Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,850 members, 7,798,838 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:09 AM

Why Does Fuel Last Longer When Your Tank Is Full? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Does Fuel Last Longer When Your Tank Is Full? (14717 Views)

Fuel Tank Spotted Inside A Bus (Photo) / How Many Days Can A 2000naira Fuel Last You? / 10 Ways To Make Car Fuel Last Longer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does Fuel Last Longer When Your Tank Is Full? by osile2012: 12:43am On Apr 29, 2015
[size=15pt]I noticed that if my fuel is bellow half tank it burns faster, before u know it, it is on reserve. But when ever the tank is full, you will drive and drive and yet it wont move an inch from the full line.

Whats the secret ?
[/size]
Re: Why Does Fuel Last Longer When Your Tank Is Full? by Extom(m): 1:09am On Apr 29, 2015
You mean your fuel Thank bellows?? undecided
Re: Why Does Fuel Last Longer When Your Tank Is Full? by Nobody: 2:21am On Apr 29, 2015
Faulty fuel gauge .....check the fuel volume that makes your car get to half tank n that that takes it to full tank!

The poster above is drunk

4 Likes

Re: Why Does Fuel Last Longer When Your Tank Is Full? by abatically(m): 3:37am On Apr 29, 2015
It is not a trick, lots of people like overfilling their tank (I been doing that in the past myself). U should stop filling ur tank once u hear the first click, but people would like to fill their tank until the fuel spills on the ground. The extra fuel that is forced into the tank would make it look like ur fuel burns slower on full tank. Also ur car reserve is big, in some cars there are extra 20 liters once the low fuel light comes up. Also u need extra room in ur gas tank to allow gasoline to expand.

Whenever I overfill my car, I get this 'check gas cap' warning on my instrument cluster. I never knew the cause of this until recently when I stopped overfilling then I never got the warning again. Overfilling ruins ur car's EVAP system.

U might want to check this link.

http://www.epa.gov/donttopoff/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does Fuel Last Longer When Your Tank Is Full? by chukel(m): 8:27am On Apr 29, 2015
It's not about over filling the tank. I don't fill my tank but I av noticed exactly wat op said. Once my fuel guage is below half, the speed with which it goes down is baffling. But wen it's above half, na enjoyment. Question is why?

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Fuel Last Longer When Your Tank Is Full? by haykay2005: 9:25am On Apr 29, 2015
Same tin happen to me ooo. Whenever I have a full tank, the fuel economy automatically improve

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Fuel Last Longer When Your Tank Is Full? by honmusa(m): 9:27am On Apr 29, 2015
osile2012:
[size=15pt]I noticed that if my fuel is bellow half tank it burns faster, before u know it, it is on reserve. But when ever the tank is full, you will drive and drive and yet it wont move an inch from the full line.

Whats the secret ?
[/size]

You are suppose to burn more fuel if your fuel inside your tank is more cos of the extra weight that your vehicle has to carry https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120106075252AAwWcwV , I will advice you check your fuel sender unit something is wrong.
Re: Why Does Fuel Last Longer When Your Tank Is Full? by Nobody: 10:40am On Apr 29, 2015
This has to do with the fuel level sensor which is usually a float switch incorporated with a potentiometer to vary electrical current to your fuel meter.
When you fill your tank, the fuel level actually goes further above the maximum limit of the float switch (this might be up to 10-15 litres), so when you use your car, you will think it actually saves more fuel when the tank is full, whereas it is this excess fuel that is being used up before the fuel level gets to the normal maximum level of the float switch. After which, the guage starts to respond to the actual fuel level remaining in the tank, reflecting your true fuel consumption.

'Reserve' also works with the same principle.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does Fuel Last Longer When Your Tank Is Full? by abatically(m): 11:15am On Apr 29, 2015
Hi
0rex:
This has to do with the fuel level sensor which is usually a float switch incorporated with a potentiometer to vary electrical current to your fuel meter.
When you fill your tank, the fuel level actually goes further above the maximum limit of the float switch (this might be up to 10-15 litres), so when you use your car, you will think it actually saves more fuel when the tank is full, whereas it is this excess fuel that is being used up before the fuel level gets to the normal maximum level of the float switch. After which, the guage starts to respond to the actual fuel level remaining in the tank, reflecting your true fuel consumption.

exactly what I was trying to explain. Actual fuel in the tank can be as much as 10L above the normal gauge, same way fuel in the reserve can be as much. A car showing red fuel warning can still go as far as 50km in some cars.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Fuel Last Longer When Your Tank Is Full? by osile2012: 11:23am On Apr 29, 2015
0rex:

[size=15pt]Thanks for this info.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Why Does Fuel Last Longer When Your Tank Is Full? by Nobody: 11:44am On Apr 29, 2015
abatically:
Hi

Yeah... Hello sir.

osile2012:

[size=15pt]Thanks for this info.[/size]
Welcome sir. wink
Re: Why Does Fuel Last Longer When Your Tank Is Full? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Apr 29, 2015
Yeah, noticed this also, there was a time I filled my tank from onitsha just after the bridge and went to ihiala and back without the guage dropping, then just after then the following day after starting in the morning then left it idling, it dropped to a bit bellow three quarter thank

1 Like

Re: Why Does Fuel Last Longer When Your Tank Is Full? by ricki: 4:05pm On Feb 26, 2019
It depends on the shape, reserve capacity of ur tank and any over fill you done !
Re: Why Does Fuel Last Longer When Your Tank Is Full? by YorubaEmir: 10:11pm On Feb 26, 2019
As someone rightly pointed out, for a 60 L tank for example, the fuel gauge might read “Full” when it’s up to 50 liters. That means , you can drive your car from 60L to 50L without the needle moving noticeably . But when it drops beyond 50L , it would seem like it’s burning faster . I experience it too .

Sometimes a faulty potentiometer could result to a wrong reading

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Fuel Last Longer When Your Tank Is Full? by okoroemeka(m): 12:01am On Feb 27, 2019
YorubaEmir:
As someone rightly pointed out, for a 60 L tank for example, the fuel gauge might read “Full” when it’s up to 50 liters. That means , you can drive your car from 60L to 50L without the needle moving noticeably . But when it drops beyond 50L , it would seem like it’s burning faster . I experience it too .

Sometimes a faulty potentiometer could result to a wrong reading
yes,also a most fuel tanks are built in such a way that from half tank up can contain 40ltrs , while half down may be 20 ltrs.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Hyundai Motors Unveils The New 2019 Santa Fe / Woman, 25, Crushed To Death By LAWMA Refuse Truck / These Are 6 Signs Your Car Needs An Engine Repair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.