Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,699 members, 7,802,068 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:39 AM

Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? (33777 Views)

Bishop Oyedepo Says Ladies Attitude Today Is Why Marriages Are Failing Much. / Why Do Married Folk See A Pastor For Every Little Disagreement? / Pentecostal Pastors Are Satanic Agents - True worshipers Be Very Careful! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by ymi1(f): 6:01pm On Oct 13, 2005
I know its not just me. If everyone is sincere, it happens to 4 of every 10 males or females.

Whats this big deal about Catholics marrying Pentecostals or Pentecostal marrying Catholics?

Can someone make me see reason why i shdnt marry the love of mi life just because he is catholic.
Am already 31 and still single. All the pentecostal brothers aint coming to me even though am sincere in my service to God. Now i have someone i truely love and who loves me too and people are givin me the "y catholic" look.

Wetin I go do, abeg? cry
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by WesleyanA(f): 7:50am On Oct 14, 2005
convert to catholicism and dump the pentecostal church  cool as long as you worship the same God and you love each other.
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by nferyn(m): 8:18am On Oct 14, 2005
y mi?:

I know its not just me, If everyone is sincere, it happens to 4 of every 10 male or female.

Whats this big deal about catholics marrying pentecostals or pentecostal marrying catholics?

Can someone make me see reason why i shdnt marry the love of mi life just because he is catholic.
Am already 31 and still single. All the pentecostal brothers aint coming to me even though am sincere in my service to God. Now i have someone i truely love and who loves me too and people are givin me the "y catholic" look.

Wetin I go do, abeg? cry

Never let any of these pety differences of doctrine get in the way of true love. Never

My wife used to go to a pentecostal church when she was in Nigeria. Now she goes to a non denominational African church (mostly Nigerian) in Brussels. I myself do not believe and we get along very well. We've been married for more than seven years now. Still going strong. If these differences are that important to oyu, than your priorities are all mixed up and you're probably not fit to marry

And for your so called brothers that shun you for this? These bigots are not even worth being your friends

1 Like

Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by EddyTells(m): 9:49am On Oct 14, 2005
Y mi?  Its a real pity girl.

Am not gonna act like its no big deal cos this s***t is tight
First of all, why aint ya hangin with 'em pentecostal brothers.
Why are you going all the way to catholic girl, it aint right.
Stick with the religon u've known except that luv of yours is willing to move over to the Holyspirit filled church.

Who said religion in marriage aint that important?? huhhhh who? Will your catholic sweetheart stand it when you speak in tongues or start goin wild with the anointing of the holyspirit??
okay so tell me. Do Catholics worship Jesus or Mary?

As for me, Penterascal till i die bro................rimashabaraabatusu rumnplefeelleelleel [alittle tongue talking there]
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by EddyTells(m): 9:55am On Oct 14, 2005
By the way, my cousin's mama [catholics] swore that she would never marry a pentecostal chic and she didnt.
I know a catholic dude who said he'd rather die than have some wife running around the house with holyghost fire on her.

so this sh'''''t like i said is tight. They just dont understand
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by nferyn(m): 10:28am On Oct 14, 2005
Eddy Tells:

Y mi? Its a real pity girl.

Am not going to act like its no big deal because this s***t is tight

It's as big a deal as you want it to be. Tolerance goes a long way

Eddy Tells:

First of all, why aint ya hangin with 'em pentecostal brothers.
Why are you going all the way to catholic girl, it aint right.
Stick with the religon u've known except that love of yours is willing to move over to the Holyspirit filled church.

Why?

Eddy Tells:

Who said religion in marriage aint that important?? huhhhh who? Will your catholic sweetheart stand it when you speak in tongues or start goin wild with the anointing of the holyspirit??
okay so tell me. Do Catholics worship Jesus or Mary?

Again it's as important as you want it to be. You'd better look at the roots, messages and morality of your religion than at the exact way they want to express themselves. It's what's in your hear that's important

Eddy Tells:

As for me, Penterascal till i die bro................rimashabaraabatusu rumnplefeelleelleel [alittle tongue talking there]

Speaking in tongues is a specif neuroligical condition that is usually caused by intense concentration and can be induced by fasting (which changes the chemical balance in your brain)

here's a little joke to lighten up this chanrged subject:

A man is walking across a bridge, when he sees another guy about to jump off.
"Hey, man" he says, "you don't have to do that."
"Why not?" the other guy says, "I've got nothing to live for. I lost my job, I'm bankrupt, my wife left me and took the kids, my car threw a rod, and my dog just died. My life totally sucks."
"But God still loves you," the man says, "you believe in God, don't you?"
"Well, I guess so," the guy says.
"Tell me, are you a Christian?"
"Yes" the guy answers.
"Well, so am I!" the man says. "Catholic or Protestant?"
"I'm Protestant"
"Well, so am I!" "Methodist, or Baptist, or Presbyterian?"
"I'm Baptist."
Well, so am I!" "Northern or Southern Baptist?"
"Northern Baptist."
"Well so am I!" "Northern fundamentalist, liberal, or reformed?"
"Northern fundamentalist."
"Well, so am I!" "Northern fundamentalist eastern region, or Great Lakes region?"
"Northern fundamentalist, eastern region."
"Well, so am I!" "Northern fundamentalist, eastern region conference of 1898, or conference of 1912?"
"Northern fundamentalist, eastern region, conference of 1912."
"Die, heretic!" the man says, and pushes him off the bridge.
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by lioness(f): 12:58pm On Oct 14, 2005
Y mi? Are you ready and willing to convert cos if ur not, where do the kids go to on sundays?
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by EddyTells(m): 1:20pm On Oct 14, 2005
Seems like i bit some bad bone in ya.

Y mi should stick with what she knows. And religion does matter. So it didnt matter to you doesnt mean it wont matter in her marriage. Christainity is a way of life, it aint just what you believe in. Its you, everything about you.

We are supposed to transfer what ethics and religious belief we have to our kids or dont you think?
Tolerance..huh tongue how long will you tolerant his Holy Mary incarntations and how long will he tolerant your "fire of the holyghost" Tolerance rolleyes huh. Are you prepared to have your kids having names like St angelo and St whatever? or you wanmt to give them the true hebrew name like Joshua etc. Do you want to have Mother Mary angel status in your house and pray to it in repitition of some bla bla bla You better think Gurl. You may to hang that chain on your neck or wear 'em crucifix rings like thats what makes them righteous.
Can you guys have a discussion about both religions and not end up arguing or quarreling
Catholics say pentecostal are fanatic but now who really is the fanatic
As little and insignificant as it may seem, it does matter.

For you Nferyn.............. that joke of yours, see y its import. That guy shd have waited for a 1898

once again, Pentecostal till i die .[rimagrattata rasturukokumayayayrima grin

1 Like

Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by lioness(f): 2:16pm On Oct 14, 2005
Eddy Tells it as it is

I hear you
tupacpacshkurumakuruwawawa shocked grin
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by nferyn(m): 2:16pm On Oct 14, 2005
Eddy Tells:

Seems like i bit some bad bone in ya.

Y mi should stick with what she knows. And religion does matter. So it didnt matter to you doesnt mean it wont matter in her marriage. Christainity is a way of life, it aint just what you believe in. Its you, everything about you.

Really? I do not define myself by my being not religious. There's more to myself than my belief system. If you define yourself only by the group you belong to, I feel sorry for you. That's tribal to the extreme

And to speak from personal experience: it does not matter for your marriage as long as you both have got your priorities straight.

Eddy Tells:

We are supposed to transfer what ethics and religious belief we have to our kids or don't you think?
Tolerance..huh tongue how long will you tolerant his Holy Mary incarntations and how long will he tolerant your "fire of the holyghost" Tolerance rolleyes huh. Are you prepared to have your kids having names like St angelo and St whatever? or you wanmt to give them the true hebrew name like Joshua etc. Do you want to have Mother Mary angel status in your house and pray to it in repitition of some bla bla bla You better think Gurl. You may to hang that chain on your neck or wear 'em crucifix rings like thats what makes them righteous.

I find this forcing any kind of religion on young children a form of child abuse, their minds are not ready to deal with these issues. Of course you can introduce them to your faith and teach them about it, but it's ultimately to them to make up their minds and choose - at an age they are capable of doing so

And for the rest.. why not, as long as you're not forced into it?

Eddy Tells:

Can you guys have a discussion about both religions and not end up arguing or quarreling
Catholics say pentecostal are fanatic but now who really is the fanatic
As little and insignificant as it may seem, it does matter.

You can have a civilised discussion as long as you're not trying to proselitise and force your views on your partner. A willingness to listen to the other and hear them out is all it takes

And then you can agree to disagree

Eddy Tells:

For you Nferyn.............. that joke of yours, see y its import. That guy should have waited for a 1898

once again, Pentecostal till i die .[rimagrattata rasturukokumayayayrima grin

You really didn't get the joke, did you?
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by nferyn(m): 2:18pm On Oct 14, 2005
lioness:

Y mi? Are you ready and willing to convert because if your not, where do the kids go to on sundays?

Why not alternate every sunday? the more different ideas you children are exposed to the better.
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by mckaycee(m): 2:28pm On Oct 14, 2005
sis, a pity such a thing has come up at this time in your life. You shld know that you are getting married to someone only because both of are in love and not because both of attend the same church. Love should be the main thing in your marriage. It is love that secures your marriage and not the church afterall there are cases where people marry because they attend same church only to realise that they are incompatible. God will guide you.
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by fabian(f): 5:27pm On Oct 14, 2005
Nice joke nferyn! grin
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by esconedge(m): 7:17pm On Oct 14, 2005
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by Scorpio(f): 8:07pm On Oct 14, 2005
@ Eddy tells, i can't believe you would say that in this age n time. y-mi? abeg if you know that you love this guy and he feels exactly the same way about you, you guyz should get married. which one is all this talk about Catholics and ish? i'm a catholic myself, but that won't prevent me from getting married to a moslem or a pentecostal tommorrow. is it not the same God we serve, it's just different wayz of worship that's all. You don't have to go to his church if you don't want to and he dosen't have to be forced to worship at your church.
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by nike4luv(f): 8:21pm On Oct 14, 2005
whats the difference anyway..we all serve God..we believe in God the father son and holy spirit..We have the same beliefs about the same father and we know heaven is our home so whats the difference..gurl..carry go!..
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by Greatpeter(m): 11:03pm On Oct 14, 2005
Eddy has spoken well.

There is much difference between catholic and pentecostal.
Their beliefs are not thesame.

Amos 3:3 says can the two be together except they be agree? (KJV)
If your beliefs aren't thesame, their will be conflict later.
And if there is on what basis are going to resolve that?
the catholic faithful will say this is how it will be done and the pentecostal will say no that's wrong now
you are adding conflict with conflict which equals to conflict square, conflict galore.
Unsettle home is always the bane of such marriages.

My sister y me just exercise patience God has not forgotten you, He will make a way for you.
God might have the best for you bur watching for patience, faithfulness and your faith.
Don't let this ephemeral thing to destroy your future.
If you miss it in marriage, you miss all and heaven will be a mirage.
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by WesleyanA(f): 12:21am On Oct 15, 2005
nferyn:

Why not alternate every sunday? the more different ideas you children are exposed to the better.

i don't agree with this especially if the child(ren) is/are little. you can't bring them up with two contrasting faiths/religions at the same time. it's only going to confuse them or make them think a little bit differently from how you what them to.
(an extreme example) a friend of mine has a christian mom and a muslim dad. he goes to church on sudays and has arabic/islamic classes on saturdays. now he just doesn't care about either.
true the children will be exposed to different ideas but these ideas won't fit together and will only confuse or distort a child's views on religion.
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by nferyn(m): 12:37am On Oct 15, 2005
WesleyanA:

i don't agree with this especially if the child(ren) is/are little. you can't bring them up with two contrasting faiths/religions at the same time. it's only going to confuse them or make them think a little bit differently from how you what them to.
(an extreme example) a friend of mine has a christian mom and a muslim dad. he goes to church on sudays and has arabic/islamic classes on saturdays. now he just doesn't care about either.
true the children will be exposed to different ideas but these ideas won't fit together and will only confuse or distort a child's views on religion.

So you're saying that only propaganda style education, closing off all conflicting info is the way to go?
Maybe it would be better to give the child comparative religion classes and let him/her make up his/her mind when they're intellectually capable of doing so.

Anyway, my wife is taking our children to church on sunday and I teach my son (7) about science (as much as possible) and philosophy (when he will be capable enough to have abstract thought) to the best of my abilities; My daughter is too young to understand any of this yet anyway. I have no problem that my children are exposed to my wife's religion even though I don't share her beliefs.
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by WesleyanA(f): 12:48am On Oct 15, 2005
nferyn:

So you're saying that only propaganda style education, closing off all conflicting info is the way to go?
Maybe it would be better to give the child comparative religion classes and let him/her make up his/her mind when they're intellectually capable of doing so.

yes. at least while they are still young, it's better to close off all conflicting info. when they're old enough (i don't think age 7 or anything around that qualifies a child as being "intelelctually capable".) it's better to create a space for creativity and let their imaginations to run wild while they are still innocent and little. when they get older, philosophical talks and whatnots can come in. i just think that's healthy.
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by nferyn(m): 1:08am On Oct 15, 2005
WesleyanA:

yes. at least while they are still young, it's better to close off all conflicting info. when they're old enough (i don't think age 7 or anything around that qualifies a child as being "intelelctually capable".) it's better to create a space for creativity and let their imaginations to run wild while they are still innocent and little. when they get older, philosophical talks and whatnots can come in. i just think that's healthy.

Fully agree. Sound parenting advice, I admire your insight.
It also varies greatly between children, but in general, they are capable of understanding much more than you would imagine, you only need to break it down to their level, which is much more difficult than it sounds;
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by Scorpio(f): 3:01am On Oct 15, 2005
@ GP, you're sayin now that if you find a lady you love and she happens to be catholic, you won't get married to her just cos both of y'all churches don't agree on the same things?
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by Greatpeter(m): 10:57am On Oct 15, 2005
Provided the lady is ready to drop her beliefs and go for mine.

She has to start going to my church and enroll in the beginner's or believer's class
so as to avoid conflict of beliefs.

Does that answer your question?
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by SirKay3(m): 6:39pm On Oct 15, 2005
Do you believe in God? If yyes, why dont you take it to HIM in prayer for guidance and leading?

God'll see you through
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by Scorpio(f): 6:45pm On Oct 15, 2005
@ GP not really. but it's really weird that there are still guyz that think like you do[religion wise]. she has to start goin to your church and enroll in your beginner classes? wow!
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by Bibi(m): 9:51am On Oct 16, 2005
It is an irony, this thing between Catcholics vs Rest of Christians. I have seen many relationships die midway because of this. I don't know the details, however, I fail to appreciate the intollerance especially of the Catholics at marrying outside their sect.

Anyway, what I will say is that those involved need to be guided by God. God commanded us to worship him, not as Pentecostals or Catholics. Infact, God do not sponsor any sect. What God sponsors is relationship with him through Christ. As long as this relationship is maintained, it doesnt matter if you are Catholic, Presbyterean, Pentecostal, Aladura or whatever. Its about the principle of relationship with God that overrides everything, not sect. So if I'm catholic and my Catcholic church will stop me from marrying a non catcholic, then I will quit that catholic and go to another church and marry, as long as the church worships by the biblical principles.
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by lioness(f): 9:32am On Oct 17, 2005
EDDYY Tellls where @ thou?

Not sleeping i hope rolleyes

Anyway, @ nferyn, i sense in my spirit that your not a religious person and probably dont go to church or even believe so deep in God let alone Christ.
If that is the case, then i can understand where ur coming from.

But Y mi? sound like a religious gurl whose christain ethics/beliefs are important to her. So i think she should carefully consider this prayerfully. Y mi? I wont say u shd drop Mr catholic but I'd askyou to view his personal r/ship with God. How is he as a person commited to God. Gurl u aint marrying Church o. Na the bobo u dey marry and even if u want to go ahead with d marriage, you guys can agree to go to the Catholic charismatic church. Its still catholic but with a pentecostal worship setting. That way everyone is happy.
Sometimes we Shd put this so-called love aside and use our heads awhile, cos love isnt just everything........................................ am out.
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by lioness(f): 9:37am On Oct 17, 2005
@Scopion, you cant marry just anyone okay. If you believe in Jesus, you sure cant marry an erkist cos they dont.
And enough with this talk of we are serve one God but different medium. wetin be dat? So go and marry a shrine princess na, afterall, its still one God. Dont you know its the medium that sets the worship/God and the authority.

Take am easy o.................. dont lemme start church in here now wink
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by nferyn(m): 9:41am On Oct 17, 2005
lioness:

[SNIP]

Anyway, @ nferyn, i sense in my spirit that your not a religious person and probably don't go to church or even believe so deep in God let alone Christ.
If that is the case, then i can understand where your coming from.
[SNIP}

No, but I'm married to a strong christian. And I can speak from personal experience that a loving marriage between even a christian and an atheist is possible, so why wouldn't it be possible between two christians from different denominations? All it takes is respect and putting your priorities right.

And about understanding where I come from... do you? Can you explain?
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by lioness(f): 9:50am On Oct 17, 2005
No, but I'm married to a strong christian. And I can speak from personal experience that a loving marriage between even a christian and an atheist is possible
[/quote]

I guess you just explain your kind of marriage. And again, the fact that your maaried to a "strong christain" does nt make u one or even gives you an insight to what a christain race or challenge is all about. You can only speak from someone else's experience and not yours and thats a big difference.

And about understanding where I come from... do you? Can you explain?[quote][/quo
I'll understand certain statements you made because ur not so religious
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by nferyn(m): 10:02am On Oct 17, 2005
lioness:

I guess you just explain your kind of marriage.
What's that supposed to mean?

lioness:

And again, the fact that your maaried to a "strong christain" does nt make u one or even gives you an insight to what a christain race or challenge is all about. You can only speak from someone else's experience and not yours and thats a big difference.
No, but I can attest to the fact that there is no impediment to succes. And its slightly arrogant (for a lack of better words, I don't mean anything so harsh) to imply that I cannot have any insight in christianity because I'm no christian. Shouldn't one study lions in the wild because you're not a lion yourself. Don't you have anythin meaningful to say becasue your a non-lion. Maybe it even gives you more insight because you have a little more distance

lioness:

I'll understand certain statements you made because your not so religious
Now that's funny.
Do you mean that marriages between atheists and christians have more chance of succeeding than those between christians of different denominations?
Re: Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? by EddyTells(m): 10:10am On Oct 17, 2005
grin fight attack
@ lioness - whats up gurl?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

"N42million Tithe In Benue Is Chicken Feed" - Bishop Kukah / Don't Let Anyone Lie To You That Christmas Is A Pagan Festival / A different View on COZA Sex Scandal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.