Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,674 members, 7,801,946 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:39 AM

The Best Way To Answer "What's Your Biggest Weakness?" - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Best Way To Answer "What's Your Biggest Weakness?" (909 Views)

What Has Been Your Biggest Career Mistake? / 5 Reasons Being A Perfectionist Actually Is Your Biggest Weakness / 4 Better Ways To Answer "Why Are You Leaving Your Job?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Best Way To Answer "What's Your Biggest Weakness?" by Adesiji77: 5:38am On Apr 29, 2015
The questions, “What’s your greatest weakness?” or “What do you know you need to work on?” trip a lot of people up, because who wants to talk about the less impressive parts of your skill set or personality?

But here’s the thing: It can be really tough, but it’s important not to lie or to gloss over your weaknesses. Ultimately, most employers want to hire someone who’s reflective about their skill sets and knows what they’re not as good and need to work on.

So here’s one way that I think about answering this question. First, think about something that isn’t your strong suit, whether it’s delegating to others or attention to detail, but think about it back in the past. Show how you’ve taken steps to overcome it, or worked hard on getting better, and mention that you’re still working and working at becoming even better at this skill set.

So for example, if someone said, “What’s your biggest weakness?” you could answer:

“Well, I used to be pretty horrible at public speaking. When I started college, it was a massive problem, and I was just terrified of doing it, and I didn’t do a very good job. So first I took the small step of promising myself that I would speak up in front of really small groups, for example in class. Then, I worked up to taking a public speaking class, which made a big difference. Now, even though I get nervous, I feel like its something that doesn’t completely hold me back, and, in fact, recently I gave a speech at a conference to over 100 people. My hands were shaking the whole time, but I got really good feedback at the end.”

See, that wasn’t so bad. Now just make sure you don’t say something like, “I’m too perfect,” or “I struggle with perfectionism,” because nobody really believes that is your biggest weakness.

https://www.themuse.com/advice/the-best-way-to-answer-whats-your-biggest-weakness

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Best Way To Answer "What's Your Biggest Weakness?" by Truth24(m): 6:14am On Apr 29, 2015
my
Re: The Best Way To Answer "What's Your Biggest Weakness?" by Jennydoris(f): 8:40am On Apr 29, 2015
Nice tips...
Mine is talking in the midst of people or rather associating with people...
But then studying communication is really bringing me out from my shell.....

(1) (Reply)

6 Secrets Most Successful People Know But Will Never Tell You / 10 Baby Steps To Be Calm Under Pressure In School (and At Work) / any ICSAN professional in the house?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.