Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,075 members, 7,807,217 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:13 AM

How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) (14122 Views)

Nigerian Economy: Here Are Some Profitable Online Businesses You Can Start / Man Investigates Claim Made About A Chinese Store In Abuja With Photos / Some Things Online Store Do Which We Don’t Know About (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by iMerchant: 12:29pm On May 29, 2015
Happy Birthday

It's a celebration.

My experiment and first venture into entrepreneur world just turned 1 years old.

Here are some crazy facts:

1. My first product sourcing was made on May 29th, 2014 ($69.19)

2. First Sales Online was done on Kaymu (22/07/2014)

3. First Sale on Konga (10/08/2014)

4. First Delivery was done at Ojodu Berger, Lagos

5. First delivery outside Lagos was via Konga to Port Harcourt.

6. First sales on Facebook page was delivered to Alaba.

7. First WhatsApp sale was delivered to Festac.

8. Our weekly sales have exceed our startup capital.

9. The first successful sale was done in my room.

10. The first Call To Order sale was delivered to Ikota.

11. The first "Free Delivery" sale was delivered to Ojodu Berger.

12. The first sale on BuyMart.com.ng was delivered to Lekki.

What more could a proud sideprenuer ask for?

Thank You for being awesome and we appreciate your business.

6 Likes

Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by skentelelady(f): 3:10pm On May 29, 2015
iMerchant:
Happy Birthday
It's a celebration.
My experiment and first venture into entrepreneur world just turned 1 years old.

I hope to celebrate like this one day

Congrats bro.

Many more prosperous years ahead
Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by iMerchant: 3:25pm On May 29, 2015
skentelelady:

I hope to celebrate like this one day

Congrats bro.

Many more prosperous years ahead

Thanks Ma.

Just like they say, a journey of a thousand miles start with a step.

I never anticipated it will be this awesome with so many lessons and great experiences.

I can remember the first of everything.

1. The first return.
2. The first lost sales.
3. The first enquiry.
4. The first unsuccessful delivery.
5. The first time I got free DHL shipping from a supplier.

Thank You for sharing in the joy.
Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by Nobody: 5:03pm On May 29, 2015
iMerchant:

Thanks Ma.

Just like they say, a journey of a thousand miles start with a step.

I never anticipated it will be this awesome with so many lessons and great experiences.

I can remember the first of everything.

1. The first return.
2. The first lost sales.
3. The first enquiry.
4. The first unsuccessful delivery.
5. The first time I got free DHL shipping from a supplier.

Thank You for sharing in the joy.
congratulations bro... And well done for all these tutorials, tips and lessons
Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by Nobody: 5:11pm On May 29, 2015
iMerchant:
Happy Birthday

It's a celebration.

I guess "Happy Birthday" is in order. Keep shining.
Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by jjbest123(m): 5:18pm On May 29, 2015
Hello I merchant,
First of all I must say congratulations on your success,it is not easy more grease to your elbow. I must say thank you for creating such a nice and educating thread here for we the novice to learn from,I more than happy to come see it. As a novice there are lot if things I would like to know about and am going to be asking the question one after the other on this thread for others like me to learn from,so saying am going to start by asking this question,
What are the requirements one needs to build a photo studio for capturing images?
Like I said I will be asking the question one after the other, looking forward to your replies.
For newbies like me I will be contributing my own quota to this thread starting from what you should know about your site before launching an online presence.
Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by iMerchant: 5:38pm On May 29, 2015
dbestguy:
congratulations bro... And well done for all these tutorials, tips and lessons

Thanks
Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by iMerchant: 5:39pm On May 29, 2015
veegirl:

I guess "Happy Birthday" is in order. Keep shining.
Thanks
Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by iMerchant: 5:57pm On May 29, 2015
jjbest123:
Hello I merchant,
First of all I must say congratulations on your success,it is not easy more grease to your elbow. I must say thank you for creating such a nice and educating thread here for we the novice to learn from,I more than happy to come see it. As a novice there are lot if things I would like to know about and am going to be asking the question one after the other on this thread for others like me to learn from,so saying am going to start by asking this question,
What are the requirements one needs to build a photo studio for capturing images?
Like I said I will be asking the question one after the other, looking forward to your replies.
For newbies like me I will be contributing my own quota to this thread starting from what you should know about your site before launching an online presence.

Thanks for sharing in the joy.

Abeg, let me ask you a question, are you a wizard abi una get supernatural powers to read minds like Kyle XY?

I have said before in my previous articles on this thread and our blog that Photos sell products online. A great product with a bad image will not sell.

I recently (Classified - Don't tell anyone this secret ooooooo or else I will ban you on Nairaland #Smiles) start building my photo studio for product photography.

I am 75% done. I will share the experience because I am currently doing A/B testing.

There are different types of studios you can build depending on your budget and products.

If you sell portable items like bags, Jewelry or wristwatches you can buy either of the following:

1. Softbox
2. 2 or 3 light stands
3. A tripod (Camera Holder)
4. DSLR camera or use your phone camera if you have a good megapixel.

or

1. Product Table
2. 3 Lighting softbox with stand
3. Tripod
4. Camera lens (If you want to use your phone)
5. DSLR camera.

If you're selling clothing materials or big items you need the following:

1. Background stand (White, Black, Red or Gray)
2. Light stand with softbox
3. Tripod
4. Camera Len
5. DSLR camera

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by iMerchant: 6:03pm On May 29, 2015
iMerchant:

Thanks for sharing in the joy.

Abeg, let me ask you a question, are you a wizard abi una get supernatural powers to read minds like Kyle XY?

I have said before in my previous articles on this thread and our blog that Photos sell products online. A great product with a bad image will not sell.

I recently (Classified - Don't tell anyone this secret ooooooo or else I will ban you on Nairaland #Smiles) start building my photo studio for product photography.

I am 75% done. I will share the experience because I am currently doing A/B testing.

There are different types of studios you can build depending on your budget and products.

If you sell portable items like bags, Jewelry or wristwatches you can buy either of the following:

1. Softbox
2. 2 or 3 light stands
3. A tripod (Camera Holder)
4. DSLR camera or use your phone camera if you have a good megapixel.

or

1. Product Table
2. 3 Lighting softbox with stand
3. Tripod
4. Camera lens (If you want to use your phone)
5. DSLR camera.

If you're selling clothing materials or big items you need the following:

1. Background stand (White, Black, Red or Gray)
2. Light stand with softbox
3. Tripod
4. Camera Len
5. DSLR camera

The pictures below are taken with Infinix Zero.

2 Likes

Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by iamord(m): 9:49pm On May 29, 2015
This is one of the best threads I have come across.

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by nansng: 9:49pm On May 29, 2015
Great topic IMerchant, Is there any implication for using the product photo i.e. the ones posted on the site where you actually bought the product. e.g. allie express, would konga reject such apps. and the email you left is not going through, can you check again and leave the right mail. Then Secondly, is this business possible to be run by someone living in the diaspora?
Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by nansng: 10:00pm On May 29, 2015
On alie express, I can see that orders take between 15-60 to deliver from China to Nigeria, how do you deal with that?
Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by jjbest123(m): 2:14am On May 30, 2015
iamord:
Well at my boss, I intend having a standard E-commerce website just like jumia and konga because that has been passion right from time,as for reading your mind when you are at the right track things goes like that.
Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by iMerchant: 7:48am On May 30, 2015
iamord:

Thanks Boss
Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by iMerchant: 8:06am On May 30, 2015
nansng:
Great topic IMerchant, Is there any implication for using the product photo i.e. the ones posted on the site where you actually bought the product. e.g. allie express, would konga reject such apps. and the email you left is not going through, can you check again and leave the right mail. Then Secondly, is this business possible to be run by someone living in the diaspora?

The one on aliexpress are great but generic. They are sometimes watermarked by seller on aliexpress.

Konga will not reject your your product listing as far as you get good images with white background of the product.

Yes you can as far as you have someone that will handle delivery. When people order for your products you have to deliver. If you're a merchant on Konga, when you get orders you have to deliver at drop off centre.

eCommerce business gives you the ability to be location independent as far as you can arrange your deliveries to the customers.
Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by iMerchant: 8:10am On May 30, 2015
nansng:
On alie express, I can see that orders take between 15-60 to deliver from China to Nigeria, how do you deal with that?

Aliexpress is a marketplace with different sellers.

Use the search button to look for what you want to buy and use the filter button too to see which seller offer free shipping for what you wanna buy.

I have bought stuff less than $20 and still get it shipped to Nigeria for Free.

I have also bought stuffs and get free DHL shipping to Nigeria.
Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by iMerchant: 8:32am On May 30, 2015
jjbest123:

Well at my boss, I intend having a standard E-commerce website just like jumia and konga because that has been passion right from time,as for reading your mind when you are at the right track things goes like that.

Well like I said, you're very good at reading minds. You will make a fortune if you develop your capacity because me self want the abilities to read minds but only customers minds #Smiles.

You have to start from somewhere. Konga start as an eCommerce portal likewise Jumia.

Both companies official launched their marketplace platform last year (2014) and that have help them host variety of products on their site.

Am sure Sim Shagaya, doesn't plan to sell cars and trailer load of Dangote Cements on the platform if not t
he marketplace. Now konga sells a lot of products that you can never imagined when they start.

You have to start from somewhere maybe as an eCommerce site, build your brand etc.

Konga and Jumia have several millions of Dollars in investment already.
Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by iMerchant: 8:48am On May 30, 2015
nansng:

Please note that you don't necessarily need to build a photo studio before you start selling online.

I didn't have a photo studio when I start because the cost sef go chase me and discourage me from starting.

My initial startup capital was #10,000 #smiles so I couldn't have possibly build a photo studio when I start this experiment that later manifest to business.

Beside you can hire a good photographer to take your product pictures for you if you are just starting and do not have good images of your product.

The cheapest photo studio will set you back with $350 without camera. The cheapest DSLR camera will cost you more than $400 without other investment in lens and tripod.

So i grin
nansng:

Please note that you don't necessarily need to build a photo studio before you start selling online.

I didn't have a photo studio when I start because the cost sef go chase me and discourage me from starting.

My initial startup capital was #10,000 #smiles so I couldn't have possibly build a photo studio when I start this experiment that later manifest to business.

Beside you can hire a good photographer to take your product pictures for you if you are just starting and do not have good images of your product.

The cheapest photo studio will set you back with $350 without camera. The cheapest DSLR camera will cost you more than $400 without other investment in lens and tripod.

So, start small, think big and start today.
Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by nansng: 9:37am On May 30, 2015
iMerchant:

So i grin

So, start small, think big and start today.

Great response bro, As I can see the free shipping offer have seen so far delivers between 2wks and 12wks. did you experience such when you started. or the 12wks there is just a in case stuff, reason am asking is that no one want to wait for that long to get his product.

and Sir. aside from alien express or alibaba which other sites have you shop from.
Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by iamord(m): 10:39am On May 30, 2015
iMerchant:

Thanks Boss
can I have your contact. I will like to discuss some things with ir
Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by iMerchant: 11:17am On May 30, 2015
nansng:

Great response bro, As I can see the free shipping offer have seen so far delivers between 2wks and 12wks. did you experience such when you started. or the 12wks there is just a in case stuff, reason am asking is that no one want to wait for that long to get his product.

and Sir. aside from alien express or alibaba which other sites have you shop from.

12 weeks Ke?

Which kind free shipping be that?

Free shipping Max should not be longer than 3 weeks. if it takes more than that na refund sure pass.

You can source your product anywhere. You don't necessarily need to import. Just make sure you get the product at a price you can sell for profit.
Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by iMerchant: 11:19am On May 30, 2015
iamord:
can I have your contact. I will like to discuss some things with ir

Please send a PM sir or ask on the thread.

Thanks
Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by iMerchant: 8:37pm On Jun 01, 2015
My sincere apologies to all the great bosses on this thread.

I have received several requests from people to help them build their ecommerce site but were surprised that I said No.

Like I said on phone, email, Facebook chat and WhatsApp messages I am extremely busy to take web design project.

I really wanna help you build it because I love to make money but trust me 24 hours isn't enough daily.

Being a sideprenuer isn't easy in Lagos.

I will however try my best to help you achieve your objectives.

I am currently putting together a resources page on the blog for all newbies who want to build a profitable online store in Nigeria.

I will update the outdated resources page on the blog by tomorrow evening.

Let me give you a preview of what to expect on the blog resources page -

1. Domain Name Registration
2. Web Host
3. Shopping Cart
4. Marketplace
5. Payment Gateway
6. Marketing Tools

The new resource page will be live on the blog by 6pm tomorrow.

You can suggest or recommend great tools you have used and want me to include in the resource page.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by babasho1: 4:10am On Jun 02, 2015
Great job op. I stumbled on your thread at about 2am and it took away my sleep until I consumed every dot and cross of your write-ups.

I happens to be a self-trained Cms web designer. Somebody gave me this project (ecommerce site) as far back as year 2010. I did it using virtuemart on joomla. I did it but I thought it was not going to work had I known that this will turn out to be the in thing, I would have started mine long ago.

Even the importation business I became exposed to it in year 2009 via alibaba. My self a two of my friend lost a sum of N520,000 to alibaba. And that put me off.

However, with your story. Iam going back to my drawing board. Your story is indeed challenging.

Thanks and congrats on your 1year anniversary.
Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by iMerchant: 12:07pm On Jun 02, 2015
babasho1:
Great job op. I stumbled on your thread at about 2am and it took away my sleep until I consumed every dot and cross of your write-ups.

I happens to be a self-trained Cms web designer. Somebody gave me this project (ecommerce site) as far back as year 2010. I did it using virtuemart on joomla. I did it but I thought it was not going to work had I known that this will turn out to be the in thing, I would have started mine long ago.

Even the importation business I became exposed to it in year 2009 via alibaba. My self a two of my friend lost a sum of N520,000 to alibaba. And that put me off.

However, with your story. Iam going back to my drawing board. Your story is indeed challenging.

Thanks and congrats on your 1year anniversary.

Thanks for sharing your story and I am delighted you like the articles.

Business is about taking risks and being profitable in business also means being on the verge of making loss.

That is a very huge sum and an expensive lesson you learn.

Please make sure before you start again do assessment report to find out what went wrong that lead to the loss.

Importation is good with great risks. Thread carefully and beside you can also source your products locally or do drop-shipping (Yeah, it works in Nigeria too).

Thanks for the comment and Never Ever Give Up
Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by iMerchant: 4:27pm On Jun 02, 2015
Everything You Need to Build a Profitable Online Store in Nigeria.

I am usually asked,

1. What platform do you use to build your online store?
2. How and Where do you source your product.
3. Where do you register your domain name.
4. Which web host do you use
5. Which shopping cart are you using?
6. Which marketplace should I use to sell my products.
7. Which Payment processor do you use?

I have put together a page which will be useful to you when you want to build your online store.

http://www.realmoneyng.com/resources/

Disclosure - Please note that some of the links in the page are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase. cool grin

http://www.realmoneyng.com/resources/

2 Likes

Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by iMerchant: 9:53pm On Jun 04, 2015
Let everybody say No, if you believe in it, please go ahead. Remember you don't have to get it right but you have to get it going because you can't be great if you don't start.
Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by IamOdin: 1:02am On Jun 05, 2015
NICE WORK BRUH!!!.MORE GREASE TO YOUR BALLS.
Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by AleAirHub(m): 4:32am On Jun 05, 2015
Nice And Educative Updates....

Very Soon I Will Also Share My Success Stories On How Is Started My Online Importation Business With $300Dollar Last Two Years And I Have Been Enable To Use It To Pay My Tuition Fees Of $1210Dollar From 100Level To 200Level, Register My Company With CAC, Opening Company Bank Account And Also Have Some Great Cash Flow In The Business. All Credits Goes To God Ist Follow By YMODULUS & Oluwaseun Osewa....

Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by iMerchant: 6:26am On Jun 05, 2015
IamOdin:
NICE WORK BRUH!!!.MORE GREASE TO YOUR BALLS.

Thanks Boss
Re: How To Build A Profitable Online Store in Nigeria (My Story with BuyMart.com.ng) by iMerchant: 6:28am On Jun 05, 2015
AleAirHub:
Nice And Educative Updates....

Very Soon I Will Also Share My Success Stories On How Is Started My Online Importation Business With $300Dollar Last Two Years And I Have Been Enable To Use It To Pay My Tuition Fees Of $1210Dollar From 100Level To 200Level, Register My Company With CAC, Opening Company Bank Account And Also Have Some Great Cash Flow In The Business. All Credits Goes To God Ist Follow By YMODULUS & Oluwaseun Osewa....

Thanks

Thanks Boss

We are all waiting to read about your journey.

Am sure we have a a lot to learn from you.

Regards

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Legalwealth Handled This Well in the End / Bread Making Machine Needed / Jumia: 'africa's Amazon' In Landmark Stock Market Listing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.