Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,864 members, 7,806,455 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:47 PM

Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome (15931 Views)

Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July / Mercedes Diesel Engine Vs Petroleum Engine / Why Not Use Diesel Engine (passenger Cars) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by nurey(m): 11:46am On Apr 28, 2015
noxide:
Still on my generator vibe wink

Please is there any special/recommended radiator coolant for diesel engines?

I can't find the manual for my unit and I've been using water sad

If you go to the manufacturer website or google manual for so so so diesel gen set, then you can download a soft copy (pdf or doc) and get reliable information from it.
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by oktawian(m): 3:26pm On Apr 28, 2015
Get rid of the water asap ! Put the proper coolant into the cooling system.
water makes only corrosion and it has low boiling point.

For water it's 99 degree celsius and for coolant it's supposed to be 125 degree celsius.

there is no such special coolant for diesel engines, all of them petrol and diesel are using the same type of coolant.
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by ivoryhouse(m): 8:01pm On Apr 28, 2015
nurey:

Thanks bro, nice looking ride
Thanks
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by praxisnetworks: 5:01am On Apr 29, 2015
make I park here...I have been eyeing a w210 E Klasse diesel...but my only restrain has been the fear of the unknown!

2 Likes

Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by nurey(m): 11:46am On Apr 29, 2015
praxisnetworks:
make I park here...I have been eyeing a w210 E Klasse diesel...but my only restrain has been the fear of the unknown!

Welcome bro. You can share your fear of the unknown here so gurus can clear the air on it.
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by ivoryhouse(m): 3:08pm On Apr 29, 2015
The thing with diesel engines is that if they have electronic injectors poor quality diesel will give rise to expensive issues so I advise you buy diesel engines with manual or mechanical injectors (in lay terms). If you can't avoid electronic injectors then you have to be careful where you get your diesel from. I know that NNPC stations sell good quality diesel.
If your engine has mechanical injectors anything short of cooking oil will move it (do not say ivoryhouse says its ok to run your auto on cooking oil) grin
Diesel engines hardly die in flood water even when the engine is completely emersed in water. And the low torque makes it virtually unstoppable. And its low maintainace if you use quality replacement or maintainace parts on it.
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by nurey(m): 4:07pm On Apr 29, 2015
ivoryhouse:
The thing with diesel engines is that if they have electronic injectors poor quality diesel will give rise to expensive issues so I advise you buy diesel engines with manual or mechanical injectors (in lay terms). If you can't avoid electronic injectors then you have to be careful where you get your diesel from. I know that NNPC stations sell good quality diesel.
If your engine has mechanical injectors anything short of cooking oil will move it (do not say ivoryhouse says its ok to run your auto on cooking oil) grin
Diesel engines hardly die in flood water even when the engine is completely emersed in water. And the low torque makes it virtually unstoppable. And its low maintainace if you use quality replacement or maintainace parts on it.

Ivoryhouse, seems you are a fountain of knowledge when it comes to diesel engines, that's good we here are ready to tap into it. As you have stated, am guessing the manual-mechanical-electrical is a phase just like carburetor-injector. I doubt if manual or mechanical diesel injectors wouldn't have been phased out a long time ago just like the carburetor or am I wrong.

1 Like

Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by ivoryhouse(m): 4:33pm On Apr 29, 2015
nurey:

Ivoryhouse, seems you are a fountain of knowledge when it comes to diesel engines, that's good we here are ready to tap into it. As you have stated, am guessing the manual-mechanical-electrical is a phase just like carburetor-injector. I doubt if manual or mechanical diesel injectors wouldn't have been phased out a long time ago just like the carburetor or am I wrong.
I doubt it as my land rover has a mechanical injectors. I hope the likes of Siena and others come and teach us..

1 Like

Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by 9icetoo(m): 5:28pm On Apr 30, 2015
The old diesel engines will hardly die in flood water because they can withstand hydrolocking better than petrol engines. The new diesels won't tolerate such abuse cos they weren't built as tough as the older units. Tdi technology is more or less a small variation in the manner diesel is injected into the combustion chamber. In the new Tdi engines, diesel is injected in a sort of stratified manner. You get the precharge and then the main charge. The electronic injectors are capable of injecting diesel at higher pressures into the combustion chamber and therefore get better economy over their mechanical counterparts. With a good quality diesel, these injectors can last a really long time without failing.

1 Like

Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by nurey(m): 7:57pm On Apr 30, 2015
9icetoo:
The old diesel engines will hardly die in flood water because they can withstand hydrolocking better than petrol engines. The new diesels won't tolerate such abuse cos they weren't built as tough as the older units. Tdi technology is more or less a small variation in the manner diesel is injected into the combustion chamber. In the new Tdi engines, diesel is injected in a sort of stratified manner. You get the precharge and then the main charge. The electronic injectors are capable of injecting diesel at higher pressures into the combustion chamber and therefore get better economy over their mechanical counterparts. With a good quality diesel, these injectors can last a really long time without failing.

Good and well detailed explanation. So does the TDI engine come with electronic injectors especially the one adopted by VW
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by 9icetoo(m): 9:46pm On Apr 30, 2015
nurey:

Good and well detailed explanation. So does the TDI engine come with electronic injectors especially the one adopted by VW
The new ones from 2004 I guess. The new TDI engines all come with electronic injectors.

1 Like

Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Nobody: 11:58pm On Apr 30, 2015
Contrary to popular belief, Diesel engines are no more prone to hydro-locking if driven through deep water, and the intake sucks water into the cylinders. Water does NOT compress, regardless of the engine type. Drive a Caterpillar or Bulldozer through water, draw it into the combustion chamber, and it WILL hydro lock. It's a scientific fact.

With a gasoline engine, the engine is more likely to stall in water, even if the water is not deep enough to be drawn through the intake. This is because we are dealing with a spark engine, getting the ignition components - coil, distributor, points etc wet will stall the engine. Unlike hydro locking, this is not a permanent state, once dry, the engine can be restarted.

Diesel engines are compression motors, so will not stall if water is splashed onto its components by the fan.

So we have 2 separate phenomenon here:

Diesel engine stalled due to water being drawn through the intake, and into the combustion chambers.

Gasoline engine stalled due to water being drawn through the intake, and into the combustion chambers.
Gasoline engine stalled due to water being splashed onto ignition components.
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Nobody: 12:03am On May 01, 2015
ivoryhouse:
And the low torque makes it virtually unstoppable.

Errr, you've got it wrong here. Diesel engines make HIGH torque. It's generated at lower rpm than in a gasoline engine.

I also run an Audi A4 Quattro 2.5 TDI V6 2xDOHC 24V.
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Years(m): 6:43am On May 01, 2015
Diligently following up. Diesel engine ... exciting. Good morning all
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by oktawian(m): 7:52am On May 01, 2015
-So how the diesel engine works :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2WGFELXPNg

And about the type of diesel engines :

- old diesel engine with normal injetors and injector pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbjDH7fr_J8

-TDI PD engine (for me the worse type of diesel engine !! cos of the poor quality of PD injectors)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftchx1TDNJo

- Diesel Common Rail CR TDI engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIkMtnd3LGQ

hope, that these videos will be helpful to better understand the type of diesel engines.

Best Regards Oktawian

2 Likes

Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by nurey(m): 8:00am On May 01, 2015
Siena:
Contrary to popular belief, Diesel engines are no more prone to hydro-locking if driven through deep water, and the intake sucks water into the cylinders. Water does NOT compress, regardless of the engine type. Drive a Caterpillar or Bulldozer through water, draw it into the combustion chamber, and it WILL hydro lock. It's a scientific fact.

With a gasoline engine, the engine is more likely to stall in water, even if the water is not deep enough to be drawn through the intake. This is because we are dealing with a spark engine, getting the ignition components - coil, distributor, points etc wet will stall the engine. Unlike hydro locking, this is not a permanent state, once dry, the engine can be restarted.

Diesel engines are compression motors, so will not stall if water is splashed onto its components by the fan.

So we have 2 separate phenomenon here:

Diesel engine stalled due to water being drawn through the intake, and into the combustion chambers.

Gasoline engine stalled due to water being drawn through the intake, and into the combustion chambers.
Gasoline engine stalled due to water being splashed onto ignition components.

Welcome oga siena, though you came late but better late than never. I am sure with you here, intending diesel engine buyer and those already using one will benefit immensely.

1 Like

Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by nurey(m): 8:01am On May 01, 2015
Years:
Diligently following up. Diesel engine ... exciting. Good morning all

Welcome to the club

1 Like

Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by nurey(m): 8:04am On May 01, 2015
oktawian:
-So how the diesel engine works :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2WGFELXPNg

And about the type of diesel engines :

- old diesel engine with normal injetors and injector pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbjDH7fr_J8

-TDI PD engine (for me the worse type of diesel engine !! cos of the poor quality of PD injectors)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftchx1TDNJo

- Diesel Common Rail CR TDI engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIkMtnd3LGQ

hope, that these videos will be helpful to better understand the type of diesel engines.

Best Regards Oktawian

Thanks for this information. I think the PD engine was made by VW in year 2001 to 2004. They tagged it pumpee diesel or so. They made available three types of TDI engines during 2001to 2006.
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by ivoryhouse(m): 5:39pm On May 01, 2015
Siena:

Errr, you've got it wrong here. Diesel engines make HIGH torque. It's generated at lower rpm than in a gasoline engine.

I also run an Audi A4 Quattro 2.5 TDI V6 2xDOHC 24V.
Thanks boss. How are you doing?
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Years(m): 8:39am On May 02, 2015
nurey:

Welcome to the club

One curious question I want to ask is that are there diesel engine powered saloon pupular products like the lexus, Toyota available ? Maybe it's just me because I have never come across one . Perhaps anyone here could help list products relative to their models that are available not just in Nigerian market. Thanks
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Nobody: 9:07am On May 02, 2015
Years:

One curious question I want to ask is that are there diesel engine powered saloon pupular products like the lexus, Toyota available ? Maybe it's just me because I have never come across one . Perhaps anyone here could help list products relative to their models that are available not just in Nigerian market. Thanks

Some toyota models are diesel powered. Eg, Avensis, Camry, Corolla, Hiace, Hilux, Hilux Surf,
Land Cruiser, Land Cruiser Prado, RAV4, Yaris,
Caldina etc. Lexus only diesel vehicle is the IS200d and IS220d of the second generation
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by nurey(m): 9:52am On May 02, 2015
Years:

The most popular diesel engine you will find in nigeria is still the VW product passat, bora and jetta, the golf diesel isn't as common as those except ones used by Julius berger.

The popular toyota with diesel is Hilux DLD variant, I have not come across any other diesel asian vehicle though I know mitsubishi has.

There is a guy here on NL who once said he uses an accord diesel powered I think 2005 model year.
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Years(m): 11:42am On May 02, 2015
lomomike:

Some toyota models are diesel powered. Eg, Avensis, Camry, Corolla, Hiace, Hilux, Hilux Surf,
Land Cruiser, Land Cruiser Prado, RAV4, Yaris,
Caldina etc. Lexus only diesel vehicle is the IS200d and IS220d of the second generation
You say IS200 ehn? I just checked it up not bad at all and I think my interests just got hooked Buh my doubt is that do you think this one will be as smooth as it's petrol counterpart when it comes to driving and how reliable is it compared to analysis presented here earlier on diesel engines?
[quote author=nurey post=33337315]
The most popular diesel engine you will find in nigeria is still the VW product passat, bora and jetta, the golf diesel isn't as common as those except ones used by Julius berger.
The popular toyota with diesel is Hilux DLD variant, I have not come across any other diesel asian vehicle though I know mitsubishi has.
There is a guy here on NL who once said he uses an accord diesel powered I think 2005 model year.
I'm personally not a fan of VW to be honest Buh I wouldn't even mind Audi products . Hilux? Yes I have seen once or twice but I'm more interested in the saloon versions just as you said a fellow has an accord I will really like to see the accord really.
And with the way fuel matter is handled in this country I think the best get away is the diesel engined car. Making part available readily is another matter Buh I know in naija there's always a way. Thanks anyway.
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Nobody: 12:07pm On May 02, 2015
Years:

You say IS200 ehn? I just checked it up not bad at all and I think my interests just got hooked Buh my doubt is that do you think this one will be as smooth as it's petrol counterpart when it comes to driving and how reliable is it compared to analysis presented here earlier on diesel engines?

Bro, I'm not in the mood to tell you about diesel or any lexus, at least not for now. Sorry and thank you.
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Nobody: 4:19pm On May 02, 2015
My recently acquired 2000 Audi A4 Quattro 2.5 V6 TDI:

And more recently acquired 2007 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2 V8 TDI:

Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Readonee35L(m): 5:36pm On May 02, 2015
@Siena i n3ver knew ur A8 is a Tdi
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Nobody: 6:31pm On May 02, 2015
Readonee35L:
@Siena i n3ver knew ur A8 is a Tdi

It wasn't. But it is now. wink

The black 2005 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2 V8 was a petrol model. I broke it up and sold it in parts. So far, it has netted me almost twice the original purchase price, and there's still loads left. smiley
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Nobody: 6:37pm On May 02, 2015
Siena:

The black 2005 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2 V8 was a petrol model. I broke it up and sold it in parts. So far, it has netted me almost twice the original purchase price, and there's still loads left. smiley

You backed off from the W12 rear SWB bench type you wanted to buy. Instead you got a V8 4.2 Tdi
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Readonee35L(m): 6:59pm On May 02, 2015
Siena:

Oh Cool.....
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by nurey(m): 7:58pm On May 02, 2015
Siena:

Oga siena, total specs of the 2007 A8 4.2L V8 TDI, don't forget to include the mpg rating. Thanks
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Nobody: 8:30pm On May 02, 2015
nurey:

Oga siena, total specs of the 2007 A8 4.2L V8 TDI, don't forget to include the mpg rating. Thanks

No worries, Nurey. I will post the specification here shortly.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Electric Vehicles: Top 10 Best Sellers In 2018 / 7 Driving Position Mistakes Car Drivers Make / Owning A Car Or Public Transport In Lagos, Which More Economical?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.