierra Leone, tracing it as far back as to the time his great-grandparents migrated to Nigeria, Lagos State to be specific, and settled in a community called Orologbo.
He said he has traced his background by virtue of where his parents, especially his great grandparents resided in Lagos considering the fact that when one comes from Lagos in a particular location, it would be much more easier to trace that person’s origin and lineage; to determine whether he or she has a Brazilian background, Ghanaian background, a Sierra Leonean background etc.

Desmond maintained that in Orologbo, people who carry names such as Elliot, Kings and Macauleys etc. are referred to as the “Sarro People”- a category to which he belongs. This category of people, he said, is considered biologically connected to Sierra Leone back in Nigeria.
Having spent couple of months in Sierra Leone doing a movie entitled “Reflections” he said he chose Sierra Leone to do the movie for three reasons; one being from the fact that he has always been a lover of the word “one Africa”. He said about three months ago, he shot a film in Liberia where he included Sierra Leoneans, Nigerians, Ghanaians and other nationals, and that he is in Sierra Leone to do a movie that completely depicts the socio-cultural concept of Sierra Leone and Sierra Leoneans.
In his ‘Reflection’ film moreover, he said he also endeavoured to include other nationals including Liberians, Ghanaians, Malawians etc, all in one production to enable him send the message the movie is all about.
Another reason for him choosing Sierra Leone was because the country is closest to his heart for the simple fact that he feels very at home here taking from his blood lineage. He said his great-grandparents who happened to be Creoles moved to Lagos two or three centuries ago and eventually became Nigerians. Therefore he said, every time he visits Sierra Leone, he sees the need to show to the world the beauty of this country from socio-cultural point of view.
Moreover, he revealed, pictorially, taking an aerial view of the country, and from a critical point of view of a film maker, he maintained that Sierra Leone should actually be like “Hollywood” for West Africa, because of its “awesome topography”.
He said a film maker would shoot around mountains, hills, houses on hills, not to talk of the beaches and the areas surrounded by water. “It is quite a beautiful site to behold as a film maker”, he said.
While explaining more about his film ‘Reflection’, Desmond said that the idea of the film came about when he was on a course in Georgia, United States of America, and a Jamaican-American called and told him about the project and the actors she wanted to be in the movie.
He said the lady, though not an African has enormous passion for Africa and Africans, and loves watching African films, for which she had designed the project on the movie ‘Reflection’.
However, Desmond said when he then read through the project, he said “I saw it having more meaning in a country like Sierra Leone”.
He went on to say that the film deals with a typical Sierra Leonean family, where the lady loses her husband just after getting married. Without going into the nitty-gritty of the film, he said that the film shows the efficiency of the police, and it further shows in a little way the Creole tradition. “And that is why a quarter of the film was shot in Bathurst village in a bid to explore Krio as a language. It is a 95% Creole film and so everything is spoken in Krio”, Desmond maintained.
He said he used about 80% Sierra Leonean actors and actresses because, he said, “he sees many talents in Sierra Leoneans, especially when the film is about exposing Sierra Leonean culture and tradition”
Desmond said he has been coming to Sierra Leone for several years. And this year alone, he has come for about four times looking for locations, funding from corporate bodies which he has secured from Bank PHB, Arik Airlines and many more back in Nigeria. He said he has been shooting the movie for the past weeks and he has couple of weeks more to go, and it will be out probably later this year.
By Poindexter Sama

Desmond Elliot claims Sierra Leonean lineage

One of Nigeria’s outstanding romantic movie celebrities, Desmond Elliot, has claimed parental lineage to Sierra Leone, tracing it as far back as to the time his great-grandparents migrated to Nigeria, Lagos State to be specific, and settled in a community called Orologbo.
He said he has traced his background by virtue of where his parents, especially his great grandparents resided in Lagos considering the fact that when one comes from Lagos in a particular location, it would be much more easier to trace that person’s origin and lineage; to determine whether he or she has a Brazilian background, Ghanaian background, a Sierra Leonean background etc.
Desmond maintained that in Orologbo, people who carry names such as Elliot, Kings and Macauleys etc. are referred to as the “Sarro People”- a category to which he belongs. This category of people, he said, is considered biologically connected to Sierra Leone back in Nigeria.
Having spent couple of months in Sierra Leone doing a movie entitled “Reflections” he said he chose Sierra Leone to do the movie for three reasons; one being from the fact that he has always been a lover of the word “one Africa”. He said about three months ago, he shot a film in Liberia where he included Sierra Leoneans, Nigerians, Ghanaians and other nationals, and that he is in Sierra Leone to do a movie that completely depicts the socio-cultural concept of Sierra Leone and Sierra Leoneans.
In his ‘Reflection’ film moreover, he said he also endeavoured to include other nationals including Liberians, Ghanaians, Malawians etc, all in one production to enable him send the message the movie is all about.
Another reason for him choosing Sierra Leone was because the country is closest to his heart for the simple fact that he feels very at home here taking from his blood lineage. He said his great-grandparents who happened to be Creoles moved to Lagos two or three centuries ago and eventually became Nigerians. Therefore he said, every time he visits Sierra Leone, he sees the need to show to the world the beauty of this country from socio-cultural point of view.
Moreover, he revealed, pictorially, taking an aerial view of the country, and from a critical point of view of a film maker, he maintained that Sierra Leone should actually be like “Hollywood” for West Africa, because of its “awesome topography”.
He said a film maker would shoot around mountains, hills, houses on hills, not to talk of the beaches and the areas surrounded by water. “It is quite a beautiful site to behold as a film maker”, he said.
While explaining more about his film ‘Reflection’, Desmond said that the idea of the film came about when he was on a course in Georgia, United States of America, and a Jamaican-American called and told him about the project and the actors she wanted to be in the movie.
He said the lady, though not an African has enormous passion for Africa and Africans, and loves watching African films, for which she had designed the project on the movie ‘Reflection’.
However, Desmond said when he then read through the project, he said “I saw it having more meaning in a country like Sierra Leone”.
He went on to say that the film deals with a typical Sierra Leonean family, where the lady loses her husband just after getting married. Without going into the nitty-gritty of the film, he said that the film shows the efficiency of the police, and it further shows in a little way the Creole tradition. “And that is why a quarter of the film was shot in Bathurst village in a bid to explore Krio as a language. It is a 95% Creole film and so everything is spoken in Krio”, Desmond maintained.
He said he used about 80% Sierra Leonean actors and actresses because, he said, “he sees many talents in Sierra Leoneans, especially when the film is about exposing Sierra Leonean culture and tradition”
Desmond said he has been coming to Sierra Leone for several years. And this year alone, he has come for about four times looking for locations, funding from corporate bodies which he has secured from Bank PHB, Arik Airlines and many more back in Nigeria. He said he has been shooting the movie for the past weeks and he has couple of weeks more to go, and it will be out probably later this year.
By Poindexter Sama

http://awoko.org/2012/08/17/desmond-elliot-claims-sierra-leonean-lineage/
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by absoluteSuccess: 6:10pm On May 04, 2015
NigerMan1:

macof - you and your kinsmen who felt REPULSED about my entries here should immediately visit this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/2283894/how-troops-stopped-biafran-soldiers

Can you see how your fellow YORUBAS are busy insulting the Igbos and deriding their revered leader - OJUKWU? And so unfortunate almost all their claims are either completely LIES, or mere 'historical concoction' to abuse the Igbos.

Now would you go there to stop them?
Mr. IBODEFENDER, So good to know the spring of your 'sense of entitlement' to Yoruba history. You can continue to re-write Yoruba history for each and every single offensive post of Yoruba that you can find on nairaland. You want to punish a people via their history? You have lost your mind. I must endeavour to say that you decide your reactions out of emotion than out of logic, in accordance to the love of bigfrancis. Your co-beasts by default operates on intuition. You are truthful and obedient to your nature.

8 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Nobody: 7:47pm On May 04, 2015
Ilekeh:
Nothing new. Yorubas are everywhere.
Ask Ghanaians. There are two Yoruba sub groups in Ghana.
We're just quiet and peaceful wherever we are.
Nope, Yoruba's are not everywhere. They are @ home in SW

2 Likes

Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by illiad: 7:49pm On May 04, 2015
Lwkmd
Yorubbish.
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by obontami: 7:51pm On May 04, 2015
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Nobody: 7:58pm On May 04, 2015
they are no longer yorubas... they have transformed into something else...
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Nobody: 7:58pm On May 04, 2015
macof:
Bini people came to Lagos first.
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by Nobody: 7:59pm On May 04, 2015
eVEN THE OBA LOOKS LIKE A YORUBA MAN..... THIS IS QUITE INTERESTING...... ONE DAY, GOD WILLING I SHALL VISIT THIS INTRIGUING PEOPLE.
Re: Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State by nairaman66(m): 8:01pm On May 04, 2015
Just read the ethnic bigotry on this thread! You will understand why Nigeria was never meant to be one!

This pull down Sydrome should stop and let all embrace and show the power of love to each other!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' / Which Is The Easiest Nigerian Language To Learn? / Masquerade, Ajeron, Cleanses Ajegunle Of Coronavirus (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.