Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,787 members, 7,798,651 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:58 AM

What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie (4870 Views)

Photo: Chimamanda adichie With Her Handsome Husband / Chimamanda Adichie's New Hair Style: Like Or Dislike? / Chimamanda Adichie & Husband Ivara Esege (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by SALady(f): 1:53pm On Dec 07, 2009
I read from her (all her books) and this is when I started to pick on a particular interest on nigerians and their way of life. In SA nigerians are totally dismissed as drug pushers and quite frankly not paid much attention to since a nigerian image and reputation has been left tarnished. Having read from her has brought a whole new awareness and impact in my life in that, I am now finding myself wanting to know more about nigerians e.g. where they come from, their culture, customs and believes etc. Oh! not to mention why they talk so loud LOL!

Guess what, I've even made friends with some and have discovered this resounding pulse within a Nigerian that I believe can never be found in any other african native out there. Their sense of pride in who they are. They are sooo true to themselves whether good or bad and that's the make of a truly exeptional being.

I dont mean to drift on the topic about Chimamande, what I am simply trying to pass over is that, through her writing she has managed to get non nigerians like myself to want to know more and better about nigerians. What works more for her is her age, which is good in that it allows her to capture a larger audience of her age group (still active and hungry for information). I think she should be celebrated euqually and be put in the same league as Chinua et al. She has it in her to be talked about. To tell a story in writing that makes a reader to create mental pictures of a place they've never seen before is the makings of an exeptional writer.

As I read through Half of a yellow sun I could smell the environment of each and every place she took me to. I could could see the faces of the characters, I could feel their emotions and it was amazing how real they were in my head. Everytime I was away from the book I would miss the characters. That is the power of good writing.  She's got the most simple, most graphic and tasteful writing. She doesn't even try too hard to sound intelligent, which I found exceptionaly classy, I find this a huge problem with most SA writers who try so hard to sound ever so poetic and politicaly inclined in their writing, hence I am not always eager to read from them.

Ya'll should be proud of her she's a GEM indeed, Once again another niger putting you on the world wide map.
Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by adebayo201: 3:36pm On Dec 07, 2009
Cyberfreak:

Please can anyone who lives in Lagos tell me where to get Isidore's, Chimamanda's and other Nigerian novels? Thanks

[center]

ojuelegba[/center]
Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by kanor: 2:30pm On Apr 21, 2010
Adebayo & Cyberfreak, u can buy Chimamanda's, wole soyinka, and other Nigerian novels online at the nigerian online bookstore: walahi.com (www.walahi.com). I have seen some titles there.

Nigeria should move up from literally (fiction and storytelling ) writers to also scientific writing. The only nobel prize winner in Nigeria is a humanities writer. We need to write in techical disciplines like computer programming, medicine, telecommunication, Banking and finance, governance and engineering. The market is much. Writing on these areas helps to solve problems. Story telling is okay, but we need to diversify.
Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 1:36pm On Apr 24, 2010
I love her
Re: What Do U Think Of Writer Chimamanda Adichie by Ndipe(m): 10:27pm On Oct 04, 2017
She's off the hinges.

I was reading Half Of A Yellow Sun when I was having WAEC. I couldn't put it down, it was just too much.

I passed my WAEC.

I had a similar experience though with a different novel. When I was preparing for my SSCE Examinations, one of the novels we had to read for the English Literature portion of the examination was "So Long a Letter" by Mariama Ba. I liked the novel, it still remains one of my favorite (if not favorite) novels in the world. And when the results came out, English Literature was the best score that I had of all the subjects that I took.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Funny Facts About English Language / 5 Reasons You Need A Blog As A Writer / The Adventures Of A Nigga

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.