Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,657 members, 7,801,912 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:23 AM

Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences (54409 Views)

UK Police Has Declared A Nigerian, Gbenga Ajibade, Wanted For Fraud Offences / Ghana Police Arrest 5 Nigerians For Selling Joystick & Buttocks Enlargement Drug / Indonesia Executes Three Nigerians By Firing Squad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by UrennaNkoli(f): 7:51pm On Apr 28, 2015

Eight convicted drug smugglers have been executed by firing squad in Indonesia.

The executions took place in Besi prison on the island of Nusakambangan early on Wednesday morning local time.

However, the execution of a ninth convict, a woman from the Philippines, was postponed at the last minute.

Among those killed were Australians Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran. Earlier, the men's families were allowed to see them for the last time.
Australia had appealed to Indonesia to delay the executions, citing alleged flaws in how their case was prosecuted.

After the executions, Steven Ciobo, parliamentary secretary to Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop, tweeted: "There are few greater displays of abuse of state power and regressive thinking than the death penalty."

Those put to death also include Nigerian nationals, a Brazilian and an Indonesian.

Filipina woman Mary Jane Fiesta Veloso was also due to be executed, but this was delayed after a request by the Philippine president, a spokesman from the attorney general's office told the BBC.
The request came after someone suspected of framing Veloso to carry heroin into Indonesia surrendered to police in the Philippines, the spokesman went on.

'A miracle'

Indonesia would give Veloso the chance to testify as a witness in the trial in the Philippines, the spokesman said.

Her mother described the last minute reprieve as a "miracle".

"We are so happy, I can't believe it. I can't believe my child will live," Celia Veloso told Philippine radio station DZMM.

A Frenchman also convicted of drug offences, Serge Areski Atlaoui, has also been sentenced to death but has an appeal outstanding.

Earlier, the eight prisoners were allowed to spend their final moments with their families.
Relatives of Chan and Sukumaran were visibly distressed and Sukumaran's sister collapsed and had to be carried to the prison.

Australia had urged Indonesia to delay the execution of its two nationals until a corruption investigation into their case was complete.
Chan and Sukumaran, along with seven other Australians, were arrested in Bali in 2005 for trying to smuggle more than 18lb (8.2kg) of heroin from Indonesia to Australia.

The pair were later found to be the ringleaders of the group and sentenced to death. The other seven members of the "Bali Nine" are currently serving either life or 20 years in prison.

Indonesia has some of the toughest drug laws in the world and ended a four-year moratorium on executions in 2013.

It says it takes a hard line because of the country's own drugs problem - 33 Indonesians die every day as a result of drugs, according to Indonesia's National Narcotics Agency.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32501712

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by Nobody: 7:56pm On Apr 28, 2015
What about the four Nigerians?
Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by Jackeeh(m): 7:59pm On Apr 28, 2015
Equalizer:

They are in their respective villages, sipping palm wine undecided

118 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by Nobody: 7:59pm On Apr 28, 2015
What kind of stringent laws is that? Why can de put such laws in corruption related cases if their country will nt be one of the richest in d world, to me o dat law is gross deciet and wickedness.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by Samchelsea(m): 8:02pm On Apr 28, 2015
Partiality at its peak....so after how many years someone now turns himself in to save the Filipino while the rest were executed, I believe the Philippine govt got someone and payed him a huge sum so as to save the woman

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by Nobody: 8:04pm On Apr 28, 2015
Jackeeh:

They have been deported back to Nigeria. undecided
their lifeless bodies or deported alive?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by Jackeeh(m): 8:06pm On Apr 28, 2015
Equalizer:

their lifeless bodies or deported alive?

Bros are u 4 real? They've all been executed nah. Save for the Filipino lady.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by Holatunde007(m): 8:06pm On Apr 28, 2015
Jackeeh:

Lol Via konga abi Some pipu ask question thou!

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by Holatunde007(m): 8:10pm On Apr 28, 2015
Samchelsea:
Partiality at its peak....so after how many years someone now turns himself in to save the Filipino while the rest were executed, I believe the Philippine govt got someone and payed him a huge sum to so as to save the woman
Young man if not that u are a fellow team fan, I would hav kick u out of here......anyway ur opinion was wrong cos that Philippine woman was forced to carry thr drug by the abduction of her two children, while those pipu threaten to kill her children if she didn't yield up to their request........so what could she have done

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by UrennaNkoli(f): 8:14pm On Apr 28, 2015
Equalizer:

Every single one of them executed. Its so pitiable.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by bewla(m): 8:16pm On Apr 28, 2015
live it the way u c it
Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by Nobody: 8:21pm On Apr 28, 2015
UrennaNkoli:

Every single one of them executed. Its so pitiable.
Too bad.. May their souls rest in perfect peace Amen.. Our government should have sought for their repatriation nah.. I don't like this at all..

3 Likes

Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by Igwe9(m): 8:22pm On Apr 28, 2015
The worst form of death is when one knows that he is going to die and worst off, when it's through a painful means.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by Samchelsea(m): 8:39pm On Apr 28, 2015
Holatunde007:

Young man if not that u are a fellow team fan, I would hav kick u out of here......anyway ur opinion was wrong cos that Philippine woman was forced to carry thr drug by the abduction of her two children, while those pipu threaten to kill her children if she didn't yield up to their request........so what could she have done
ok bro thanks for the clarification....keep calm while we celebrate our EPL title by sunday

6 Likes

Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by UrennaNkoli(f): 8:41pm On Apr 28, 2015
Equalizer:

Too bad.. May their souls rest in perfect peace Amen.. Our government should have sought for their repatriation nah.. I don't like this at all..

The Australian government pleaded but it fell on deaf hears. The Nigerian government also pleaded too but if they could reject the plea of the Australians, they will never listen to Nigerians who have a very notorious history of drug traficking in south -east asia. Indonesia have arguably the strictest drug laws in the world along side malaysia and they take no nonsense. As cruel as this may be, it should serve as a lesson to others.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by Nobody: 8:43pm On Apr 28, 2015
[size=15pt]Igbo Kwenu !!!!!!!![/size]

However, I've always been looking for any opportunity to pee on this canker worm below me grin. Everyone join me in this unending mission. grin

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by Nobody: 8:53pm On Apr 28, 2015
RIP to the executed

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by Tvegas(m): 9:08pm On Apr 28, 2015
So Sad,in few years time my countrymen will not be shamefully executed this way again. With our support GMB will develop an economy that works for everyone.Hopefully.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by natureblack(m): 9:08pm On Apr 28, 2015
In the hours before the convicts were put to death,there was a flurry of activity as ambulances carried coffins to the island,and relatives made final anguished visits to their loved ones.

........RIP to the dead. sad sad sad

In other news; the 'Frenchman' has been granted a temporary retrieve to enable an outstanding legal appeal to run its course. undecided undecided undecided

pesin wey get pesin for heaven no dey go hellfire.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by siraj1402(m): 9:08pm On Apr 28, 2015
I hate this happening but I must say the truth. Ilu ti ko si ofin,ese o si nibe.Mofe dogun,mofe dogbon lobatan.No one can convince me that poverty lead them to this.A big lesson to whomever is thinking in engaging in such.Okele gbigbe pelu ifokanbale osan ju okele tutu pelu inira lo.

18 Likes

Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by adorablepepple(f): 9:08pm On Apr 28, 2015
sad
Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by efilefun(m): 9:09pm On Apr 28, 2015
This is so touching. But for real they all know the consequences and penalty that comes with the offense before embarking on it. But that's just the life of an hustler!!!!! As for the Philippine woman, her name alone would have made her a chief suspect (MARY JANE) but thank God the truth was revealed at the 12th hour.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by Tufunky: 9:09pm On Apr 28, 2015
So of all the countries in the world that don't carry out the death penalty for drug trafficking, why smuggle drugs to indonesia. Why do people like to test the will of other peoples government? Every country is entitled to its laws. There are over 200 countries in the world with a few wealthy ones among them that dont issue the death penalty. If you must smuggle drugs and take risks, why not do so wisely. Now you are dead and the world is still spinning.

16 Likes

Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by Nobody: 9:09pm On Apr 28, 2015
Adieu

Get rich or die trying...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by ozoigbondu: 9:09pm On Apr 28, 2015
Xbabangida:
[size=15pt]Igbo Kwenu !!!!!!!![/size]

70 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by dhamstar(m): 9:09pm On Apr 28, 2015
So sad these people had to die.. May the Almighty Allah forgive them their sins and grant them alujana fidau.. So so sad...*sobs*

5 Likes

Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by Nobody: 9:09pm On Apr 28, 2015
Good job

3 Likes

Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by Sijo01(f): 9:09pm On Apr 28, 2015
Equalizer:

Jackeeh:

cheesy cheesy cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by Nobody: 9:10pm On Apr 28, 2015
This kind of news just makes you...
[img]http://i./9o3zww8eupvhe.gif[/img]

[img]http://i./g0SY6YRFmzYnm.gif[/img]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by Jerrick(m): 9:10pm On Apr 28, 2015
Nigeria will change if we embrace this measure.

3 Likes

Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by lammnora: 9:10pm On Apr 28, 2015
so painful
Re: Indonesia Executes Eight Prisoners Including Nigerians For Drugs Offences by naijathings(m): 9:10pm On Apr 28, 2015
[size=14pt]These guys already knew the laws of the land they were dealing on... they took their chances and got caught, now I wonder why people are saying bad things about indonesia.

Now Y is everyone mad @ Indonesia for standing their ground and keeping their laws against drugs.

Kudos to Indonesia for standing their ground and not succumbing to international pressure.

Warning : Don't deal drugs in Indonesia if you don't want to get shot in the chest. [/size]

11 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

#EndSARS: Police Officer Kills His Colleague In Abuja, Commits Suicide / Friday Billions: Yahoo Boy Declared Wanted For Defiling 6-Year-Old Girl In Delta / SARS Beating A Man To Coma (Disturbing Video, Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.