Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,760 members, 7,806,082 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:10 AM

Please Guys What Better Algorithm To Solve This Common Task Of Trending Posts? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Please Guys What Better Algorithm To Solve This Common Task Of Trending Posts? (832 Views)

Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. / Write An Algorithm To Add N Binary Numbers / Help Out With Algorithm To Add Multiple Numbers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Guys What Better Algorithm To Solve This Common Task Of Trending Posts? by JackOfAllTrades: 1:37pm On Apr 29, 2015
My question simply is what criteria does a post or topics needs to meet to consider it as "trending"?

my friend suggested we add up the likes, comments, and views in the last 24 hours, the post with the highest comes first.

please guys what are your thoughts
Re: Please Guys What Better Algorithm To Solve This Common Task Of Trending Posts? by Nobody: 10:30pm On Apr 29, 2015
Could be the amount of views within a short time, that could predict a topic of interest, it could compare the jump

e.g Topic A at 1:30 had 20 views and 10 minutes later had 100 views and continuously once it reaches a large number it picks it up. because i noticed my topic hit FP however it depends on the quality of the topic because i wrote a real lot because i wanted to share with others.
Re: Please Guys What Better Algorithm To Solve This Common Task Of Trending Posts? by JackOfAllTrades: 10:57pm On Apr 29, 2015
so you suggesting that a topic should be considered trending, if within a short period of time it gains so much activities(i.e views, likes etc) even though another topic that was posted along side it gained much more activities but with a slower growth rate than the first
Re: Please Guys What Better Algorithm To Solve This Common Task Of Trending Posts? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Apr 29, 2015
sorry i thought you were asking how topic gets picked for trending didn't know it was to profer a solution.
Re: Please Guys What Better Algorithm To Solve This Common Task Of Trending Posts? by AAinEqGuinea: 3:55am On Apr 30, 2015
pcguru1:

e.g Topic A at 1:30 had 20 views and 10 minutes later had 100 views and continuously once it reaches a large number it picks it up. because i noticed my topic hit FP however it depends on the quality of the topic because i wrote a real lot because i wanted to share with others.

Your scenario could be a good basis for "trendy" topics, perhaps exponentially valuing each share/quote as well.

You're also right in that I think mods ultimately decide what's FP worthy.

(1) (Reply)

Please Help Me Write This Simple Php Switch Statement / Do You Know You Can Now Locate Your Lost Phone Using Google Search? / Android Mobile Application Development, Website Design Development And Email Mar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.