Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,115 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:48 PM

Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? (19919 Views)

Iheanacho Becomes Most Expensive Nigerian Player After Man City Accept £24m Bid / Precious Orji Weds Kelechi Moses In Owerri (Photos) / Yaya Toure Leaves Kelechi Iheanacho In An Imbroglio Over Man Of The Match Mixup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? by safarigirl(f): 11:11pm On Apr 29, 2015
We all know Iheanacho, the little boy wonder from the Nigerian U-17 team touted to be the next Okocha.

We watched him play as an AM under Manu Garba but after moving to Manchester City, the coaches there seem to think he's better as a striker and have been playing him in that role.

Mw thinks Iheanacho was made to be a number 10, he's good on the ball, his passes are accurate, he dribbles well and best of all, he knows where the net is when in a position to score and isn't afraid to send it in.

He's most suitable there because as we all know, the Nigerian team is in need of someone who can feed the strikers and also score goals and playing him as a striker will limit his abilities. He's not a front-man.many Garba knows why he delegated the AM role to the kid after seeing him play and I trust his judgment more than I do that of the Man City coaches who could only be using the kid because they need a striker.

I like to think of Iheanacho in a James Rodriguez role, giving as much assists as goals....as a striker, he could become just another Suarez, but his full potential lies in the midfield.

What do you think?

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? by Nobody: 11:14pm On Apr 29, 2015

5 Likes

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? by safarigirl(f): 11:17pm On Apr 29, 2015
jacksparrow1207:
www.google.com
bros,shey you know commenting is voluntary?

26 Likes

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Apr 29, 2015
safarigirl:
bros,shey you know commenting is voluntary?

Aunts, yes I do know. Hence my voluntary comment

13 Likes

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? by samueld0(m): 11:32pm On Apr 29, 2015
I thought this girl is a xEnophobia SouthAfrican please hide your face in shame and don't middle yourselfe in anything concerning Nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? by GIYAZZ(m): 11:37pm On Apr 29, 2015
I think he's better of a striker. The AM role could easily make him a Mikel in the future. You know how these things be?

Meanwhile, Safarigirl I wanna ask you a question. Give me that green light by replying this post and I'd ask. But If you don't wanna, no probs.
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? by safarigirl(f): 11:38pm On Apr 29, 2015
samueld0:
I thought this girl is a xEnophobia SouthAfrican please hide your face in shame and don't middle yourselfe in anything concerning Nigeria
you obviously don't know me. When did you join NL sef?

Go and read all my posts and find where i've even remotely been pro-SA.....you just wan talk, notice me

Mtchew, so na just last month you register.....attention-seeking newbies. You haven't stayed long enough to know anyone

17 Likes

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? by safarigirl(f): 11:39pm On Apr 29, 2015
GIYAZZ:
I think he's better of a striker. The AM role could easily make him a Mikel in the future. You know how these things be?

Meanwhile, Safarigirl I wanna ask you a question. Give me that green light by replying this post and I'd ask. But If you don't wanna, no probs.
the striker role will limit him cuz then he won't be able to create chances which is his original talent.

Ask away

3 Likes

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? by Alezy(m): 11:40pm On Apr 29, 2015
safarigirl:

Go and read all my posts and find where i've even remotely been pro-SA.....you just wan talk, notice me
lolz

1 Like

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? by samueld0(m): 11:43pm On Apr 29, 2015
safarigirl:

My Apology thought you are a southafrican
You just jegalised my Orubebe

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? by GIYAZZ(m): 11:45pm On Apr 29, 2015
safarigirl:
the striker role will limit him cuz then he won't be able to create chances which is his original talent.

Ask away
He could use this striker role to shine. And if he's clever enough he could create chances with that role without pushing it to the edge.

Can I ask you the question elsewhere? Somewhere like my lodge on here? Cos I think this question might come off as derailing.
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? by safarigirl(f): 12:15am On Apr 30, 2015
GIYAZZ:
He could use this striker role to shine. And if he's clever enough he could create chances with that role without pushing it to the edge.

Can I ask you the question elsewhere? Somewhere like my lodge on here? Cos I think this question might come off as derailing.
no p sha....just mention me there
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:01am On Apr 30, 2015
We already have brilliant midfielders who can create for the Flying Eagles. Yahaya for instance, is brilliant and he is in a youth team that has produced great players in recent years like Harry Kane, Mason, Dier etc.

In the National team, we have a fantastic creative midfielder, Sone Aluko.

I say the Nigerian Coaches should join the Manchester City coaches in their ambition to make Nacho the best striker in the World.

"When The Manchester City Coaches are done with Iheanacho, they will make a Messi out of him."

11 Likes

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? by tuffgongjo(m): 7:26am On Apr 30, 2015
He Can play both role effectively$that's a plus for the team.

1 Like

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? by Nobody: 8:09am On Apr 30, 2015
Iheanacho is way too composed a player in front of goal to be a midfielder. His composure in front of Goal is his strong-suit aside his adroit strikes and that's what legendary strikers like Henry, Eto' even messi had and have that set them apart from others.
Play Nacho in front of Goal and watch him net myriad of goals like waterfall, like messi.

With regards to the U-20 team
I do not feign blind eyes to the hard karnel fact that the competition is bound to be fiercely stiff for him in the U-20 team as he's got awoniyi, isaac success et al to contend with for the number 9 shirt. But given the gifted player he is, he just might run ring over them in the last resort. Manu could in the interim, being the deft coach he is, grant Nacho a free role like Barca usually grant messi since Awoniyi has got such fire in his bones at the moment to be kept on the bench. Isaac success ditto.

There's this fear of trading off his passing and dribbling ability for his proficient goal scoring ability. we shouldn't be fazed about that. Nacho could still prestinely combine all three abilities being a striker. We have seen skillful as well good passing strikers in time gone by who could adroitly find the back of the net. D. Ronaldo of Brasil comes to mind. Messi is another case in point. Nacho could turn out, quite evidently, to be among such rare breed of strikers.

There is also the fear of his role-change bringing about a dearth of drive in the midfield of the U-20 team. i roundly don't think that is any incubus. Giving Nacho a striking role would have no stunting effect on the drive of the U-20 midfield. Yes, he is a very good passer and dribbler. But there are better passers and dribbler in the team -Musa Yahaya, ifeanyi Ifeanyi, nwobodo, bulbwa et al who can saddle that in his absence in the midfield.

It is my personal conjecture Nacho would make a better striker than a midfielder given his prolific scoring abilities and his brilliant composure in front of goal.

This doesn't derogate from the fact that he could still make a very nifty midfielder. But employing the comparative cost advantage principle, he would be better off a striker than a midfielder.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? by Krasid(m): 10:20am On Apr 30, 2015
TheGoodJoe:
We already have brilliant midfielders who can create for the Flying Eagles. Yahaya for instance, is brilliant and he is in a youth team that has produced great players in recent years like Harry Kane, Mason, Dier etc.

In the National team, we have a fantastic creative midfielder, Sone Aluko.

I say the Nigerian Coaches should join the Manchester City coaches in their ambition to make Nacho the best striker in the World.

"When The Manchester City Coaches are done with Iheanacho, they will make a Messi out of him."
But even Messi drops deep to create for other Barca players.This is one of the reasons why he is one of the best ever.Iheanacho finished the last U-17 as the best player not just because of his goals, but because of his creativity also(i think he ended up with 7 assists).Don't you think he will lose his creativity if he is made just a striker?

7 Likes

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? by Krasid(m): 10:31am On Apr 30, 2015
Epaul:
Iheanacho is way too composed a player in front of goal to be a midfielder. His composure in front of Goal is his strong-suit aside his adroit strikes and that's what legendary strikers like Henry, Eto' even messi had and have that set them apart from others.
Play Nacho in front of Goal and watch him net myriad of goals like waterfall, like messi.
Like safarigirl said, he can play in an advanced midfield role like James rodriguez, score goals and still retain his creativity.Remember James Rodriguez finished as the top scorer of the last world cup in an advanced midfield role despite the presence of top quality strikers in various teams.

5 Likes

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? by jobsat34(m): 11:07am On Apr 30, 2015
safarigirl:

What do you think?

i think we should just wait till after the world cup (provided he make the final cut)...

however, i dont think Nacho prowess in front of goal shud take precedence over other attribute which i think he has "comparative advantage" over others in his age group... he has succesful dribbling accuracy rate than our own neymar (yahyah), pass completion rate better than nwakali and nwobodo combine, even idowu cant boast of better completion rate..

lets take a look at his goal scoring ability, is he more clinical than Awoniyi or Success..? if as a striker, can he play as a lone man striker like those 2?
against a team that park the bus, the job of a lone man striker is to hold up play to bring in other players, so can Nacho hold up play better than those 2?... so if you are looking at his composure in front of goal while neglecting other attribute of a complete striker, then you are misleading this young lad...

if i were to be his coach, i will put him in position where he has comparative advantage ahead of other players, which is free role in the attacking trio behind the striker..

checkuot Patrick Bamford on whoscore.com and see why he will never be a use as a lone man striker... he is just a striking resemblance of our own Nacho...

cc: thegoodjoe, giyazz, epaul

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:40am On Apr 30, 2015
jobsat34:

i think we should just wait till after the world cup (provided he make the final cut)...

however, i dont think Nacho prowess in front of goal shud take precedence over other attribute which i think he has "comparative advantage" over others in his age group... he has succesful dribbling accuracy rate than our own neymar (yahyah), pass completion rate better than nwakali and nwobodo combine, even idowu cant boast of better completion rate..

lets take a look at his goal scoring ability, is he more clinical than Awoniyi or Success..? if as a striker, can he play as a lone man striker like those 2?
against a team that park the bus, the job of a lone man striker is to hold up play to bring in other players, so can Nacho hold up play better than those 2?... so if you are looking at his composure in front of goal while neglecting other attribute of a complete striker, then you are misleading this young lad...

if i were to be his coach, i will put him in position where he has comparative advantage ahead of other players, which is free role in the attacking trio behind the striker..

checkuot Patrick Bamford on whoscore.com and see why he will never be a use as a lone man striker... he is just a striking resemblance of our own Nacho...

Man City Coaches have pointed Nacho as a super hitman. He was the best player during the Man City preseason games as a striker. Nacho can play as a lone man upfront. He is getting professional training on that.

Note, when Tata Martino camped his Argentine team at Man City's Etihad Campus, he picked Nacho as one of the players to train with the Argentine team. Tata picking Nacho, was as a striker. That will tell you how top quality Nacho is.

No one denies how brilliant Nacho is as a midfielder. But professionals have identified him as a super finisher.

Aguero also had these qualities as a creative midfielder but he turned out a Super finisher.

7 Likes

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:44am On Apr 30, 2015
Krasid:
But even Messi drops deep to create for other Barca players.This is one of the reasons why he is one of the best ever.Iheanacho finished the last U-17 as the best player not just because of his goals, but because of his creativity also(i think he ended up with 7 assists).Don't you think he will lose his creativity if he is made just a striker?

At Manchester City, Aguero drops deep to create for his team mates. If you watch the Man City preseason games, Nacho did that too.

Playing Nacho as a striker will not kill his creative instincts. Look at Wayne Rooney when he leads the attack for Van Gaal.

2 Likes

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? by GIYAZZ(m): 3:19pm On Apr 30, 2015
jobsat34:

Lalasticlala
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? by MrNL(m): 3:34pm On Apr 30, 2015
king
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? by ClassyAdewumi(m): 3:36pm On Apr 30, 2015
Striking Attacking Midfielder

4 Likes

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? by Matttthew(m): 3:37pm On Apr 30, 2015
I no?

E supos go join Super Eagles.....

He worth it

Make dem replace am with Mikel

#AgeChangingTinx
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? by kekeerin: 3:37pm On Apr 30, 2015
midfielder
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? by hensben(m): 3:39pm On Apr 30, 2015
safarigirl:

Mtchew, so na just last month you register.....attention-seeking newbies. You haven't stayed long enough to know anyone
grin
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? by Tval(m): 3:39pm On Apr 30, 2015
There are so many talents out there. Ihenacho has the potential to be one of the best, but you guys need to stop all these hype.

3 Likes

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? by Donpizzle(m): 3:39pm On Apr 30, 2015
safarigirl:
We all know Iheanacho, the little boy wonder from the Nigerian U-17 team touted to be the next Okocha.

We watched him play as an AM under Manu Garba but after moving to Manchester City, the coaches there seem to think he's better as a striker and have been playing him in that role.

Mw thinks Iheanacho was made to be a number 10, he's good on the ball, his passes are accurate, he dribbles well and best of all, he knows where the net is when in a position to score and isn't afraid to send it in.

He's most suitable there because as we all know, the Nigerian team is in need of someone who can feed the strikers and also score goals and playing him as a striker will limit his abilities. He's not a front-man.many Garba knows why he delegated the AM role to the kid after seeing him play and I trust his judgment more than I do that of the Man City coaches who could only be using the kid because they need a striker.

I like to think of Iheanacho in a James Rodriguez role, giving as much assists as goals....as a striker, he could become just another Suarez, but his full potential lies in the midfield.

What do you think?

U may hv to ask iheanacho
Re: Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? by demmy0325(m): 3:41pm On Apr 30, 2015

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Neymar Scores In Brazil 2-2 Colombia Draw In First Match Since Injury(Photos) / Pastor Adjusts Church Programme Time Over Super Eagles Vs Argentina Match / Umar Sadiq Celebrates 25th Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.