Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,437 members, 7,808,563 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:29 PM

Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? (21824 Views)

Poll: Is violence the answer to this problem?

Yes, maybe: 21% (4 votes)
Absolutely not: 78% (15 votes)
This poll has ended

Buhari To Continue Amnesty Programme For Niger Delta / Katsina Stoning: Niger Delta “ll Retaliate, Says Dokubo Asari / Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by Chxta(m): 11:31am On Oct 05, 2006
Ono it is refreshing to for once be involved in discussion with you without your having to resort to threats. I'm extremely pleased. Like I said before, one day we would meet for a beer and cheer the Super Eagles together.

Meantime it feels good to be proved right (yet again) about the 'militants': http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articleinvesting.aspx?type=allBreakingNews&storyID=2006-10-05T093453Z_01_L05727657_RTRIDST_0_NIGERIA-DELTA.XML

Obong(), what can I say?

obong:

chxta, clearly you're a bigot and a fool.

so 2 shell workers represent all. how do you know these guys even work there. for all your know its seun or you posing as these psoters.
I have at least 19 friends in Shell alone, and a total of give or take 40 acquaintances spread across the oil industry. Not a boast, just a fact. The point remains that all of them (note that not all of them are members of Nairaland) share roughly the same view about this 'struggle' of yours. In the meantime, majority of them are from the Niger Delta. In the meantime I'd advice you not to bring Seun into this, he hasn't posted here, and his banning fingers are quite itchy.

how long have the leaderrs of these regiosn controlled the resources that we are talking about. you wish to blame the condition of the delta on these few leaders that propped up recently after democracy. you think in 6or 7 years they can fix years if oppression and neglect.
Diette-Spiff for starters.

all those speaking about the underdevelopment of the delta, tell me, how long have the local leaders had a hand in their development. be honest.
Again, Diette-Spiff. Could we add E P Clark, Chief Okumagba and W Harriman who have been in one position or the other since before I was born?

bastards like chxta should be lined up and shot, or better yet, quartered.
The facts remain (and I am yet to be proved wrong in any forum that I have raised these points despite all the hate and threats directed at me)
. Guy, tougher people than you have threatened to do worse things to me, and that didn't prevent me from speaking my mind. Looks like you just found out about the ancient treatment of quartering.

and please stop promotting that stupid blog of yours
If I don't promote my 'stupid' blog, who will?

Ono, I have a class soon. When I'm freer we can tete-a-tete. That okay by you?
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by otokx(m): 2:48pm On Oct 05, 2006
Nothing dey pa, anything wey pa na winch
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by Odeku(m): 4:21pm On Oct 05, 2006
can we focus on the topic and not keep attacking each other.
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by walaty(m): 4:40pm On Oct 05, 2006
hey guys, i must say that i have really enjoyed reading through all your posts and must say you all got something good to say. africaface, you are right. neocolonialism is a big problem in africa and most of the salaries of the expatriates are exaggerated. these people dont get paid as much for the same jobs in their countries. odeku, the oil actually belong to the people and it is the main or even the only source of nigeria's revenue. as such i dont think the in these regions should suffer at all.n buchio7, you are right also. most, if not all our problems in nigeria are caused by the greediness of our leaders.
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by waffistyle(m): 7:05pm On Oct 05, 2006
as far as i am concerned, we no be fool!!!!!!!, before the full exploration of oil in the 60s, there were regions, and the centre was weak,all the regions were self-sustaining and paying 50% tax to the centre, when it was discovered that oil was in abundance, and was better than goldmine, the North in colaboration with the miltary changed the system from Federalism to Unitary only on economic matters, the centre now owned all resources and thus controlled them, only when oil is in the land, There is no state in the NigerDelta that can't be self-sustaining with or without oil,before the advent of oil, there was good trade in Timber, palm produce, etc in the NigerDelta,
The solution to this problem is to simply revert back to how it was in 1960. the centre is too involved in the running of the economy,thus encouraging corruption, our economy should be more private driven, that would even be a more sustainable fight against corruption, since we are capitalists by nature,
the communities should be given back their land, and they have a choice to enter into partnership wth the state Government, or any oil company to drill oil, and they are taxed at source, this is the permanent solution, or involve them as partners, maybe the oil companies could give a particular parecentage of their income to the original owners of the land, so far their installations and equipment are safe, just get them more involved and responsible, we in the Niger Delta dont subscribe to the general talk that the whole of Nigeria owns our oil, we NO BE FOOL!!!!

if you have orange tree, cocoa etc on your land, nobody drags the land with you it is yours, the moment there is oil, it is now owned by the Federal Government of Nigeria, RUBBISH!
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by waffistyle(m): 7:34pm On Oct 05, 2006
ANOTHER SOLUTION IS TELL ALL THE OIL COMPANIES TO SUSPEND EXPLORATION FOR AT LEAST 2YEARS , SO WE SORT OUT OUR PROBLEMS, NIGERIA CAN THEN LOOK INWARDS AND DO OTHER THINGS TO GENERATE FOREIGN EXCHANGE, AND INCOME FOR THE NATION, RIGHT NOW WE DE MAKE YANGA, WE FEEL THAT WE ARE A VICTIM TO NIGERIA, AND WITHOUT OUR LAND AND OIL NO NIGERIA, PROVE US WRONG!

NIGERIA IS LIKE A FATHER THAT HAS 6 SONS, AND THE LAST HAS A GOD-GIVEN TALENT THAT HE USES TO MAKE MONEY FOR HIMSELF,HE MAKES A LOT MORE MONEY THAN HIS ELDER BROTHERS BUT WAS TOLD BY THE FATHER THAT SO FAR HE STAYS IN HIS HOUSE, ALL MONIES MUST COME TO HIM(FATHER) FIRST, AND HE WOULD USE SENIORITY AS A BASIS TO SHARING THE MONIES GOTTEN BY ALL HIS SONS DAILY,

HOW DO YOU THINK THE LAST SON WILL BE FEELING?

MAKE I DE ON MY OWN NA IM GO PAY ME PASS, angry
WHICH KIND LAZY BROTHERS I GET SEF, NA ONLY ME GO DE FEED THEM angry
IN SHORT I NO DE WORK AGAIN, IF PAPA LIKE MAKE E BEAT ME, HABA angry

HE WOULD NOT BE HAPPY,

AND IT BECOMES WORSE WHEN HIS DAD SAYS THINGS LIKE

YOU NO FIT DE ON YOUR OWN, YOU REMAIN UNDER MY ROOF AND DO AS I SAY
YOUR BROTHERS MIGHT BE LAZY, BUT THEY ARE YOUR BROTHERS, AND TOMMORROW THEY TOO MIGHT MAKE MOARE MONEY
YOU MUST GO AND WORK AND BRING ALL THE MONEY TO ME, OR ELSE I WILL BEAT YOU AND NOT GIVE YOU FOOD TO EAT.

THE LAST SON MIGHT NOW START

STOP DECLARING ALL HE EARNED FOR THE DAY
PLANNING TO RUN AWAY FAR AWAY FROM HIS FATHER AND BROTHERS
BECOME DISOBEDIENT
BECOME STUBBORN
BEGIN TO FEEL INDISPENSABLE

DO I MAKE ANY SENSE? grin
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by obong(m): 7:57pm On Oct 05, 2006
It's said in china that when two people are arguing, the one who throws the first punch is the one who knows that his argument is weaker. You obviously prove that point. The truth is, you know nothing about chxta, all you can do is hazard a guess at his character, his temperament, his mien from his postings. So your insults are wild speculations at best.
Alas, they are insults, nonetheless. So unfortunately for you, we all know now that in reality you're a rude, uncouth, ill-mannered and shallow person. These are not insults, you understand.

you're a joke my friend. yes indeed nairalan is a place for intellectual conversatioons and genocide and bigotry. what facts have your raised?. you are talking about how i addressed him without going to the points i raised. fact is i know his character from his many blogs, well as least the character he presents here, and based on that he is a bigot.

misquoting the chinese does not make your position the correct one. kep dwelling on what you percieve as insults and dont address my points. only simple minds govern themselves with contradictory proverbs
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by obong(m): 8:49pm On Oct 05, 2006
Otokx and Obong,
You two are indeed representatives of our people. But, Obong, you'd do well to apologise to Chxta. I don't like his views about the Niger Delta people and leaders, but we sure can get some other juicy stuff from him. Let us not throw punches, so that we will not be seen as weaklings in putting forth our points to buttress what we believe.

thank you my brother, but if these guys r unafriad of lookin glike bigots, i am unafraid of looking 'weak' by pointing out these madness. besides they are yet to address my points about who has ruled th ND until recently
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by Odeku(m): 9:15pm On Oct 06, 2006
all you guys are making noise, what is the lasting solution> ? we are still waiting, what about all the governors and minister, and representative from this region? who bear the highest responsibility?
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by Sijien(m): 10:28pm On Oct 06, 2006
all of una just dey skata yarn 4 here!
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by Hunter(m): 12:55am On Oct 07, 2006
walaty:

hey guys, i must say that i have really enjoyed reading through all your posts and must say you all got something good to say. africaface, you are right. neocolonialism is a big problem in africa and most of the salaries of the expatriates are exaggerated. these people don't get paid as much for the same jobs in their countries. odeku, the oil actually belong to the people and it is the main or even the only source of nigeria's revenue. as such i don't think the in these regions should suffer at all.n buchio7, you are right also. most, if not all our problems in nigeria are caused by the greediness of our leaders.

The reason why the salary of expatriates has to be so exagerated is because the skill sets aren't always available in Nigeria and it is difficult to get people to want to work in Nigeria because of Safety concerns. How would it be in the best interest of a company to have to pay someone from abroad a disproportionate wage, if someone locally could do the same job?

Your right though the oil does belong to the people, hence why organizations have to pay taxes.
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by dblock(m): 3:01am On Oct 07, 2006
In every developing country foreigners get payed more, but in Developed countries it's a different story angry
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by Hunter(m): 5:30am On Oct 07, 2006
dblock:

In every developing country foreigners get payed more, but in Developed countries it's a different story angry

And why is that? Because it's much easier and better for a company to employ a local.
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by dblock(m): 7:19am On Oct 07, 2006
That's true, when will Africans learn that our people aren't illiterate pigs undecided
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by Chxta(m): 4:12pm On Oct 09, 2006
obong:

It's said in china that when two people are arguing, the one who throws the first punch is the one who knows that his argument is weaker. You obviously prove that point. The truth is, you know nothing about chxta, all you can do is hazard a guess at his character, his temperament, his mien from his postings. So your insults are wild speculations at best.
Alas, they are insults, nonetheless. So unfortunately for you, we all know now that in reality you're a rude, uncouth, ill-mannered and shallow person. These are not insults, you understand.

you're a joke my friend. yes indeed nairalan is a place for intellectual conversatioons and genocide and bigotry. what facts have your raised?. you are talking about how i addressed him without going to the points i raised. fact is i know his character from his many blogs, well as least the character he presents here, and based on that he is a bigot.

misquoting the chinese does not make your position the correct one. kep dwelling on what you percieve as insults and don't address my points. only simple minds govern themselves with contradictory proverbs

Bigot: a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.

So Obong, based on the trend this thread has taken, who is the bigot?
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by walaty(m): 5:18pm On Oct 09, 2006
you are making correct sense waffistyle
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by ono(m): 9:58am On Oct 11, 2006
Uncle[b] Chxta[/b], I'm yet to see your reply to my last entry on this matter.
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by Chxta(m): 5:15pm On Oct 12, 2006
Nephew Ono, I will reply to you. Ask any Igbo guy what my name means. I never forget. Just that them wan fade me with work for school, so I dey hardly come Nairaland. Most of my activity now na for my blog.

How u dey?
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by texazzpete(m): 8:40pm On Oct 14, 2006
a few days ago members of the Delta state house of reps cut short their recess periods to take possession of brand new Prado Jeeps. The members formerly were using Passat cars. This largesse by the govt comes with barely seven months to the end of their tenures.
I'm sure we all know how much these jeeps cost brand new. later y'all greedy folks will heap blame onmultinational oil companies, when leaders without focus are doing most of the havoc,
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by Chxta(m): 12:53pm On Oct 15, 2006
Tex!
Tex!!
Tex!!!

How many times I call your name? I dey UK safely, you dey middle of dem o! Obong would come after you o! grin
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Oct 15, 2006
Hunter:

The reason why the salary of expatriates has to be so exagerated is because the skill sets aren't always available in Nigeria and it is difficult to get people to want to work in Nigeria because of Safety concerns. How would it be in the best interest of a company to have to pay someone from abroad a disproportionate wage, if someone locally could do the same job?

Your right though the oil does belong to the people, hence why organizations have to pay taxes.

mr Hunter abi ube fisherman
stop deceiving your self that the expertraites have higher skill set it is a blantant lie
i am an engineer i have been in situations i have to bail the expertraite(s) out on many occasions most are dumber than they look. many are not even qualified to handle the positon they give to them to handle, they then turn around to use u to perform their task while th ey go home withthe money

the situation is a funtion of govt not putting a stop to this fraud foreign companies carry out in nigeria

i wont call the name of the company i saw to it that the american was sent home because he does not even know the basics of the job he was meant to be an expert on

and i wish i could lay hold of u and beat the hell out of u for making stupid suggestions. we have highly skilled trained prfessionals inthis country nobody wants to give them a chance to proove them selve your in austrailia hunting crocodiles and claiming your smart. by the way r u a nigerian

sorry if i insulted u u just pissed me off angry
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by texazzpete(m): 9:24pm On Oct 15, 2006
kaecy5:

mr Hunter abi ube fisherman
stop deceiving your self that the expertraites have higher skill set it is a blantant lie
i am an engineer i have been in situations i have to bail the expertraite(s) out on many occasions most are dumber than they look. many are not even qualified to handle the positon they give to them to handle, they then turn around to use u to perform their task while th ey go home withthe money

the situation is a funtion of govt not putting a stop to this fraud foreign companies carry out in nigeria

i wont call the name of the company i saw to it that the american was sent home because he does not even know the basics of the job he was meant to be an expert on

and i wish i could lay hold of u and beat the hell out of u for making stupid suggestions. we have highly skilled trained prfessionals inthis country nobody wants to give them a chance to proove them selve your in austrailia hunting crocodiles and claiming your smart. by the way r u a nigerian

sorry if i insulted u u just pissed me off angry

you're generalizing about these expats. many of them actually know their stuff and have years of experience.
the thing is, many of these companies pour millions of dollars in their companies in naija. if i was in their shoes and i needed staff to run the businesses, looking at the terrible state of the nigerian educational system, i might go for tried and tested. the truth is, many Nigerians have the skill but years of the crappy educational system here as well as stifling work environments have robbed many Nigerian workers of any spark of creativity.
besides, the salary difference, while much to you, will seem minimal to the company.
You didnt even read Hunter's post before criticizing it. tell me how can the statement 'because the skill sets aren't always available in Nigeria' be interpreted as sayign expatriates always have higher skill sets?

You guys complain that expats receive high salary. Why did none of you complain when Okonjo-iweala was being paid in dollars. Wasn't the reason given that she left a high paying job to come serve her fatherland? If you could accept this, stop this reverse racism and let every man do his thing.
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by ono(m): 7:54am On Oct 16, 2006
texazzpete:

a few days ago members of the Delta state house of reps cut short their recess periods to take possession of brand new Prado Jeeps. The members formerly were using Passat cars. This largesse by the govt comes with barely seven months to the end of their tenures.
I'm sure we all know how much these jeeps cost brand new. later y'all greedy folks will heap blame onmultinational oil companies, when leaders without focus are doing most of the havoc,

Send me the link (s) to this your new story, Tex. For me sha, the tory no fit hold ground.
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by texazzpete(m): 1:12pm On Oct 16, 2006
ono:

Send me the link (s) to this your new story, Tex. For me sha, the tory no fit hold ground.

hey man, why woul;d i lie over something like this, just to prove a point? Was in vanguard a couple of days ago, not sure if it found its way online, such things are becoming commonplace in nigeria nowadays
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by ono(m): 3:27pm On Oct 16, 2006
Anyway, as per corruption, I'll suggest you go and ask OBJ where he got the money to spend buying Hummer Jeeps for his girlfriends, and concubines at Abuja and all over the world!
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by texazzpete(m): 8:29pm On Oct 16, 2006
ono:

Anyway, as per corruption, I'll suggest you go and ask OBJ where he got the money to spend buying Hummer Jeeps for his girlfriends, and concubines at Abuja and all over the world!

i'm not saying OBJ is not corrupt. i'm not denying the need for oil producing areas to feel the impact of the oil boom. all i've come out to say is that instead of looking always to the multinationals to blame, we should look inwards. the money we get from the derivation, is the impact being felt? Even if it's inadequate, has the huge sums released been properly used? Shouldnt corrupt leaders get the blame too?
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by ono(m): 7:45am On Oct 17, 2006
Listen to me Tex, when the head is corrupt, one can safely conclude that the whole body is rotten and corrupt too.
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by texazzpete(m): 10:28am On Oct 17, 2006
ono:

Listen to me Tex, when the head is corrupt, one can safely conclude that the whole body is rotten and corrupt too.

We are in agreement in that!
But see, eh, if we want to pluck fruit from a mango tree, wouldnt we first reach for the low hanging fruit within our grasp before trying to pluck the ones high up? So also, let us cast our eyes first on the leaders in our reach,
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by ono(m): 1:47pm On Oct 17, 2006
texazzpete:

We are in agreement in that!
But see, eh, if we want to pluck fruit from a mango tree, wouldnt we first reach for the low hanging fruit within our grasp before trying to pluck the ones high up? So also, let us cast our eyes first on the leaders in our reach,

It depends. It's possible (as it's often the case) that the ripe fruits - mangos in this case, are way up there. It's better to get a bamboo stem and pluck off the ripe ones up there rather than going after the unripe ones below. Remember, it all depends on where the ripe fruit is

You see, the ripe fruits in the Nigerian context are way up there - in Aso Rock. Lets pluck these first, then we can begin to look at the unripe fruits in the states.
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by Chxta(m): 3:26pm On Oct 20, 2006
Ono my guy, I never forget you abeg no vex. I dey very busy since. . .

How u dey?
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by Chxta(m): 10:32pm On Nov 08, 2006
Obong I noticed that you're back around these parts. You've still failed to provide proof of my bigotry. . .

As for Ono, how you dey? I guess you would agree that the recent spate of kidnappings and immediate releases bear me out that these people aren't real. . ?

Off topic: http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061108.wsptigali8/GSStory/GlobeSportsOther/home

Something needs to be done!
Re: Solution To The Niger Delta Crisis? by Odeku(m): 11:43pm On Nov 08, 2006
DIALOGUE, DIALOGUE you can not kill fire with fire.  we need to call this people, talk to them as ouchildren'sns and see if we can come to agreement and compromise.[

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

We’ll Expose Boko Haram Collaborators —army / Rivers Tribunal: CJN Confirms Wike Visited His Office Twice / Mohammed Bello-Koko: Investigators Write UK Govt, Seek Visa Cancellation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.