Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,963 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:33 AM

Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG (13381 Views)

We Won’t Stop Pipeline Bombing - Niger-Delta Militants / NLC: Buhari Now Captive Of Forces Of Subsidy Removal, Deregulation / EFCC Set To Commence Prosecution Of Subsidy Thieves (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG by SleekyP(m): 7:12am On May 01, 2015
SleekyP:
Despite the billions of naira paid by the federal government to oil marketers, the president of the Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG), Comrade Igwe Achese, has disclosed that scarcity of fuel would persist if the refineries are not put in proper shape.

This comes as the coordinating minister of the economy and minister of finance, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, said yesterday that the federal government had released N156 billion for payment to oil marketers, leaving a balance of N98 billion certified by PPPRA as the amount owed them.

The N156 billion is the latest in a series of significant payments made to the oil marketers within the last five months. These include over N300 billion in two instalments in December last year and N31 billion in interest differentials recently. In all, oil marketers have received over N500 billion within the past five months.

The minister, while announcing the release of the fund, urged the marketers to appreciate the efforts being made by the federal government to meet up with their payments and reciprocate with some understanding of the situation of Nigerians who should not suffer more. She urged the marketers to sustain the distribution and supply of fuel to end the suffering of Nigerians at fuel stations.

However, Achese who stated that the payment would not end fuel scarcity, while speaking to journalists in Lagos during a pre-May Day symposium organised by the Nigeria Labour Congress led by Comrade Joe Ajero’s group, said scarcity would continue as long as the country keeps importing fuel.

Meanwhile, the acute fuel scarcity plaguing most parts of the country has taken a serious toll on residents of Oyo State, such that motorists have resorted to the black market where a litre of fuel goes for as high as N300.

The development has left commuters stranded at various bus stops, waiting endlessly for commercial vehicles, most of whom are stuck in fuel queues for several hours. Depending on the distance, transport fares have risen between 50 and 100 per cent.

LEADERSHIP investigation showed that four litres of petrol, which should ordinarily cost N348 at N87 per litre, is sold in Oyo for N1,200 at the black market.

At petrol stations, fuel sells for between N100 and N150 per litre; some petrol attendants who spoke with our correspondent said it was “another opportunity to make money.”

In Osun, motorists and commuters are similarly having a hectic time due to the acute scarcity of petrol as members of the Major Marketers Association of Nigeria (MOMAN) have stopped lifting petroleum products owing to debts allegedly owed them by government.

Our correspondent reports that over 95 per cent of filling stations in the state, including the federal government-owned NNPC stations, were closed to customers while the few with product were besieged by motorists despite the imposition of arbitrary pump price on them.

Commercial drivers have hiked their fares, as most of them have to purchase fuel from the black market at a minimum of N130 per litre.

In Abuja, only a handful of filling stations are open for business as motorists now depend largely on black marketers who sell a litre for between N200 and N250.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG by loomer: 7:16am On May 01, 2015
See how dem de call money sha

2 Likes

Re: Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG by Blakjewelry(m): 7:24am On May 01, 2015
I don't know it is this bad in some places, where I am in Delta state it is not that bad, except for those who wants to queue for the most cheapest

3 Likes

Re: Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG by baybeeboi: 7:25am On May 01, 2015
this is serious
Re: Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG by SleekyP(m): 7:25am On May 01, 2015
Blakjewelry:
I don't know it is this bad in some places, where I am in Delta state it is not that bad, except for those who wants to queue for the most cheapest
very very bad in lagos.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG by Strongfaze(m): 7:30am On May 01, 2015
NUPENG na una want vex pass us? We all know SURE-P is a massive fraud.

4 Likes

Re: Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG by Ezedon(m): 7:47am On May 01, 2015
These are the people that contributed to fall of GEJ

1 Like

Re: Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG by Burger01(m): 7:57am On May 01, 2015
He who have ears let him hear.
Subsidy must go!
Importation of fuel must stop!
Refineries must be revived and resurrected.
The subsidy cabals must be dealt with!
We must work hand in hand with the incoming government to make Nigeria great.
We shall get there and we WILL get there!
In God we trust for Buhari.
Happy 'changeover' monthsmiley

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG by SleekyP(m): 8:01am On May 01, 2015
Burger01:
He who have ears let him hear.

Subsidy must go!

Importation of fuel must stop!

Refineries must be revived and resurrected.

The subsidy cabals must be dealt with!

We must work hand in hand with the incoming government to make Nigeria great.

We shall get there and we WILL get there!

In God we trust for Buhari.

Happy 'changeover' monthsmiley

On Point!!!

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG by Nobody: 8:08am On May 01, 2015
A rotten patch of land governed by imbeciles.It's the 6th consecutive day without power.Buhari will need face to face psychic session with Jesus Christ to steer this country forward.16 years of blatant corruptions and failed economy can't be fixed in 4 years.

13 Likes

Re: Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG by SleekyP(m): 8:12am On May 01, 2015
Eugenedimgba:
A rotten patch of land governed by imbeciles.It's the 6th consecutive day without power.Buhari will need face to face psychic session with Jesus Christ to steer this country forward.16 years of blatant corruptions and failed economy can't be fixed in 4 years.
GMB till 2023 wink

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG by Medley(m): 8:14am On May 01, 2015
why the sudden need for refinery? Will the refinery be built in a month before may 29? Wouldn't it be wise and expedient that they wait for the incoming administration and look into their plans? Is this move not ill maked,as it will further affect our economy and the poor masses?

2 Likes

Re: Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG by SleekyP(m): 8:46am On May 01, 2015
Medley:
why the sudden need for refinery? Will the refinery be built in a month before may 29? Wouldn't it be wise and expedient that they wait for the incoming administration and look into their plans? Is this move not ill maked,as it will further affect our economy and the poor masses?
Re: Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG by ionsman: 8:57am On May 01, 2015
Whatever happens,its we the masses that suffers everything. .....We deserve whatever we get.

4 Likes

Re: Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG by stepo707: 9:27am On May 01, 2015
I guess we are screwed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG by Nobody: 10:00am On May 01, 2015
GMB would rectify all these

GMB my HERO
AMEACHI my ROLE MODEL

7 Likes

Re: Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG by SleekyP(m): 10:03am On May 01, 2015
Jklue007:
GMB would rectify all these

GMB my HERO
AMEACHI my ROLE MODEL

tell them bro grin grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG by HzRF(m): 10:19am On May 01, 2015
loomer:
See how dem de call money sha
Lol

1 Like

Re: Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG by lexychuks(m): 10:19am On May 01, 2015
I don't know, I just don't know!
Re: Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG by ShowYourCertificate: 10:30am On May 01, 2015
Jonathan was able to manage our situation very well. We hardly witnessed fuel scarcity even during festive seasons. Now he has been voted out of office, it is now Buhari's headache on how to manage this fuel scarcity incidents. Let's see how the senile certificateless dictator will achieve this.

3 Likes

Re: Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG by DaGC(m): 10:34am On May 01, 2015
Blakjewelry:

Guess its really bad in other states. I got 120ltr yesterday morning, without even queing.

Well, hopefully, the matter is resolved in the badly affected areas soon.

1 Like

Re: Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG by DaGC(m): 10:40am On May 01, 2015
Eugenedimgba:

I dont think we should be making excuses for our leaders like you just did. It might make them complacent. They are not kids. We should hold them accountable to their promises. They knew what they were signing on for when they started making promises.

Nigeria's problems did not start in 1999, so all those '16years' crap should stop. It started way before 1999, but it was hinged on the present administration while previous ones were exempted from blame.

Which is why I think the General will work to try and beat the achievements of the present administration. But with us making excuses for them, like saying '4years is not enough', he might get complacent.

#PeacefulNigeria
#UnitedNigeria

13 Likes

Re: Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG by ogawisdom(m): 11:02am On May 01, 2015
Relax d miracle worker Buhari will fix everything wink

Even d injustices by some mods on NL dt ensures my threads dnt make fp. D mods involved will b prosecuted by Buhari grin

1 Like

Re: Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG by Csami(m): 11:02am On May 01, 2015
Blaming someone will make me feel good. Who's to be blame?

Build refinery dem say no
Oya repair the ones wey dey exist dem begin sing story for the gods.

I wish one can hibernate for years, I swear I for go like 15years break.
Are we going forward or backward? Africa largest economy ma azz!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG by afrinaija2: 11:03am On May 01, 2015
j
Re: Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG by magabounce(m): 11:03am On May 01, 2015
ok
Re: Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG by chynie: 11:03am On May 01, 2015
Re: Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG by allanphash7(m): 11:05am On May 01, 2015
Na wah o

Jonah just decided to finish dis country before may 29

How can i pray for this administration after may 29

how can i like d present President after his depature

mehn! i regretted votin u on April 2011 but am happy now dat i was among those who voted you out again

smh for u

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Payment Of Subsidy Won’t Stop Fuel Scarcity – NUPENG by boxypane(m): 11:06am On May 01, 2015
Eugenedimgba:
It can be done brother.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Agatu Killings: Benue Threatens Reprisal, Urges Fg’s Intervention / APC Committee On Restructuring Holds First Meeting (PHOTOS) / Oil Bunkering ; Nigerian Navy Hands Over Vessel And Nine Suspects To EFCC - Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.