Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,901 members, 7,802,920 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:18 AM

GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences (4944 Views)

Queues At The ATM & Banking Hall: Share Your Experiences/Pics / Why You Should Stop Sports Betting & Gambling / Coping With Gambling Addiction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by opendo21(m): 8:35am On Apr 29, 2015
Oh ye football pundits and gamblers. Nairabet pundits. Bet9ja experts, 1960 plaudits. Come share your experience here.
Let me start by sharing my story.
I once read somewhere that the expected payout of a gambler in the long run was Zero.
But I believed it wa pure economic theory without practical justification.
I started gambling about 2 years ago when a friend introduced me to it. We would go to the cafe and bet with as little as 100 naira. I was loosing quite all right, but I had my days. There were days I would make like 4500, 5000 and I even made about 35000 once while placing a 200 naira bet. I was on a roll, every betting club in my area knew me. I was getting more than I was giving out. My friend on the other hand, never won, except for 2 occasions where I selected the games and he just played, but on most days I would share my winnings with him. I really didn't need the money. To me it was pure fun and I was enjoying it.
Fast forward to 6 months after, I had a good job but I still played on weekends.
Then another friend introduced me to a different level of gambling. Low odds, high stakes.

At first I was scared, but when he showed me his profile I was impressed. He used to build the money gradually from around 20k to around 200k in a few days. That's how I started investing heavily in it.
I could stake as high as 30k on a few matches. It actually worked in the beginning, but gradually the greed set in.
My lifestyle changed completely, it was all I ever thought about, "Making Money" I thought. I started drinking, and doing all other illicit stuff. I mean this is Free Money.
Even when I lost I was always telling myself that I would make the money back (The Gambler's hole) and so I would stake higher and higher. I started borrowing money to gamble, all these while telling myself that I would strategize and plan better. But I kept on loosing.
My heart would race faster, my professional life was also being affected. I even once thought of quitting my job so I could focus more on the gambling business.
I formed an alliance with fellow gamblers. We would share tips and plan, but I was still loosing. Not that we weren't winning a few times but we would stake almost everything and make a mistake even when we were taking the lowest risk possible. I mean, how hard is it to select 5 games where 3 goals won't be scored in the 1st half. Not bad until you try it.
I knew I was addicted, but I didn't care. It was all about the money for me, I mean I didn't even have a girlfriend so very few responsibilities.
Then the inevitable happened. I gambled away all my salary before the end of the 1st week and it was all gone. I couldn't believe myself. How did I get to this level. I called my fellow gamblers and a few of them were in similar situation. How I survived till the end of the month is still a mystery ? I was already in debt, so no way to borrow more. It was at this point I knew I was done. My BP was over 130 from the way my heart sounded. I could almost hear every heart beat. A fellow gambler told me he had deactivated his account. I was so weak I couldn't even do it myself. So I asked him to do it for me.
That's when I decided to start my life back on a new slate and I hope i'm happy for it.
If I were to estimate my total losses it would well be over half a million.
Gambling Breeds Greed and Greed is Evil.
So guys share your experience.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by Demlad99(m): 8:40am On Apr 29, 2015
Lmao. I played football betting only for a while.

But i quickly discovered it wasn't my way, so i quitted before I suffered any major damage.

2 Likes

Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by marshalcarter: 8:41am On Apr 29, 2015
Lolzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Wasn't 1 nd would never be tongue
Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by SuperSuave(m): 8:47am On Apr 29, 2015
grin I like threads like this. I dey come. But wait o! Should this be in this section? undecided
Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by Nobody: 9:19am On Apr 29, 2015
hw i used my waec money to gamble and ended up beggin for money to register neco

1 Like

Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by opendo21(m): 10:37am On Apr 29, 2015
SuperSuave:
grin I like threads like this. I dey come. But wait o! Should this be in this section? undecided
Really didn't know which section to post it to.
Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by UncleJudax(m): 10:47am On Apr 29, 2015
[quote author=SuperSuave post=33225224]grin I like threads like this. I dey come. But wait o! Should this be in this section? undecided[/quot
Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by UncleJudax(m): 10:48am On Apr 29, 2015
SuperSuave:
Ain't gambling a job...opportunity? lipsrsealed
Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by ednut1(m): 11:00am On Apr 29, 2015
how is this related to job/vacancy
Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by manofluck: 1:08pm On Apr 29, 2015
OP, we re both on d same train, I've lost huge amount of money on football betting, but not close 2 d amount u mention above. I started gambling immedialtly after my nysc since no job was available I presumed gambling could make me rich over nyt.I started betting with N500 with 2000 odds 2 hit millions, at d end one or two game wld Bleep me up. I was not betting just for fun, I was betting 2 make money nd change my life through gambling.since I was not winning anything, instead I was contributing 500-1000 almost everyday 2 bookmakers I decided 2 to take a leave. One day my friend won 250k, I was surprise hw he manage 2 do it. I was inspired again nd convince myself dat one day my luck 'll shine, I started betting again and continue 2 lose.I got 2 stage where I was so broke dat I can't afford 2 buy airtime, I always look so angry nd disturbed. I now understand dat gambling is evil nd can never be an alternative 2 earn income. D irony is dat I still love betting nd wish 2 continue

1 Like

Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by siegfried99(m): 1:27pm On Apr 29, 2015
#THIS LAND IS NOT FOR SALE#
Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by akinalabi(m): 3:25pm On Apr 29, 2015
As a founder of a sports betting business, let me say this. . . AGAIN.

Betting on sports is for entertainment and it is not a business opportunity. I know I will lose customers for saying this but I will prefer to say the truth rather than lead someone on.

IT IS NOT A BUSINESS.

See it this way. . .

Mr A has N1,000 and he goes to watch a movie

Mr B has N1,000 and he goes to have a beer

Mr C has N1,000 and he decides to go to NairaBET. If he wins, its a bonus. If he doesnt, the adventure and maybe the adrenaline is the entertainment that cost him N1,000

At the end of the day, none of the three guys went back home with anything.

Don't bet trying to get rich. Chances are that you WILL NOT. A few have struck gold but its all luck.

Bet for fun. . .

Play with only what you can afford to "dash" someone. Too much of everything is bad. If you bet with all your salary, its bad. If you drink with all your salary, its bad. If you even buy clothes with all your salary it is financial recklessness and that is bad.

Do everything with caution.

opendo21:
To me it was pure fun and I was enjoying it.

You should have kept it as just for fun. Most people keep it that way and they are happy.

I still bet myself. I have accounts in other bookies and I still bet. When abroad, I chill a lot in Ladbrokes or William Hill. But I keep my bets limited to what I can afford to lose.

manofluck:
I was not betting just for fun, I was betting 2 make money nd change my life through gambling.

WRONG! WRONG!! WRONG!!!

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by juwoonn(m): 7:51pm On Apr 29, 2015
akinalabi:

Betting on sports is for entertainment and it is not a business opportunity. I know I will lose customers for saying this but I will prefer to say the truth rather than lead someone on.

IT IS NOT A BUSINESS.

See it this way. . .

Mr C has N1,000 and he decides to go to NairaBET. If he wins, its a bonus. If he doesnt, the adventure and maybe the adrenaline is the entertainment that cost him N1,000

Don't bet trying to get rich. Chances are that you WILL NOT. A few have struck gold but its all luck.

Bet for fun. . .

Play with only what you can afford to "dash" someone. Too much of everything is bad. If you bet with all your salary, its bad. If you drink with all your salary, its bad. If you even buy clothes with all your salary it is financial recklessness and that is bad.

You should have kept it as just for fun. Most people keep it that way and they are happy.

I still bet myself. I have accounts in other bookies and I still bet. When abroad, I chill a lot in Ladbrokes or William Hill. But I keep my bets limited to what I can afford to lose.

WRONG! WRONG!! WRONG!!!
D Boss...
You're a good man.. I'm very sure other bookies won't be kind enough to give this kind of advise.
Jeunlo baba but don't 4get ur boi oo!

4 Likes

Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by juwoonn(m): 9:05pm On Apr 29, 2015
Wrong section; lalasticlala pls help move dis to d business section
Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by udemzyudex(m): 9:43pm On Apr 29, 2015
Lol.... Two things change my mindset.
1. A book " The richest man in babylon"
There is a chapter in that book,that really talks about gambling. You can get a copy and read it.

2. I remember the day mr Akinalabi said punters should bet for fun,i was like huh? If the owner of a book maker could say this what else do i want to hear,this happen early last year or late last 2yrs..

Now i only bet when i have extra money to spend, i don't see it as a do or die thing..

I bet for fun.....

3 Likes

Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by opendo21(m): 3:59am On Apr 30, 2015
akinalabi:

IT IS NOT A BUSINESS.

See it this way. . .

Bet for fun. . .

WRONG! WRONG!! WRONG!!!

Sir, I understand your point. How I graduated to this level is still beyond me. Maybe. Because I was doing all transactions electronically, so the figures didn't look big.
Thanks all the same.

4 Likes

Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by ultrazone(m): 6:34am On Apr 30, 2015
ssdd
Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by twentyk(m): 8:02am On Apr 30, 2015
Gambling Gambling Gambling....
Omo I hear am Gan from Gambling.....like the other poster said I thought of it as a shortcut to escape my financial situation as am a student and I never had enough...at first it was merry go round I was winning with little money say 200,500 etc...Greed set in and I started playing big I figured if I can get just 2 odd then that's double anything I staked.....Omo that's when I understand that sometimes or mos times things don't go as planned....I lost a lot(understatement) I LOST BIG TIME....I have lost 30 grand on a single game before....being a Nigerian student ain't easy,lack of fund etc but when I calculated all I had lost from my different betting accounts then I knew something was wrong somewhere...I would get depressed,loose sleep,waste time,hope and sometimes pray and at the end of the day one stupid team would cast me......then I feel bad afterwards,more depressed more disoriented.....though am not yet free from its shackles and I pray I do immediately...... play what you can afford to lose or don't play at all....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by bedfordng(m): 8:35am On Apr 30, 2015
i always say this whenever i share tips on my site that online betting should be for fun and also consider the money lost already even before staking.this way you will not be panic and be checking livescore like your life depends on it.the rate at which i see peoe check livescore giving themself high blood pressure.some people will even be refreshing it every 5 seconds.that is not the way to see betting.betting should be fun and stake what you can afford to lose. After reading this post i just made, your thinking on betting/gambling will change, so read via www.newtobetting.com/2015/04/gambling-addiction-you-can-free.html
Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by bedfordng(m): 8:43am On Apr 30, 2015
akinalabi:

IT IS NOT A BUSINESS.

See it this way. . .

Bet for fun. . .

WRONG! WRONG!! WRONG!!!
most people see it as means of livelihood which is wrong.you can't use betting as source of livelihood because it will give you high blood pressure.why would anyone even see betting as source of livelihood.it is for fun.if you can afford to buy one shirt for 1k and you won't feel anything, then why would you feel same when you stake 1k on betting ones in a while. You've just made a point. online betting should be for fun and also consider the money lost already even before staking.this way you will not be panic and be checking livescore like your life depends on it. so read via www.newtobetting.com/2015/04/gambling-addiction-you-can-free.html
Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by cybug: 9:01am On Apr 30, 2015
There's a spirit in gambling... Try as much as you can to desist from it.

Modified: This na front page material.

Cc: lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by HighRoll: 9:09am On Apr 30, 2015
Gambling isn't a real business. Seeing so many people engage in it doesn't mean it would make you rich. It's like the gold rush. Very very few would ever make it.

Look at my username, i used to gamble too sometime ago, and am not N200 wagers, N5000, N10,000. I played singles or at most doubles, used to win at first but later lost everything. Now i am back on my feet, i know how it feels to lose your money, you don't have to put yourself through all that again. Gambling is no online business, its just a way to be broke and wretched.

If you want to start a real business online. Visit the link on my signature. This is real. I have helped tens of people i can help you too.

5 Likes

Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by naijacutee(f): 12:38pm On Apr 30, 2015
Thank you for being so open and honest.
Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by jakeng(m): 2:49pm On Apr 30, 2015
akinalabi:

IT IS NOT A BUSINESS.

See it this way. . .

Bet for fun. . .

WRONG! WRONG!! WRONG!!!

Thanks boss for this response.

Meanwhile, I intend to be a nairabet agent, what are the requirements and the capital needed to start-up pls?

Thank you
Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by jonescyras(m): 3:04pm On Apr 30, 2015
akinalabi:

IT IS NOT A BUSINESS.

See it this way. . .

Bet for fun. . .

WRONG! WRONG!! WRONG!!!
you made a good point..betting shouldnt be seen as a get rich over night sceme... Last 2weeks i staked 2000 and won 12,000, lastweek ,i staked 2k and won 5k5.. From sunday till date, i have lost about 7k to betting in the aim of winnin. I just came to my senses that 'ones mother's soup can never be delicious everyday'.. Good and bad make the universe... betting is cool for the wise. guess what?, i'll not stake untill 2 weeks time.
Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by Lordtrillion(m): 10:53pm On Apr 30, 2015
Hahaha, lolzz. Wetin gambling don do me 4 Dis life, lemme just reserve my comment sha. I really thank GOD for his saving grace. Old things are past away, all things have become new. Thank GOD I've finally stopped & can now see a better picture of my future. I believe its just a matter of time b4 my name will be heard Nationwide & Worldwide. Its better late than never, Dont chase after your past loss. Quit gambling today because in the long run, you will regret it. Its an endless circle of bondage. U continue going round with no starting or ending point.
The money i lost gambling on Card(whot whot) & nairabet made me learn how not to be foolish in the hard way. Funny enough, I usually complained back then that I don't have money but when I totalled my loss on both platforms especially Nairabet, that was when I knew I was rich. It so limited me that I saw no future outside gambling. As a student 80% of my funds were for gambling & d remaining 20% was what I used to survive the tight condition @ school. I Thank GOD I didn't lose all because Ironically, it made me a better manager of money & a better risk taker Knowing fully well I could survive with such meager funds in school. Today, I've transferred that strong passion & belief of doubling my cash through gambling to my business & I can wisely & safely invest that 80% of my funds in a more profitable business venture. Why i'm saying this is because of some people who are still contemplating on whether to stop gambling or not because of the huge amount of money they've lost. Pick yourself up from that gutter & ditch u found yourself in.There's still hope for u. I stopped 31st December 2013 precisely & I have been living a more better & comfortable life since then. You can learn a lot from the mistake of your gambling past & forge ahead for a better future. Forget about your loss, you will recover it in no time provided you're ready to start all over again.
For my other pals who are not yet ready to stop, a beg oh, don't use this as an excuse not to quit. Prevention is better than cure. Lol.
GOD bless Nigeria, GOD bless Nairaland, GOD bless Lordtrillion & GOD bless you. cool

4 Likes

Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by cybug: 11:33pm On Apr 30, 2015
^^ 1000 likes cool
Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by siegfried99(m): 11:36pm On Apr 30, 2015
akinalabi:

IT IS NOT A BUSINESS.

See it this way. . .

Bet for fun. . .

WRONG! WRONG!! WRONG!!!

How can I become an agent sir.?

Seriously looking forward to ur reply sir grin
Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by arbitrage: 12:45am On May 01, 2015
Have you all heard of the word arbitrage?
Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by needinfo: 12:53pm On May 01, 2015
akinalabi:

IT IS NOT A BUSINESS.

See it this way. . .

Bet for fun. . .

WRONG! WRONG!! WRONG!!!
even if its hard for bet site owners to admit, you have made it open.its nice telling the truth, on like others.

Will also want to bring to your notice about your affiliate program. I have not yet gotten my commission credited to my account for the month of april.guess its an error which i believe it will be resolved soon because i thought it was suppose to reflect on my account during 12am immediately the month of april ended.please you guys can check it out and see the error.
Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by dennismukoro(m): 10:36am On May 02, 2015
[quote author=akinalabi post=33238530]As a founder of a sports betting business, let me say this. . . AGAIN.

IT IS NOT A BUSINESS.

See it this way. . .

Bet for fun. . .

Play with only what you can afford to "dash" someone. Too much of everything is bad.THE BIGEST RIPK IN LIFE IS WHEN ONE U DNT TAKE THE RISK. DO U THINK AM HAPPY IF I LOOSE MY PENNY.
Re: GAMBLING ADDICTION- Share Your Experiences by PuntGenius: 7:22am On Jul 09, 2015
[quote author=akinalabi post=33238530]As a founder of a sports betting business, let me say this. . . AGAIN.

IT IS NOT A BUSINESS.

See it this way. . .

Bet for fun. . .

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

NNPC To Build More Depots, Expand Market Share / Help!, Need Solution On How To Delaminate My Documents / Introducing The Gtbank Prepaid Dollar Cards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.