Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,422 members, 7,808,513 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:54 PM

Indonesia Drugsprisoners Have Finalmoments With Family - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Indonesia Drugsprisoners Have Finalmoments With Family (1872 Views)

Maryam Abacha Celebrates Her 70th Birthday With Family In New York (Photos) / Kayode Ogundamisi On Buhari Attending United Nation General Assembly With Family / Gov Dickson Celebrates 50th Birthday With Family & Friends In Grand Style.Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Indonesia Drugsprisoners Have Finalmoments With Family by onatisi(m): 12:32pm On Apr 28, 2015
A group of prisoners due
to be executed for drugs
offences in Indonesia
have spent what are
believed to be their final
moments with their
families.
Relatives of Australians
Andrew Chan and Myuran
Sukumaran were visibly
distressed. Sukumaran's
sister collapsed and had to
be carried.
Chan, Sukumaran and
seven others are expected
to be executed by firing
squad as early as Tuesday
night local time.
A French national still has
his appeal under review.
Indonesia has some of the
world's toughest drug laws,
but Jakarta has justified
this due to the country's
own drugs problem - 33
Indonesians die every day
as a result of drugs,
according to Indonesia's
National Narcotics Agency.
Australian media reported
that families of Chan and
Sukumaran were given
about five hours to say
their goodbyes, and that the
men had been denied their
own choice of spiritual
adviser in their final hours,
instead being given
Christian guides nominated
by the authorities. After the meeting, the
brothers of the Australians
made an appeal via the
media for final clemency,
with Michael Chan
describing the goodbye as
"torture".
"I saw today something that
no other family should ever
have to go through. To walk
out of there and say
goodbye for the last time, it
is torture. No family should
go through that."
Chintu Sukumaran said:
"There were so many things
to talk about. We did talk
about the death penalty and
he knows this is just a
waste... I ask the president
[of Indonesia] to please
show mercy, please don't
let my mum and my sister
have to bury my brother."
The relatives of Philippines
convict Mary Jane Veloso
were each given a blessing
by a Filipino priest as they
arrived at the prison on
Nusakambangan Island,
AFP reported.
"The family was so silent.
It's really very sad. We see
a kind of deep pain," he told
the agency.

1 Like

Re: Indonesia Drugsprisoners Have Finalmoments With Family by Nobody: 12:34pm On Apr 28, 2015
Source?
Re: Indonesia Drugsprisoners Have Finalmoments With Family by onatisi(m): 12:35pm On Apr 28, 2015
The nine prisoners, who
also include three
Nigerians, a Brazilian and a
Ghanaian, were formally
notified on Saturday that
they would be executed.
Under Indonesian law,
criminals must be given 72
hours notice, which means
that they can be killed as
early as Tuesday night local
time (Tuesday afternoon
GMT).
Australian Foreign Minister
Julie Bishop earlier urged
Indonesia to delay the
execution of its two
nationals until a corruption
investigation into their case
was complete.
'No legal standing'
But Indonesia's attorney
general later confirmed that
the nine death row convicts
would be executed as
planned.
Attorney General HM
Prasetyo told the BBC a
judicial review "could not
amend [a] previous court
ruling" and that "foreigners
do not have any legal
standing for a judicial
review on the
Constitutional Court".
Claims that the Indonesian
judges in the trial had
asked for bribes for lighter
sentences first surfaced
earlier this year.
One of the judges involved
in the case denied there
had been political
interference or negotiations
about bribes. Who is facing execution?
Australians Myuran
Sukumaran and Andrew
Chan
Filipina Mary Jane Fiesta
Veloso
Frenchman Serge Areski
Atlaoui
Ghanaian Martin
Anderson
Indonesian Zainal Abidin
bin Mgs Mahmud
Badarudin
Nigerians Raheem
Agbaje Salami, Sylvester
Obiekwe Nwolise,
Okwudili Oyatanze
Brazilian Rodrigo Gularte
"I can assure you there was
none," the judge told
Fairfax Media. "We
protected ourselves from
everybody. It was purely
our decision."
The head of Europe's 47-
nation human rights
organisation, the Council of
Europe, also issued a
statement on Tuesday
calling on Indonesia to call
off the execution.
"The death penalty is a
terrible injustice which can
never be put right," said
Council of Europe
Secretary General
Thorbjorn Jagland.
Chan and Sukumaran,
along with seven other
Australians, were arrested
in Bali in 2005 for trying to
smuggle more than 18lb
(8.2kg) of heroin from
Indonesia to Australia.
The pair were later found to
be the ringleaders of the
group and sentenced to
death. The other seven
members of the "Bali Nine"
are currently serving either
life or 20 years in prison.
Indonesia has some of the
toughest drug laws in the
world and ended a four-
year moratorium on
executions in 2013.
Re: Indonesia Drugsprisoners Have Finalmoments With Family by Nobody: 12:36pm On Apr 28, 2015
Though dou
Re: Indonesia Drugsprisoners Have Finalmoments With Family by onatisi(m): 12:37pm On Apr 28, 2015
May the lord forgive them their sins and grant them enteral rest.

3 Likes

Re: Indonesia Drugsprisoners Have Finalmoments With Family by onatisi(m): 12:38pm On Apr 28, 2015
tkcosby02:
Though dou
very tough for a mother to see her child for the last time . It is an agony no woman ever prays to have .

1 Like

Re: Indonesia Drugsprisoners Have Finalmoments With Family by ImperialYoruba: 12:58pm On Apr 28, 2015
I want Indonesia to keep this law in place. Anyone that sells poison for others to consume, deserves a torturous (hope i spelt it right) death himself....and their loved ones deserve the indignity and grief of witnessing their son waste away with the count down on the clock. Afterall, the relatives and families of drug addicts go through a worse agony and grief in the deterioration stages of the victims of these criminals.

I would love to see Buhari reinstate death penalty for drug mules in Nigeria. Its not a Muslim thing and its not a Christian thing, it is a human thing and we deserve right to life, free from consumption of poison.
Re: Indonesia Drugsprisoners Have Finalmoments With Family by onatisi(m): 1:02pm On Apr 28, 2015
ImperialYoruba:
I want Indonesia to keep this law in place. Anyone that sells poison for others to consume, deserves a torturous (hope i spelt it right) death himself....and their loved ones deserve the indignity and grief of witnessing their son waste away with the count down on the clock. Afterall, the relatives and families of drug addicts go through a worse agony and grief in the deterioration stages of the victims of these criminals.

I would love to see Buhari reinstate death penalty for drug mules in Nigeria. Its not a Muslim thing and its not a Christian thing, it is a human thing and we deserve right to life, free from consumption of poison.
be careful what you wish for .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indonesia Drugsprisoners Have Finalmoments With Family by Nobody: 1:09pm On Apr 28, 2015
onatisi:
very tough for a mother to see her child for the last time . It is an agony no woman ever prays to have .
The best is to stay away.
Re: Indonesia Drugsprisoners Have Finalmoments With Family by onatisi(m): 1:19pm On Apr 28, 2015
tkcosby02:

The best is to stay away.
I understand ,but please try and read the story of the filipino lady ,mother of 2 that will be killed . Very very sad . There is also a 58 year old british grandmother that was forced to carry the drugs , her children were kidnapped by the drug barons and theyu threatened to kill them if she didn't carry the drugs . She was caught and she happily cooperated with the indonesia police to arrest the barons,she called them and everything was taped. Ironically the barons were released and she was sentenced to death.

1 Like

Re: Indonesia Drugsprisoners Have Finalmoments With Family by Nobody: 1:32pm On Apr 28, 2015
onatisi:
I understand ,but please try and read the story of the filipino lady ,mother of 2 that will be killed . Very very sad . There is also a 58 year old british grandmother that was forced to carry the drugs , her children were kidnapped by the drug barons and theyu threatened to kill them if she didn't carry the drugs . She was caught and she happily cooperated with the indonesia police to arrest the barons,she called them and everything was taped. Ironically the barons were released and she was sentenced to death.
Its so pathetic but that always the feeling after purnishment for crime...every1 has a reason or the other for imdulging in criminal activities, However we cant always judge crime base on personal feelings or emotion cos if we do people will end up commiring crime over and over again. The main aim of purnishment is not pain but deterance, the patheric nature of it will make people think otherwise. Many factors may have contributed to the alleged barons been freed. Its a matter of time, they will meet their water loo. I wana implore you google spelucean explorer and read about it, you will realise that punishment is a big difference between law and nature.
Re: Indonesia Drugsprisoners Have Finalmoments With Family by Sapeleboy(m): 1:41pm On Apr 28, 2015
What a world
Re: Indonesia Drugsprisoners Have Finalmoments With Family by Gbawe: 1:49pm On Apr 28, 2015
Very sad. I cannot even begin to imagine what the families must be going through. People should desist from drug smuggling period. The consequences of drug trafficking to nations like Indonesia are well-known and I wonder why anyone would still attempt such knowing they may pay with their life. With 33 Indonesians dying daily from drug-related causes then I think an argument can be made for Indonesia taking this draconian measure to try and prevent the death of their citizens.

1 Like

Re: Indonesia Drugsprisoners Have Finalmoments With Family by AjanleKoko: 2:00pm On Apr 28, 2015
For me, the death penalty should only be applied to the most extreme offenders. Even at that, it doesn't seem to be a strong enough deterrent.
Very sad for the families of the convicted. Everyone deserves a second chance, even drug mules. Too bad it has to be this way.

3 Likes

Re: Indonesia Drugsprisoners Have Finalmoments With Family by onatisi(m): 3:24pm On Apr 28, 2015
Gbawe:
Very sad. I cannot even begin to imagine what the families must be going through. People should desist from drug smuggling period. The consequences of drug trafficking to nations like Indonesia are well-known and I wonder why anyone would still attempt such knowing they may pay with their life. With 33 Indonesians dying daily from drug-related causes then I think an argument can be made for Indonesia taking this draconian measure to try and prevent the death of their citizens.
what makes it more painful is that majority of these sentences were passed 10 to 15years ago .

2 Likes

Re: Indonesia Drugsprisoners Have Finalmoments With Family by Gbawe: 3:44pm On Apr 28, 2015
onatisi:
what makes it more painful is that majority of these sentences were passed 10 to 15years ago .

That is really cruel. Indonesia should commute those sort of death sentences, with offenders on death row for more than 10 years, to life imprisonment with possibility of parole. If someone is on death row for 10 to 15 years then a compassionate justice system should consider that those offenders have suffered enough for the category of crime committed without going ahead to execute them. It seems inhumane and cruel to me.

1 Like

Re: Indonesia Drugsprisoners Have Finalmoments With Family by Nobody: 6:01pm On Apr 28, 2015
An agonizing story to all this is the Phillipino lady who was set up,the man who set her up had come forward to the police as at yesterday but Wiko is hell bent on slaughtering them all just to prove a point.
Re: Indonesia Drugsprisoners Have Finalmoments With Family by publicenemy(m): 6:18pm On Apr 28, 2015
Hop this serves as a deterent to others.
Re: Indonesia Drugsprisoners Have Finalmoments With Family by Ojiofor: 6:23pm On Apr 28, 2015
ImperialYoruba:

If America were to be Indonesia thie.fnubu wont be alive today to become your political hero.Death sentence is extreme and I believe people deserve a second chance in life.
Re: Indonesia Drugsprisoners Have Finalmoments With Family by onatisi(m): 6:41pm On Apr 28, 2015
CyrusXandria:
An agonizing story to all this is the Phillipino lady who was set up,the man who set her up had come forward to the police as at yesterday but Wiko is hell bent on slaughtering them all just to prove a point.

bros ,really I have been telling ppl that the filipino woman was setup,she is just like any other person that seek employment in another country. What is happening to her can happen to anyone. If wiko goes ahead and execute these ppl ,I doubt if his government will last long, even indonesians are tired of him and he has only been in power for 6months .
Re: Indonesia Drugsprisoners Have Finalmoments With Family by otokx(m): 7:21pm On Apr 28, 2015
Indonesia is doing the right thing, other countries should emulate.
Re: Indonesia Drugsprisoners Have Finalmoments With Family by onatisi(m): 8:03pm On Apr 28, 2015
otokx:
Indonesia is doing the right thing, other countries should emulate.
how is it the right thing? U allow drug barons who are influential politicians and govt officials go scot free,while u execute people who are couriers ,some of whom are forced to do it against their wish. If u have been involved in a case where u are to choose between the life of ur son and u doing something illegal u will understand . Look at the american pattern ,they go after the drug barons even up to mexico. It is the elimination of the barons that can stop the trade not the executions of couriers.
Re: Indonesia Drugsprisoners Have Finalmoments With Family by onatisi(m): 8:21pm On Apr 28, 2015
Eight convicted drug smugglers have been executed by firing squad in Indonesia. The executions took place in Besi prison on the island of Nusakambangan early on Wednesday morning local time. Among those executed were Australians Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran. Earlier, the men's families were allowed to see them for the last time. Australia had appealed to Indonesia to delay the executions, citing alleged flaws in how their case was prosecuted. Those put to death also include Nigerian nationals, a Brazilian and an Indonesian. Filipina woman Mary Jane Fiesta Veloso was also due to be executed, but this was postponed at the last minute after a request by the Philippine president, a spokesman from the attorney general's office told the BBC. The request came after someone suspected of framing Veloso to carry heroin into Indonesia surrendered to police in the Philippines, the spokesman went on. 'A miracle' Indonesia would give Veloso the chance to testify as a witness in the trial in the Philippines, the spokesman said. Her mother described the last minute reprieve as a "miracle". "We are so happy, I can't believe it. I can't believe my child will live," Celia Veloso told Philippine radio station DZMM. A Frenchman also convicted of drug offences, Serge Areski Atlaoui, has also been sentenced to death but has an appeal outstanding. Earlier, the eight prisoners were allowed to spend their final moments with their families. Relatives of Chan and Sukumaran were visibly distressed and Sukumaran's sister collapsed and had to be carried to the prison. Indonesia has some of the toughest drug laws in the world and ended a four- year moratorium on executions in 2013. It says it takes a hard line because of the country's own drugs problem - 33 Indonesians die every day as a result of drugs, according to Indonesia's National Narcotics Agency.
Re: Indonesia Drugsprisoners Have Finalmoments With Family by onatisi(m): 8:21pm On Apr 28, 2015
Eight convicted drug smugglers have been executed by firing squad in Indonesia. The executions took place in Besi prison on the island of Nusakambangan early on Wednesday morning local time. Among those executed were Australians Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran. Earlier, the men's families were allowed to see them for the last time. Australia had appealed to Indonesia to delay the executions, citing alleged flaws in how their case was prosecuted. Those put to death also include Nigerian nationals, a Brazilian and an Indonesian. Filipina woman Mary Jane Fiesta Veloso was also due to be executed, but this was postponed at the last minute after a request by the Philippine president, a spokesman from the attorney general's office told the BBC. The request came after someone suspected of framing Veloso to carry heroin into Indonesia surrendered to police in the Philippines, the spokesman went on. 'A miracle' Indonesia would give Veloso the chance to testify as a witness in the trial in the Philippines, the spokesman said. Her mother described the last minute reprieve as a "miracle". "We are so happy, I can't believe it. I can't believe my child will live," Celia Veloso told Philippine radio station DZMM. A Frenchman also convicted of drug offences, Serge Areski Atlaoui, has also been sentenced to death but has an appeal outstanding. Earlier, the eight prisoners were allowed to spend their final moments with their families. Relatives of Chan and Sukumaran were visibly distressed and Sukumaran's sister collapsed and had to be carried to the prison. Indonesia has some of the toughest drug laws in the world and ended a four- year moratorium on executions in 2013. It says it takes a hard line because of the country's own drugs problem - 33 Indonesians die every day as a result of drugs, according to Indonesia's National Narcotics Agency.

(1) (Reply)

UK Columnist Slams Nigerians All Because Of Diezani / Biafra: MASSOB,IPOB Deny Setting Onitsha Central Mosque Ablaze / Conduct A Referendum Now!!! British Mps Moved Motion For Biafra Independence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.